PDA

View Full Version : CZ P-07 Thoughts?

jstyer
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Hey Todd/Guys!

I've been a long time stalker of Pistol-Training and this is my first thread post.

I've been shooting pistols for quite some time, but am just now trying to decide what I want for a CC rig. I've been taking a hard look at the CZ P-07 and it seems to be a pretty sweet package... Ability to switch from DA/SA to thumb safety, nice thin grips, what appears to be a pretty dang low bore axis.

I just wanted to see if any of you guys have had any experience with the firearm, and what ya'lls thoughts are.

The biggest downer seems to be the limited amount of accesories available vs something from Glock, SW, HK... But it's hard to beat the price point for what seems to be a pretty well put together pistol!

Any thoughts?

WDW
01-27-2012, 12:12 AM
The problem with CZ is that although it is technically a NATO gun, it is not really used per se. Many confuse issued with used. You will be at the mercy of extremely limited aftermarket support in terms of parts, sights, and holsters. There is also a varying degree of quality amongst CZ pistols. Some seem smooth as butter and others feel like they are full of sand. The triggers are usually abissmal. If you like DA/SA, you should look at a 229 w/SRT installed. If you must have the DA/SA w/manual safety look at the USP/P30 guns from HK. Todd wrote a pretty good piece about CZ a while back on PT.com and apparently they have not performed well in his classes. Coming from someone who teaches and shoots as much as him, I would be inclined to heed his advice. I want to like CZ, they have some great concepts and there have been great executions. But they are too sporadic and the quality and consistency just isn't there. Alot of people refer to Jeff Cooper when he said the CZ-75 is one of the best choices there is for a pistol....well, that was because back then, there was like only 3 or 4 choices besides wheel guns.

jmjames
01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
I can't speak to the CZ P-07 directly, but I've shot a few CZ's and derivatives lightly. My brief thoughts:

* I like the grip and how it sits in the hands. Very similar to a 1911 in terms of angle.
* Lots of room to get the proper grip on it without getting your hands caught up on controls.
* The ones I shot had the metal frames, and they managed recoil very well... a CZ75 vs. my P30, the CZ had much less recoil. I attribute the frame, so the P-07 will be a different story.
* Accurate and easy to shoot well.
* The slide mounted control lever is not well positioned *for me*.
* The biggest problem was the slide size, being so short, an overhand rack was hard because my fingers would catch the frame so I needed to use more of my palms. "Slingshot" wasn't easy because of the slide mounted control lever. If I ran one, I'd stick with slide lock release, and I'd hate to have to TRP it in the middle of a fight.
* I haven't put enough rounds through them to declare them "trouble free" personally, but I have a friend who has put thousands of rounds through his CZ75 without issue. That's just one data point so it's not the be-all-and-end-all, of course.

Those are my impressions... you'll probably want to pay really close attention to what 10mm4me said about folks having issues. I think that from my experience, the difficulties in slide manipulations are a big concern. That said... I would LOVE to have one as a range gun. "First time touching it" I shot much better than I did with any other pistol I've shot other than a tricked out Glock 17.

J.Ja

GOP
01-27-2012, 02:38 AM
I have a CZ 75 SP01 that I am starting on Monday night as my official competition gun. I absolutely love it. I have 2,100 rounds through it and many hours of dry fire on it, and so far it is has ran flawlessly. The accuracy is unbelievable compared to most platforms (I have a G19, a M&P40, and a Sig P226 and this gun groups much better). I changed a couple of springs and now my trigger is pretty unbelievable. Reloads are faster than with most other platforms due to the mag well, and as a lefty, the mag release is large and easy for me to operate. The grip feels just like a 1911 to me, which I found extremely comfortable. The small slide is somewhat of a drawback for the sling-shot method for example but with enough training it is never an issue for me. The MAJOR negative for CZ products is their lack of holsters, sights, etc. I had to order from their custom shop to get any of those in. I don't CCW my SP01 because of it's size, but I liked the platform so much (despite the accessory drawbacks) that I bought a CZ 75 Compact for CCW (primarily since I have so many training hours on the system). My opinion is that unless you have a ton of hours on the set up and it is strictly a carry gun, I'd go another route. I think there are better options, such as Sig (which I also like a lot) and H&K.

digiadaamore
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
* The biggest problem was the slide size, being so short, an overhand rack was hard because my fingers would catch the frame so I needed to use more of my palms. "Slingshot" wasn't easy because of the slide mounted control lever. If I ran one, I'd stick with slide lock release, and I'd hate to have to TRP it in the middle of a fight.
same reason here, i wanted a p01 forever but i just couldnt get over the short slide.i felt it would be a huge disadvantage in a real fight. i could could barely grab it as is, let alone muddy or bloody:eek:

jstyer
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Thank you guys so much for the quick responses! My few other forum experiences seem to be an exercise in the zen art of patience.

If anyone has a link to that post todd did a while back that would be awesome.

