PDA

View Full Version : RFI Lever Action Gun Smith

JM Campbell
12-26-2017, 11:56 AM
I’m contributing to a College Graduation present for one of my closest friends son, I don’t have kids and probably never will and he is just like a son to me.

We’ve got @ 3.5 years to get this done.

Family heirloom 30/30 lever action Pony Express gun carried and used by his great grandfather performing his duties as a Pony Express in the good old days.

I’m not sure if the exact model or manufacturer and hope to see it soon. We would like to get it restored and slicked up for actual use and not just a display piece.

I am aware of Superior Firearms and their excellent work, are there other options that you would recommend for this very special job. If you’ve had something done please post a pic and what was performed.

Thanks for all your replies.
JM Campbell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malamute
12-26-2017, 12:12 PM
More info about the gun would help, and the level of work needed.

Probably US Mail carrier, rather than actual Pony Express?

JM Campbell
12-26-2017, 12:16 PM
More info about the gun would help, and the level of work needed.

Probably US Mail carrier, rather than actual Pony Express?

Story I was told Pony Express but it could have been a communication error.

Buddy is trying to have his BIL ship it to him so we can get the ball rolling.

I will reach out for some more info on the firearm.

Malamute
12-26-2017, 12:27 PM
May have been family legend morphing, the Pony Express operated from 1860 to 61. Still, family heirloom gun with long history should get VIP treatment.

On the shipping, if the serial number is from before 1898, it can be shipped directly between individuals in most states, otherwise it would need to be shipped to an FFL on the receiving end.

It may not be a 30-30, to many people, a lever action of any sort is a"30-30". If it was a lever action from the actual Pony Express days, that would limit it to an original 1860 Henry (44 rimfire caliber), made by the New Haven Arms Company (that became the Winchester Repeating Arms company in 1866), or a Spencer, the only 2 lever actions available at that time, and would be worth fairly sizable amounts of money, and should be heavily insured, like perhaps in the $15K range depending on condition and model.

Interested to see how this develops, whatever direction it ends up.

ETA: Thinking about this a bit more, they may not be gun people at all. It would be best if the sender can take some clear pictures of it, including the serial number and any model or caliber info and keep it before sending in case anything happens to it in transit. With no specific info, not only would a family heirloom be lost with almost zero chance of recovery, but if it is actually more valuable than a common gun, theyd never get anything for it. They may not have any idea how to properly pack it either. And not label it with anything the suggests its a gun on the outside.

If its a rare or unique gun, or just truly old, any clean-up work may degrade its value significantly unless done by a true restoration grade gunsmith. Unfortunately, many guns are cleaned up by well meaning but uninformed people, and do permanent damage and large loss of value. Almost everything commonly done to old guns by inexperienced people in an effort to "clean them up" does damage.

Aray
12-26-2017, 01:48 PM
May have been family legend morphing, the Pony Express operated from 1860 to 61. Still, family heirloom gun with long history should get VIP treatment.

On the shipping, if the serial number is from before 1898, it can be shipped directly between individuals in most states, otherwise it would need to be shipped to an FFL on the receiving end.

It may not be a 30-30, to many people, a lever action of any sort is a"30-30". If it was a lever action from the actual Pony Express days, that would limit it to an original 1860 Henry (44 rimfire caliber), made by the New Haven Arms Company (that became the Winchester Repeating Arms company in 1866), or a Spencer, the only 2 lever actions available at that time, and would be worth fairly sizable amounts of money, and should be heavily insured, like perhaps in the $15K range depending on condition and model.

Interested to see how this develops, whatever direction it ends up.

ETA: Thinking about this a bit more, they may not be gun people at all. It would be best if the sender can take some clear pictures of it, including the serial number and any model or caliber info and keep it before sending in case anything happens to it in transit. With no specific info, not only would a family heirloom be lost with almost zero chance of recovery, but if it is actually more valuable than a common gun, theyd never get anything for it. They may not have any idea how to properly pack it either. And not label it with anything the suggests its a gun on the outside.

If its a rare or unique gun, or just truly old, any clean-up work may degrade its value significantly unless done by a true restoration grade gunsmith. Unfortunately, many guns are cleaned up by well meaning but uninformed people, and do permanent damage and large loss of value. Almost everything commonly done to old guns by inexperienced people in an effort to "clean them up" does damage.

This is all VERY good advice.

GJM
12-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Jim Brockman, Brockman Custom, Gooding Idaho.

HCM
12-26-2017, 01:54 PM
I’m contributing to a College Graduation present for one of my closest friends son, I don’t have kids and probably never will and he is just like a son to me.

We’ve got @ 3.5 years to get this done.

Family heirloom 30/30 lever action Pony Express gun carried and used by his great grandfather performing his duties as a Pony Express in the good old days.

I’m not sure if the exact model or manufacturer and hope to see it soon. We would like to get it restored and slicked up for actual use and not just a display piece.

I am aware of Superior Firearms and their excellent work, are there other options that you would recommend for this very special job. If you’ve had something done please post a pic and what was performed.

Thanks for all your replies.
JM Campbell

The answer is it depends on what the base gun actually is and what condition it is in.

I would start by taking the base gun to Alex Hamilton at ten ring precision. He is local to us. If he can’t do the work, he will know who can.

By appointment Tues -Sat.

https://tenring.com

BN
12-26-2017, 03:46 PM
It isn't one of the Commemorative models is it? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/732606632

The 30-30 cartridge date to the 1890's.

JM Campbell
12-26-2017, 04:46 PM
It isn't one of the Commemorative models is it? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/732606632

The 30-30 cartridge date to the 1890's.

I do not believe so, the family are not gun people like all of us and have handed it down as a heirloom. They hunt but are not serious gun people that hit the range and classes.

Robinson
12-27-2017, 01:50 AM
I had a Marlin worked over by Mic McPherson and he did a splendid job. Smoothed the action and loading gate, and did some work to improve the rifle's accuracy. He does work on wood stocks as well.