PDA

View Full Version : Ruger’s new PCC

Pages : [1] 2

HCM
12-28-2017, 12:12 AM
It appears Ruger has a new version of their Pistol Caliber Carbine. Recoil posted and then quickly pulled the photo below.

It appears to be a takedown with a modular mag well. I had a Ruger PC 40 and the restriction to magazines for the now discontinued P94 was a negative.

andre3k
12-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Those old PC's bring some pretty high prices on Gunbroker. They will probably debut it at SHOT.

gkieser92
12-28-2017, 02:22 AM
In the picture it looks like a takedown with modular magwells. If that is case, color me interested.

elsquid
12-28-2017, 02:27 AM
From: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1411816

https://i.imgur.com/kiA76J7.png

https://www.glocktalk.com/attachments/rugerpcc-5-675x164-jpg.373540/

-- Michael

Wake27
12-28-2017, 03:25 AM
Woah. I may actually buy a Ruger, depending on the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skroob
12-28-2017, 03:28 AM
Looks...interesting. The front stock is not too pleasing to the eye. And it gives off a Hi Point carbine feel from the photo. But I am happy it’s not a 9mm version of their AR.

jellydonut
12-28-2017, 05:38 AM
Now wait just one hot minute? The option to take Glock mags?

Did not expect this from Ruger. Sign me up.

olstyn
12-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Given the takedown nature of it, is it sketchy to have a rail for mounting optics on the receiver instead of mounting that to the barrel? Won't that introduce potential for accuracy issues at medium/long ranges?

Screwball
12-28-2017, 07:33 AM
If the do a .45, and it allows use with Glock 30 magazines, I’m in.

Have .40 M&Ps, but also have a .40 SUB-2000 that takes those. If they do a .40, I’d give that a maybe... but probably not.

JHC
12-28-2017, 08:13 AM
10mm using G20 mags please.

Poconnor
12-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Takes glock 9mm mags? Last round bolt hold open ? Takedown? I’ll get three if they work

LOKNLOD
12-28-2017, 10:08 AM

This wasn’t my immediate thought, and yet I’m digging that idea.

Didn’t they just come out with a rather nonsensical 10mm revolver? Clearly there are some 10mm fans floating around Ruger.

mtnbkr
12-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Oh hell. I may have to get one depending on the price.

Chris

Lester Polfus
12-28-2017, 10:13 AM
One in 9mm would make a nice companion to my wife's Glock 19.

One in 10mm would make a nice companion to my Glock 20. I'd hunt deer with that here on the property, no problem.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Well, Ruger appears to be heading back to the future with a pistol caliber carbine. According to the website it will work with mags from the Security 9.

I'm sure the new carbine is fun to shoot but ultimately seems pretty pointless. Hasn't the Beretta Storm, Marlin Camp Carbine, Ruger PC9/40 already been done? Yeah the magazine interface is kind of neat but that's about it.

Talk about yawn....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Glenn E. Meyer
12-28-2017, 12:06 PM
That's interesting to me for several reasons:

1. The original guns were promoted for police in part to avoid the politically incorrect AR platforms. When pointed out that the rounds would not be so useful in the LA Bank Robbery shootout, one gun rag writer said - that at least you could more accurate leg shots.

2. With IDPA having a pistol caliber divison, that might be a nice gun for that and not that expensive as compared to some AR platforms.

3. It might be a nice, go every state long arm that doesn't light up the states with AWBs. So if you moved to NY for instance, and wanted to shoot IDPA, you would have to wait and hope you could get a pistol permit - but it takes a long time. Now, you could have an inexpensive pistol caliber carbine to compete in regular matches until approved. Also, a good HD gun.

So if it isn't too expensive, I'd be interested - if I could lift a rifle again (rant about car accidents and seeing the surgeons next year - haha - next week).

Totem Polar
12-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Well, Ruger appears to be heading back to the future with a pistol caliber carbine. According to the website it will work with mags from the Security 9.

I'm sure the new carbine is fun to shoot but ultimately seems pretty pointless. Hasn't the Beretta Storm, Marlin Camp Carbine, Ruger PC9/40 already been done? Yeah the magazine interface is kind of neat but that's about it.

Talk about yawn....

^^^Given advertised compatibility with Glock magazines, I’m not personally yawning, and the marketplace may be caffeinated too. How long have we been waiting for a "glock carbine" that’s at least good enough not to be bad? And it’s a takedown...

I’ve certainly spent more money on dumber shit in my day; I’d throw one in the safe at anticipated street prices, as part of my inexorable caliber consolidating.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

pangloss
12-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Interesting. I saw this on Recoil's RSS feed, but the page didn't load when I tried to click through. Accepting Glock mags will really increase the appeal, as will the fact that this is a take down model. However, in 9mm I don't see this doing anything that the Beretta CX4 doesn't generally do.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 01:10 PM
^^^Given advertised compatibility with Glock magazines, I’m not personally yawning, and the marketplace may be caffeinated too. How long have we been waiting for a "glock carbine" that’s at least good enough not to be bad? And it’s a takedown...

I’ve certainly spent more money on dumber shit in my day; I’d throw one in the safe at anticipated street prices, as part of my inexorable caliber consolidating.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.htmlSeems the various internet forums are pretty excited about the new carbine so I guess I'm in the minority.

BN
12-28-2017, 01:10 PM
I probably ought to have one of these. :)

edit to add: It looks like this might have an adjustable comb and stock length. That would be great. The American series of Ruger rifles have those.

rjohnson4405
12-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Given the takedown nature of it, is it sketchy to have a rail for mounting optics on the receiver instead of mounting that to the barrel? Won't that introduce potential for accuracy issues at medium/long ranges?

Obviously, it's all conjecture at this point but I'm doubting it makes much difference at less than 25 yards. At 50-100? I'd be willing to bet you'd see a real difference. Depends on what you want the gun for.

Totem Polar
12-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Seems the various internet forums are pretty excited about the new carbine so I guess I'm in the minority.

Well, I feel the same about most fora as you do about the carbine... :D

That acknowledged, reasons:
1) “common glock mags" (I have a few)
2) 9mm (cheap; plus, I have... some... on hand...)
3) pistol-caliber only member range 4 min from my house
4) takedown capability
5) beginning shooters
6) cans
7)... well, there really isn’t a 7 I can think of at the moment. This is pure fun gun/practice rig/rehabilitation for me. No HD or ‘truck gun’ or any of that. But if this thing functions with magpul Gmags, I could pick it up from the LGS and commence running 3-400 rounds through it within minutes. Way back in college days, an acquaintance of mine had a camp carbine: that thing, plus a few tennis balls and the week’s worth of empty guiness cans would provide an afternoon of great fun. Man, I need an old-school outdoor shooting hole again. Tennis balls and pine trees > paper hanging in a lane, complimentary coffee be damned.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Well, I feel the same about most fora as you do about the carbine... :D

That acknowledged, reasons:
4) takedown capability
5) beginning shooters
6) cans
7)... well, there really isn’t a 7 I can think of at the moment. This is pure fun gun/practice rig/rehabilitation for me. No HD or ‘truck gun’ or any of that. But if this thing functions with magpul Gmags, I could pick it up from the LGS and commence running 3-400 rounds through it within minutes. Way back in college days, an acquaintance of mine had a camp carbine: that thing, plus a few tennis balls and the week’s worth of empty guiness cans would provide an afternoon of great fun. Man, I need an old-school outdoor shooting hole again. Tennis balls and pine trees > paper hanging in a lane, complimentary coffee be damned.I understand the reasons why some will see a use for such a gun. I'm just not one of them.

Personally I would have rather seen a hicap 1911 based off the Caspian frame that retails for about a Grand. Or a reintroduction of the old school Mini-14 folding stock.

Not that Ruger has to cater their products to my wants and wishes....

Glenn E. Meyer
12-28-2017, 01:36 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/28/new-release-ruger-pc-carbine-9mm/

Good pictures and write up

Totem Polar
12-28-2017, 01:42 PM
I posted this response in the pistol thread, because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe not my finest moment...

At any rate, barring disaster, I’m in:

reasons:
4) takedown capability
5) beginning shooters
6) cans
7)... well, there really isn’t a 7 I can think of at the moment. This is pure fun gun/practice rig/rehabilitation for me. No HD or ‘truck gun’ or any of that. But if this thing functions with magpul Gmags, I could pick it up from the LGS and commence running 3-400 rounds through it within minutes...

Kyle Reese
12-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Oh hell. I may have to get one depending on the price.

ChrisSame here. With a 9mm can and some 33 round Glock mags this would be a fun range gun.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Jeep
12-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Will a blowback action handle hot 10mm's? I have a PC 40--which is accurate and hard hitting, but very heavy because of the bolt. For a 10mm, Ruger would have to make sure it worked for all non-+p loads, and there are some pretty hot 10mm loads out there. I think that either they'd have to make the bolt even heavier or make it gas operated, and a take-down model and gas operation wouldn't go together very well.

The truth is, though, that 155 and 165gr .40 cal loads out of a carbine are going to be travelling at the speed of a hot 10 mm from a handgun, so you might not need a true 10 mm carbine.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Jeff Quinn's review.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-PCCarbine.htm

frozentundra
12-28-2017, 01:55 PM
If the carbine runs well on 17 and 33 round glock mags, and it sells well, aftermarket will probably release stock assemblies(side folding, pistol grip, ar buffer tube adapting, magpuling, tacticooling) and this gun will rule the known universe in 3 or 4 years. Ruger is good at playing to the aftermarket. It is known.

BN
12-28-2017, 01:59 PM
https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

TheNewbie
12-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Jeff Quinn's review.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-PCCarbine.htm

That review actually moved me from the yawn camp to the interested camp.

Is CCI blazer brass not the best ammo? I haven't shot the stuff in years.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 02:13 PM
That review actually moved me from the yawn camp to the interested camp.

Is CCI blazer brass not the best ammo? I haven't shot the stuff in years.The only thing Jeff said that I agree with is wanting a rifle sized gun in a rifle cartridge.

Jared
12-28-2017, 02:25 PM
This might give me an excuse to actually buy a 33 round Glock mag....

Lester Polfus
12-28-2017, 03:23 PM

They are a bit much in a pistol.

TheNewbie
12-28-2017, 03:37 PM
The only thing Jeff said that I agree with is wanting a rifle sized gun in a rifle cartridge.

I imagine Jeff is a nice guy but I take his reviews for what they are. I'm that odd guy who likes the idea of small pistol caliber rifle. Especially one that can take Glock mags as well as the ruger mags.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 03:38 PM
If the carbine runs well on 17 and 33 round glock mags, and it sells well, aftermarket will probably release stock assemblies(side folding, pistol grip, ar buffer tube adapting, magpuling, tacticooling) and this gun will rule the known universe in 3 or 4 years. Ruger is good at playing to the aftermarket. It is known.This makes me wonder why Ruger isn't taking care of the aftermarket itself. Surely there are enough people out there who would want a folding stock. Ideally Ruger would make a hinge and stock assembly that would work across the Mini, 10/22, Gunsite Scout, etc. Whichever rifle stock could then be cut off at the wrist and have this hinge piece installed. I'm thinking of something like what VLTOR does for the M14/M1A folder.