It's funny about the short slide. I work at a major firearms retailer and the first dozen or so times I handled the P-07 I totally agreed. That little slide just seemed really tough to grab in a hurry. However, lately I've absolutely had no problems manipulating the slide on it. I'm not sure if I'm doing something different, or perhaps I'm just applying more pressure to the top of the slide... But I just seem to be able to rack it much better now.

In spite of the fact that I've never had an unintentional discharge (knock on wood) out of the 10,000+ rounds I've fired through striker fired pistols, I just keep having a tingly feeling about carrying a striker fired gun in the appendix position. That being said I may still just end up going with the G19. Mainly due to sight/holster availability and such. Obviously the P30 solves alot of these concerns, but frankly I just don't have the shekels.

In hopefully not too big of a subject jump, how do you guys feel about G19 vs. P-07?

JDM
01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
If anyone has a link to that post todd did a while back that would be awesome.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3218

tremiles
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm a huge CZ fan, own and have thousands of rounds down a SP01, but G19 hands down vs. P07. Long track record of reliability (mostly), huge aftermarket support, and if you don't like it you'll be able to make most of your money back.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

guymontag
01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
I own a CZ-75B, I cannot speak for the CZ P-07.

Stephen Camp's CZ article led me to the purchase. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my 75B; it is easy to shoot, comfortable, accurate, and reliable to my standards.* If I were to acquire a more compact CZ, I'd consider the PCR and P-01 over the P-07. I'd suggest a Glock over all of them for the reasons tremiles listed.

*My CZ and reliability:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?280-A-different-take-on-reliability-Guns-you-ve-personally-seen-fail&p=31462&viewfull=1#post31462

jlw
01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I handled a used P-07 in a LGS a while back, and I very much liked feel and the trigger. The drawback as others have said the is the lack of aftermarket support.

TGS
01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
I haven't had any experience with the P-07, however I did own an SPO1 Phantom.

I sold it after 450 rounds.

Like some have mentioned, the quality varies. My CZ had machine marks out the wazoo....and not just regular old machine marks. It looked like it was machined by a VoTech student, with marks going all over the place, not just "with the grain," I guess you could say.

The polymer frame was so flimsy that you could change the shape from square to rhombus by squeezing it when the mag wasn't in. For real, I'm not kidding. That's ridiculous.

It ran fine for those 450 rounds, but the quality really concerned me.

Forget being able to get a grip on the slide. The baked-on polymer finish is ULTRA slick if wet.....essentially, I felt as if I was unable to actually ever degrease the thing from the factory....

The trigger was so so. It wasn't as bad as an FNX I owned, it felt pretty much the same as a brand new HK DA/SA. It would probably have cleaned up a bit with round count.

The mag release was way too big.....I had a ton of unintentional mag releases with it. Something to think about if the P-07 has a similar mag release.

jmjames
01-28-2012, 12:35 AM
My CZ had machine marks out the wazoo....and not just regular old machine marks. It looked like it was machined by a VoTech student, with marks going all over the place, not just "with the grain," I guess you could say.

My wife's Jericho, though, looks like it was crafted by someone with a half ton of Flitz to dispose of, it is super-slick on the parts. The stuff inside that I handled as as sharp as the C&S sear I dropped into my 1911, the surfaces (even the ones that "don't matter") were smooth as silk, and the fit of the parts was impeccable. The finish on the frame is very nice too. I was actually VERY impressed, particularly for the price point. The one knock on it was that the adjustable sights were slightly off from the factory, 10 seconds with a punch and hammer and that problem was solved... best part? The gun shop had sold it to someone else who put less than a mag through it before she noticed the sights, they graciously let her return it for store credit, they sold it to me for $25 off for being "used" and another $20 off as credit to go get the sights fixed. I couldn't accept that extra $20 off though since the fix was so easy, but they grudgingly took the $20. Good folks to do business with. :)

Even with the poor aftermarket, I still found everything I could want for it. Holsters (IWB and OWB) from Zahal, mags from CDNN at very nice prices. Even though it's a goofball gun here in the US, Israel's use of them means that there is an aftermarket for them.

J.Ja

Serpico1985
04-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Wanted to bump this thread and see if opinions have changed about the CZ P-07. Mike Pannone has over 17K through one and speaks very highly of its attributes.

CZ P-07 Duty: The Best Pistol Nobody Knows About (http://shootersmagazine.com/cz-p-07-duty-the-best-pistol-nobody-knows-about/)

Considering getting one to try out.

Wheeler
04-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Wanted to bump this thread and see if opinions have changed about the CZ P-07. Mike Pannone has over 17K through one and speaks very highly of its attributes.

CZ P-07 Duty: The Best Pistol Nobody Knows About (http://shootersmagazine.com/cz-p-07-duty-the-best-pistol-nobody-knows-about/)

Considering getting one to try out.

I started to break mine in the hard way. I shot an IDPA match with it last weekend cold, as in no practice with it other than some dryfire. I ran a 130 round mix of Wolf and Tula ammo 115 grain ball, steel cased ammo with no problems whatsoever.

Today I shot my first ever Steel Challenge match. My personal goal was to get a good hit on every single first shot. Once again I ran a mix of Tula and Wolf with no issues. For the last stage (in the video below) I ran some Federal 147 grain ball. The crappy drawstroke is due in part to a Kydex IWB I adapted to fit the gun until I can decide on a holster maker to wait on to build me a holster setup for a WML.

