PDA

View Full Version : RFI 2015 BMW X6 xdrive35i

JM Campbell
12-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Have an opportunity to purchase a low mileage 2015 BMW X6 xdrive35i for the wife as a bday present. Does anyone have any experience with this model that could give insight on weather to run for the hills or buy it ASAP. I’ve never owned or really looked at a BMW but she’s worked hard and deserves a nicer car for all that she has invested in our lives and careers.

What say you hive mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rd62
12-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Have an opportunity to purchase a low mileage 2015 BMW X6 xdrive35i for the wife as a bday present. Does anyone have any experience with this model that could give insight on weather to run for the hills or buy it ASAP. I’ve never owned or really looked at a BMW but she’s worked hard and deserves a nicer car for all that she has invested in our lives and careers.

What say you hive mind?

How many miles?

JM Campbell
12-18-2017, 09:09 PM

RJ
12-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Hopefully with a warranty?

I think I was up to 8 or 9 bimmers after I traded my E92 M3 for the truck. Nothing quite like the road feel.

I don’t recall huge issues being reported over at my fancy pants BMW site on the X6s. I actually considered buying to tow a 23’ Airstream but could not make the tow Capacity work.

I did the ‘BMW Experience’ at the factory in Spartanburg when my 328i arrived. Besides the tour, we got to hot shoe several models at the M School track, as well as drive a Diesel X5 around the obstacle course.

I’m no 4WD expert, but the X Drive system impressed me quite a bit as the truck did a mountain goat impression.

I’d say if you can find a decent one, with a warranty, and can get a good Pre Purchase Inspection, it’d be a good bet.

ranger
12-18-2017, 09:52 PM
I have owned multiple BMWs - currently have a 2006 BMW X5 3.0 with 172000 miles (still running strong!) and a new-to-me 2011 BMW 335i coupe with 51000 miles. Key to success with used BMWs is having access to a trustworthy independent BMW mechanic - preferably one that will let you supply your own parts! There are multiple BMW forums - if you Google your year and model BMW you should find some threads on issues, etc. I have never had an extended warranty - actually any warranty - on a BMW as I always buy used from an individual after warranty is expired. My X5 has served us well in bad weather including the recent 12 inch "blizzard" NW of Atlanta (big deal from us Southerners). It is my dedicated range vehicle and errand vehicle and is semi-retired from commuting as I recently added the 335 for a "fun" commuter. I must emphasize key to a used BMW is access to cheaper labor and parts versus the BMW "stealership".

Wake27
12-19-2017, 01:27 AM
Even with independent mechanics the price to maintain them is significant. I can’t wait to get another as they are really awesome to drive, but I’ll never not buy one without a warranty and will probably sell it as soon as that expires.

rd62
12-19-2017, 07:20 AM
The warranty is coming up on my '11 550i M Sport. I'll be selling it first. It's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned, looks sharp, is fast, and very comfortable. It gets a lot of attention and compliments. That said, it's been the single most maintenance intensive care I've ever owned. And that maintenance ain't cheap. Taxes, insurance, etc are all expensive. Even if the warranty weren't expiring I'd be looking to sell. It's been a blast but I've got other things in mind I'd rather spend the $$$ on.

JRB
12-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Having run the gambit with countless enthusiast cars both personally and professionally, I will absolutely never own a BMW - and that's despite having the tools, equipment, and experience to do virtually anything myself.

BMW's are best for folks that simply have to have a BMW. They do tend to have more HP than comparable models, good steering feel/sports-car feeling to drive, great stability at speed, and a few other traits that make BMW addicts out of some folks.
But replacement parts are prohibitively expensive and few independent shops care to work on late model BMW's at all. Self-maintenance of earlier models bring a lot of headaches due to component depth, specialty tools, and specialty electronics required to reset certain failure codes. Generally speaking, the newer the BMW, the worse this gets. Many suspension components traded durability for reduced noise/vibration/harshness (called NVH in car-speak) so after 40-60k miles expect to replace control arms and the like at significant expense.

Even with full warranty coverage, expect any given model to have between 2 and 6 weeks of downtime in the dealership in a given year.

If one must buy a BMW, I would buy a brand new one off the lot and pony up for extra/extended warranty coverage for as long as possible. It is best not to see a BMW purchase as a 'purchase' per se, but more of an overall expense for the use of the vehicle - a lease of sorts. If you don't mind paying what it costs to have the use of a BMW, go for it. If you're interested in owning a vehicle and having a solid, reliable, trouble-free vehicle for >6 years, seek Japanese brands. Lexus in particular.

The xDrive AWD isn't significantly different than any other modern AWD in any other vehicle. They all have the typical power-limiting/ABS combo traction control independently running off of the ABS wheel speed sensors in all four hubs. Subaru, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, etc all have similar and equally effective AWD.

Audi and Mercedes-Benz have similar issues but aren't quite as bad as BMW reliability/issues/component cost in my experience, but virtually all of my experience is specifically on the performance/enthusiast models and variants from those brands. The more utilitarian models might trend differently.

Long story short - if you're happy paying the price and like it enough to keep it for 3 years or less, have warranty coverage through that 3 years, and can accept the inevitable and atrocious depreciation that it'll see once it approaches its warranty sunset - go for it. Otherwise, I would consider other models.

Also, I'd strongly recommend taking your wife on a wide variety of test driving days and get as much wheel time in comparable models (and sports models, etc) as possible, so she can better narrow down exactly what she likes. If one is used to driving an older, less fancy vehicle, it's real easy to fall in love with the first newer, nicer vehicle you drive.
Making a decision from experience and *knowing* that's the *exact* car you want can make the added maintenance expense, etc much more palatable, by knowing that's the car that really makes you happy. Its an intensely personal process for everyone, as we all value different things, so encourage honest feedback from your wife and really narrow down what *she* wants in a new vehicle.