Everyone liked the original Mini14 stock. But maybe that's just because they're now expensive collector items.

andre3k
12-28-2017, 03:44 PM
9mm is cool but 44mag would be mo betta. The 44mag deerfield carbines were really neat and practical guns.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 03:46 PM
9mm is cool but 44mag would be mo betta. The 44mag deerfield carbines were really neat and practical guns.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TapatalkI had one of those probably 25 years ago. I never hunted with it and really didn't even shoot it. Once the novelty of a 44 Magnum carbine wore off the gun had zero value.

andre3k
12-28-2017, 03:54 PM
I had one of those probably 25 years ago. I never hunted with it and really didn't even shoot it. Once the novelty of a 44 Magnum carbine wore off the gun had zero value.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TapatalkI would imagine a rifle that isn't used for hunting or even target shooting has little value to the owner. However for those of us that do hunt, especially hogs, a small carbine in 44mag is pretty useful. 75% of my shots are less than 100 yards. Honestly, this rifle in 9mm would work fine when I trap them instead of hunting from a stand.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 03:58 PM
I would imagine a rifle that isn't used for hunting or even target shooting has little value to the owner. However for those of us that do hunt, especially hogs, a small carbine in 44mag is pretty useful. 75% of my shots are less than 100 yards. Honestly, this rifle in 9mm would work fine when I trap them instead of hunting from a stand.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TapatalkHaving grown up in Montana, my idea of hunting rifles differs from yours.

I own plenty of guns that have no real purpose. I still own a Rossi 44 Magnum lever. I haven't shot that gun in a couple of decades and it has no practical value at this point in my life. But I'll keep it because I like it. I can't say the same about the Ruger 44.

BN
12-28-2017, 04:00 PM
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/1712281316103

blues
12-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Hmmm...

...I'll be watching for reviews among our own community.

ragnar_d
12-28-2017, 04:20 PM
I'll admit, I'm interested in this. I shot a PC4 and a CX4 a little back in the day and I've always kind of liked PCCs. They don't do a whole lot, but they're neat and fun. Between revolver releases and this new PCC, I like what Ruger is doing. Hell, even the Security 9 interests me a little bit from a budget handgun perspective.

If the carbine runs well on 17 and 33 round glock mags, and it sells well, aftermarket will probably release stock assemblies(side folding, pistol grip, ar buffer tube adapting, magpuling, tacticooling) and this gun will rule the known universe in 3 or 4 years. Ruger is good at playing to the aftermarket. It is known.
Depending on the volumes, I'd imagine a Magpul Backpacker stock wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibilities. That would make for a neat little package.

Bigghoss
12-28-2017, 04:44 PM
You guys have no idea how excited I am for this. I'm a big fan of the old Ruger P-series and missed out on a PC9 carbine. I'm very glad to see it takes Glock mags.

I need to grab a CX4 carbine at some point too.

Screwball
12-28-2017, 04:47 PM

It’s too small of a niche rifle for it to be profitable...

Likewise, a 10mm would be nice... but will it sell? 10mm has made a resurgence, but with the lack of interest in .40, I don’t see it as big of a hit as .45 (at least would make a decent suppressor host). If Ruger doesn’t do a .40, and jumped to 10mm, sales might give them the idea that expanding past 9mm isn’t worth it. Going .45, then 10mm... there is a little more room for lower demand.

I always see people want .44 semi rifles, but there must be a reason they don’t sell. I own a the older .44 (tube fed), and only got it because of chance. Didn’t go out with the idea I’d pick one up. But prefer it over the detachable magazine ones, as it is a very nice design (no magazines to hunt down).

vandal
12-28-2017, 05:00 PM
This will be one of very few options for a CA-legal "featureless" detachable mag semi-auto. We have the old Saiga sporter, the Ares/Fightlight SCR, the Kel-Tec SU-16, M1 Carbine... then all the "kydex fin on AR grip" wacky solutions.

Totem Polar
12-28-2017, 05:04 PM

Aside from OC and instagram wet dreaming, it would be the only excuse. Unless you know someone with an issued G18.

"Dude, your 33-round Glock stick is poking my eye out..."

(Actual quote from me to an open carrier with a Glock 9mm mag sprouting 4-6 inches out the top of a side cargo pants pocket at an art festival last summer)

blues
12-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Aside from OC and instagram wet dreaming, it would be the only excuse. Unless you know someone with an issued G18.

I keep one on the nightstand, one in the truck.

I used to laugh, (back in the day), at the guys that carried them on entries. Go figure.

TheNewbie
12-28-2017, 05:13 PM

I used to laugh, (back in the day), at the guys that carried them on entries. Go figure.

I would certainly want to be behind them. I have had zero bad guy guns pointed at me but many fellow LEO guns.

Ruger has me excited with their new releases. Do we have any idea what the price on these will be? I see the MSRP of 649.

Totem Polar
12-28-2017, 05:17 PM

Magpul, dude, because if you can’t do it with 27, you can’t do it at all.

(Confession: Most recent midway order contains... Magpul 21-rounder... :o [/busted...] )

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 05:18 PM
I would certainly want to be behind them. I have had zero bad guy guns pointed at me but many fellow LEO guns.

Ruger has me excited with their new releases. Do we have any idea what the price on these will be?Price looks like it may be low to mid 500.

blues
12-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Magpul, dude, because if you can’t do it with 27, you can’t do it at all.

(Confession: Most recent midway order contains... Magpul 21-rounder... :o [/busted...] )

My Magpuls are the boring 12, 15 and 17 rounders. (30 if you count the AR.)

Midway has some sales on the 33 rounder if you're ever so inclined, but I haven't checked in a while.

Bigghoss
12-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Ruger has me excited with their new releases. Do we have any idea what the price on these will be? I see the MSRP of 649.

This listing has them priced at $480 but not in stock yet so we shall see. I'm guessing $550-ish for the most part.

Poconnor
12-28-2017, 05:51 PM
I had a marlin camp carbine in 45 acp. I liked the concept. Mine wasnt reliable enough for home defense. I hope Ruger actually ships these and they work. Then they need to make the following-
1- integral 9mm supressed barrel
2. 1911-.45 acp version
3. Bolt action American takedown version, in .22lr, 9mm and .45

A takedown Ruger deLisle supressed carbine? In a magpul stock? Awesome!!!

Grouse870
12-28-2017, 06:05 PM
This is very interesting I really like PCC the adaptability is nice. It looks like it uses the 10/22 takedown collar which is nice since it adjustable for wear and seems to hold zero. I hope they offer different mag wells in the future hopefully an M&P version.

Tokarev
12-28-2017, 06:13 PM
I am actually surprised about all of the interest in this gun. But I am looking at it as either a competition firearm or a personal defensive weapon. I don't think it will fill either of those roles very well. Sure, it will work in either capacity but there are better choices out there for these roles.

With that said, I'm overlooking the fact that sometimes guns don't have to fit any specific role and they can be fun to own and shoot on their own merits. That's probably what this gun does. And if it is California legal, all the better since it will allow those who are Behind Enemy Lines to have access to a semi-automatic carbine.

Depending on how Ruger makes the magazine well, I can certainly see an aftermarket for these. Magpul or another company will no doubt make an adapter to use Beretta magazines, Smith magazines, CZ magazines, Etc.

fly out
12-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Out of the box, you can use SR or Security-9 mags. The Glock magwell ships with the gun. A Ruger American magwell can be purchased separately. I'm sure it would have been seductive to some at Ruger to include the American magwell, and sell the Glock separately. Or sell them both separately. They'll sell more guns with this approach.

I'm pleased to see companies introducing entirely new models. Barring a problem that crops up, these will sell.

GJM
12-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Based on watching a bunch of PCC shooters competing in USPSA, the carbine is a game changer for shooters that struggle with accuracy. The best use for this new Ruger is to augment a handgun as opposed to replace a rifle caliber long gun — especially since this breaks down into compact pieces and takes pistol magazines. It may also be a legal option in restrictive states. I could see sticking one of these in the back of the Cub when flying over CA, where a real long gun would be verboten.

Joe in PNG
12-28-2017, 08:06 PM
At that price point, I am rather interested. Why? Just cause.
I'm also guessing that the Glock magwell will take G26 mags, which would be kind of cool.

GJM
12-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Marlin models:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/28/new-marlin-lever-guns/

Totem Polar
12-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Marlin models:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/28/new-marlin-lever-guns/

Goddammit. I have been wanting a stainless, trapper-style, large loop, aperture sight, lever gun in .38/357 that can take a can. I'm totally serious–as serious as a Dick Cheney cardiac event–and heretofore I thought it was a pipe-dream fantasy.

Next thing you know, Ruger will be announcing that 10-round birdshead shopkeeper 3.5" single-six.

At least I can count on Glock to not release the .22LR G42/42 to keep me from going bankrupt; 2018's carbine bill will have commas in it.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-28-2017, 08:24 PM
When they do one with an 18.6" barrel (and they very likely will) I'll equally very likely buy one. Would fit in a courier bag easily and be legal to take most places in Canada.

Might have some glock mags around somewhere, too.

jlw
12-28-2017, 08:32 PM
I had one of the PC9 carbines years ago. It was the same concept, basically a 10/22 that ran P95 mags. Ultimately, I got rid of it as it just didn't fill the part well. It was heavier than it seemed it should be, and it didn't handle as well as it should have. A shorter stock would have been a big improvement.

This version has some plusses for it being take down, will run Glock mags, and the stock can be adjusted somewhat.

I won't be first in line.

Grouse870
12-28-2017, 08:43 PM
I had a marlin camp carbine in 45 acp. I liked the concept. Mine wasnt reliable enough for home defense. I hope Ruger actually ships these and they work. Then they need to make the following-
2. 1911-.45 acp version

Count me in for a 9mm bolt action American takedown or not. Thinking about this semi auto Pcc I can really see the appeal for me. I can shoot it in my local speed steel competition. Depending on how small it breaks down it might fit in normal size backpack which would be nice for an out of town gun. I hope this takes off I can see a lot of potential. I am curious what 10/22 trigger parts it takes though hopefully a kidd trigger kit will fit

Gadfly
12-28-2017, 09:29 PM
I don’t need it. Would probably not shoot it much. But still seem to want it....

ragnar_d
12-29-2017, 06:16 PM
It’s too small of a niche rifle for it to be profitable...

Likewise, a 10mm would be nice... but will it sell? 10mm has made a resurgence, but with the lack of interest in .40, I don’t see it as big of a hit as .45 (at least would make a decent suppressor host). If Ruger doesn’t do a .40, and jumped to 10mm, sales might give them the idea that expanding past 9mm isn’t worth it. Going .45, then 10mm... there is a little more room for lower demand.

I always see people want .44 semi rifles, but there must be a reason they don’t sell. I own a the older .44 (tube fed), and only got it because of chance. Didn’t go out with the idea I’d pick one up. But prefer it over the detachable magazine ones, as it is a very nice design (no magazines to hunt down).
There lies the rub with a lot of "[Insert gun company here] should make [insert new product here]" . . . it has to be profitable for the company to want to take a swipe at something. Some companies have become so risk averse that they only want to take a swing if they know they'll hit a home run (and still manage to strike on frequently).