Bottom line: It's growing on me quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgE5Iv4eaU&feature=em-upload_owner

Gary1911A1
04-14-2014, 04:54 AM
I like CZs' and have read so many good reports on this pistol I ordered a 2014 Model with the interchangeable grip inserts, better finish and reportedly better trigger almost two weeks ago. My Dealer is having trouble finding a 2014 Model, but seems to be plenty of 2013 Models out there. Already have a leather pancake type thumb break holster for it and a Bladetech for competition on order. Midway has magazines for it although at almost HK prices. Hoping the decocker doesn't interfere with my thumbs like the decocker on the metal frame CZs'. I'll post a range report when I get it.

Kyle Reese
04-14-2014, 07:25 AM
I've got the Cajun Gun Works P-07 / P-09 hammer kit and 97910 DA upgrade kit en route. Will post impressions when installed.

Serpico1985
04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Look forward to hearing your impressions Fred and Gary.

1986s4
04-14-2014, 07:38 AM
I am half way through a 2000 round challenge with my 2013 model. My only modification is the addition of CZ night sights. It is very accurate with all loads tried, especially my reloads which is nice. It is not a fussy gun that way. One FTE when doing a drill. One charges the gun and removes the mag. Fire one then follow up and watch sights. I do this drill almost every time I take it out and this is the only stoppage.
DA pull is short and feels light and has gotten smoother with use. Overall I like it.

Serpico1985
04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The updated 2014 model looks real solid. They fixed the few gripes I had about the previous model. Keep the info coming.

Matt O
04-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I've got the Cajun Gun Works P-07 / P-09 hammer kit and 97910 DA upgrade kit en route. Will post impressions when installed.

In a moment of weakness, I ordered a 2014 model P-07. I've got the hammer kit and DA upgrade here and am just waiting to pick up the pistol. I'm eager to see how the omega system feels and compare it with my SP-01's.

Kyle Reese
04-14-2014, 03:37 PM
In a moment of weakness, I ordered a 2014 model P-07. I've got the hammer kit and DA upgrade here and am just waiting to pick up the pistol. I'm eager to see how the omega system feels and compare it with my SP-01's.

Serpico1985
04-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Got a JM custom AIWB coming for the P07. Gonna go to a LGS and see if I can talk them down from $509 to $450 for the new model. I honestly wouldn't have considered the 07 were it not for Pannone's enthusiastic review.

TheNewbie
04-14-2014, 05:48 PM
How can you tell if one is an updated 2014 model? Thinking of getting one on Buds.

Gary1911A1
04-14-2014, 07:46 PM
How can you tell if one is an updated 2014 model? Thinking of getting one on Buds.

Two features that can be seen are the 2014 Model has interchangeable grip inserts. You can see the seams on the backstrap. The other feature is front cocking serattions on the front of the slide on the 2014 Model the 2013 doesn't have. Here is a link to on that Buds has wit the three interchangeable grip inserts and front cocking serrations:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/91638

Serpico1985
04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Can anyone advise the stats on the factory sights for the 07 like:

1) width of front sight, width of rear notch.

2) zero for the 07 at 25 yards.

3) are their different height front sights available to change zeor if so desired.

matman
04-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about some of aftermarket target sight options for the P-07? Id ideally like to get something resembling the Warren's with a tritium dot front and black serrated rear.

Any updates on the Parts from CGW installed on the P-07? I have a slick SP-01 Shaddow and just picked up a P-07 to carry. The triggers/action are NIGHT and day different. That said the SP-01 Shaddow has about 9K rounds through it though.

Matt O
04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
The answer to #3 is a definite yes. Dawson has fiber optic sights at different heights and CZ-USA/CZ-Custom have a range of different sights - black, fiber and tritium. The key difference is, Dawson measures their sights from the top of the dovetail to the top of the sight whereas CZ measures the entire height of the sight, including the dovetail. I think CZ sights are also numbered, so you would buy an alternate number sight depending on what impact you desire.

I'm also curious as to the answers to your first two questions. I should be able to get out to pick up my P-07 by Saturday at the latest so I'll measure dimensions of the stock sight set up then if no one else has chimed in with more info. I believe the 2014 P-07's come with steel 3 dot (non-tritium) sights, but I'm not positive on that. It seems that previous versions came with plastic sights.

EPF
04-17-2014, 12:11 PM
I believe the 2014 P-07's come with steel 3 dot (non-tritium) sights, but I'm not positive on that. .

That is what my 2104 came with. I'm looking forward to better options coming to market.

Serpico1985
04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
New version has following upgrades/differences:

1) front cocking serrations
2) slide finish melonite/nitrocarbonizing vs older finish
3) minus "duty" moniker from slide
4) stock factory sights are steel 3 dot with super luminova type paint vs old plastic glock style
5) frame has 3 interchangeable back straps vs none on old
6) minus the lanyard loop
7) new different flatter trigger vs old curved trigger
8) new squared style hammer vs old ring style hammer
9) new 07's ship with 2 15 round mags vs older guns shipping with 16 round mags (9mm)

Couldn't resist and bought one from Lanbo's armory and a extra 16 round mag for $507 shipped.

