PDA

View Full Version : .22 Can Recommendation

OnionsAndDragons
12-18-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm finally going to break down and file for my first can.

I think I've narrowed it down to two options and would appreciate the experienced opinions of you lovely folks. I want something that will work well on a rifle and pistol but will spend most of its time on a 10/22 or an MP 15-22.

I am trying to decide between the Rugged Oculus (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=450) and the AAC Halcyon (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=526)

I'm open to other suggestions, but these seem to be well-liked and have the features I'd appreciate.

Thanks for the help!

Odin Bravo One
12-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I’d buy from the company that has the best customer service.

There is very little difference in terms of performance from one to the next. So if the suppressors you have listed have the features you like, and at a price you’re willing to pay, roll with that.

I’m sure there are people who will try to convince you that there is a significant difference in performance, but I’ve shot close to 20
Different .22 LR suppressors over the last 5-7 years, and own four from different manufacturers. There is no noticeable difference in suppression level, and I have just one pistol doesn’t like one particular suppressor. Since it gets along with all of the other guns, that one mismatch is hardly indicative of the suppressors performance. It’s indicative of its performance on that sample of one, and that is it.

My criteria at this point is the company standing behind their product and willing to fix problems should one arise.

Abbotm2
12-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Silencer Co. sparrow. Very easy to clean, I’ve dealt with their customer service on multiple occasions and they are outstanding. I have 3 Silencer Co cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nalesq
12-19-2017, 02:42 PM
I can’t imagine better customer service than Silencerco. I shot off one of their cans (a Specwar K), resulting in baffle and end cap strikes. Maybe I didn’t lock it down properly, maybe it shot loose. Regardless, they fixed it in less than 3 weeks without charging me a dime.

Regarding .22 cans in particular, if this is going to be used by small people with limited upper body strength, I would recommend the lightest possible can, even if it’s a bit more trouble to clean, like the Silencerco Warlock 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UNM1136
12-20-2017, 05:19 AM
I really like this one...

https://www.eliteiron.com/product/echo-22lr/

Not many people have heard of Elite Iron, but those that do have nothing but good things to say about it, including the Silencerco field rep at a shoot.

Excellent customer service.

I will definitely be buying from them again.

pat

LittleLebowski
12-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Hansohn Brothers

LOKNLOD
12-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Whatever you get, be mentally prepared for the new hawtness you buy now to be old and busted (according to the interweb) by the time you receive it.

Hansohn Brothers
12-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Hansohn Brothers

Take a look at the Energetic Nyx Mod 2. Modular and 100% titanium so you can dip it or tumble it. The one aspect I really like is the Nyx 2.0 is incredibly lightweight at only 4 oz. Energetic Arms Nyx Mod2 (https://energeticarms.com/nyx-mod2-modular-titanium-silencer/). Since they are new to the scene, their customer support hasn't been tested at the retail level, but from a dealer perspective, they have been nothing but helpful and genuinely appreciate honest feedback.
punkey71 has shot all the models (except the AAC) and can provide more subjective feedback. As said earlier, it's hard to screw up a rimfire design so pick the one that meets your specific needs and avoid the companies with less than positive customer feedback.

OnionsAndDragons
12-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Whatever you get, be mentally prepared for the new hawtness you buy now to be old and busted (according to the interweb) by the time you receive it.

Isn't that just the way of the interwebs? I'm not worried about falling behind on rim fire can tech. Lol

I am still drawn to the Rugged product due to a combo of solid reviews and that the company rolls with a no-fucks-given lifetime warranty.

I will have to give that Nyx some real consideration as i love bare ti, and the weight numbers are impressive!

punkey71
12-20-2017, 09:30 AM
As Sean and Hansohn already said, they all suppress well.

When we’ve done side-by-side metering and subjective sound assessment we can hear differences but nothing is really better or worse -they just sound slightly different.

Caveat - The only can I’ve heard that sounded significantly louder than most is the SiCo Warlock.

Follow the advice above and get a can from a good company. Assess weight and modularity as your needs dictate.

That said, the Nyx was amazing. If Hansohn believes they are a stand up company I’d probably give a hard look in that direction due to their weight, modularity and cleaning ease.

Kyle Reese
12-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Anyone check out the Q Erector yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wyoming Shooter
12-21-2017, 12:00 PM
After reading this article: http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-rated-10-rimfire-cans-128171.html, I ordered a Thunder Beast 22 Take Down. My TB CB9 has been a good can and I've toured the TB facility a couple of times. Good stuff.

Kyle Reese
12-21-2017, 01:14 PM
After reading this article: http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-rated-10-rimfire-cans-128171.html, I ordered a Thunder Beast 22 Take Down. My TB CB9 has been a good can and I've toured the TB facility a couple of times. Good stuff.

I bought one from Hansohn Brothers during the group buy in November. I have high hopes for that can. :)

Wyoming Shooter
07-18-2018, 02:33 PM
I just took delivery of my Thunderbeast 22 TD. It's on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I've fired about 250 rounds of SK Standard Plus and Remington Golden Bullet. The can is very quiet, especially with the SK ammo. I haven't done any formal accuracy testing. I want to see how group sizes and POI change with the can attached. I've had several failures to eject and failures to fire. I blame the cheapo Remington ammo for that. I will experiment with some CCI Mini Mags next. All in all, I'm most pleased.

Unobtanium
07-19-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm finally going to break down and file for my first can.

I think I've narrowed it down to two options and would appreciate the experienced opinions of you lovely folks. I want something that will work well on a rifle and pistol but will spend most of its time on a 10/22 or an MP 15-22.

I am trying to decide between the Rugged Oculus (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=450) and the AAC Halcyon (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=526)

I'm open to other suggestions, but these seem to be well-liked and have the features I'd appreciate.

Thanks for the help!

I love my spectre 2. Its oldschool, but never a complaint, and the numbers are still legit.

LittleLebowski
07-19-2018, 11:24 AM
I love my spectre 2. Its oldschool, but never a complaint, and the numbers are still legit.

This.

Clusterfrack
07-19-2018, 01:38 PM
I just took delivery of my Thunderbeast 22 TD. It's on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I've fired about 250 rounds of SK Standard Plus and Remington Golden Bullet. The can is very quiet, especially with the SK ammo. I haven't done any formal accuracy testing. I want to see how group sizes and POI change with the can attached. I've had several failures to eject and failures to fire. I blame the cheapo Remington ammo for that. I will experiment with some CCI Mini Mags next. All in all, I'm most pleased.

I've had to do a ton of work on my 22/45 to get it to run well, and it only likes certain ammo. Eley Contact 42gr is the best subsonic ammo I've found.

Wyoming Shooter
07-19-2018, 01:50 PM
I've had to do a ton of work on my 22/45 to get it to run well, and it only likes certain ammo. Eley Contact 42gr is the best subsonic ammo I've found.

Thanks. I'll try some!