It's a lot like V8/RWD/Manual Transmission wagons . . . a lot of enthusiasts and internet comment sections say they want them, but when companies actually build them and charge the prices they need to make a profit on a low-unit, niche product like that then the volumes are so low that the product doesn't make it to the next design refresh. Meanwhile, everyone who's actually buying people carriers are snapping up Honda Odysseys, Tahoes/Suburbans, and Ford Explorers. It's all about the numbers and volume . . . sadly niche products aren't a money maker unless you can roll them in with another high volume unit as a loss leader. Just thoughts from an engineer who tries to understand buying trends and whatnot.

2. 1911-.45 acp version

**insert Archer/Krieger "Stop Stop . . ." meme here** I'm kicking myself for not having the funds for an SIA DeLisle when he was still making them.

farscott
12-29-2017, 08:59 PM
I have no real need for one, I do not like the looks, and I probably will buy one. Finally a Glock carbine....

I am struggling why I would not just use my 5.56 AR with the CompM4 for anything where the Ruger PCC makes sense, but I have an idea I will be looking for that niche. About the only one I can invent so far is as a backpack weapon. Funny thing is today I watched a man buy two of the Henry "US Survival" AR-7 rifles for use as backpack weapons while I was trying to fix a transfer gone awry. The item was shipped to me directly instead of to my FFL, so I had to take it to my FFL, get it into his "bound book", and complete a 4473.

jlw
12-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Some other thoughts:

I found reloading the PC9 to be slow/awkward. The angle and position of the magwell means you have to bring in the magazine at the angle you would need as if loading a pistol, but your not bringing your hands together as in a pistol reload.

The location of the mag release means your pretty well going to have to hit it with the support hand, which also means you won't be able to retrieve the loaded mag until after dropping the empty.

The new design lets the shooter choose the side of the bolt handle, and that is an improvement. If I were running one of these, I'd put the mag release and the bolt handle on my support hand side.

Of course, reloads are mainly going to be an issue in matches and classes.

Bigghoss
12-29-2017, 09:57 PM
This would have been a nice thing to have on my last camping trip where we were in well-traveled touristy areas and I had a pair of Glocks loaded with hornady Critical Duty. For a long gun I brought along a Mossberg 590 that I would disassemble and stuff in a narrow bag.

I would prefer if the rear sight was on the receiver though.

TheNewbie
12-29-2017, 10:07 PM
How do these compare to the Kel Tec SUB 2000?

HCM
12-29-2017, 11:58 PM
This would have been a nice thing to have on my last camping trip where we were in well-traveled touristy areas and I had a pair of Glocks loaded with hornady Critical Duty. For a long gun I brought along a Mossberg 590 that I would disassemble and stuff in a narrow bag.

I would prefer if the rear sight was on the receiver though.

You could always add your own via the 1913 rail but given it is a takedown, keeping the sights on the barrel makes sense.

This thing just cries out for a MRDS though.

mtnbkr
12-30-2017, 12:08 AM

You're not inclined to drink your own urine...or anyone else's for that matter.

Chris

TheNewbie
12-30-2017, 12:34 AM
You're not inclined to drink your own urine...or anyone else's for that matter.

Chris

True.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Well...I haven't personally see one of these break the feed ramp in half after a hundred rounds.

TheNewbie
12-30-2017, 12:42 AM
Well...I haven't personally see one of these break the feed ramp in half after a hundred rounds.

Hey the PF9 I had worked well.......as long as you only fed it FMJs. Of course after 1-2 mags my hands stung so bad that I didn't want to shoot it anymore.

I thought the SUB 2000s were supposed to be decent, I am now guessing that thought is in accurate.

willie
12-30-2017, 01:29 AM
I will buy one for many of the same reasons already stated by others. It will accompany me on my short range wanderings along field and stream. As a plinker king, I will soon find a niche for the Ruger and hope that it's sufficiently accurate to hit ends of beer cans, tennis balls, and such targets at 75 yards. Loaded with Federal +p+ 115 jhp's the carbine should serve well to extinguish coyotes and an occasional feral hog at this range if an appropriate optic is used to assure precise shot placement. If it works reliably, I see no reason that this model could not serve a home defense role.

Drang
12-30-2017, 01:55 AM

You know how they say Ruger has made coin off of taking a Kel-Tec design an improving it...?

gtae07
12-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Ooooh, I want one. With this I might finally stand a chance of decent times at the next multi-gun match I can make it to :p

Seriously, it's going on the wishlist. Unfortunately 2018 is shaping up to be an expensive year for me--I'm already looking to jump into the NFA world, wife's getting a rifle for her birthday, and I'm (hopefully) buying an airplane engine...

Tackleberry40sw
12-30-2017, 07:10 AM
I was very enthusiastic when I saw that Ruger was going to offer this PCC with Glock magazine compatibility. While I do realize that a lot of comparison was being given to the Kel Tek Sub2000, I was considering something else entirely prior to Ruger's announcement. I was considering the Jard Inc. J68 bullpup (http://www.jardinc.com/j68/). I'd like to see a comparison of the Ruger and the J68 done.

Screwball
12-30-2017, 08:13 AM
I was very enthusiastic when I saw that Ruger was going to offer this PCC with Glock magazine compatibility. While I do realize that a lot of comparison was being given to the Kel Tek Sub2000, I was considering something else entirely prior to Ruger's announcement. I was considering the Jard Inc. J68 bullpup (http://www.jardinc.com/j68/). I'd like to see a comparison of the Ruger and the J68 done.

No background in that, but being a bullpup, you likely are going to have a crappy trigger at twice the price. It is also more than a half pound heavier. Plus, is it going to be another Desert Tech MDR?

Having two bullpups (KSG and Tavor), triggers are rarely nice. Both were ok enough to shoot, but to get something nice on the Tavor, I had to spend almost $400 on aftermarket parts. Don’t get me wrong, it is on par with some high end AR triggers... but at a higher cost. And that is for a design that was very popular.

Having 10/22 commonality, I think the Ruger option will take off. Now, all they got to do is work with Magpul to get some stock offerings... which Ruger does do good work with other companies for accessories prior to release (with them coming out the same time or shortly thereafter).

OlongJohnson
12-30-2017, 02:32 PM
If it doesn’t take G26 mags, it is fail. Haven’t read all the links to confirm whether it does. Anyone else find that tidbit yet?

I’m hoping this will put some nice older 1894 .357s back in circulation.

Screwball
12-30-2017, 04:22 PM
If it doesn’t take G26 mags, it is fail. Haven’t read all the links to confirm whether it does. Anyone else find that tidbit yet?

One of the YouTube reviews mentioned it will fit magazines from 26 up through the 33 round 18 magazine. Unsure how accurate it is, but I’d say it looks like one would.

If it does, I really cannot wait for a .45... since the 30 magazines should work. [emoji106]

Gadfly
12-30-2017, 04:39 PM
He is not someone I usually watch... but he has a video of the new gun up...
https://youtu.be/tbmb4AIl2sM

And this one...

https://youtu.be/daxJgYNxJrg

So yeah, I think I will have to get one... just for shits and giggles.

rd62
12-30-2017, 08:26 PM
I want one!

Doug
12-31-2017, 02:22 AM
I own a PC9. Took a carbine course eons ago with it. Rugged, no recoil due to weight, bolt release on left side, heavy trigger.. Mine had the pistol sights. The trigger in the last one was integrated in the stock and not recommended to f'with.

The new one looks to have some type of ghost ring on the barrel. That is stupid. Give it a real rear ghost ring on the receiver or a notch and post option on the barrel.

I see they put some rail pic on the forend. Maybe there can be some aftermarket friends.

My questions (PCC)

What is the trigger pull weight?
How will the reset be?
Will there be aftermarket triggers?
How fast can it do splits?
Curious, will a low mounted micro red dot co-witness with irons?

I think they have a sales winner, if it RUNS.

Screwball
12-31-2017, 06:23 AM
Will there be aftermarket triggers?

It uses a 10/22 trigger group... so yea.

Chuck Whitlock
12-31-2017, 11:32 AM
2. 1911-.45 acp version

https://ruger.com/micros/silent-sr-ISB/index.html

Since they already offer one for the 10/22 TD, I'm betting that one will be forthcoming.

Tokarev
12-31-2017, 11:35 AM

Since they already offer one for the 10/22 TD, I'm betting that one will be forthcoming.A suppressed option should be in the works. Despite my vocal dislike for the pistol carbine concept a suppressed option might be useful.

I have often wondered if Ruger plans on getting more into the suppressor market. I think an integrally suppressed barrel for the SR-556TD would be a nifty product.

Doug
12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
It uses a 10/22 trigger group... so yea.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that yet.

Tokarev
01-02-2018, 08:24 AM
https://youtu.be/UvDboYtanac

Nephrology
01-02-2018, 08:26 AM
If they make one that takes 9mm Glock mags (and they don't suck), I am absolutely buying one.

HCM
01-02-2018, 11:02 AM
If they make one that takes 9mm Glock mags (and they don't suck), I am absolutely buying one.

Uhh... they are - the new PCC has a modular mag well and comes with magwell a for both Ruger pistol mags and Glock Mags.

Nephrology
01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Uhh... they are - the new PCC has a modular mag well and comes with magwell a for both Ruger pistol mags and Glock Mags.

Shut up and take my money, Ruger

Lester Polfus
01-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Real Guns has posted a review. (https://www.realguns.com/articles/984.htm/)

I'll let this one simmer a year or two, then think about spending money.

Totem Polar
01-02-2018, 11:42 AM
I'll let this one simmer a year or two, then think about spending money.

One thing about Ruger (as opposed the other company making guns that take Glock mags): if you get a gun that doesn’t run from Ruger, they’ll send you a return shipping label and make it right.

Bigghoss
01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
One thing about Ruger (as opposed the other company making guns that take Glock mags): if you get a gun that doesn’t run from Ruger, they’ll send you a return shipping label and make it right.

This. It seems to me like there might be a higher chance of getting a lemon in the first place but Ruger sets the bar very high for customer service and satisfaction and they will take care of you.

Lester Polfus
01-02-2018, 12:00 PM

That's why I won't wait three or four years. :cool:

Nephrology
01-02-2018, 12:34 PM

I'd buy the Ruger 7 dayas a week. I've never heard of Jard Inc... but I have heard of Ruger.

Tokarev
01-02-2018, 01:30 PM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/1/2/tested-ruger-s-pc-carbine-and-security-9-pistol/

American Rifleman review on the S9 and PCC.

Totem Polar
01-02-2018, 02:38 PM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/1/2/tested-ruger-s-pc-carbine-and-security-9-pistol/

American Rifleman review on the S9 and PCC.

"It’s worth noting here that Ruger advises that some Magpul Glock-pattern magazines may not function reliably with the PC Carbine."

Now I know how all those dopers felt when Jerry Garcia died. :(

Also, what’s up with AR and their ammo testing choices? 100 and 65 grain? Nobody in the office had any 124 grain 9mm—ball or GDHP or HST—on hand?!?

Shooting Public: “Cool! A test of the new Ruger 9mm carbine from the NRA publication! Hey, what sort of ammo did you function test and chrony?”

American Rifleman beard oil/flannel hipster: “it’s a pretty cool round, you’ve probably never heard of it...”