I'll black out the rear dots and run the stock sights to confirm I like the gun before getting better sights. Also had a JM custom AIWB in the pipe line and changed the model to the 07. Obviously I'll post feed back on it.

Matt O
04-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Can anyone advise the stats on the factory sights for the 07 like:

1) width of front sight, width of rear notch.

2) zero for the 07 at 25 yards.

3) are their different height front sights available to change zeor if so desired.

Just picked up my P-07 today and switched out the hammer and firing pin with CGW parts. The trigger is heavier and not quite as smooth as my SP-01 so it'll take a little getting used to.

The stock steel sights are .120 front and .120 rear notch so the sight picture is a bit crowded as you can imagine. The sights would actually be a lot more usable if the rear notch was widened to .140-.150. Haven't shot it yet so I don't know where it prints at 25 yards.

Serpico1985
04-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Good info MattO. Thanks for doing that. I'm gonna contact a few people on other forums who have the tactical and competition rear sights (CZ brand) and see if they can measure the rear notch for width. I imagine it would be the same notch size you listed at .120" which is a non starter for me.

FYI Dawson makes a competition rear for the P09 (so it should work for P07) and is available in .125", .135' and .140" notches.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001723-1388518374

JTPHD
04-22-2014, 04:53 PM
After reading a few threads here about the P-07, I jumped at the chance last night when the guy in the lane next to me offered to let me shoot his P-07. I've shot a G19 for 5 years, and can shoot 2-3" at 25 yards, but the P-07 on the first magazine was simply easier to shoot well. In fact, I shot it better than my 19 in terms of slow fire accuracy. Being someone with very small hands, I'm seriously considering the CZ now just because it takes less effort to get a higher level of performance.

Wheeler
04-22-2014, 05:55 PM
After reading a few threads here about the P-07, I jumped at the chance last night when the guy in the lane next to me offered to let me shoot his P-07. I've shot a G19 for 5 years, and can shoot 2-3" at 25 yards, but the P-07 on the first magazine was simply easier to shoot well. In fact, I shot it better than my 19 in terms of slow fire accuracy. Being someone with very small hands, I'm seriously considering the CZ now just because it takes less effort to get a higher level of performance.

A friend of mine traded an unfired P09 for a P07 and ran 300 rounds through it this past weekend. He is very pleased with it so far.

Matt O
04-22-2014, 07:30 PM
All I've done with my P-07 is dry fire so far, so my observations are pretty limited. That said, the stock RSA seems excessively heavy and absolutely overkill. Interestingly, it appears to be almost identical in size to a G19 RSA, which also fits in the P-07 just fine and is much more reasonable in terms of spring weight. I'll test it out in live fire this weekend hopefully.

EPF
04-22-2014, 07:47 PM
All I've done with my P-07 is dry fire so far, so my observations are pretty limited. That said, the stock RSA seems excessively heavy and absolutely overkill. Interestingly, it appears to be almost identical in size to a G19 RSA, which also fits in the P-07 just fine and is much more reasonable in terms of spring weight. I'll test it out in live fire this weekend hopefully.

How does one judge "absolutely overkill" and "more reasonable" in recoil spring strength outside of function? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

Matt O
04-22-2014, 08:30 PM
How does one judge "absolutely overkill" and "more reasonable" in recoil spring strength outside of function? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

Sure, that's a fair question. I suppose I didn't really give any frame of reference.

The stock RSA is an extraordinarily heavy, and in my opinion unnecessary, spring. I'm not a small individual at 6'2" 220#, but manipulation of the slide requires what I consider to be an unnecessary amount of force. My frame of reference in making this statement is: glocks, steel framed cz's, sigs, etc. Putting a stock 18# G19 RSA in made the pistol noticeably easier to work with.

I'm going to try out the G19 RSA and may consider looking at a non captured guide rod option so I can experiment with the 13-15# spring weight range.

Wheeler
04-22-2014, 08:51 PM
I was chalking that up to bing a brand new gun and stiff. That being said I've found it difficult to do my typical press check before dry-fire. I can't place my support hand under the frame, grab the slide with my thumb and middle finger and push back doesn't work. I either have to grab overhand or right behind the muzzle. I'm hoping this will loosen up after a few hundred more rounds.

EPF
04-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Sure.
Thanks, I understand why you'd want to experiment.

I'm still under 1K rounds on my example, and while the spring is less stiff, it's still stout. I'm wondering if the spring accounts for the subjectively light recoil impulse. My totally unscientific observation is that the P07 shoots significantly flatter with less felt recoil than the G19s I've primarily trained with for the last five years. I tried to record some split times during my last range trip but could not get the timer to register with a packed indoor range. Hopefully I can get there during a slower day this week.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.

1986s4
04-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks, I understand why you'd want to experiment.