JM Campbell
12-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Having run the gambit with countless enthusiast cars both personally and professionally, I will absolutely never own a BMW - and that's despite having the tools, equipment, and experience to do virtually anything myself.

BMW's are best for folks that simply have to have a BMW. They do tend to have more HP than comparable models, good steering feel/sports-car feeling to drive, great stability at speed, and a few other traits that make BMW addicts out of some folks.
But replacement parts are prohibitively expensive and few independent shops care to work on late model BMW's at all. Self-maintenance of earlier models bring a lot of headaches due to component depth, specialty tools, and specialty electronics required to reset certain failure codes. Generally speaking, the newer the BMW, the worse this gets. Many suspension components traded durability for reduced noise/vibration/harshness (called NVH in car-speak) so after 40-60k miles expect to replace control arms and the like at significant expense.

Even with full warranty coverage, expect any given model to have between 2 and 6 weeks of downtime in the dealership in a given year.

If one must buy a BMW, I would buy a brand new one off the lot and pony up for extra/extended warranty coverage for as long as possible. It is best not to see a BMW purchase as a 'purchase' per se, but more of an overall expense for the use of the vehicle - a lease of sorts. If you don't mind paying what it costs to have the use of a BMW, go for it. If you're interested in owning a vehicle and having a solid, reliable, trouble-free vehicle for >6 years, seek Japanese brands. Lexus in particular.

The xDrive AWD isn't significantly different than any other modern AWD in any other vehicle. They all have the typical power-limiting/ABS combo traction control independently running off of the ABS wheel speed sensors in all four hubs. Subaru, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, etc all have similar and equally effective AWD.

Audi and Mercedes-Benz have similar issues but aren't quite as bad as BMW reliability/issues/component cost in my experience, but virtually all of my experience is specifically on the performance/enthusiast models and variants from those brands. The more utilitarian models might trend differently.

Long story short - if you're happy paying the price and like it enough to keep it for 3 years or less, have warranty coverage through that 3 years, and can accept the inevitable and atrocious depreciation that it'll see once it approaches its warranty sunset - go for it. Otherwise, I would consider other models.

Also, I'd strongly recommend taking your wife on a wide variety of test driving days and get as much wheel time in comparable models (and sports models, etc) as possible, so she can better narrow down exactly what she likes. If one is used to driving an older, less fancy vehicle, it's real easy to fall in love with the first newer, nicer vehicle you drive.
Making a decision from experience and *knowing* that's the *exact* car you want can make the added maintenance expense, etc much more palatable, by knowing that's the car that really makes you happy. Its an intensely personal process for everyone, as we all value different things, so encourage honest feedback from your wife and really narrow down what *she* wants in a new vehicle.

All solid advice, thank you. I took it home last night and she was happy with it but did not care for the ride feel or the rear hatch tiny window and large deck/hatch lid. I took it back this morning, I work for the Dealer so plug and play cars for the day is normal. She actually is swaying more to a performance coupe per our lengthy conversation last night. Looks like we’ll be hitting a Lexus Dealer to look at the coupes and possibly Jaguar since my company does not hold a franchise for either I will have to do business with a competitors company. She has decided to buy or lease new and not buy used.

Appreciate all the info and experiences you have shared.

JRB
12-19-2017, 03:18 PM
All solid advice, thank you. I took it home last night and she was happy with it but did not care for the ride feel or the rear hatch tiny window and large deck/hatch lid. I took it back this morning, I work for the Dealer so plug and play cars for the day is normal. She actually is swaying more to a performance coupe per our lengthy conversation last night. Looks like we’ll be hitting a Lexus Dealer to look at the coupes and possibly Jaguar since my company does not hold a franchise for either I will have to do business with a competitors company. She has decided to buy or lease new and not buy used.

Appreciate all the info and experiences you have shared.

Working for/having inside connections to a dealership does significantly change the landscape - It's much easier to support a car 'in-house'.
BMW once offered significant incentives for BMW dealership employees to purchase/lease BMW's themselves, so that is very much worth considering. Nonetheless, the best bet is to have her drive a variety of models and discover what she likes.

JM Campbell
12-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Very true, I’m not a BMW Dealer. I just get wicked deals sometimes on used cars due to our awesome pre-owned management and buying power.

GardoneVT
12-19-2017, 09:57 PM

What say you hive mind?

Car guys talk mad shade about GM build quality ,but at least a 2001 Corvette won't need new crankshaft bearings or a subframe replacement (!) as a same year M3 may need.

That,combined with the ownership experience of my family on a previous gen X5, leads me to the recommendation to buy a BMW only if it's 1:18 scale, or you're a die hard fan and don't mind pulling reverse threaded torx bolts monthly.

JM Campbell
12-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Car guys talk mad shade about GM build quality ,but at least a 2001 Corvette won't need new crankshaft bearings or a subframe replacement (!) as a same year M3 may need.

That,combined with the ownership experience of my family on a previous gen X5, leads me to the recommendation to buy a BMW only if it's 1:18 scale, or you're a die hard fan and don't mind pulling reverse threaded torx bolts monthly.

FYI I’ve had to fix more bs chevy crap then you can imagine in my almost 20 year career. In the last 10 it has shown me to never by chevy, gmc or cadillac. I’ve had to wholesale 65% of those “brands” because they would require too much to repair and were safety hazards.

Every manufacturer has fleas period, some just have a shit ton more.

JAD
12-19-2017, 11:05 PM

That varies from my experience. I owned a Z4, X5, and 528 serially. None ever went in the shop. I like my ruby, but when it dies I’m going back to the Bavarians — I just prefer how they drive.