:rolleyes:

Indy5000
01-02-2018, 07:17 PM
If this proves out to be a reliable PCC, I'm wondering if it will be a better choice for our RV travels than toting one of the ARs and 5.56 ammo. Especially when traveling to states that might be less AR friendly. Bonus for only having to carry 9mm, double bonus if I move from the M&P to Glock.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Totem Polar
01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
If this proves out to be a reliable PCC, I'm wondering if it will be a better choice for our RV travels than toting one of the ARs and 5.56 ammo. Especially when traveling to states that might be less AR friendly. Bonus for only having to carry 9mm, double bonus if I move from the M&P to Glock.

Thoughts?

It's no AR, but it's also no AR. Any state where you can't get 'er done with a G26, a whole bunch of spare mags, and this thing (in the unthreaded barrel version, and assuming it runs) is probably worth driving around.

I could tour the US visiting cool ranges in a mini cooper with this takedown PCC thing, my G26/mags, a Copper Basin 10/22 backpack, a 5th of Rye, a tent, and a few cases of ammo.

Drang
01-02-2018, 10:58 PM
I could tour the US visiting cool ranges in a mini cooper with this takedown PCC thing, my G26/mags, a Copper Basin 10/22 backpack, a 5th of Rye, a tent, and a few cases of ammo.

Coming soon: Sidheshooter's RV And Shooting Tour!

Ob Takedown Rifle Content: I don't think I'd seen this before: Copper Basin - Ruger 10/22 Low Profile Takedown Backpack (http://www.copperbasingear.com/ruger-1022-takedown-pack.php)
(ETA: Available for other long guns.)

Tokarev
01-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Coming soon: Sidheshooter's RV And Shooting Tour!

Ob Takedown Rifle Content: I don't think I'd seen this before: Copper Basin - Ruger 10/22 Low Profile Takedown Backpack (http://www.copperbasingear.com/ruger-1022-takedown-pack.php)I wonder if the SR-556TD will fit in that bag.

Drang
01-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Out of stock there, but they're on Amazon...

Totem Polar
01-02-2018, 11:25 PM
I know, right?

:cool:

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2018, 11:45 AM
It's no AR, but it's also no AR. Any state where you can't get 'er done with a G26, a whole bunch of spare mags, and this thing (in the unthreaded barrel version, and assuming it runs) is probably worth driving around.

Sometimes you can't drive around them. Been there and my 10/22 was my gun of choice, then. Better than a stick and arguing about a straight through run with the Federal laws.

Totem Polar
01-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Sometimes you can't drive around them. Been there and my 10/22 was my gun of choice, then. Better than a stick and arguing about a straight through run with the Federal laws.

If you can take a 10/22, you can take a PCC, yes?

Trukinjp13
01-04-2018, 10:08 AM
I likey. Magpul that biatch and call it good. My blem primary dot will work quite well on there

ASH556
01-04-2018, 11:59 AM
I have a 9mm can sitting unused waiting for one of these. Would be so even much cooler if someone like Tacsol would release one of their shrouded barrels for this thing like they do for the 10/22 to keep OAL down when adding a suppressor.

ETA: I couldn't help it. Just called Tacsol and asked them to do it, lol.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-04-2018, 12:03 PM
If you can take a 10/22, you can take a PCC, yes?

If the PCC is an EBR - it's not a cross all states gun, I think.

BillSWPA
01-04-2018, 02:54 PM
The problem with a cross all states gun is that if you are doing anything more than passing through certain states, you n Ed some type of permit from that state just to possess or transport any gun. So, coming up with a gun that complies is easy, but making sure you are in compliance when you have that gun is not so easy.

Gadfly
01-04-2018, 11:03 PM
I am guessing that other modular mag wells can be made by anyone? (Cough cough Magpul cough) And that Beretta 92, Sig, and M&P are soon to follow? That would be amazing...

Bigghoss
01-05-2018, 01:48 AM
I'm also really hoping to see other magwells become available at some point, especially 92 series mags.

JRB
01-05-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm really excited for this rifle, specifically for my Sister and my Mother.

Both struggle with the AR15's manual of arms (operating the charging handle) and are sensitive to muzzle blast. They can both run an AK acceptably well (simpler total controls) but the additional recoil, crappy sights, and the rock-and-lock magazine insertion was difficult for them, and the muzzle blast issue was still present.

They can both run the wheels off of a 10/22 and that's the current solution - but .22LR obviously leaves a lot to be desired. I found an old Ruger Deerslayer .44 Mag to cross that gap, and they both can run it well, but reliability has been an ongoing issue with it. Despite my best efforts I cannot find a load that it'll feed 100%, even FMJ's. Plus being tube fed vs detachable magazine makes them nervous when clearing it.

I almost sourced a PC9 for each at considerable expense, but I had them try a friend's old PC4 and the stock length was a real problem for them. I was shocked to see how much longer the PC4's synthetic stock was vs the Deerslayer's 10/22 esque sizing.

This PC9, if they run well, is absolutely the perfect solution for them for an HD long gun, and I'm sure my tween-aged nephew and niece will really enjoy shooting it too. If this thing runs well on cheap steel case 9mm, it'll be plinking heaven for them - ideal for planting the seed to make them both shooting enthusiasts someday!

peterb
01-05-2018, 12:57 PM
I am guessing that other modular mag wells can be made by anyone? (Cough cough Magpul cough) And that Beretta 92, Sig, and M&P are soon to follow? That would be amazing...

That's an interesting idea. If Ruger would release the data to make the magwell adapter "open source", and the market responded, they'd sell even more of these.

Grouse870
01-05-2018, 05:54 PM
I can’t imagine them not offering different magwells with the design they have. I think it’s a matter of when and what they offer

BillSWPA
01-05-2018, 11:04 PM
I'm really excited for this rifle, specifically for my Sister and my Mother.

Both struggle with the AR15's manual of arms (operating the charging handle) and are sensitive to muzzle blast. They can both run an AK acceptably well (simpler total controls) but the additional recoil, crappy sights, and the rock-and-lock magazine insertion was difficult for them, and the muzzle blast issue was still present.

They can both run the wheels off of a 10/22 and that's the current solution - but .22LR obviously leaves a lot to be desired. I found an old Ruger Deerslayer .44 Mag to cross that gap, and they both can run it well, but reliability has been an ongoing issue with it. Despite my best efforts I cannot find a load that it'll feed 100%, even FMJ's. Plus being tube fed vs detachable magazine makes them nervous when clearing it.

I almost sourced a PC9 for each at considerable expense, but I had them try a friend's old PC4 and the stock length was a real problem for them. I was shocked to see how much longer the PC4's synthetic stock was vs the Deerslayer's 10/22 esque sizing.

This PC9, if they run well, is absolutely the perfect solution for them for an HD long gun, and I'm sure my tween-aged nephew and niece will really enjoy shooting it too. If this thing runs well on cheap steel case 9mm, it'll be plinking heaven for them - ideal for planting the seed to make them both shooting enthusiasts someday!

I am thinking along somewhat similar lines regarding this gun’s potential for home defense.

elsquid
01-05-2018, 11:55 PM
That's an interesting idea. If Ruger would release the data to make the magwell adapter "open source", and the market responded, they'd sell even more of these.

An adapter is only needed if you want to retain the factory stock. A third party - say Ramline - could offer a replacement stock, and at that point the sky is basically the limit when it comes to 9mm pistol mags. If the carbine can feed from two position SMG-style magazines...

— Michael

gtae07
01-06-2018, 06:03 AM

A 3D scanner and printer could probably make something quite usable.

Chuck Whitlock
01-07-2018, 10:59 AM

That was one of my initial thoughts upon seeing the release. Almost unlimited potential.

I can’t imagine them not offering different magwells with the design they have. I think it’s a matter of when and what they offer

There would be sunk costs for molds, inventory, etc. for Ruger to make them. Open source or licensing would seem to be a better way to go.....they will sell buttloads more rifles, methinks.

Nephrology
01-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Yeah I am definitely buying one of these.

Tokarev
01-11-2018, 09:08 AM
A friend was nice enough to loan me one of these. I have the carbine now and have played with it a little but have not shot it yet.

The gun is very much a "swelled up" 10/22 in general design and style. The trigger pack appears to be straight off a 10/22 and the safety, bolt catch, etc. is going to be immediately familiar to anyone who owns the 22LR. The barrel pops off the front just like it does on the 10/22 TD although the PCC doesn't come with the little zippered carry bag.

The magazine well insert is pretty easy to change. Take the two allen screws out of the bottom of the stock and remove the action from the stock. Lift the insert up and out of the mag well and drop the new one in. Re-install the action. I have the Glock mag well in the gun now and will probably leave it in when I get to the range since I have more Glock mags than Ruger.

Other stuff? The bolt handle is reversible and can be switched from the right or left side of the gun. Same with the mag release. Both require an allen wrench to switch. So the gun will have some appeal to those who shoot off the "wrong" shoulder but they'll probably still have issues with the safety just as they would with a 10/22, Remington 870, etc.

Overall the little carbine feels fairly solid and looks to be of good quality. It is probably heavier than it should be although nearly all the weight is in the bolt and receiver so the balance doesn't feel off. One complaint is that the comb of the stock seems a bit high for me and I have to cram my face against the stock to get good sight alignment. Speaking of sights; they are mounted to the barrel in a Scout-ish fashion. My guess is that Ruger did this with the idea that each barrel can be individually zero'ed if and when caliber kits become available.

I still have strong doubts about the overall practicality and usefulness of such a carbine when there are some really good values to be had in the AR world and I don't think the gun would be anywhere on my list as a fighting firearm. But, as I've said here before, I have no doubt the gun is a fun and enjoyable plinker.

Depending on what happens this weekend I'll try to get out and shoot this and the new Security 9. Once I've had a chance to shoot I'll post some additional thoughts, if anyone cares. In the meantime, if there are picture requests or anything, please let me know.

warpedcamshaft
01-11-2018, 10:16 AM
I still have strong doubts about the overall practicality and usefulness of such a carbine when there are some really good values to be had in the AR world and I don't think the gun would be anywhere on my list as a fighting firearm. But, as I've said here before, I have no doubt the gun is a fun and enjoyable plinker.

I agree fully... but keep in mind:

People in urban areas that are unwilling or unable to find a range that can handle rifle calibers or shotguns. (Claude Werner talks about this in the Atlanta area. There are only so many gun club slots in the suburbs, everyone else has to go to indoor ranges.)

Some of the fastest growing demographics in gun ownership fit this category.

BN
01-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Brownells is taking pre-orders:

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/pc-carbine-rifles-9mm-16-12-1-10-1-2-28-black-prod114124.aspx (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=ale&ti=7779&pri=0&pw=209415&mi=10077&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Ffirearms%2Fr ifles%2Fsemi-auto%2Fpc-carbine-rifles-9mm-16-12-1-10-1-2-28-black-prod114124.aspx)

$505 shipped with code L9Q

Excellent. Pre-ordered. Thanks, Tom.

Tokarev
01-11-2018, 05:14 PM
I do note a strong double meaning in Ruger's choice of name. Is it "pistol caliber" carbine or "politically correct" carbine?

Ruger has an interesting and simple mag adapter that probably could have very easily been adapted to work in an AR lower and could have sold a complete rifle as well as a conversion kit consisting of a 9mm upper and a mag adapter. The takedown AR format is something Ruger already has so it should have been an easy task to do the same thing in a pistol caliber.