I'm still under 1K rounds on my example, and while the spring is less stiff, it's still stout. I'm wondering if the spring accounts for the subjectively light recoil impulse. My totally unscientific observation is that the P07 shoots significantly flatter with less felt recoil than the G19s I've primarily trained with for the last five years. I tried to record some split times during my last range trip but could not get the timer to register with a packed indoor range. Hopefully I can get there during a slower day this week.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.

My P-07 shoots flat for me too. Sometimes I can notice the slide cycling when using low recoil competition ammo. It ejects forcefully even with low power ammo and the mags jump from the grip. No wiggling or necessity to hold down the mag release.

Serpico1985
04-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Picked up my 2014 P07 tonight. Going to shot it tomorrow. Initial impressions are good.

Observations:

1) gun is very grippy, especially on the front strap. Don't think it'll need any further stippling.
2) after blacking out the rear sight the sights are useable until I pick out better ones.
3) the double action trigger is heavy, gritty and "stagey". Different than the few I handled in stores.
4) the single action trigger has a light take-up and a somewhat spongy break. I actually like this as for me it makes it easier for me to not anticipate the shot vs the "hitting a wall" before the break. The trigger was also very light weight, almost too light.
5) because the DA was so bad I threw the safety on instead of the decocker and the manual safety works quite well.
6) the manual is horrible. For instance it says to take it to a gunsmith to change out the decocker/safety. There is one picture in the entire book. Not a big deal since YouTube exists.

I'll try some Cajun Gunworks trigger parts for sure. I would prefer to carry it DA/SA vs cocked and locked. Can anyone advise if the CGW trigger options affect the single action trigger? Because if it makes it any lighter it would be a no go for carry for me.

Thanks

TheNewbie
04-25-2014, 01:23 AM
Picked up a pre 2014 model today.

I was planning to get a 9mm 1911 to work with, but the LGS had a new P07 for $409.00.

Went to the range and fired just 25 rounds, but I was shooting it as well the 9mm 1911 I had tried out. The DA pull does not seem long at all and is smooth. My hands are on the small size, and the decocker seems to be in the perfect location for deocking as I come off target without much interference in my grip. This was not the case with the P226.

TheNewbie
04-25-2014, 02:36 AM
Does anyone make a duty style holster for the P07 besides Balde Tech?

Matt O
04-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Can anyone advise if the CGW trigger options affect the single action trigger? Because if it makes it any lighter it would be a no go for carry for me.

Thanks

One of CGW's P-series kits, I believe it's the hammer upgrade, includes an extra strength sear spring that increases the SA weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serpico1985
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Made it to the indoor range this morning. Gun handled very well. Recoil was mild to say the least. I did multiple 1 reload 1 drills to see if my grip would cause slide lock failure (which it does on almost every gun I shot). Got %100 slide locks. Although I didn't initially like the look of the slide release or the safety (they look like they belong on a kids Tonka truck), the worked very well.

http://i57.tinypic.com/10fqaea.jpg

Then I proceeded to shoot the best 5 shot 25 yard group I've ever shot with any gun with the P07, at an indoor range, with crummy sights and poor lighting and 115gr Winchester white box. To be fair I should attribute some of this to the honeymoon phase we experience with new guns. I caught myself with a mid-range focus instead of a hard front sight focus on the 4th shot which is where I assume the high flyer came from. The shots marked with sharpie where the first 5, the unmarked shots the second 5 and better group. The box is a six in square. Point of aim was holding the top edge of the front sight on the bottom line of the square.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lypnb.jpg

Now that I know this gun rocks I will be investing in sights and some lock-work parts from CGW.

GJM
04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Expensive thread

Gary1911A1
04-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Yes, it is expensive. I'm spending $875 including shipping for a P-09 with their complete package from Cajan Gun Works. Then there's a Bladetech, extra mags and a fee from my FFL. I'm sure I'll have over a $1,000 in it.:D

GJM
04-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes, it is expensive. I'm spending $875 including shipping for a P-09 with their complete package from Cajan Gun Works. Then there's a Bladetech, extra mags and a fee from my FFL. I'm sure I'll have over a $1,000 in it.:D

I got the same P09 package and is waiting for me at the FFL.

littlejerry
04-25-2014, 01:04 PM
I got the same P09 package and is waiting for me at the FFL.

If it were not for the hammer that could make for a great USPSA production setup. Could still be fun in limited with 19rd mags.

I'm eying the P07 package myself.

Wheeler
04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
If it were not for the hammer that could make for a great USPSA production setup. Could still be fun in limited with 19rd mags.

Not being a USPSA shooter of any great note, what does the hammer have to do with making it a good setup or not?

Matt O
04-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Not being a USPSA shooter of any great note, what does the hammer have to do with making it a good setup or not?

The CGW hammer is not a CZ OEM part, so it's not allowable in USPSA production.

Wheeler
04-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Aha! Thanks!

Gary1911A1
04-26-2014, 03:06 PM

At almost 62 I shoot for fun anymore and will compete in Limited. I'll even shoot it DA/SA. I'm hope CZ will offer a competition model like they did with the Shadow that will make the CGW Hammer legal in the future.

