PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

RJ
12-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Well, been off the wagon and away from the gym wayyy too much the latter part of the year.

From achieving 179 about three years ago, I know I’ve put on at least 25 lbs and probably more lately here in the holidays.

If anyone wants to join me, I plan to weigh in on January 1, 2018. I will track my weight for a month to see how much I can lose by 1 Feb.

The winner, by percent of original weight lost, will get bragging rights, as well as be on the way to a healthier 2018. Contest is on the Honor System.

Anyone is welcome to join me; just post starting and ending weight in February.

TheNewbie
12-24-2017, 03:03 PM
I want to lose 10 pounds while increasing my cardio and my bench press. So I'm all in with you.

Good luck!

BobLoblaw
12-24-2017, 03:42 PM
I lost 30 last year. I want to lose 25 this year and keep it off. The easiest way is to cut out beer and pizza (fuck that). The hard way is to bust my ass 6 days/wk instead of 3. I’ll shoot for 10 in January.

JM Campbell
12-24-2017, 04:07 PM
I’m down, got to shed some of this and be healthy going forward. I ain’t getting younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD
12-24-2017, 04:09 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171224/b5b09e8cc45a6cea423a0e7627df5946.jpg

scjbash
12-24-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm in. Maybe this will help motivate me to use the treadmill we bought last new year. :rolleyes:

Malamute
12-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Well, its not too hard to lose 20-25 lbs if youre in so much pain you have no appetite, but I dont suggest that method.

It was, unfortunately more muscle than fat.

JAD
12-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Quit liking my gif. I stole it from Lil.

schüler
12-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Quit liking my gif. I stole it from Lil.

Just for that, another Like.

I'm in. Need to find a scale...

txdpd
12-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Contest is on the Honor System.

Does this exclude spiking my weight by drinking saltwater before weigh in?

I'm in.

GJM
12-24-2017, 08:44 PM
5 PF dollars for the first guy to register their wife in this thread.

schüler
12-24-2017, 08:48 PM

Do work wives count?

I'm thinking Tom could make a quick buck by registering LL.

schüler
12-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Does this exclude spiking my weight by drinking saltwater before weigh in?

I'm in.

I see no problem weighing in while drowning in Galveston.

Duelist
12-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Oh, fine. I'm in.

I joined a gym. I was doing good till - going at least twice a week, working on the diet - about two weeks ago. Got a migraine, got the flu, and finally am feeling almost human again. Migraine hasn't really left. But it is less today.

We'll see how I'm doing his week.

Trukinjp13
12-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Well, been off the wagon and away from the gym wayyy too much the latter part of the year.

From achieving 179 about three years ago, I know I’ve put on at least 25 lbs and probably more lately here in the holidays.

If anyone wants to join me, I plan to weigh in on January 1, 2018. I will track my weight for a month to see how much I can lose by 1 Feb.

The winner, by percent of original weight lost, will get bragging rights, as well as be on the way to a healthier 2018. Contest is on the Honor System.

Anyone is welcome to join me; just post starting and ending weight in February.

Considering I started a diet thread. Be a bitch move to not join.

JodyH
12-24-2017, 11:38 PM
Let's only count losses from early March to mid April.
I have a BJJ tourney in April and I'll cut from 195 to 170 over three weeks or so.

cornstalker
12-25-2017, 12:01 AM
I dropped 33 pounds since May of this year doing the Paleo thing. Don't have any more to lose. I wish you guys well in your efforts. Your body will thank you. My knees love not hauling the extra weight!!

BWT
12-25-2017, 12:27 AM
I’m in; I dropped 32-ish last year and need another 15 to go.

God Bless,

Brandon

TheNewbie
12-25-2017, 02:36 AM
Let's only count losses from early March to mid April.
I have a BJJ tourney in April and I'll cut from 195 to 170 over three weeks or so.

How? I'm seriously interested.

TheNewbie
12-25-2017, 02:36 AM

What can you buy with 5 PF dollars?

JodyH
12-25-2017, 09:12 AM
How? I'm seriously interested.
Majority protein diet (some fat, zero carbs), start significantly restricting calories in the last week and lot's of water (2 gallons a day minimum, spiked with cream of tartar and sea salt).
4 hours per day, 4 days a week of "boxers cardio" at the gym (lot of jump rope, calisthenics and fast pad work with 16oz. gloves).
Cut the water down to 1/2 gallon or less (as required) the last 2 days.
Doing it that way I don't have to actually dehydrate much if any, at most I might dehydrate/jump rope 2 or 3 pounds the day of weigh-ins.

That is NOT a sustainable diet at all (it's a fighters cut), the calorie restrictions and workout combination will kick the body into "survival mode" after a few days and weight loss will stop as the body tries to save itself from self-cannibalization.
The water loading can be dangerous if you don't get enough minerals to compensate for what you're flushing out.
The water restriction, while not total dehydration, is close enough that you will be miserable.
I can lose up to 30# in 3 weeks if I'm cutting to welterweight 170# because my "walk-around" is usually right at 185# so anything over 175# is usually easy to cut water retention weight.
I have cut from 180# to 155# and that was brutal because everything under about 165# was basically self-cannibalization and dehydration.

TheNewbie
12-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Wow that's impressive!

How miserable are you? What's your calorie count like?

I'm 5ft 4in and I weigh about 178. I want to get down to 165 while maintaining ,if not gaining, strength.

cornstalker
12-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Majority protein diet (some fat, zero carbs), start significantly restricting calories in the last week and lot's of water (2 gallons a day minimum, spiked with cream of tartar and sea salt).
4 hours per day, 4 days a week of "boxers cardio" at the gym (lot of jump rope, calisthenics and fast pad work with 16oz. gloves).
Cut the water down to 1/2 gallon or less (as required) the last 2 days.
Doing it that way I don't have to actually dehydrate much if any, at most I might dehydrate/jump rope 2 or 3 pounds the day of weigh-ins.