Surely this was all discussed at sales meetings and was dismissed. Ruger decided to make something unique and different. Will it ultimately pay off?

Personally I'd have preferred something based off the AR if for nothing other than familiar design layout. All the stuff that makes the MP15 22 such a fun little gun. But I believe I've said all this before.

Maybe my attitude and opinion will change once I've been to the range and shot the gun a little bit. That's happened before.

Tokarev
01-14-2018, 07:04 PM
I put about 100 rounds through the PCC today. Ammo used was 124 and 160 grain reloads and a few rounds of Speer 124 Gold Dot.

I had one stovepipe during the 2nd mag but no malfunctions afterward. I used factory Glock 19 mags exclusively. Next time I'm out I might use the Ruger mag well instead. Just to see what difference that makes.

I don't really know what to say about the gun. It is okay but nothing extra. Recoil is weird because the balance of the gun is slightly behind the mag well. The bolt is pretty heavy and, with the slightly rearward balance point, the gun seems to have more recoil than I think it should. Not recoil like shooting a lightweight 30-06 deer rifle but recoil in the sense that it is hard to keep sights on target.

Another complaint that doesn't help is that the comb of the stock is too high for me. Or the sights are too low. In any case, I have to cram my cheekbone down against the comb of the stock to look through the sights. This is rather uncomfortable. Not painful just unpleasant.

I fired the gun from a cross legged seated position for group at fifty yards and had no problem keeping my reloads inside the -0 circle on an old IDPA target. I'm sure the gun will shoot better with an optic.

It really is nothing more than a big 10/22. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that it'll run on Glock mags I don't think anyone would be even talking about it.

Here is a pic of the rifle and one of me on the range...[emoji16]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180115/7ffb3c407b51d5823c1a632a0c8c9842.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180115/b217a79e0fadf2a6d59aea887097d06d.jpg

Savage Hands
01-14-2018, 08:29 PM
This is the perfect “California Carbine” with all the AR15 hassles... This gun will sell by the truckloads here.

Tokarev
01-14-2018, 08:30 PM
This is the perfect “California Carbine” with all the AR15 hassles... This gun will sell by the truckloads here.Yep.

Savage Hands
01-14-2018, 08:32 PM
“It really is nothing more than a big 10/22. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that it'll run on Glock mags I don't think anyone would be even talking about it.“

No problem, send every single one to the ban states...

Tokarev
01-14-2018, 08:34 PM
No problem, send every single one to the ban states...

I have no doubt Ruger built this with ban states in mind. As I said before "PC" is for politically correct.

vandal
01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Especially when the Magpul stock for it comes out!

This is the perfect “California Carbine” with all the AR15 hassles... This gun will sell by the truckloads here.

Tokarev
01-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Especially when the Magpul stock for it comes out!There will hopefully be a strong aftermarket for these. Folding stocks, suppressed barrels, discreet carry bags would all be nice.

vandal
01-14-2018, 10:08 PM
Of the four video reviews I've watched so far, every one had at least one FTF or FTE. But then it seems like to be a video reviewer you must promise to use sketchy magazines or weird ammo so as to have an excuse to not blame the gun.

Lester Polfus
01-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Of the four video reviews I've watched so far, every one had at least one FTF or FTE. But then it seems like to be a video reviewer you must promise to use sketchy magazines or weird ammo so as to have an excuse to not blame the gun.

One of my concerns with this is that a gun that is designed to run on a bunch of different magazines may run poorly with all of them. We'll see.

Tokarev
01-14-2018, 10:55 PM
Of the four video reviews I've watched so far, every one had at least one FTF or FTE. But then it seems like to be a video reviewer you must promise to use sketchy magazines or weird ammo so as to have an excuse to not blame the gun.I used genuine factory Glock mags and my reloads didn't cause any issues in the other firearms I shot today.

Are the other reviewers using Magpul mags? Korean mags?

vandal
01-14-2018, 11:16 PM
ETS mags and Korean mags, steel case ammo, some kind of Federal synthetic ammo...

I used genuine factory Glock mags and my reloads didn't cause any issues in the other firearms I shot today.

Are the other reviewers using Magpul mags? Korean mags?

olstyn
01-14-2018, 11:32 PM
some kind of Federal synthetic ammo...

Federal Syntech? If so, I ended up with 200 rounds of it from the prize table at a match last summer. Sample of one gun (9mm Walther P99), but for what it's worth, it ran fine; accuracy seemed ok, all 200 went bang, the couple I plunk tested dropped in and spun freely in my pistol's chamber, and they had enough oomph to knock down steel even though they were 115 grain, but no excessive recoil. I reload, so I'm unlikely to buy any, but if somebody handed me another couple hundred rounds, I'd happily and confidently shoot them at matches; IMO, based on my small experience with it, Syntech is good range ammo.

Poconnor
01-17-2018, 05:13 PM
I’m looking forward to getting one of these overgrown 10/22s. Hopefully magpul will make a stock for it. But for the money I really wish ruger had just built an AR15 that takes glock mags and has a last round bolt hold open. Even if it was a polymer receiver that took AR tubes, stocks and grips. Then make a pistol version with a 10 inch barrel.

HCM
01-17-2018, 07:46 PM
I’m looking forward to getting one of these overgrown 10/22s. Hopefully magpul will make a stock for it. But for the money I really wish ruger had just built an AR15 that takes glock mags and has a last round bolt hold open. Even if it was a polymer receiver that took AR tubes, stocks and grips. Then make a pistol version with a 10 inch barrel.

The market is flooded with 9mm AR’s. I’m a huge AR fan but the whole point of this thing is it isn’t an AR.

Tokarev
01-17-2018, 07:49 PM
I'll shoot mine again tomorrow. Try to take it out to 100 yards on steel.

GJM
01-17-2018, 07:50 PM
I'll shoot mine again tomorrow. Try to take it out to 100 yards on steel.

Red dot?

Tokarev
01-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Red dot?Nope. Still running irons.

Tokarev
01-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Another update:

We put close to 200 rounds through the gun this morning. Shot it on paper at 50 and on steel at 250m.

As you all can imagine, trying to hit a steel ram at 250 meters is more or less a waste of ammo. But my range partner was able to get 2 hits out of fifteen rounds. I got a whopping 0/15. Anyway, once we had the elevation more or less worked out we would have been able to convince a knife wielding maniac that 250 meters is as close to us as he'd care to get.

At 50 things are much more realistic. From a seated position propped on elbows the gun will shoot 3-4" easily. Likely quite a bit better with a solid sandbagged rest and optic.

We ran a number of Bill drills on paper at 7 and on a 10" steel plate at 15. At seven yards we both had several runs with all six rounds in the A Zone in the 1.5 second range. At fifteen yards it was more difficult to get all six hits given the low sights and gun's unique recoil impulse. Still, runs of 2.5 seconds were do-able without too much work.

My range partner made the same comment about the cheek weld and the gun's low sights. The gun really wants to be outfitted with a red dot. If I planned on buying one I'd definitely look hard at putting a little dot sight on top.

Good news? The gun ran fine. No malfunctions other than that one stovepipe I had a couple days ago. It really is a fun plinker and the trigger is pretty darned good.

Bad news? The 10/22 manual of arms is pretty different and will take some getting used to. Coming from an AR where the safety is engaged for movement, reloads, etc this gun is pretty awkward. The push button safety just isn't conducive to constant manipulation. Not to say that someone won't get good and comfortable running the little gun but it will likely take a bit of work for those of us who are comfortable with the AR.

Other bad news. The forend mount under the barrel is loose. The bolt that holds the forend to the forend mount is still tight but the block under the forend is working loose. I didn't have the correct Allen wrench with me but will tighten that up when I get home. A dab of blue Loktite might be in order.

Tokarev
01-18-2018, 09:35 PM
I took the little rifle apart this evening to give it a good cleaning. I tightened up the forend block too.

The gun is pretty darned simple as is expected from a blowback design. The recoil buffer or whatever some other reviews mention is nothing more than a big chunk of metal sitting inside the bolt. I imagine custom weights will be available as the gun catches on and I'd be curious to see how the gun handles with a lighter bolt weight and a heavier recoil spring.

Most interesting to me is the bolt face. It is held in by two pins and comes out with minimal effort. Being that the barrel and bolt face are easily removed I have little doubt that Ruger plans on selling caliber conversions at some point. Down side to this will be adding an even heavier bolt weight for something like 45 ACP or 10mm.

Sorry. No pics. My phone was on the charger. But I'll get some tomorrow or Saturday if anyone wants a look at the bolt and related parts.

BN
01-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Excellent. Pre-ordered. Thanks, Tom.

Mine is on the FedEx truck heading this way. Should be here on Monday. :)

OlongJohnson
01-20-2018, 12:13 PM
A decent argument against making the magwell interface open source is the risk of competitors issuing products that are poorly made, don't position the alternative magazines just right, or for magazines that simply don't work well in the application, and the reputation of the whole PCC system becoming tarnished as a result.

Totem Polar
01-20-2018, 01:14 PM
I guess I agree with Tom, since A) the majority of buyers will either shoot these with Glock mags or B) not shoot them very much. The only way to tarnish the PCC’s rep would be to, say, have a safety issue come up and have Ruger sweep the issue under the rug—a historically unlikely occurence, given Ruger’s track record of addressing errors responsibly—or for someone to use one to either shoot Harambe, or 50 people in a church, nightclub or concert. Other than that, they’ve got a winner, fait accompli. My LGS guy told me that he’s been swamped with inquiries on this one; way more than normal levels of "new relsease" interest. Sample of one shop, I know, but my gut tells me that LGS everywhere may be in the same boat. Carry on.

RevolverRob
01-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Just clicked on the Brownells link above...found the "also bought" section compelling...

Totem Polar
01-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Just clicked on the Brownells link above...found the "also bought" section compelling...

So... which one of us here at P-F is it? :D

Bigghoss
01-20-2018, 10:42 PM
Wasn't me. Yet.

BN
01-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Sweet. :)

17 rounds of AE9FP with the Ruger mag then I switched to the glock mags. 30 rounds with my IDPA hand loads. Good trigger. shoots POA/POI with 147 grains so far. Ghost sights are good. I might put a red dot on it later, but I like these sights. More later.

APS-PF
01-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Has anyone who is right handed and has shot this carbine experienced more than expected blow back into their face? Or a shift of POI when holding the foreend as compared to holding the front of the magazine well. I saw one youtube review where those items were mentioned.

Tokarev
01-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Has anyone who is right handed and has shot this carbine experienced more than expected blow back into their face? Or a shift of POI when holding the foreend as compared to holding the front of the magazine well. I saw one youtube review where those items were mentioned.No real blowback to the face that I've noticed and I've been using cast lead bullets.

The POI shift isn't too had to believe since the gun isn't free floated, etc. And the stock is two separate pieces.

BN
01-22-2018, 08:06 PM
I haven't had a chance to shoot it any more. :(

Trigger measures a consistent 4 1/4 #. I won't touch it. I don't think 10-22 trigger groups will interchange, but I'm not sure. With a trigger like this, who cares. ;)

I will probably switch the charging handle to the left side. It is pretty easy to slide my left hand back and push the mag release button with my thumb. I experimented a little with sliding my hand back and pushing the button with the meaty part of the palm where the thumb begins. It works well when everything connects. :) A slightly oversize button would make this work. Reloads seem to be smooth. This is with Glock mags. I will probably keep a strong hand grip and do all reloading stuff with my weak hand.