Serpico1985
05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Dawson .140 rear with stock front sight:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nlg0gi.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2e6fqsx.jpg

My stock rear sight was .115". Compared to the new Dawson:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2vjyccm.jpg

I really like this combo. I ordered a CZ factory tritium front that I am hoping is the exact same size as the stock front. I'll be sending back my CGW sights when I get them.

Wheeler
05-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Dawson .140 rear with stock front sight:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nlg0gi.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2e6fqsx.jpg

My stock rear sight was .115". Compared to the new Dawson:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2vjyccm.jpg

I really like this combo. I ordered a CZ factory tritium front that I am hoping is the exact same size as the stock front. I'll be sending back my CGW sights when I get them.

Which CGW sights did you order?

Serpico1985
05-01-2014, 02:21 PM
The fiber optic set. Don't have them yet. I didn't know that there were tritium sight available other than mepro's which I don't like. So I ordered the CGW set. Then realized that you could order just a tritium cz factory front (should be .120") and a Dawson .140" rear which should be a acceptable set up for carry.

Wheeler
05-01-2014, 02:41 PM
The fiber optic set. Don't have them yet. I didn't know that there were tritium sight available other than mepro's which I don't like. So I ordered the CGW set. Then realized that you could order just a tritium cz factory front (should be .120") and a Dawson .140" rear which should be a acceptable set up for carry.

Thanks. I was looking at the Mepros myself. Out of curiosity, what don't you like about them?

Serpico1985
05-01-2014, 03:10 PM
I've only been able to find one post about them on the internet and they didn't impress me. I don't like 3 dot sights and prefer straight eight or plain black rears with tritium fronts. Also if I had to guess I'd say that the mepro's probably have the same size width front sight as the rear notch. I much prefer at least .020"-.025" difference to make for a faster sight picture.

Matt O
05-01-2014, 03:14 PM
The fiber optic set. Don't have them yet. I didn't know that there were tritium sight available other than mepro's which I don't like. So I ordered the CGW set. Then realized that you could order just a tritium cz factory front (should be .120") and a Dawson .140" rear which should be a acceptable set up for carry

Interesting, I had only seen the night sights offered as a set on CZ-USA's website. I wasn't aware you could purchase just the front sight.

Serpico1985
05-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Hope I got the right height to match factory front.

http://czcustom.com/cztritiumfrontsight60mm.aspx

They also offer two more sizes:

http://czcustom.com/cztritiumfrontsight65mm.aspx

http://czcustom.com/cztritiumfrontsight55mm.aspx

Says it fits all cz's with front to back dovetail.

GJM
05-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Stuart at CZ Custom told me earlier this week the tritium front sight came as part of a set, available in three sizes.

Matt O
05-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Hmm, though I haven't taken my P-07 front sight off, it appears to be held in with a set screw through one end of the dovetail base.

The sights you are linking to are (I believe) for the bushing based slides, e.g. CZ 75, SP-01. These sight aren't made for a set screw and once fully drifted in, are meant to be drilled side-to-side for a front sight pin (that also holds the bushing in place).

Serpico1985
05-01-2014, 04:05 PM
You are right about the set screw:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2mwz7k2.jpg

However, and maybe I'm just hoping against reason here, A member on M4C posted a picture of the CGW fiber optic sights. I asked how the front sight was retained in the slide and he stated only friction and loctite (no set screw). So maybe if the dovetail is cut the same in the 07 as the one I bought the friction fit would be snug enough to hold it. I don't know. Now I'm loosing hope.

Call me crazy but I'm not thrilled about PLASTIC tritium sights from CZ. Just seems lazy.

If by some miracle it works, and if it doesn't, I'll let everyone know.

ETA:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?149986-CZ-P-07&p=1899430#post1899430

GJM
05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
CZ Custom has P07/09 sights in the final stages.

Serpico1985
05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Any details on timeframe GJM? Any other info on them?

Thanks

GJM
05-01-2014, 06:32 PM
They thought in the next month.

Wheeler
05-01-2014, 06:41 PM
CZ Custom has P07/09 sights in the final stages.

All metal except for the light up bits I presume?

GJM
05-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I just emailed Stuart at CZ Custom for an update.

guymontag
05-02-2014, 08:58 AM
A member on M4C posted a picture of the CGW fiber optic sights. I asked how the front sight was retained in the slide and he stated only friction and loctite (no set screw).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9je5LKuUtEw/UMnrvNkn4YI/AAAAAAAACSo/PYo1lE8KOno/s1600/jackie-1.jpg

I thought CGW fiber fronts, are manufactured by Dawson Precision? I would not have thought Dawson would create a product for that sight cut without a secondary form of retention...

On another note - Serpico, how deep is the rear notch on the CGW/Dawson rear sight?

matt7184
05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9je5LKuUtEw/UMnrvNkn4YI/AAAAAAAACSo/PYo1lE8KOno/s1600/jackie-1.jpg

I thought CGW fiber fronts, are manufactured by Dawson Precision? I would not have thought Dawson would create a product for that sight cut without a secondary form of retention...

