View Full Version : Ruger Keeps Rolling Out the New Stuff--Precision 22LR

Tokarev
12-29-2017, 11:18 AM
https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

Interesting!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-29-2017, 11:39 AM
I know what my son (and I) are getting for his 6th birthday in a few weeks. :)I thought I was on some kind of anti-Ruger tangent yesterday with my scorn for the new PCC. But then they announce this.

Ruger's really good at certain things. Rimfire rifles are usually one of them.

Peally
12-29-2017, 12:04 PM
I thought I was on some kind of anti-Ruger tangent yesterday with my scorn for the new PCC. But then they announce this.

Ruger's really good at certain things. Rimfire rifles are usually one of them.

They must be doing something right, because I think the PCC is a neat idea and I have no idea what you'd use this rifle for. They're going to sell a bunch of both I think ;)

ranger
12-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Wow. Definitely want one.

peterb
12-29-2017, 12:20 PM
A feature I haven't seen on any other .22LR:

"Big-Gun bolt throw adjustment enables shooters to change from a rimfire 1-1/2'' bolt throw to a short-action centerfire 3'' bolt throw, reducing the chance of short-stroking your bolt in competition."

Tokarev
12-29-2017, 12:34 PM
They must be doing something right, because I think the PCC is a neat idea and I have no idea what you'd use this rifle for. They're going to sell a bunch of both I think ;)

Just shows what an incredibly diverse company Ruger is. Guns for Fudds, tactical shooters, plinkers, hunters, etc.

I guess the only thing they don't make is a defensive shotgun. What's up with that?

Clusterfrack
12-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Very cool. If I didn’t already have a .22 trainer I’d look seriously at this. Maybe after it’s been out for a year or two...

Zincwarrior
12-29-2017, 01:23 PM
https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

Interesting!

That's the most butt ugly .22 I have seen in a long, long time.

HCM
12-29-2017, 01:49 PM
That's the most butt ugly .22 I have seen in a long, long time.

That’s what Bill Ruger would have said. Of course the best thing that ever happened to Ruger was Bill Ruger dying so they could make something other than Fudd Guns.

Tokarev
12-29-2017, 02:42 PM
That’s what Bill Ruger would have said. Of course the best thing that ever happened to Ruger was Bill Ruger dying so they could make something other than Fudd Guns.Ruger still makes plenty of Fudd guns like the #1 and the Hawkeye. I might even throw the new PCC into the Fudd category.

ragnar_d
12-29-2017, 06:27 PM
That thing is screaming for one upgrade (IMO): 16". Integrally. Suppressed. Barrel.

Give me that and I'll even put up with the stock.

Sigfan26
12-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Ruger still makes plenty of Fudd guns like the #1 and the Hawkeye. I might even throw the new PCC into the Fudd category.

Let’s not forget the Min14 and Mini30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
12-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Ruger still makes plenty of Fudd guns like the #1 and the Hawkeye. I might even throw the new PCC into the Fudd category.

They do and there is nothing wrong with that. But that is not a reason to restrict development of other good projects. I'm pretty sure Bill Ruger would have never ok'ed the synthetic stock for the scout rifle (which makes the gun IMHO) much less rimfire suppressors and the Ruger precision rifle.

As someone who appreciates most everything from antiques to hunting guns to modern performance the "if it ain't walnut and steel it ain't shit" line gets old.

Re: Tne PCC just because it doesn't have a pistol grip doesn't make it a fudd gun. Not to mention there will be a huge market for the ban state version in CA and the NE. Some one at Ruger noticed the ridiculous prices the old PC carbines were bringing on Gunbroker.

Bigghoss
12-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Most of my guns are Fudd guns...

Seems interesting. I bought a Savage MK-II TR a while back which is in the same category. I would imagine that this is better although I much prefer the looks of my Savage or the CZ tacticool .22

Tokarev
12-29-2017, 10:14 PM
The PCC is a similar idea yet suffers the same problems the US military had 80 years ago with the M-1 Carbine, which is based on the Winchester SLR and the 32 WSL cartridge. Anemic and underpowered but kind of fun to shoot. Too big for pistol yet lacking the versatility that makes a rifle such a useful tool.

I've owned PCC's before but have never found them to be worth owning once the novelty wears off. Maybe as a dedicated suppressor host or as an SBR they have some merit. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see any real value in the idea.

LOBO
12-29-2017, 11:30 PM
Sweet!!

orionz06
12-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Looks like I gotta spend some money.