I've only fired 47 rounds, but didn't notice any blow back. Brass landed about 10 feet away to the right.

I have an Aimpoint mini R-1 I was going to put on it, but it will only fit Weaver bases. I found an old Tasco ProPoint and stuck it on there. I will sight it in later. I could just see the ghost sights and they could be used in a pinch, but I think it would hit high.

I will probably switch off with a higher power scope to test for grouping and POA/POI changes.

I like this carbine. I have been wanting something like this for years. My MecTec just doesn't cut it. :(

Tokarev
01-22-2018, 08:29 PM
One thing regarding the magazine release, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of a fence around it to protect it. The spring tension is pretty light and it doesn't take much to pop the mag out with an accidental bump.

Screwball
01-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Trigger measures a consistent 4 1/4 #. I won't touch it. I don't think 10-22 trigger groups will interchange, but I'm not sure. With a trigger like this, who cares. ;)

The actual trigger, with the guard... nope. But the components; trigger, hammer, and springs... that is what I’m hearing.

I traded my 10/22 for a TAC-14, but when I had it, I did the Kidd Trigger Job kit. Trigger was amazing. Things like that will go in the PC carbine.

APS-PF
01-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the experiences regarding blow back. I really liked the original ghost rings sights that came on version 1 of the PC9, but the comments about the too low mounted sights on this new one has me concerned and I need to handle one first to see. And I'm kind of sick of putting dots and scopes on everything and wanted to use this iron sights only.

BN
01-23-2018, 01:56 PM
I shot another 30 rounds today. Sighted in the Tasco red dot at 25 yards on steel. I had rounds already loaded in a couple Magpul mags. No problems. I shot what was left in a mag at an IDPA target at about 35 yards resting my left arm on a table.
It was 40 degrees and the wind was 15 MPH. Cold. :( I am still waiting on my new glasses after eye surgery, so accuracy is just so so.

I didn't have a problem with the factory sights. Probably an individual thing.

Nice to know that the 10-22 parts can be used, but for my purposes, the trigger is perfect. :)

Glenn E. Meyer
01-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Anyone know if this gun is NYS legal? It has a detachable mag and threaded barrel. Looking at the SAFE pages, this seems a banned gun.
Reason for asking is that we sometimes visit the old Buffalo area and was wondering if it would be ok to take there. As said before, my visit NY gun has been a 10/22.

Lester Polfus
01-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Anyone know if this gun is NYS legal? It has a detachable mag and threaded barrel. Looking at the SAFE pages, this seems a banned gun.
Reason for asking is that we sometimes visit the old Buffalo area and was wondering if it would be ok to take there. As said before, my visit NY gun has been a 10/22.

I believe there is a version without the threaded barrel.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-24-2018, 02:44 PM
It also had an adjustable stock, I saw. If I read NYS correctly, that's two bad things. The mag and stock would ban it ? NYS gun laws are clearly unconstitutional as a side issue but Congress and the courts are currently useless (we don't have to go there in this thread, just ranting). I was just trying to figure out if the gun works for NYS.

JRB
01-24-2018, 03:54 PM
It also had an adjustable stock, I saw. If I read NYS correctly, that's two bad things. The mag and stock would ban it ? NYS gun laws are clearly unconstitutional as a side issue but Congress and the courts are currently useless (we don't have to go there in this thread, just ranting). I was just trying to figure out if the gun works for NYS.

Having recently had to interpret NY State's insanity for a friend PCSing there (Army) - having different spacers that can be inserted/removed to change length of pull isn't 'adjustable' by NYS standards, but something like an M4/AR15 carbine stock is. Same for folding stocks, of course.

While the threaded muzzle makes NYS's evil list, there's no established guidance on whether or not the muzzle nut can simply be spot-welded in place or welded+pinned and meet the legal standard. I believe welding and pinning would hold up in court when citing how that meets BATF importation rules, but IANAL.

psalms144.1
01-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Agreed that the spacers in the stock don't make it "adjustable" under NYS law. However, unless you definitely intend to suppress this rifle, the non-threaded barrel version seems to make more sense as a "go anywhere" autoloader...

BN
01-25-2018, 02:50 PM
About 100 rounds today. After much fiddling around with different scopes, I finally got a cheap 3x9 scope mounted. The rear sight interferes with the 6-18X Vortex I "borrowed" from another rifle. :(

Magpul mags still running OK. An old Gen 2 non drop free mag didn't work. I had to force it into the mag well and then it didn't feed the first round.

At 50 yards I was using a Caldwell front rest with a rear bag. I shot 5 shots with the front rest just in front of the mag well and 5 shots with the rest at the front sling stud. It looks like the group resting on the sling stud was about 2 inches higher.

I tried it first at 25 yards and it is hard to tell the difference.

After tweaking the scope a little, I fired 11 rounds for group at 50 yards resting in front of the mag well.

All ammo today was my IDPA 147 grain hand loads.

I'm probably end up with an Aimpoint mini red dot

littlejerry
01-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Anybody know if 10/22 Tech Sights will work on this?

APS-PF
01-25-2018, 04:29 PM
Thanks for that post regarding impact shift Bill.

BN
01-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that post regarding impact shift Bill.

I actually don't think it is much of a problem. I was using a 9 power scope to be able to see it. Most of these guns will be shot with a red dot or iron sights where I don't think it will show up. Also, I'm not sure I wouldn't have seen the impact change with any carbine trying the same shooting style.

OlongJohnson
02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
In stock, and these guys ship for free.

tanner
04-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Picked one up last week.

Fun little rifle. Perfect for beginners or small statured folks.

Put my Primary Arms blem red dot on it, and my 15 year old son put a full magazine through the 10 ring at 25 yards. The smile on his face alone was worth the price of the rifle.

Didn't clean it before I took it to the range. 150 "flawless" rounds using both OEM and Magpul glock mags.

MSparks909
04-11-2018, 07:14 PM
One of these and a new 10/22 Takedown are on my short list...the PCC first of course!

tanner
04-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Now I'm looking at one of these (http://www.copperbasingear.com/takedown-firearm-backpack.php) backpacks.

A pack like that with a G26 or chopped G19 and a handful of 10 round mags would make for a pretty good traveling setup.

jeep45238
04-12-2018, 08:46 AM
One of these and a new 10/22 Takedown are on my short list...the PCC first of course!

I'm seriously considering selling a bull barrel hot rodded 10/22 in order to go down this route myself.

tanner
04-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Those are really neat!

FWIW, they are also available on Amazon (https://amzn.to/2v6oRLx) (with free Prime Shipping) for the same price and PF earns a small commission if you buy it from there (after clicking this link (https://amzn.to/2v6oRLx) or the Shop at Amazon Button in the navbar). [emoji4]

Excellent timing. I tried to snag one off their website, but the paypal plug-in thingy (technical term) wasn't working.

Suvorov
04-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Great to see these things making it into the wild (although I have yet to handle one) and that they are being so well received! I'm planning on picking one up for my primary house gun as my wife is far better with a rifle than a pistol. I really hope that someone starts making magazine adapter kits for them - given it's 10/22 origins I imagine the possibilities are endless.

Jeep
04-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Tom: Do you also earn a commission if we go through the Shop at Amazon Button when we buy books or something at Amazon? (I've never done that, but if it means money to PF, why not?)

Duelist
04-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Now I'm looking at one of these (http://www.copperbasingear.com/takedown-firearm-backpack.php) backpacks.

A pack like that with a G26 or chopped G19 and a handful of 10 round mags would make for a pretty good traveling setup.

Hmm.

Larry Sellers
04-15-2018, 02:48 PM
This rifle seems like a great way to introduce someone to the shooting sport and being in CT with our insane rifle laws it'll be a fun gun for my wife to shoot and not have to wrestle with. Couple the fact that it seems reasonably priced, and the simple operation and I think it's a winner.

Planning on snagging one soon.

Totem Polar
04-15-2018, 03:01 PM

This. Had the same thought.

Trukinjp13
04-15-2018, 04:59 PM
My wife loves shooting the 10/22 I think one of these would be a fun gun for her to shoot. Throw on a cheap red dot and call it good. Hopefully magpul drops a stock as well. I was interested in the roni stabilizer stock for the Glock. But this is more useful I believe.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-15-2018, 05:33 PM
I saw one of the Roni's be very quirky. There was debate that it was just fine but the ammo was crappy. Who knows - just one dude shooting?

I did see the Ruger and I want one!

GJM
04-15-2018, 06:20 PM
So far my RONI has been 100 percent. The RONI and Ruger PCC are completely different products, as the RONI is 25 ounces plus your Glock, and classified as a pistol, vs a rifle with the Ruger accompanied with carbine dimensions and weight.

Trukinjp13
04-15-2018, 06:59 PM
So far my RONI has been 100 percent. The RONI and Ruger PCC are completely different products, as the RONI is 25 ounces plus your Glock, and classified as a pistol, vs a rifle with the Ruger accompanied with carbine dimensions and weight.

Which I understand, but they would be serving the same purpose. Fun gun/range gun. And for her she knows how to use and really likes the 10/22. And considering the fact that I can only buy one of the two. I am leaning towards the ruger.

I really like the concept of the roni. And hopefully can pick one up in the future.

tanner
04-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Picked up the Copper Basin backpack. (Ordered through the Amazon/PF portal :cool:)

As advertised. Very functional and appears to be well put together. Certainly low-key, I can't imagine anyone thinking "gun" when looking at it. I'm pleased with it.

I never thought I would ever want an AR pistol as opposed to my 16" carbine, but they fit in this pack too.

jeep45238
04-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Stumbled across these guys - looks like there’s some positive parts to check out. One thing I noted is that they have an oversized mag release that will release with a hit of the palm, and also one that will release with the trigger finger. The magwell looks interesting too.

Palm mag change

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiYdxM8wICs

Trigger finger mag release/magwell/oversized charging handle

https://taccom3g.com/product-tag/ruger-pc-carbine/

Website seems to have some issues right now, but an image search pulls up some cool goodies. In the meantime, this cached result should give a good idea of what’s out there:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://taccom3g.com/product-category/9mm-pcc-components-and-accessories/ruger-pccarbine/

BN
06-04-2018, 08:59 PM
https://taccom3g.com/product-category/9mm-pcc-components-and-accessories/ruger-pccarbine/

I added the charge handle, mag well and oversize mag release button to mine. It's all pretty slick. :) I put the oversize charge handle on the left and the stock on the right. The mag well just snaps on. but is stable and works well. The oversize mag release is good. With the oversize charge handle and the mag well, there is no chance of releasing the mag by accident when laying the carbine on it's side.

I then ran another 100 rounds. It's easy to hit an A, B, C steel plate at 100 yards.

HCM
06-17-2018, 02:41 AM
New MLOK foreend for the PCC from Parker Mountain Machine preview:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/06/08/pmm-mlok-handguard/

Doug
07-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Now this optic mounted to the barrel might push me over the edge to get a new PC9. It replaces the rear sight on top of the barrel and hopefully would mount the optic in a lower overall position.

https://taccom3g.com/product/ruger-pc-carbine-rear-optic-sight-mount/

https://taccom3g.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/taccom-ruger-pc-carbine-rear-sight-optic-mount-.jpg

I wonder Airdus could make one a little lower with an integral mount and with an incorporated rear notch sight ...

aimtrue
08-08-2018, 07:34 PM
I thoroughly enjoy my Ruger9 PC Carbine. It is well-designed and comfortable to shoot.