That is NOT a sustainable diet at all (it's a fighters cut), the calorie restrictions and workout combination will kick the body into "survival mode" after a few days and weight loss will stop as the body tries to save itself from self-cannibalization.
The water loading can be dangerous if you don't get enough minerals to compensate for what you're flushing out.
The water restriction, while not total dehydration, is close enough that you will be miserable.
I can lose up to 30# in 3 weeks if I'm cutting to welterweight 170# because my "walk-around" is usually right at 185# so anything over 175# is usually easy to cut water retention weight.
I have cut from 180# to 155# and that was brutal because everything under about 165# was basically self-cannibalization and dehydration.

I agree. That is impressive. I hope I am not drifting the thread too far when I ask. What does the sea salt and cream of tartar do? How much do you put in?

RJ
12-25-2017, 12:41 PM
I hope I am not drifting the thread too far...

You *are* kidding, right?

[emoji41]

Jared
12-25-2017, 02:04 PM
I actually already started my plan last week with the intent to drop precisely 33 pounds, so I dunno if I'll qualify for your challenge Rich. That said I wish you all the best. Me, I'm trying to hit 200 pounds even.

JodyH
12-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Wow that's impressive!

How miserable are you? What's your calorie count like?

I'm 5ft 4in and I weigh about 178. I want to get down to 165 while maintaining ,if not gaining, strength.
Go to the diet thread and start there.
High quality fats, good proteins, very low carbs, no sugars.
That's the "secret" to real sustainable weight loss.
Start a calisthenics or kettlebell routine and stick to it.
Done...

JodyH
12-25-2017, 06:14 PM
I agree. That is impressive. I hope I am not drifting the thread too far when I ask. What does the sea salt and cream of tartar do? How much do you put in?
Sea salt and cream of tartar is salt, minerals and potassium bitartrate... think Gatorade without the sugars.
A small spoon of each per gallon is sufficient if you drinking a LOT of water in a day.

RJ
12-25-2017, 06:34 PM
I actually already started my plan last week with the intent to drop precisely 33 pounds, so I dunno if I'll qualify for your challenge Rich. That said I wish you all the best. Me, I'm trying to hit 200 pounds even.

We have room for everybody.

How about pick the day you started in Dec, then weigh out on the same day in January?

Jared
12-25-2017, 06:36 PM
We have room for everybody.

How about pick the day you started in Dec, then weigh out on the same day in January?

Alright. I can do that.

ragnar_d
12-26-2017, 12:21 PM
I'm game. I'm down to ~235 not from 268 in Oct. 2016, and that's down from 290 when I got married in July 2014. The goal is to hit 200-205 in Q1 of 2018 and try for a 5k Q2-Q3 next year.

ragnar_d
12-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Go to the diet thread and start there.
High quality fats, good proteins, very low carbs, no sugars.
That's the "secret" to real sustainable weight loss.
Start a calisthenics or kettlebell routine and stick to it.
Done...
Sounds like exactly what I did. Had my first physical in years back in August and my doc asked what my history was. Told her I'd dropped 33# in the last year and she asked how I did it. I gave her the same response I give everyone, "I eat a lot of bacon, eggs, nuts, cheese, and vegetables, I cook in bacon grease, ditched my 5-6/week Monster Lo-Carb habit, most all of my carbs are now fermented, distilled, and barrel aged, and I walk 2-3 miles a day." Surprised her a bit, but my bloodwork was spot on where it needed to be. She told me to keep up the diet changes and up the cardio a bit as I could.

holmes168
12-26-2017, 05:23 PM
I need to drop a solid two inches around the waist. I'm in!

P30
12-26-2017, 05:36 PM
High quality fats
So let's avoid McDonald's and the like.

The best fat I know is this: udoschoice.com/product/omega-3-oil-dha-health-supplement (http://udoschoice.com/product/omega-3-oil-dha-health-supplement/). I've read, it reduces/avoids inflammation in the joints. I use it for several years and feel that it's true. I also like high-quality walnut oil. Both contain omega-3 fatty acids.

no sugars
This means: No soft drinks (Coke and the like). I practice this for more than 20 years. My weight is constant 143# (5' 8.5").

But in episodic attacks, I eat lots of cookies or cake. Nobody's perfect. Usually the attacks only last one day, and then I stay clean for a week or two. I've noticed, the attacks correlate with stress.

Sugar in the form of organic fruits is OK, I think (because in fruits, it comes with healthy micronutrients).

Trukinjp13
12-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Okay, downside here. I need to buy a scale. I have not been tracking my weight at all. But if I am doing a start to finish I imagine I need a scale to keep it accurate start to finish.

BN
12-27-2017, 08:20 PM
I don't plan to lose much weight, but I am interested to see how each does it. Several years ago I lost 30 pounds on Atkins.

I know a guy who lost about half his body weight mostly with portion control. He is 190# now I think. He didn't have a scale that would weigh him before.

ranger
12-27-2017, 09:51 PM
I bought a kettlebell (Amazon Prime - free shipping!) and two books on kettlebell training based on another thread. I will try to get back to a more "Paleo" diet.

LockedBreech
12-27-2017, 11:49 PM
I lost 45 pounds this year and managed to re-gain 30 of them. I'm in.

Dagga Boy
12-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Lost 70 pounds last year. New wife and the holidays accounted for a plus 15. Goal is to get 17 pounds off by mid January. Discipline starts today. Breakfast.....eggs, cheese and beef ribs.

PhillySoldier
12-28-2017, 08:39 AM
I will TRY to join ya all. Not the most promising of commitments I know. I used to be pretty obsessive with working out and always eating healthy. Three years ago at 45 I was at 180 something, 7% body fat (BodPod tested). Since then I have become a widower, unmotivated and a couch potato. Im also a disabled vet and the weight gain and inactivity has been making physical pains much worse so Ive been telling myself that Im gonna give it an honest try come the new year.