On another note - Serpico, how deep is the rear notch on the CGW/Dawson rear sight?

The Dawson Front sights use a set screw for the P-Series. The information on the other site is wrong.

Wheeler
05-02-2014, 11:57 AM
The Dawson Front sights use a set screw for the P-Series. The information on the other site is wrong.

...or perhaps that's just how the member of the other forum attached his and misinterpreted the intent of the question. Regardless, it's good to know there's a set screw involved.

I had just about convinced myself to drop the hammer on the Mepro's but think I'll wait to see what the set from CZ custom look like.

matt7184
05-02-2014, 12:36 PM
...or perhaps that's just how the member of the other forum attached his and misinterpreted the intent of the question. Regardless, it's good to know there's a set screw involved.

I had just about convinced myself to drop the hammer on the Mepro's but think I'll wait to see what the set from CZ custom look like.

He was pretty clear with the no set screw...

Regardless, the Dawson fronts do come with a set screw. Some of the fronts may still need to be fit into the dovetail.

Wheeler
05-02-2014, 04:01 PM
He was pretty clear with the no set screw...

Regardless, the Dawson fronts do come with a set screw. Some of the fronts may still need to be fit into the dovetail.

Gotcha. I wasn't being contentious. I was wondering out loud...well, sort of, in a typing sort of way...

:-)

Serpico1985
05-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Ok. I’m either stupid and lucky or a evil genius…….definitely stupid and lucky. I got the factory CZ steel tritium front today as well as the CGW FO sight set (which are made by Dawson). Here is the info for the CZ steel tritium front sights:

http://czcustom.com/cztritiumfrontsight60mm.aspx

http://czcustom.com/cztritiumfrontsight65mm.aspx

http://czcustom.com/cztritiumfrontsight55mm.aspx

*****The above steel tritium front sights are not made for the P07*****

I now know this. But it fit with a moderate amount of filling in the same manner to fit rear sights. This tritium sight I received was very slightly taller than the factory front (factory front was shooting 2” high at 25 yards, should be very close to POA/POI now) and the same width. Obviously there is no set screw but as snug as it is fit I seriously doubt it’s going anywhere. I bought this before knowing that CZ is working on better tritium sights for the P series.

I put the CGW front sight on before this one. It tapped in with a slight amount of resistance and had a captured set screw for further lock down. I’ll be selling this sight set “used” on M4C if anyone is interested. The rear sight was untouched.

So I’m impatient and stupid and lucky in this case, that is if the front sight doesn’t fall off at my first range session.

Also I installed the CGW extended firing pin, lighter firing pin block spring and both the “blue” and “yellow” main/hammer springs. The DA trigger got somewhat better but is still stagey and not smooth at all. SA got lighter and lighter with each spring. The extra power sear spring may be good to have just in case.

Compared 1:
http://i62.tinypic.com/eqwnz9.jpg

Compared 2:
http://i62.tinypic.com/2uh4gwp.jpg

Fitting, half way there:
http://i62.tinypic.com/2cfb0bc.jpg

Fitting:
http://i61.tinypic.com/rm1ca8.jpg

Done:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2my0kqx.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2pyujj4.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/21afq5y.jpg

revchuck
05-02-2014, 07:16 PM
It looks like it was made for it. :) I'd be paranoid, though, because the direction in which the slide accelerates when the pistol is fired is the same direction in which the sight is removed. Maybe some red loctite?

Matt O
05-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Given how much heat there is at the muzzle during an average practice session, I don't think I'd trust any loctite to hold the front sight in place.

Serpico1985
05-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I could be wrong but I don't believe I am. I really don't think the front sight is going anywhere. It's in there pretty darn snug. If it does I'll just buy a new set of CZ night sights when they come out.

Serpico1985
05-03-2014, 11:28 PM
FYI for anyone interested I put another 75 rounds through the gun today with new tritium front sight. It shoots POA/POI at 25 yards now. There was ZERO movement of the front sight. Won't know it's GTG for sure until I get some more rounds through it and get the gun hotter, but if I were a beting man I wager it's not going anywhere without the assitance of a gunsmith hammer and punch.

revchuck
05-04-2014, 01:44 AM
FYI for anyone interested I put another 75 rounds through the gun today with new tritium front sight. It shoots POA/POI at 25 yards now. There was ZERO movement of the front sight. Won't know it's GTG for sure until I get some more rounds through it and get the gun hotter, but if I were a beting man I wager it's not going anywhere without the assitance of a gunsmith hammer and punch.
Cool!

Wheeler
05-04-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm very disappointed in the sights. Not so much that they are plastic, but that they are cheap plastic and fray around the edges. I have enough issues dealing with visual clutter without having it on my sights.

Matt O
05-04-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm very disappointed in the sights. Not so much that they are plastic, but that they are cheap plastic and fray around the edges. I have enough issues dealing with visual clutter without having it on my sights.

I would recommend noting the # on your front sight and ordering a steel version from CZ (if you are comfortable with current poa/poi) as well as a Dawson rear sight. Alternatively, if you want to switch to a fiber optic, you could just get a dawson or CZ Custom set from the start.