To make it more accurate and friendly, I added a Vortex Crossfire Fiber Optic Red Dot sight, a Super Comp Muzzle Brake and a CVLife Bipod. See attached Ruger9 PC Carbine photo.

It has handled every kind of ammo that I have loaded without suffering a single failure.

I am not a great marksman, but with these modifications, I print very small patterns shooting from the shoulder up to about 40 yards. For distances such as 75 yards, I use the bipod and can still make small patterns. See attached 75 yard target.

However, my hit patterns spread outward significantly at father distances. I think this 9mm PC carbine might still create small hit patterns if shot by more youthful arms and hands then I have at my age.

Chuck Whitlock
08-12-2018, 03:19 PM
How long before they make a version of this for the PCC?

Lon
10-22-2018, 09:45 PM
One of the guys in my squad at tonight’s match was shooting one of these. Only PCC that actually worked out of 4. Neat little rifle. May need to get one of these.

jeremy_[
10-23-2018, 07:32 AM
I've been pestering anyone who will listen that Ruger needs to make a Charger version of the take down PCC that takes a pistol brace. 6-10 inch threaded barrel would be sweet.

Tokarev
10-23-2018, 11:44 AM
I've been pestering anyone who will listen that Ruger needs to make a Charger version of the take down PCC that takes a pistol brace. 6-10 inch threaded barrel would be sweet.I don't think Ruger has any interest in the brace idea.

ricky_bobby
10-23-2018, 12:34 PM
So whats the over/under on Magpul coming out with a Takedown stock kit for it? I love their offering on the 10/22

Screwball
10-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Probably still seeing how popular they are and where the line may lead. Pistol caliber carbines is a very tricky market.

jeremy_[
10-23-2018, 12:54 PM
My understanding is that Ruger likes to make money so if enough people ask for it then they'll make it.

Tokarev
10-24-2018, 06:13 PM
I had a nice chat with one of the Ruger LE sales folks today. We talked a bit about this little carbine.

He said Ruger has seen a pretty good interest in this gun as a patrol carbine. Departments issuing the Glock can use this gun without having to buy additional magazines, pouches, Etc. He said they've also had a pretty good interest from the school resource officer crowd. The gun breaks down nice and small and can be carried easily in a bag or pack so it is out of sight but handy in case of emergency.

mtnbkr
10-25-2018, 06:51 AM
He said they've also had a pretty good interest from the school resource officer crowd. The gun breaks down nice and small and can be carried easily in a bag or pack so it is out of sight but handy in case of emergency.

Now THAT is a use case I hadn't considered. Hell, they could walk around with it in a tennis racket bag like so many gunnies show online with their SBRs or AR pistols and hide the gun in plain site. I jest a bit about the racket bag, but the point is it can be completely innocuous and not bother anyone.

Chris

Tokarev
10-25-2018, 06:54 AM
Now THAT is a use case I hadn't considered.

Me, neither.

Anyone looking back through this thread a bit will see that I am not really a fan of the PCC. But I suppose it does have its limited usefulness.

Zincwarrior
10-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Me, neither.

Anyone looking back through this thread a bit will see that I am not really a fan of the PCC. But I suppose it does have its limited usefulness.

PCCs are for fun plinking happy time.

Drang
10-26-2018, 08:14 PM
And there are still no magwell adapters for other pistolas... :(

vandal
10-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Mine is on its way back to Ruger for failures to eject resulting many stovepipes. Factory Glock mags/variety of good quality factory ammo.

Clusterfrack
10-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Mine is on its way back to Ruger for failures to eject resulting many stovepipes. Factory Glock mags/variety of good quality factory ammo.

This was what I saw from a guy's Ruger PCC at a match a couple months ago. Gun no workey. Much frustration and cussing.

Erick Gelhaus
10-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Picked up one yesterday at the second LGS I went to. The first one talked themselves out of the sale - completely different story.

Looking forward to some time with this, nice to see the after-market developing for it.

Lon
10-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Picked up one yesterday at the second LGS I went to. The first one talked themselves out of the sale - completely different story.

Looking forward to some time with this, nice to see the after-market developing for it.

Saw an MLOK handguard somewhere for it and a post about the Volquartsen 10/22 trigger working in it the other night. Was doing some research whilst imbibing in some adult beverages.

Nephrology
10-29-2018, 02:17 PM
I'm hoping Magpul goes after it like they have other ruger products... a magpul stock would be hugely appealing to me.

HCM
10-29-2018, 03:39 PM
Saw an MLOK handguard somewhere for it and a post about the Volquartsen 10/22 trigger working in it the other night. Was doing some research whilst imbibing in some adult beverages.

Handguard is in Post #191 of this thread.

Joe Mac
10-30-2018, 06:46 PM

Mine has 1500-2000 rounds through it thus far. It's been mostly fed Win NATO ball and Gold Dot 124 +P, with a bit of 124 Lawman. Here's what I've figured out:

1. You've gotta do the barrel seating procedure, as described in the manual (loosen nut all the way, install barrel, tighten nut), before firing it. I didn't until I pulled my head out of my ass and read the damn book, after having a half-dozen or so failures to feed or eject in the first few hundred rounds.

2. Once seated correctly, it ran 100% with all ammo and OEM or Magpul mags...for about 300 rounds or so – then I got a stovepipe or two, and the entire forend started to rotate slightly in my hand while firing.

3. Seated the barrel again; back to reliable, smooth sailing – for another 300 rounds or so.

4. Re-seat barrel, etc. etc.

So it apparently beats the barrel loose, leading to malfunctions, after several hundred rounds of high-pressure ammo. It is reliable when properly tightened, and very accurate: I got one-hole, .5" groups at 25 yards with Gold Dot. (By the way, the irons were dialed perfectly for 124 +P right out of the box – no adjustment needed.)

Re-seating the barrel takes only seconds, so it's no inconvenience to do after each range trip. However, I found to my disappointment (but not surprise) that re-seating the barrel caused my Aimpoint zero to wander. This gun is going to be irons only, which is no biggie given the purpose I bought it for (politically correct road trip carbine for states like CA, where I go at least once a year).

If Ruger has an update for these that will prevent this quirk, I'll send it in. Otherwise, it's useful to me as-is. I also added a TLR-7 on the little accessory rail.

Bigghoss
10-31-2018, 12:03 AM
Am I the only one that wishes there was a fixed barrel version with the rear peep on the receiver? For me a folding stock would be plenty short.

JRB
10-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Am I the only one that wishes there was a fixed barrel version with the rear peep on the receiver? For me a folding stock would be plenty short.

Absolutely not - it seems that all of the problems are associated with the takedown feature, and frankly I'd never use the takedown feature on a rifle like that. That's the only reason I don't own one at this point, honestly. I'd given some thought to how I'd fix the barrel nut permanently if I did own one.

After doing away with the takedown stuff, though - if they made a stainless version in a wood stock made of that green laminated birch Ruger fancies, I'd be all over it.

If they made the same in an 80's style Mini-14 side folding stock, I'd reach for my wallet so fast that I'd sprain my wrist.

Erick Gelhaus
11-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Switched out the mag wells tonight before getting the magazine release set for a left hander. Two questions:

a) has anyone switched the safety to a left hand friendly version? I’ve been spoiled by having changed them around on my 870s;
b) anyone seen a buttstock mag pouch or even a fore end pouch that would hold a spare Glock mag as a reload? Years back, Eagle Ind made a pistol mag pouch that attached to the shooters forearm. Using a bunch of mil grade elastic and some nylon, it would hold a spare pistol mag. I’m thinking a buttstock mounted/attached version of that.

Thanks

Chuck Whitlock
11-10-2018, 10:42 AM
b) anyone seen a buttstock mag pouch or even a fore end pouch that would hold a spare Glock mag as a reload? Years back, Eagle Ind made a pistol mag pouch that attached to the shooters forearm. Using a bunch of mil grade elastic and some nylon, it would hold a spare pistol mag. I’m thinking a buttstock mounted/attached version of that.

I want to say that a couple of outfits made these back in the day for the Ruger PC9 and Marlin Camp Carbines. Something along the lines of the buttstock pouches for the M1 Carbine.

HCM
11-10-2018, 02:19 PM
I want to say that a couple of outfits made these back in the day for the Ruger PC9 and Marlin Camp Carbines. Something along the lines of the buttstock pouches for the M1 Carbine.

Uncle mikes made one.

LOBO
11-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Switched out the mag wells tonight before getting the magazine release set for a left hander. Two questions:

a) has anyone switched the safety to a left hand friendly version? I’ve been spoiled by having changed them around on my 870s;

Thanks

You might want to contact https://olongapooutfitters.com/ to see if they have something that might work. If they don't stock an item that'll work, they may make something for you.

Erick Gelhaus
11-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Checked the places mentioned, no one is cataloging anything yet. With the variety of extensions &/or aftermath extended capacity magazines, I'm not sure a one size fits all could be done w/out using elastic or really extended flaps. Thanks.

Last night I ordered Taccom's mag funnel and replacement sight rail.

mrozowjj
11-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Stumbled across these guys - looks like there’s some positive parts to check out. One thing I noted is that they have an oversized mag release that will release with a hit of the palm, and also one that will release with the trigger finger. The magwell looks interesting too.

Palm mag change

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiYdxM8wICs

Trigger finger mag release/magwell/oversized charging handle

https://taccom3g.com/product-tag/ruger-pc-carbine/

Website seems to have some issues right now, but an image search pulls up some cool goodies. In the meantime, this cached result should give a good idea of what’s out there:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://taccom3g.com/product-category/9mm-pcc-components-and-accessories/ruger-pccarbine/

So that's how you put that plastic extender thing on the gun... fair enough I'll have to give that a go. I tried it that way and it just seemed like there wasn't enough stability on the plastic lever thing to actually let the mag be dropped.

Dorsai
11-13-2018, 08:02 PM
If there is money to be made, someone will respond. I don't own a PCC, but a friend of mine does and I've shot his. It was definitely fun. While there is nothing wrong with making something that is just fun with no practical purpose, I don't think that is the case with the Ruger. Hopefully I don't ramble or make this too long, but in it's current configuration, it is very PC as in politically correct, but it has a lot of potential. I think of it much like an upsized 10/22 in it's potential. I think Ruger made a pragmatic and brilliant choice to include a Glock mag compatible mag well, and give it a conventional stock so it is legal everywhere. However....

Magpul. Magpul really primed the pump with their Backpacker stock for the 10/22. Some people set them up as survival rifles, lots of people get them because they LOOK like a survival rifle. Even though they never really do anything to set it up as such. Just as many Jeeps never leave the road. The point is, they sell. Everyone I've ever spoken to who owns a Ruger PCC is waiting with bated breath for Magpul to announce their Backpacker stock for the PCC. I truly think Magpul will make one and I would not be surprised if Ruger worked with them on the idea and offered a Magpul version of the PCC at some point.