Irelander
12-28-2017, 09:59 AM
There is a great thread on TPI about dieting for fat loss.

Here it is:
http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14822

Really good stuff here. My goal after New Years is to just stop eating so much and get used to being hungry. I'm a fairly active guy so small portions and eating right help me get to where I want to be weight-wise.

lwt16
12-28-2017, 10:03 AM
I gotta walk......and quit telling myself it's too cold or there is not enough time in the day to walk.

I already do the low carb thing......well, other than my wife cooking a dynamite Christmas dinner....complete with Red Velvet cake...home made......which I attempted to eat myself to death with......

Been miserable ever since......uniform gunbelt and Kevlar keeps reminding me to knock it off.

MichaelD
12-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Six years ago, after having lost my mother at age 60 to a heart attack, I lost about 65-70 pounds in a concerted effort to put my genetics in check (I got down to 195 at one point). Unfortunately, I'm now back up around 230 or so. I'm in.

Palmguy
12-28-2017, 10:27 AM
I dropped from 245 in March 2014 to 180 in July 2015. Did it mainly by reducing food intake (while not really changing what I eat, which isn't fantastic) and a hell of a lot of time on a bike. I'd ride 5-7 days a week, 10-25 miles depending on how much time I had. Held 180-185 for a year, and then last summer everything went to hell when my office closed and I had to move. Broke my established routine and regained some bad habits. I'm in a much less bicycle friendly location now, but I've let that be an excuse too long. Additionally need to change my horrible eating habits.

I'm back up to ~230 now. I'm in.

JclInAtx
12-28-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm in. I lost about 20 pounds between May and November this year with a mixture of low carb diet and exercise. Didn't quite get to where I wanted, about 5 lbs shy. Exercise and diet have tapered off starting with Thanksgiving so I'll probably be back up 10 lbs by new years. A month won't be enough to get me where I want to be, but should be a good start.

ragnar_d
12-28-2017, 12:00 PM
This means: No soft drinks (Coke and the like). I practice this for more than 20 years. My weight is constant 143# (5' 8.5").

But in episodic attacks, I eat lots of cookies or cake. Nobody's perfect. Usually the attacks only last one day, and then I stay clean for a week or two. I've noticed, the attacks correlate with stress.

Sugar in the form of organic fruits is OK, I think (because in fruits, it comes with healthy micronutrients).
This mirrors my experience. In the last 16 months I've been hit by a RIF, then hunting for a job, moving for a new job, dealing with a house 2 states away, a little one entering the terrible twos, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I managed to do okay staying on the wagon, but I know when I got stressed I wanted to destroy most of the Taco Bell menu, a large Monster, and a 6 pack of Yuengling. Not great for the physique.

Getting back into walking 2-3 miles of a morning before work and another 1-2 at night with the dog will do me good.

JM Campbell
12-28-2017, 12:30 PM
There is a great thread on TPI about dieting for fat loss.

Here it is:
http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14822

Really good stuff here. My goal after New Years is to just stop eating so much and get used to being hungry. I'm a fairly active guy so small portions and eating right help me get to where I want to be weight-wise.

If your not a member on TPI, here is a link to a blog post on the method.

https://pointdriventraining.com/2016/01/01/point-driven-fat-loss/

BN
12-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Just a comment on extra weight. I was looking around for something that equaled the 30# that I lost for a comparison. A case of 9mm ammo weighs 30#. ;) Just to get an idea of how much extra weight I had been carrying around. :)

luckyman
12-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Just weighed myself. Rats, up 8 lbs to 201.5. Lots of travel for work plus knee surgery and shoulder problems were a bad combo. I guess I'm on this bandwagon.

ragnar_d
12-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Just a comment on extra weight. I was looking around for something that equaled the 30# that I lost for a comparison. A case of 9mm ammo weighs 30#. ;) Just to get an idea of how much extra weight I had been carrying around. :)
Just took the doggo to the vet a couple months ago and she was 55#. So in about 14 months, I've lost a case of 9mm. In 3 years, I've lost the family dog. Damn. :eek:

Robert Mitchum
12-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Bruce Randall Long Island, New York.

My cousin lived next store to him years ago, her husband was a veterinary on Long Island, New York.

https://physicalculturestudy.com/2016/06/01/bruce-randall-and-the-most-amazing-transformation-in-bodybuilding/

"In contrast to his previous eating habits, Randall adopted a minimal eating pattern, eventually settling into the following diet:
Breakfast
2 soft boiled eggs
Plain pint of skim milk
Glass of orange juice
Apple

Lunch
Salad, dates & nuts

Dinner
Round Steak
Two vegetables
Quart skim milk with additional powdered milk
Gelatine
Coffee (Occasionally)
Similarly Randall changed his training style. Whereas previously he utilised low reps (3-5), the leaner Randall now used 12 – 15 reps alongside sets ranging from 6 – 20 per body part."

Cookie Monster
12-28-2017, 04:24 PM
I need to get my good habits back. I am in.

luckyman
12-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Lost 70 pounds last year.

Dang! That's impressive.

...New wife ....

Hey congratulations!!!!

JodyH
12-28-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm in. I'm also sort of stupid competitive, so if I die it's Rich_Jenkins fault. :)
Damn I wish I was in Albq.
I'd make it my mission to guarantee a Tom_Jones win.
:cool:

Trukinjp13
12-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Rich_Jenkins

Best thread to end 2017. Getting everyone to agree on improving ourselves by healthy competition. You sir win in my book regardless.

Caesar
12-28-2017, 08:35 PM
I’m fat. I’m in.

JodyH
12-28-2017, 08:40 PM
I’m fat. I’m in.
I laughed.
Awesome post.
Now make it happen.