Wheeler
05-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I would recommend noting the # on your front sight and ordering a steel version from CZ (if you are comfortable with current poa/poi) as well as a Dawson rear sight. Alternatively, if you want to switch to a fiber optic, you could just get a dawson or CZ Custom set from the start.

I will most definitely be replacing the sights as the budget allows. Just for clarification, my above comment was somewhat rhetorical in nature. While I like the pistol for the most part, I still find myself mildly offended when manufacturers build a nice gun and then stick crap parts on it like cheap sights or the like. My BDM has a plastic rear sight that has held up quite well and it's a 30+ year old gun. I don't know why this still bothers me as every gun I own has something on it that could benefit from an upgrade...

chiral
05-04-2014, 03:47 PM
To be fair cz did address this in the 2014 revision of the p07. Steel sights are really nice on it now.

98z28
12-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Brining this thread back from the dead again. I've got an itch to experiment and a CGW P-07 is top of the list of things to try. There have been several threads, including this one, where folks like Gary1911A1, GJM, and FredM said they ordered CZs and would post shooting impressions, but I haven't seen a lot of follow up. What did you guys think about your worked over P-07/09s? Anyone still shooting one? Any long-term issues to report?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Lon
12-14-2015, 09:21 AM
I bought a P07 last month. I really like it. Mine is the new version with the interchangeable back straps. I put the CGW parts in myself. Wasn't hard. I've only got a few hundred rounds through it, but I shoot it just as good as my 229 based on my FAST times and some other drills. I'm going to be sending it off to Mark H to have an RMR installed pretty soon. I'll post some pics and details after I get the work done and get some more rounds through it.

SteveB
12-14-2015, 02:09 PM
I've been carrying and shooting a CZ Custom Shop P-07 (alternating with a P-2000) most of the last year. It's hard not to love the P-07; very accurate, reliable, great trigger, a hammer (AIWB), easy to carry.

Greg
12-16-2015, 10:52 AM
I picked up a 2nd Gen P-07 and I really like this pistol. I've owned it for roughly one month and have put 1100+ rounds through it. It feels like it will run forever.

Reading Todd G's posts on AIWB carry made me wish for an original Sig P228. Sadly, those are collector pieces now and pretty expensive. The list of polymer framed DA/SA pistols is fairly short and Mike Pannone's praise of the P-07 pushed me over the edge.

THe sight picture is identical to the Novaks you find on S&W 3rd Gen pistols. The DA pull was heavy but not excessively long. I did swap out the hammer spring for a CGW Yellow (18#) and the recommended firing pin spring. Now the DA pull is no handicap and this surprised me a little because I've primarily been a striker fired guy for the last 8 years.

After going to the lighter hammer spring I ran 100 rounds of Russian Wolf and Tulammo through it and the 18# hammer spring had no problem touching off those hard primers. Function so far has been 100% and I've run over 400 JHP rounds through it (out of 1100+).

Holsters are fairly available but the aftermarket sight selection is kind of grim. I plan to run this pistol as is for the foreseeable future. It really is a shooter.

OkieHeat
12-16-2015, 10:58 AM
I picked up a 2nd Gen P-07 and I really like this pistol. I've owned it for roughly one month and have put 1100+ rounds through it. It feels like it will run forever.

Reading Todd G's posts on AIWB carry made me wish for an original Sig P228. Sadly, those are collector pieces now and pretty expensive. The list of polymer framed DA/SA pistols is fairly short and Mike Pannone's praise of the P-07 pushed me over the edge.

THe sight picture is identical to the Novaks you find on S&W 3rd Gen pistols. The DA pull was heavy but not excessively long. I did swap out the hammer spring for a CGW Yellow (18#) and the recommended firing pin spring. Now the DA pull is no handicap and this surprised me a little because I've primarily been a striker fired guy for the last 8 years.

Holsters are fairly available but the aftermarket sight selection is kind of grim. I plan to run this pistol as is for the foreseeable future. It really is a shooter.

I am looking at one also but all i have ever shot is strike fire also.

GJM
12-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Lack of sight options is the major issue with the -07. Wish there was an HD or Ameriglo offering.

Mine have been accurate, reliable, with good OEM magazines (better than the P01 in my opinion).

Lon
12-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Mine is going off to Mark H today.

OkieHeat
12-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Lack of sight options is the major issue with the -07. Wish there was an HD or Ameriglo offering.

Mine have been accurate, reliable, with good OEM magazines (better than the P01 in my opinion).

I agree, Ameriglo i dot are my favorite.

Greg
12-16-2015, 11:14 AM
I've emailed Ameriglo and asked them to consider making sights for the P-07/09 line.

If they hear from enough of us maybe they will.

CoGT3
12-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Have done the same thing with trijicon. I send them an email every 4 months or so. They have said if there is enough interest they would consider making the HD line for the P07/09. Please join the harassment process.

Greg
12-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Have done the same thing with trijicon. I send them an email every 4 months or so. They have said if there is enough interest they would consider making the HD line for the P07/09. Please join the harassment process.

I just emailed Trijicon to request HD sights for the P-07/09 series.