PDA

View Full Version : Can for 300 BO

psalms144.1
12-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Hey, all. A buddy of mine is taking the plunge into 300 blackout, and wants to get a suppressor. He asked me for suggestions for cans across a breadth of prices. I know NOTHING about buying a suppressor - mine have always been issued. What's the environment look like for 300 cans?

Thanks!

HCM
12-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Hey, all. A buddy of mine is taking the plunge into 300 blackout, and wants to get a suppressor. He asked me for suggestions for cans across a breadth of prices. I know NOTHING about buying a suppressor - mine have always been issued. What's the environment look like for 300 cans?

Thanks!

Is your buddy LE / MIl ?

If so, Silencerco's Omega and Hybrid are great options and are available via the Speq program, basically a "blue label" program for suppressors.

I believe some other silencer manufacturers have followed suit including Gemtech's Guardian program.

I have an Omega and have been very happy with it, including use on a 9' AAC .300 BO upper.

GuanoLoco
12-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Liberty Mystic-X. Stupidly versatile, perfect first can, loving mine.

Clusterfrack
12-22-2017, 03:10 PM
If price is less of a concern, Thunderbeast cans are the best I've used.

I have an Omega. It's a good can, but the mount/caliber convertibility is a PIA. The modular mount comes off the can, leaving the mount on the gun, which requires the tool to remove.

I would avoid AAC, based on multiple issues I've seen with their mounts.

Mike C
12-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Love the Omega's I have, the Omega 9k is wicked small and isn't much louder with supers over the full sized Omega, it can also be run on a 9mm pistol. The Omega 9K is still pretty silly quiet with the .300 subs. I love the overall size of the 9K on my 9" barreled SBR's. If your buddy is looking at over all utility the Hybrid is good, you can shoot it on basically anything, rifles or pistols but you sacrifice size. The mounting system is good, another selling point about the 9K I forgot to mention is it could be pinned to a short barrel so all your buddy would need is one tax stamp.

nate89
12-22-2017, 05:55 PM
My opinion only:

I have several suppressors that fit on blackout, and I have tried many of the other commercial options at the suppressor demo days that I run through my work (FFL/SOT). I think you need to identify what priorities of performance you are looking at. For me, a 300 BLK is something that is shorter and lighter than a 5.56. For example, I have an 11.5" barreled 5.56 gun, so I need something that is shorter than that to be very useful. My 300 BLK is a 7.5" barrel. While the longer cans (sandman l, hybrid, etc.) are quieter (obviously), I ended up going with the omega 9k. Looking back if the Wolf from Dead Air had been available I would have gone with that instead. My priorities with the blackout was reducing weight and OAL. The 9k is also nice on my 9mm AR, and is much more suited for rifle use than a pistol can like the octane. While it isn't as quiet as some, it really is nice having a suppressed gun that does not feel front heavy at all. I just direct thread mine using the original harvester mounts that are flush fit as opposed to the normal pistol direct thread adapters that increase the length by about .5"

UNM1136
12-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Needs drive the gear train. A .308 can will run subs and supersonic loads, as well as be useable on any .308, 6.8, 6.5 or 5.56 rifles in the safe. A 9mm pistol can will suppress subsonics, but cannot handle any other rifle rounds. A .45 pistol can will handle .300 blackout subsonic and be useful any centerfire pistol cal below .45. Any time you buy versatilty you get a sweet spot for a given setup, and less performance anytime you shoot a smaller diameter or higher pressure round through it. My source for this info was my SOT, and you should consult with someone you trust before dropping your coin on a given setup.

pat

GuanoLoco
12-23-2017, 01:10 AM
Needs drive the gear train. A .308 can will run subs and supersonic loads, as well as be useable on any .308, 6.8, 6.5 or 5.56 rifles in the safe. A 9mm pistol can will suppress subsonics, but cannot handle any other rifle rounds. A .45 pistol can will handle .300 blackout subsonic and be useful any centerfire pistol cal below .45. Any time you buy versatilty you get a sweet spot for a given setup, and less performance anytime you shoot a smaller diameter or higher pressure round through it. My source for this info was my SOT, and you should consult with someone you trust before dropping your coin on a given setup.

pat

Beg to differ. The Liberty Mystic-X is a 9mm pistol can built on a rifle monocore. When I bought it, it was rated from everything from .22 rimfier (it is user serviceable) to 9mm to 300 AAC Blackout subsunic and supersonic to 223 - but not 308.

The newer models are now rated all the way to 300 WinMag, and there is a $375 upgrade to the older model that I will likely take advantage to get 308 support without having to buy a new can.

For me, with a first can, the versatility outweighs nuances of quietness and size that are possible with dedicated cans. That said, the Mystic-X is neither excessively long nor excessively heavy. I did have to but a number of adapters.

UNM1136
12-23-2017, 01:28 AM
Excellent! On a patrol officers salary, value is pretty high on my list. This can, as you present sounds ideal for much of what I have in the safe. When it is time to add to my kid's trust, I will need to do some more homework. I would rather buy adapters than cans. If I end up in canine, a good 5.56 can will be vital, but it wont work for most of the gun safe, only the patrol rifle.

pat

bravo7
12-23-2017, 02:05 AM
I run Sakers and have been very pleased with them.