RJ
12-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Just for the sake of consistency, could y’all please post your results (in February, of course) in the form of percent loss, in the following form:

Percent Loss = nn.nn%

Calculated as:

Percent loss = 100*(W2 - W1)/W1

Where:

W1 is original starting weight
W2 is ending final weight

So, for example, if you started at 210, and lost twenty pounds to 190, it would be 100*(190-210)/210 = -9.52%.

This will just keep everyone’s weight loss on an equal footing for purposes of who is the winner, as well as save me a bunch of time computing percentage changes.

Thanks!

Corey
12-28-2017, 10:10 PM
I'm in. It will be difficult with 2 jobs and going back to school in a couple of weeks. Won't have a lot of time for exercise so I will have to improve my diet. I eat to many snacks and drink way too much Dr Pepper. This should motivate me to do something about that.

Shotgun
12-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Great thread. Who will stay true to their New Year’s resolutions the longest? And, even if one does fall of the wagon a short time, there is enough encouragement and camaraderie here to help one get back on the wagon. My initial goal will be 10% of body weight. I don’t remember the numbers exactly, but there is a significant decrease in heart attack and stroke risk by losing 10%, at least in those of us who can stand to lose more than a few.

D.O.A.F.S.
12-30-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm in as well, fell off the wagon back in Sept. With the lack of motivation/exercise and the holidays I'm sure I have a pound or two to loose. I have not gotten on the scales but judging by the fit of my clothes this will do me good.

Dagga Boy
12-30-2017, 08:29 AM
My body was happy to start back to the only thing that works for me....straight Atkins. Started at 253.8, a couple days in and now 246.4. It should slow down, and even though it was all Ribeye and Prime Rib last night with a micro salad...I am hoping to fast track back to 240 which is my body’s current happy place and then down to 235, which seems to be the bottom. I would love to see 220 at some point...which was my favorite “playing weight” as a street cop, but even 230 would be hugely significant for me.

SecondsCount
12-30-2017, 01:53 PM
I am 5'11 169 lbs and get called skinny already so I am not going to try and lose anything but I am going to encourage those that are trying, and start lifting heavy to bulk up a little more.

A few years ago I was 178 and had cholesterol over 300. I dropped the 9 lbs and lowered the cholesterol down to 200 by walking more, eating more fish and nuts, and cutting sugar wherever I could find it. Things that I thought were healthy such as Wheat Thins and flavored greek yogurt, have a ton of sugar in them. I still eat carbs but only complex such as whole grain bread and brown rice, and make sure I get lots of good fats when I do.

TheNewbie
12-30-2017, 04:35 PM
I am 5'11 169 lbs and get called skinny already so I am not going to try and lose anything but I am going to encourage those that are trying, and start lifting heavy to bulk up a little more.

A few years ago I was 178 and had cholesterol over 300. I dropped the 9 lbs and lowered the cholesterol down to 200 by walking more, eating more fish and nuts, and cutting sugar wherever I could find it. Things that I thought were healthy such as Wheat Thins and flavored greek yogurt, have a ton of sugar in them. I still eat carbs but only complex such as whole grain bread and brown rice, and make sure I get lots of good fats when I do.

I admit I like the fruit Greek yogurt , but what I eat has 15 grams of protein vs 6 grams of sugar. Sometimes I'll add protein powder to it.

My last weekend of fun eating for a while.

EricM
12-31-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm in. Looked back at my logs and I dropped 50lb in 7 months a few years back, so I know what I need to do. But I always seem to find some excuse to slack on it and sabotage myself before reaching my goal (and maintaining it). This fall, I was forced to change my schedule and that impacted my normal exercise time in the morning...my excuse not to exercise. Been under a lot of stress the last few months...my excuse to let sugar back into my life. So now I'm not exercising or eating well, which also means I'm not sleeping well.

Hope this thread continues beyond February, could be nice to have a little accountability.

blues
12-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Good luck to you all. You can, and will do it!

I'm not in as I'm in a good place with my weight, but over 15 years ago when I decided to address some weight loss, (about 20 lbs total at the time), I followed the Atkins plan and despite not being totally strict, lost the weight in short order. I am a big believer in what the late Dr. Atkins brought to the masses. My blood chemistry numbers were also made much better in following his procedures.

Since that time my weight has only fluctuated 8 lbs or less and is easily manageable due to being active with weight training and lots of walking up and down hill in our environs.

Be strong!!!

RJ
12-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Good luck to you all. You can, and will do it!

I'm not in as I'm in a good place with my weight, but over 15 years ago when I decided to address some weight loss, (about 20 lbs total at the time), I followed the Atkins plan and despite not being totally strict, lost the weight in short order. I am a big believer in what the late Dr. Atkins brought to the masses. My blood chemistry numbers were also made much better in following his procedures.

Since that time my weight has only fluctuated 8 lbs or less and is easily manageable due to being active with weight training and lots of walking up and down hill in our environs.

Be strong!!!

Well, to be fair, it’s a percentage weight loss which will determine the winner. So technically you could go nuts today, and weigh in in Feb to pip all of us spare tire carriers. :cool:

Glenn E. Meyer
12-31-2017, 01:00 PM
I have lost significant weight by being enrolled in a class taught by the local YMCA that you need an Rx from your Doc. You get an exercise regime and diet plan. We met once a week as a support group at first and then moved to bi-weekly. We monitored portion control, fat and carbs. It worked - I can lose more but am pleased with the result. I became hooked on going to the gym and doing weights and treadmill. Unfortunately, the weights have gone by the wayside due to my car accident but I hit the walking. Also around the neighborhood. A local hill no longer bothers me. I made my weight loss gain which was to be 17% and beat it at 22% after a year's time.

I continue with the diet plan and exercise (going to docs to try to figure out my neck and shoulder - sigh).

The class started with 12 folks, we ended with 4 hard core. Folks drifted away because they just couldn't do it. Some had job or personal conflicts. Some who left did make progress but had the conflicts. Others were just ridiculous. We were discussing eating out. So if I want a burger, I tell them no mayo, secret sauce or cheese/bacon. I just get lettuce and tomato and ketchup. One of the drop outs actually screamed: I need my mayonnaise!