Charger/pistol version. I personally think that the 10/22 Charger in it's stock form is one of the most useless firearms on the market. However, Copper Custom came out with a $50 adaptor for the synthetic stocked Charger that allowed the user to install an AR15/M4 receiver extension or brace. With the ATF ruling that an SB Tactical brace does not become a stock when shouldered, the faux-SBR market has boomed. It makes the Charger a very short and handy rifle and a great suppressor host. The same applies to Ruger PCC, especially if there was a factory stock that was set up for a side folding brace.

I know more than one person who has set up a Ruger PCC as a home defense gun in preference to an AR or shotgun. Their rationale is that it has less muzzle blast and recoil than either the AR or shotgun, uses the same magazine as their handgun and isn't too much for the wife (I know, a sexist statement that is often applicable), elderly or teens. A pistol version with a brace makes it much handier for close quarters.

So here at the end, the important take away is not whether you, or I would buy one with a Magpul stock, or a Charger and brace, it is simply whether they will sell or not. I hate the Taurus Judge, but no one can deny that they sell. And if Ruger or Magpul don't step up and offer the product, someone else will. Probably not as good or aesthetically pleasing, but they will. ATI, Tapco, FAB, etc.

Erick Gelhaus
11-19-2018, 04:29 PM
I picked up Taccom's magazine well and replacement Weaver sight rail. They arrived within the estimated time.

The magazine well is probably one of the very aftermarket accessories that was really as easy to install as the manf's directions claimed. I'll see about the scope rail week - and courtesy of Ellifritz I've got a quite inexpensive RDS coming to go on it.

vandal
11-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Got my PCC back from Ruger. The turnaround on the repair was very quick. From the log the tech worked about 75 minutes with it including test fire and returned it the same. They replaced the bolt head, extractor, and ejector.

It now runs on all the standard pressure ammo I tried (115 Winchester, 147 Speer FMJ, 147 Federal FMJ, 147 Federal HST, from any of the magazine lengths.

+P is still a no-go, causing stovepipes. I had hoped it would run on the 124gr+P Gold Dots because the numbers looked good out of a 16" barrel.

But I carry standard pressure 147 HST and 147gr is all I buy so I'll just live with that and be happy. -ish.

awp_101
11-19-2018, 05:52 PM
And there are still no magwell adapters for other pistolas... :(
An adapter for Beretta 92 mags would be a nice option...

Bratch
11-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Academy has these on sale for $399 on Black Friday. I’ve been wanting a 9mm “carbine” that I could run suppressed for a while. Looked at the Sig and CZ or just building an AR but have not followed through with it. At $400 is there anything on the market that can compare?

JFK
11-21-2018, 11:52 PM
I am a little late to the thread, but I won one of these at a USPSA match and thought I would sell it. I took it out for a test run and I actually think I am going to keep it.

Very accurate and so far (500 ends) reliable. I have it set up for the glock mags and it is a pretty soft shooting fun little tool. Ruger has been doing pretty good at coming out with affordable and quality products. This rifle is well worth the retail price.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm interested in one but I want one without the threaded barrel because it might travel to states that ban such (idiots). When last I asked at Academy or Bass, they didn't carry such and they are rare. Any hints?

Tom Duffy
11-23-2018, 12:18 PM
I'm interested in one but I want one without the threaded barrel because it might travel to states that ban such (idiots). When last I asked at Academy or Bass, they didn't carry such and they are rare. Any hints?

They are rare and getting rarer. Over the summer I ordered a Ruger PCC from my dealer in New Jersey. He assumed he'd be getting a non threaded barrel since everyone he'd gotten to that point was. I liked the idea since even though a threaded barrel is legal in New Jersey, I wanted to be able to shoot at matches in neighboring New York. After a wait, he got one in with a threaded barrel. I decided not to wait and bought it. It's pretty cheap to have a gunsmith secure the thread protector to the barrel to make it legal in non-threaded barrel states. I don't see much use for a threaded barrel on this gun, anyway. However, maybe if I could secure a bayonet... :)

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2018, 12:22 PM
If it is secured, is there some ruling that makes it legal in NY?

Tom Duffy
11-23-2018, 12:40 PM
If it is secured, is there some ruling that makes it legal in NY?
Can't give you a reference. General consensus at the matches is that the modification makes it legal.

Screwball
11-23-2018, 03:08 PM
It's pretty cheap to have a gunsmith secure the thread protector to the barrel to make it legal in non-threaded barrel states.

You had the thread protector pinned?

That was the only feature on the rifle, so would have been fine if left alone. At least current NJ law. Just pin the magazines to 10, and good to go.

Bratch
11-23-2018, 06:31 PM
You jerks didn’t talk me out of it so I can finally cross suppressed 9mm carbine off of my to buy list. I’ll have to find somewhere to shoot it that is quiet enough to evaluate. I’ve already threatened a late night gopher extermination mission but the boss frowned on that idea.

https://preview.ibb.co/f8ycvV/8-BA7-E8-AE-C833-4529-B484-6622268-A7-C55.jpg (https://ibb.co/e6EvhA)

GuanoLoco
11-23-2018, 07:03 PM
The challenge with suppressed 9mm PCC’s is that a 16” barrel is more than enough to get most ammo up to supersonic levels, which is anything but quiet.

If you reload then a very heavy bullet combined with a small amount of a fast powder and lower velocities (< 800 fps) can produce some vary satisfying results. Careful with pressure though - a harder primer like CCI’s is a good ldea. Also...beware ricochets...9mm rounds tend to bounce erratically.

Bratch
11-23-2018, 07:37 PM
Loknlod and I were discussing that this afternoon I’m hoping some of the 147s will stay sub and I have a couple boxes of a 158 gr sub to try out. If those both pop it’ll be back to the drawing board.

Tom Duffy
11-23-2018, 08:40 PM
You had the thread protector pinned?

That was the only feature on the rifle, so would have been fine if left alone. At least current NJ law. Just pin the magazines to 10, and good to go.
No. I said I would have the thread protector pinned if I intended to shoot it at matches in any state.

Screwball
11-23-2018, 09:03 PM
No. I said I would have the thread protector pinned if I intended to shoot it at matches in any state.

Roger that... misread your post.

NH Shooter
12-02-2018, 04:08 PM
You jerks didn’t talk me out of it so I can finally cross suppressed 9mm carbine off of my to buy list. I’ll have to find somewhere to shoot it that is quiet enough to evaluate. I’ve already threatened a late night gopher extermination mission but the boss frowned on that idea.

https://preview.ibb.co/f8ycvV/8-BA7-E8-AE-C833-4529-B484-6622268-A7-C55.jpg (https://ibb.co/e6EvhA)

What can is that?

Very cool set up. I'll have some funds in Q2 of next year for a new firearm purchase, this is now on the list of consideration.

Bratch
12-02-2018, 09:37 PM
What can is that?

Very cool set up. I'll have some funds in Q2 of next year for a new firearm purchase, this is now on the list of consideration.

It’s an old Gemtech Tundra. I bought it back in the 0Xs when Gemtech ran their Gemtech Tax special. It’s mainly set in the safe this whole time but maybe it’ll finally get some use on the PCC.

Gater
12-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Following this one with interest, and it got me to poking around. I missed it if it was mentioned earlier, but this looks like a handy accessory:

Midwest Industries Ruger PC9 M-Lok rail mount

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Ruger-PC9-M-Lok-Mount-M-LOK-Compatible-p/mi-pc9m.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvaScY7GCR8

Tokarev
12-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Following this one with interest, and it got me to poking around. I missed it if it was mentioned earlier, but this looks like a handy accessory:

Midwest Industries Ruger PC9 M-Lok rail mount

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Ruger-PC9-M-Lok-Mount-M-LOK-Compatible-p/mi-pc9m.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvaScY7GCR8"And it's Midwest Industries quality..."

HCM
12-09-2018, 03:35 PM
"And it's Midwest Industries quality..."

While some of their designs are better than others, IME their execution (fit, finish etc) has been consistently good.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2018, 11:34 AM
I have received my carbine but haven't shot it yet. My real life is busy (sigh). One reason for the gun was restricted area travel, so not a threaded barrel. Got a good price for it from Brownells (Thanks to Tom_Jones for the heads up).

So my thoughts, some states are magazine cap limited. It is common for folks to join AR mags together. In fact, I am always slightly annoyed at our carbine matches when a tac reload (useful or not - another thread) is required and some of my compadres using joined mags for that. Boo, hiss!

Does anyone make a gadget to join a couple of Glock mags together? My thought would be that a couple of tens (I love NY) could be joined. I guess Cuomo would plot in his pants for that idea but can it be done and is it legal.

Of course, for other states, joining two 17s or 33s would be neat but length might influence the design of such.

Might be fun till the Donald bans all high caps as destructive devices.

Tokarev
12-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Does anyone make a gadget to join a couple of Glock mags together? My thought would be that a couple of tens (I love NY) could be joined.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181219/7408afbec0b5a4c0435d82059f15b959.jpg

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2018, 11:39 AM
That does not look tacticool. It's like Clint Smith taping a D cell flashlight to a coach gun with duct tape. Have you NO sense of style!

Thanks for the laugh.

Tokarev
12-19-2018, 11:42 AM
That does not look tacticool. It's like Clint Smith taping a D cell flashlight to a coach gun with duct tape. Have you NO sense of style!

Thanks for the laugh.You're welcome.

There's this but the mags might be too close together to clear the side of the carbine. Not sure but it might be worth playing with.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=921008

OlongJohnson
12-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the laugh.

Works on Ferrari race cars:

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-280831-Printed-Inches-Single/dp/B007V4YAOK/

Glenn E. Meyer
12-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Thanks for Lone Wolf suggestion. When I searched, my Google-fu terms didn't bring it up. Duh.

It would seem to work for the 17s. Might work for 10 round G17 mags. Another Christmas present for myself?

newyork
12-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Is there a huge ballistic difference between a bullet fired from this vs a G19/17?

peterb
12-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Is there a huge ballistic difference between a bullet fired from this vs a G19/17?

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

newyork
12-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Is it not a ton or am I reading that wrong

peterb
12-19-2018, 10:01 PM
There’s a big difference in the lighter bullet, hotter loads but not as much with the heavier bullets.

It’s interesting to compare with something like the .357 Magnum which can really take advantage of the extra barrel length.

newyork
12-19-2018, 10:22 PM
Ok so I was reading right.

Totem Polar
12-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Ok so I was reading right.

Pretty much. Seconding checking out either .357 or .327 fed mags when you have time... 4" to 16 0r 18" is night and day.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Took my new Ruger PCC to a carbine match just out of the box. I put the Glock mag well in and a Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight on it.

I really like the gun. It shot very well. Not one hitch. I ran 10 and 15 round Glock 19 mags in it and 17 round G17 rounds in it. Why not 33's the crowd asked as I had to reload. Well, that's what I had. I also wanted to see how they ran, esp. the 10's for ban state visits (until Common Use Kavanaugh causes all bans to be lifted).

The gun is certainly accurate. Points down where 0,0,2 and an 11 and 12. The latter two were because:

1. I was too slow on a swinger and missed a shot. Bah.

2. On three far targets I shot too low. Need to take the gun and sight to a square range and diddle with it.

I'm seeing quite a few at the matches. It is a fun gun at a reasonable price. Yeah, you can buy an an AR style but not useful for ban state travel.