HCM
12-30-2017, 12:07 AM
The PCC is a similar idea yet suffers the same problems the US military had 80 years ago with the M-1 Carbine, which is based on the Winchester SLR and the 32 WSL cartridge. Anemic and underpowered but kind of fun to shoot. Too big for pistol yet lacking the versatility that makes a rifle such a useful tool.

I've owned PCC's before but have never found them to be worth owning once the novelty wears off. Maybe as a dedicated suppressor host or as an SBR they have some merit. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see any real value in the idea.

As a “police carbine” ? No. Would I issue this at work ? Also no.

For me it is a fun gun. 9mm is in many ways the new .22LR. I carry Glocks for work, have tons of Glock mags and get 9mm at work. Plus it addresses several of the issues I had with my prior PC 40 such as mag options, optics mounting and mounting a light.

But as a home defense option for people who would otherwise have a 10/22 such as: elderly or infirm who can’t manage a pistol due to physical limitations or people in places like NY state where long guns are significantly easier to buy and own than pistols, it has merit.

Tokarev
12-30-2017, 07:44 AM
As a “police carbine” ? No. Would I issue this at work ? Also no.

For me it is a fun gun. 9mm is in many ways the new .22LR. I carry Glocks for work, have tons of Glock mags and get 9mm at work.

You probably also have M16 mags and get 5.56 ammo from work, no?

I do get the fun aspect and have said I'm sure the gun is fun to shoot. Otherwise I'm just not seeing the practicality.

What's even more puzzling to me is my vocal complaining. It is as if Ruger has somehow personally offended me with this new firearm. Normally when I see a gun being made that doesn't interest me I go "merp" and just turn the page. But for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe I've been possessed by Bill Ruger's ghost or something.

Anyway, maybe I'll check one out once they start hitting dealer's shelves. Maybe my opinion will change once I've handled one.

HeavyDuty
12-30-2017, 08:15 AM
I’m definitely going to be getting in line for a rimfire Precision Rifle - it’ll make a perfect understudy for my .308 version.

SecondsCount
12-30-2017, 12:37 PM
I like it! My base model Ruger American bolt action is a shooter.

Precision 22 trainers, especially suppressed, are a blast to shoot.

Accurate Shooter has some fun targets that you can download:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/test-skills-in-rimfire-sniper-matches/

This is one of my favs
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/target1x180.png
Headshots on that target, even at 25 yards, are a challenge

Totem Polar
12-30-2017, 01:47 PM
What's even more puzzling to me is my vocal complaining. It is as if Ruger has somehow personally offended me with this new firearm. Normally when I see a gun being made that doesn't interest me I go "merp" and just turn the page. But for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe I've been possessed by Bill Ruger's ghost or something.

I’ll cop to being entertained by your reaction. I totally get it though; sometimes shit offends us just by being. Every time I see that Tom Cruise has been cast in yet another high-profile role from print literature, I get the urge to punch a kitten.

But this Ruger, much like Tom Cruise being cast as Reacher/Lestat/whomever, will probably prove a success despite you and I’s deep gut-level initial reactions to the contrary.

I’ve already said my piece on why this PCC beat-glock-to-their-own-punch thing is the mermaid’s tits for me. I’ll be sure to let you know if I get an Oscar-worthy performance out of mine. :D

Totem Polar
01-11-2018, 02:46 AM
Fondled one of these at the LGS today: now I want it. What a cool looking rifle. The 2 they got in sold the same day.

HCM
06-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Picked up one of these. Need to mount an optic. Have a 3-9x accupoint on the shelf but looking at something with a mil or MOA reticle eventually.

HCM
06-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Picked up one of these. Need to mount an optic. Have a 3-9x accupoint on the shelf but looking at something with a mil or MOA reticle eventually.

Got the pawnshop Accupoint mounted in weaver med rings. May need higher rings in the future. The 40mm objective of the accupoint barely clears.

Squeezed in an hour at the range - rough zero at 25. Will need to re-zero at 50 in the future.

ranger
06-03-2018, 06:37 PM

I know it is heresy to recommend a cheap scope but I am finding the Primary Arms 4-14 with the mil dot reticle to work well for these "practice PS" rifles.

HCM
06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
I know it is heresy to recommend a cheap scope but I am finding the Primary Arms 4-14 with the mil dot reticle to work well for these "practice PS" rifles.

I was thinking about this Vortex diamond back tactical which is in the same price range

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-tactical-4-12x40-riflescope-with-vmr-1-reticle/reticle

cmbarny2
06-07-2018, 01:19 PM
So now that these have been out for a wee bit how are they handling? Accurate or hit or miss? I've heard good and bad about the regular RPR rifle but the 22lr version just looks so cool.