It's not like you have to eat Styrofoam patties if you pay attention. You can get a decent cheese at 15% fat content as compared to 30%. You don't need the pat of butter on the corn. You don't need four big cookies. Eat two mini ones instead. However, it takes will power.

One downside - hard to keep my pants up with gear. Perry suspenders are the awesome solution.

BN
12-31-2017, 02:55 PM
It's probably been over 10 years since I did Atkins and lost 30 pounds in a few months. I went from 190# to 160#. I did pretty strict Atkins during that time. Lots of very good recipes out there.

I still keep pretty much to Atkins style eating. Stay away from white stuff.

I was gaining a little and stopped that through portion control. I used to eat 3 eggs and 5 or 6 slices of bacon for breakfast. Now 2 eggs every day and occasionally 3 slices of bacon. I was eating a bowl of ice cream. Now I eat one spoonful of ice cream if I want it. Instead of 3 helpings at dinner, just 1 and a small second.

And I walk. ;)

It takes will power.

BN
01-01-2018, 12:22 AM
My wife said you all could get some exercise if you would just wind your watches. ;)

Jared
01-01-2018, 08:06 AM
My starting weight: 225.1 lbs.

RJ
01-01-2018, 08:11 AM
197.6 this morning.

D.O.A.F.S.
01-01-2018, 08:27 AM
196 this morning.

Cookie Monster
01-01-2018, 08:34 AM
163 this morning. Looking for 5 lbs gone but more then that, putting good stretching and exercise habits in place

holmes168
01-01-2018, 08:40 AM
A bit high at 172

BN
01-01-2018, 10:44 AM
173 pounds.

Dagga Boy
01-01-2018, 01:05 PM
243.4...... just finished bacon and eggs covered in cheese. Yummy!

ragnar_d
01-01-2018, 01:19 PM
As of 8:30 this morning, I'm at 235.6 pounds. Gained just under a pound over the holidays . . . whoops.

TheNewbie
01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
180 pounds yesterday. Hope for 165 by March.

schüler
01-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Start weight, measurements:
250.1lb
Chest @ nipple line 48.25"
Max ordinate love handle @ 44"

Start running tomorrow morning. Haven't run since mid-September.

Theme song is Slow Pain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJzfPGdWzI).

LOKNLOD
01-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Here's my weigh-in to start, from tonight: 191.8
I typically weigh in the morning every day, so I'll track this on MyFitnessPal.

That weight actually ain't too bad considering how many christmas cookies and candies I've eaten over the past week or so...

luckyman
01-01-2018, 11:34 PM
201 this morning

MichaelD
01-01-2018, 11:38 PM
As of 12:00pm today, 236.2 pounds.

BobLoblaw
01-01-2018, 11:58 PM
199.6 at wake up. 198.6 after my morning piss. Off to a good start.

EricM
01-02-2018, 01:07 AM
203.8 this morning. Not as bad as I feared. :)

FPS
01-02-2018, 03:47 AM
189 with a target of 180. I have lost 7.5 lbs a month consistently when I lost 65lbs in 9 months but not more than that in a 30 day period.

JclInAtx
01-02-2018, 08:17 AM
157 weigh in mid day yesterday. Not that late a New Years but the dog had me up before 6 and I didn't have the presence of mind to get on the scale before noon.

Nocturnalis Discipulo
01-02-2018, 05:48 PM
I guess I will take the heavyweight class at 270.1 at 5:30 PM. Although I am a few days in to a Prednisone and antibiotic course, which should make this weight loss interesting.

If you think its cheating I don't have to be in the competition, but I surely need to lose the weight:o

Palmguy
01-03-2018, 11:13 AM
234.3 this morning, first day back at home with the scale. Picked up 5 extra pounds over the two week Christmas break...great :mad:

schüler
01-03-2018, 11:57 AM
#TomJonesMemorialChallenge (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=TomJonesMemorialChallenge)

Duces Tecum
01-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Several months ago an on-line friend on another forum wrote about intermittent fasting. I was moved to try it, and today is my 169th consecutive day. My beginning weight was 191 and on Monday Jan 1st was 175.5. I believe the loss was entirely fat. Evidence for that belief is that the weights I exercise with have continued to increase even during the diet. I am thinner than I was and lift more than I did. Doesn't seem like that should be the case if I was losing muscle.

At the most basic level, the program is composed of two elements: what to eat and when to eat it. The "what" is low carb / high fat. The "when" is limited to an 8 hour eating window each day. There is a synergistic relationship between these elements moves the body to preferentially burn body fat rather than blood sugar.

References:
The Complete Guide to Fasting (Jason Fung, MD and Jimmy Moore)
Probably the first book to start with.
The Obesity Code (Jason Fung, MD)
A more technical book that diet wonks might enjoy.
Keto Clarity (Jimmy Moore with Eric C. Westman, MD)
A simple book addressing the Low Carb, Moderate Protein, High Fat diet (LCHF)

Duelist
01-03-2018, 02:00 PM
201# yesterday morning. Goal for Jan is to be in the 190 range. Feb is to be about 185.

Trukinjp13
01-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Jan. 1st- 259.5lbs.

Was 270 when I started the hippie diet at beginning of December. So diet is working quite well so far.

(Took a forum hiatus. Was self pissed over a thread I started that came out a lot different then what I thought I was doing. Straight fuck up)

RJ
01-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Well I broke down and bought another FitBit to try and motivate me to walk more this month. Got the simpler $60 Flex 2 this time.

Fitbit Flex 2, Black (US Version)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KH2PV4U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bnutAb4FCJVBN

Oh, and I guess p-f is rubbing off on me. [emoji41]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/20306ba8c4ce7c6fb8756e9f0b89ae75.jpg

That’s the good news.