GuanoLoco
12-23-2017, 11:34 AM
https://www.silencershop.com/liberty-mystic-x.html

http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/

Currently out of stock @ SilencerShop, unusual. I suspect the upgrade to support up to 300 WinMag boosted popularity.

mgobel
12-23-2017, 06:36 PM

Thanks!

Comparison between SIG SRD762TI-QD and Silencerco Omega

In the spirit of “get both”, I did. After shooting these for a few months I can subjectively compare the two.
SIG SRD762TI-QD/ Silencerco Omega
Attach SIG QD/ ASR
Brake SIG Single Chamber/ ASR Brake
Weight 16.7 oz/ 15.8 oz (using office postal scale)
300BLK Test 10.5 inch Noveske/ 8.5 inch Rainer UM
556 Test 11.5 inch Noveske SS/ 10.5 inch Noveske CL

300BLK Ammo
208 AMAX
150 GR Ozark Supersonic

223 Ammo
MSR 62 gr

Sound: The SIG was defiantly the quieter of the two particularly in 300 BLK Subsonic. The term “stupid quiet” applies here. The SIG was also noticeably more quiet with the 223.

POI Shift: The POI shift appeared to be negligible in the SIG and detectable in the Omega but not bad. However I was only shooting at 50 yards with Aimpoint T1’s so there was plenty of room for error. I have shot the SICO at 100 yards and there is a shift of a over an inch on other rifles

Weight: SICO was lighter by about an ounce

Length: I kept the Compensator on the Omega as I move it between 556, 300 BLK and 308. As such it was less than about .7 inches shorter than the SIG. If you go with a flat endcap, it is much shorter. When I have time, I will switch to the flat 556 endcap to see how things compare.

Muzzle brake: The SIG single chamber MB was very effective but had BIG TIME flash. The Silencerco brake was a little more effective and did not have as much flash. However, as both are SBR’s you would not want to stand next to either. The cool thing about the SIG is that timing the muzzle brake is a breeze as you do not need shims. Much easier than SICO.

Attachment: The SIG is much better. The SIG uses a morse taper on the brake so it a quick twist to hand tight. There is a “lock” that engages near the end of the twist. Fast and slick. The Suppressor does not back off with extended fire. I greatly prefer the SIG system.

The Omega uses the ASR attachment.

Other factoids: The SIG is fat and has a lot more volume than the Omega due to girth and construction (there is no outer tube). This probably accounts for the sound difference. The SIG has 13 baffles (!).

Conclusion: My 300 BLK SBR's and one 556 SBR will convert to SIG (one of which is my “PDW”). The Omega will remain on the 308 (where it excels) and the other 556 rifles. In 300 BLK there is no comparison

Both suppressors will serve you well. If you want quiet, a better fast attach mount whiile still light, SIG is superior. IF you want length flexibility, the SICO might be the better choice. YMMV

whomever
12-23-2017, 10:44 PM
I claim no broad expertise.

I have a Gemtech GMT-300 can that is specifically designed for 300BO. It's currently on sale at silencershop for a pretty good price. IIUC its claim to fame is max suppression of 300BO, but it's not rated for other calibers.

If you want a general 30 cal suppressor, I'm happy with my Sig 762Ti.

There are lots of nice 30 cal cans. My suspicion is that your friend will be happy with any 30 cal suppressor.

JM Campbell
12-24-2017, 08:32 AM

Thanks!

I’m in SA TX, I have Sico Omega and Specwar 7.62 cans if you and your buddy are in the area we can arrange a range day. Available hosts 11.5”-16”-18” 556, 9.5” 300blk and 18” 308. Shoot me a PM and I’m sure I can round up a few more host rifles with other local PF shooting buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hansohn Brothers
12-24-2017, 09:55 AM
https://www.silencershop.com/liberty-mystic-x.html

http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/

Currently out of stock @ SilencerShop, unusual. I suspect the upgrade to support up to 300 WinMag boosted popularity.

I have it in stock, latest version. https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=63

Use coupon code DANGERZONE for an additional 10% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

psalms144.1
12-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info so far - it's very helpful.

JM Campbell - thanks for the generous offer, but I'm in NYistan and my buddy is in IN - more's the pity!

JM Campbell
12-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info so far - it's very helpful.

JM Campbell - thanks for the generous offer, but I'm in NYistan and my buddy is in IN - more's the pity!

No worries, hopefully someone closer can reach out for some demo time on some suppressors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinson
12-27-2017, 11:55 AM
I use the SilencerCo Omega 30 with the ASR mount on my 300 BLK rifle. I've been totally happy with it.

Hansohn Brothers
12-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Dead Air Sandman-S, Rugged Razor or Micro30, SilencerCo Omega 300 or Thunder Beast Ultra 7. These are all solid performers with 300 BLK. Pick the mount and price point that fits your friend’s needs best. All the companies listed have top tier customer support.

Kyle Reese
12-30-2017, 07:05 PM
What about a Q Thunder Chicken?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hansohn Brothers
12-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Here’s a YouTube vid comparing some cans including the Qs.

https://youtu.be/B76CZQoDVEY