Bad news is we might or might not have made some Pizza during the National Championship semi-finals bowl games on New Year’s Day. [emoji4]

Depmur
01-03-2018, 04:48 PM
I’m 2 days late but will check in, I weighed 211.2 this morning. Almost 2 years ago I weighed 260 and felt like crap. Started using My Fitness Pal and exercising more, got down to 205 October 2016 and have done pretty decent holding it. Several outside things over the past couple of months have put a little weight back on. I want to get down to a steady 195-200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Trukinjp13
01-03-2018, 07:56 PM
FWIW, I am sorry about that. :(

Seriously thank you. I wish someone would have pm me. For whatever reason It did not register to me what I was asking!

Oh wait. Mods are shit....🤣🤣

schüler
01-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Tom's secret weapon:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/7ff724f51dbb2251375f5531ef773518.jpg

The "Didgit[emoji769]" by Tau Dietary Gruppe. Pre-order for Feb 1 delivery.

luckyman
01-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Argh, the competitive part of me hates that I started taking creatine the same time I started the challenge. I’ll be tempted to drop it the last week of the month.

RJ
01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Ok, I wasted 4 days with the flu and this damned cold weather we are having here in Florida.

I should be no shit on the diet and exercise program tomorrow.

Cookie Monster
01-04-2018, 08:05 PM
I started Jan 1st with Noro Virus. Still down for the count. Maybe by Saturday, I’ll be getting after it.

Guerrero
01-04-2018, 09:19 PM
You guys might want to get on it, I’m already down ten pounds.What did you have amputated?

Trukinjp13
01-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Oh, y’all are really just doing this to save weight.....

Because I am most certainly winning.

BillSWPA
01-05-2018, 01:29 AM
For anyone trying to lose weight, or even just trying not to gain weight, I highly recommend the Lose It app. I lost about 27 lb. about a year ago using it. It makes tracking calories and exercise simple and fast.

lwt16
01-05-2018, 08:15 AM
You guys might want to get on it, I’m already down ten pounds.

Word.

I'm down about 7 by just stopping most carbs. Lots of lean protein (chicken, tuna), lots of boiled eggs, lots of fiber (salads), lots of soups. I've had a busy week though and the weekend will be hard to stick with it as the family wants me to make pizza tonight. We do a real thin cracker crust but I've got to be strong and not eat 50 slices.

I've only had a fraction of the dark chocolate I usually go through and that is helping more than I thought it would. Still not back on the walking as it has been below freezing most every day and I've worked some overtime this week.

But everything is fitting better.......the gun belt, the vest, the regular clothes......sleeping harder, etc.

Regards.

holmes168
01-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Down 3 pounds so far. 17 more to go before swimsuit season.

scw2
01-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Figure I'll join late since I've been too lax on the diet. Starting at 209 as of yesterday.

Going to give IF a try today just to kick things off since I recall seeing several people report great results after getting recommendations from Larry. Any advice on that front would be appreciated.

Should have preloaded with tons of sodium and water weight :)

RJ
01-05-2018, 10:01 AM
For anyone trying to lose weight, or even just trying not to gain weight, I highly recommend the Lose It app. I lost about 27 lb. about a year ago using it. It makes tracking calories and exercise simple and fast.

Thanks. This looks great.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180105/d0c7ec431a140bbac1f51f99c53d2307.jpg

ragnar_d
01-05-2018, 10:00 PM

I didn't use the Lose It app, but I've been using MyFitnessPal and MapMyWalk with good results. It keeps me honest and opened my eyes about a few things. Mainly I had a helluva lot of sodium in my diet from what I was eating (I love my homemade breakfast burritos, but those probably need to go). I've made it a goal to walk at least 10 miles a week, next week I'm going to work back up to 15 miles walking jogging of a morning (3 laps around the neighborhood) and another mile walking the dog at night.

schüler
01-06-2018, 08:45 AM
I didn't use the Lose It app, but I've been using MyFitnessPal and MapMyWalk with good results.

For those of you that favor guest checkout...

The GhostRacer app doesn't require a login or account. It syncs with most of the popular HRMs too and stores movement data locally. There is an option to connect online if you like. I use Android but there is an iPhone version.

Oddly, the Foretrex 401 wrist GPS also has HRM connectivity and recording capability.

Trukinjp13
01-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Question. Can we start a new thread at the end of the month? One that is specifically for the results. That way we can bs in this thread and the only posts in the other are results?

BobLoblaw
01-08-2018, 01:50 PM
How many tapeworms can simultaneously exist in an adult human GI tract before the host suffers life-threatening consequences?

schüler
01-08-2018, 02:05 PM
How many tapeworms can simultaneously exist in an adult human GI tract before the host suffers life-threatening consequences?No limit. Just a record waiting to be broken.

Duelist
01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
How many tapeworms can simultaneously exist in an adult human GI tract before the host suffers life-threatening consequences?

You don't want to see that video.

Drang
01-11-2018, 06:31 AM

Standing by for Kim Jung Un's response...

JAD
01-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Life got interesting on 12/30 — borked heat exchanger, frozen pipes — so I didn’t even weigh in until 1/4. Lifetime high of 182. Work is such that I am going in early rather than working out. We shall see.

RJ
01-15-2018, 09:22 AM
197.6 this morning.

....aaaaand 15 days later I’m at...197.

Whisky.

Tango.

Foxtrot.

Ok, so I’ve been stressing over the Condo reno, wife and I both had the flu, weather (for us) has been crappy and cold, and I’ve been getting up at odd hours to let the doggie out. (She’s going on 10).

Anyway.

I got a pair of dumbbells but over did the first workout in five months and took three days off due to soreness. My new Fitbit isn’t, really, honestly, motivating me. I’m doing better with Lose It! but oddly I have a documented 1,900 calories a day, low carb etc. and my weight isn’t changing.

So, two weeks to go.

Need to take some time out of my schedule and dedicate it to training and increasing my physical activity daily. When I got to 179 a few years ago, I was going to the gym pretty much every morning. Might be a clue there.

Trukinjp13
01-15-2018, 09:53 AM
....aaaaand 15 days later I’m at...197.

Whisky.

Tango.

Foxtrot.

Ok, so I’ve been stressing over the Condo reno, wife and I both had the flu, weather (for us) has been crappy and cold, and I’ve been getting up at odd hours to let the doggie out. (She’s going on 10).

Anyway.

I got a pair of dumbbells but over did the first workout in five months and took three days off due to soreness. My new Fitbit isn’t, really, honestly, motivating me. I’m doing better with Lose It! but oddly I have a documented 1,900 calories a day, low carb etc. and my weight isn’t changing.

So, two weeks to go.

Need to take some time out of my schedule and dedicate it to training and increasing my physical activity daily. When I got to 179 a few years ago, I was going to the gym pretty much every morning. Might be a clue there.

You got this man! Try and read through the diet thread again. I bet you can find something to help tweak your diet. Make sure you are not taking in too much sugars or drinking fruit juice. JodyH is on the money with the kettlebell workouts. A lot easier on your body and can burn some serious calories. Life is a bitch sometimes that is for sure. Hell if you can just lose 5-10 healthy pounds in the next two weeks that would be a win.

Depmur
01-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Rich don’t beat yourself up to much. I have also battled the flu and the weather here in North Te as has been unseasonably cold and if there is one thing that will remove all motivation it’s cold weather. With that being said I have managed to drop 2.7 pounds over the last 2 weeks. While it’s not front page worthy I will take it. My plan is to be at 195 or so by the end of March. I need to research these kettlebell work outs some, they seem to be mentioned a lot, anyone have info they don’t mind sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ragnar_d
01-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Rich, you're not alone in this. Right after New Years my stress spiked through the roof and Murphy put up a temporary camp in the backyard and I fell off the wagon (so to speak). I've managed to get down to 232.9, but that's after picking up a pound and a half.

Actually attended Varg's "Violence of Mind" class yesterday and that was a pretty good kick in the ass to get back at it (Slight sidebar: If you can take a class with Varg, do it. He could have charged double and I'd have paid it with a smile on my face).

I'm at least hoping to get under 230 by the end of January…227 would be awesome.

BobLoblaw
01-15-2018, 02:17 PM
I also got the flu. Lost 7 lbs in 2 days. Gained 5 in the 4 days after. If I’m lucky I’ll have net loss of 5 during this challenge. I used to lose 5 lbs in my sleep, literally.

Trukinjp13
01-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Man this stuff is everywhere! I was sick as Hell for most of last week and finally getting out of it. Weather is not helping the mood eithet.

David S.
01-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Less stress. More sleep.

Keep up the good work fellas.

BWT
01-17-2018, 05:41 PM
I’m back on the wagon and helping my wife (she asked for support and drive).

We went to the gym three days last week.

I went with her to the gym on Monday, Jiu Jitsu Tuesday, Jiu Jitsu tonight, and Jiu jitsu tomorrow.

I’m down to where I was at thanksgiving and she’s dropped 5 lbs in two weeks.

She’s also on weight watchers which manages our dinner decisions well.

Starting off to be an awesome year!

Now if I were just better at Jiu Jitsu.

God bless,

Brandon

TheNewbie
01-17-2018, 06:10 PM
I lost 6 pounds so far, and I weigh in again tonight. I leave Sunday for Mexico for a week, so I may be a little "fuller" next week.

Trukinjp13
01-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Lets keep this shit up guys!

TheNewbie
01-18-2018, 01:22 AM
I am so excited about the food in Mexico next week that there is no way I can win this month. Next month......next month.....

I lost 0.2 pounds over the past week though.

What I am really happy about is that I am eating less but my strength on dead lifts has increased.

Depmur
01-18-2018, 08:10 AM
I was at 207.6 this morning, a little over 3 pounds down. Not as bad as I thought with the flu and our extreme cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ragnar_d
01-19-2018, 09:29 AM
As of 8:30 this morning, I'm at 235.6 pounds. Gained just under a pound over the holidays . . . whoops.
Things seem to be moving in a better direction. Stepped on the scale this morning, 229.5 . . . I haven't been under 230 since my freshman-sophomore year of college.

On top of that, I'm now signed up to run a 5k with my company in 3 months. That should be interesting.

RJ
01-23-2018, 03:48 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/4d5e1a913eea943aca72f37fb0d5c62b.jpg

Crap I’m struggling with this for sure. We’re having the condo redone and there is a lot of disruption it’s hard to keep on track.

I’m sure I’ve not lost any weight. Anyway, sucks for me.

Back on topic, I believe it was suggested to start a new thread to compile the results, so without objection, in the next few days I’ll create that one.

I’ll also compile the top five members with the greatest percent weight loss, so they can be appropriately adulated. :cool:

Guerrero
01-23-2018, 03:52 PM
"Like" for the meme. If my crappy scale is correct, I'm down about 5.

Trukinjp13
01-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Almost there fellas. Anyone ready for a splurge meal???? I sure as hell am!

schüler
01-31-2018, 08:00 AM
Start/Finish

250.1lb/236.8lb

Chest @ nipple line 48.25"/47"

Max ordinate love handle @ 44"/42"

BobLoblaw
01-31-2018, 10:11 AM
I had lost 5 until this past couple days (restaurant week) so I ended up losing 2 lbs (1% of my previous weight). Damn it feels good to be thin.

RJ
01-31-2018, 12:24 PM
197.6 this morning.

199.2 this morning.

I didn’t so much fall off the wagon as I never found it.

Sigh.

We are having our Condo refinished from top to bottom so we’ve been eating out. Plus stress from some misc and unforeseen items resulting in cost growth. It will look good, but Lordy this is a monumental PITA.

Also, I know I said we’d start a new thread for the results but if y’all don’t mind just adding them here, I’d prefer that. I’m not near a convenient laptop often so it will be easier if we just continue to add the results in this thread.

I will still compute % weight losses, but it will be a week or two into Feb.

FPS
01-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Start 189
Today 188.2

Progress ;)

Guerrero
01-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Since starting, I've noticed these weird divots on either side of my torso about midway down.

I think it might be the bottom of my ribcage.

Also, below the divots are these weird bulges in the middle. They might be my abs, but I'm not sure; I haven't seen them in a while.

Gadfly
01-31-2018, 04:18 PM
I am late to the party/thread...

I got home from FLETC last week. I was sent by my agency as a TDY firearms instructor. Why is that important? Well, for four whole months, I had no wife, no kids, no family commitments... for 4 months! So, I worked out 6 days a week. Lots of treadmill and elliptical with some light weight lifting mixed in. Managed to drop close to 25lbs.

But I think the real key to success was the diet. I had no potatoes (mashed, baker, French fries) for that time. Damn little bread, perhaps once a week. Stopped drinking booze, and had one or two beers per month. Lots of eggs, chicken, and veggies.

The real thing I took from the trip was how often I eat due to social pressure. "oh, we are having Mexican dinner with your parents tonight"... "Oh, The grand kids are coming over, so I ordered a pizza"... "I made plans to meet the Millers after work on Friday at Chuy's"... When I had no friends or family around, I only ate when I was hungry, and I could just get up and leave when I was full. No need to sit around a bowl of chips and queso for an hour before my food arrived. No need to sit at the bar and have drinks waiting on that one late straggler for the dinner party. When I only ate when I was hungry, and I only ate grilled chicken stir fry and such... the pounds came off.

Now, I am back home. Have been out to dinner on social calls with family and friends 4 nights since last Wednesday. I can see how easy it will be to gain it all back.

The wife did buy us a nice HUGE Nordic track treadmill for Christmas. So I need to keep banging away on that thing.

Just read the thread an felt like throwing that out there...

JclInAtx
01-31-2018, 09:00 PM
Well, I was 157 at the start of the thread. I went down a couple pounds, then up a couple, then a few more. Now I'm down where I started at 157. I guess I should be happy I didn't gain more.

Visiting company has left, cedar season seems to be getting better, I'm back running daily, and I've almost finished all the Octoberfests and imperial stouts I bought this fall and winter. So the trend is in the right direction and the outlook is good.

Jared
02-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Started at 225.1, ended at 213.3, so lost 5.2% if my math is right. Not bad for a months work considering I've actually never tried eating to lose weight before.

ragnar_d
02-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Well, it was a rough start but turned out well in the end:
W1: 235.6
W2: 224.8
Delta: -10.8

Percentage Lost: 100*(224.8-235.5)/235.6 = -4.58%

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180201/5d10a997af636148b3fd2fcec1441799.jpg

Not going to be the winner, but I'm ecstatic with the results so far. From my wedding day in July 2014 (my heaviest weight ever, 295) to now I've dropped over 70 pounds (-23.8% loss to date). Now, I'm on track to do my first 5k at the end of April.

The only downside, none of my pants and belts fit . . . and I hate having to shop for clothes. But the upsides outweigh the irritation of shopping so I guess I can deal with it. :D

Corey
02-02-2018, 02:52 PM
I started at 185 lbs and am now at 183. Not much of a start but it is progress. My Dr. Pepper gut is holding steady so far at 40". Hopefully the planks I have been doing will start to show some results soon.

ragnar_d
02-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Almost there fellas. Anyone ready for a splurge meal???? I sure as hell am!

Finally got around to that today . . . I'll have to jog more in the morning, but it was worth it. It's been damn problematic to find two things down in south FL. Biscuits & Gravy and good barbecue.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/1a5083a62d7188bf5bf459beef4c2a09.jpg

Trukinjp13
02-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Finally got around to that today . . . I'll have to jog more in the morning, but it was worth it. It's been damn problematic to find two things down in south FL. Biscuits & Gravy and good barbecue.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/1a5083a62d7188bf5bf459beef4c2a09.jpg

Damn!!! That looks good! I have a couple racks of ribs cooking away.

ragnar_d
02-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Damn!!! That looks good! I have a couple racks of ribs cooking away.

Skillet with ham, bacon, sausage/chorizo, peppers, onions, and country potatoes, smothered with cheese and topped with an egg. I could eat that every damn day . . . and be right back to where I was 12 months ago!:eek:

Ribs sound pretty good though . . . I could go for a nice half rack of ribs, some slaw and a cold beer right now.

Trukinjp13
02-04-2018, 06:57 PM
Skillet with ham, bacon, sausage/chorizo, peppers, onions, and country potatoes, smothered with cheese and topped with an egg. I could eat that every damn day . . . and be right back to where I was 12 months ago!:eek:

Ribs sound pretty good though . . . I could go for a nice half rack of ribs, some slaw and a cold beer right now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/8f5eac888465516e65fc8fdf83c19f85.jpg

Light on accessories though [emoji24]

psalms144.1
11-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Three months in - down 27.4 pounds (nearly 12%). Had to go to the Doc yesterday because of low blood sugar - I'm now down from three oral Type II diabetes meds to one - and might be removed from that if my A1C holds...

schüler
11-20-2018, 04:36 PM
Three months in - down 27.4 pounds (nearly 12%). Had to go to the Doc yesterday because of low blood sugar - I'm now down from three oral Type II diabetes meds to one - and might be removed from that if my A1C holds...That's awesome! I hope others can add similar testaments of success.

I think I was 249 in February. I'm around 207 right now... a combination of God getting a hold of me and then starting a relationship with a woman I didn't know could exist...

I'm actively working out now but it was a rough 6 weeks during which I lost more than half of that.