PDA

View Full Version : Help with Glock Triggers

NH Shooter
12-15-2017, 11:48 AM
As I have mentioned in other threads, due to my short fingers the reach to the face of the trigger of my Gen 3 G17 is more than I'd like. A few measurements I have made with calipers;

From face of trigger at the trigger safety pivot pin to the arch on the rear of the grip where the web of the hand rides measures 2.840 inches.

Same measurement with the trigger pulled just short of the trigger bar contacting the firing pin safety plunger measures 2.740 inches.

If anyone is using an aftermarket flat trigger, I am looking for feedback (or better yet measurements) to determine if any of these triggers reduce the "LOP" for the trigger finger.

Many thanks in advance for any insight! :-)

M2CattleCo
12-15-2017, 01:43 PM
I'd look at a different gun. I'm not a fan of reducing pre-travel and there's not much you can do to make a Glock very good for someone with short fingers. The Glock 43 would probably work better but it is not a replacement for a 17.

HopetonBrown
12-15-2017, 01:50 PM
What about a Gen 4 or 5 without backstrap?

Qaz98
12-15-2017, 02:34 PM
From my noob experience, there are a couple of options. One option is to try the Overwatch TAC or DAT triggers. I have the TAC and it's great. It's probably considered one of the few aftermarket triggers that reduces pre-travel without violating the drop safety feature. (Modifying the trigger on an EDC, of course, is a different discussion and in a different thread.)

The other option, which helped me more than I expected, was getting some custom work. I had sent my G19 to Robar, and they do a grip reduction, stippling, and trigger guard undercut - and it feels amazing. That option, however, is $$$$. But it feels great. You may have a local guy that can do similar work, or DIY.

Last option, which I did, is just go to an HK. Haha. Seriously, the ergonomics on the grip, and the adjustability you get with the panels (VP9, VP9SK) is great.

Leroy Suggs
12-15-2017, 03:33 PM
my g17.4 no backstrap, Overwatch Tac measures 2.710.

NH Shooter
12-16-2017, 09:59 AM
my g17.4 no backstrap, Overwatch Tac measures 2.710.

hubcap, thanks for the info.

I purchased this pistol new and though I field strip and clean it after each use, today I detailed stripped it for the first time. I have to admit, I have a new appreciation for the amazing simplicity of Glock construction and how easy it is to detail strip. There was quite an accumulation of residue on the internals and everything was bone dry on top of it. I gently hand polished the contact points with Mother's Billet Polish (25-cent trigger job), then thoroughly cleaned and reassembled with a thin coat of Slip 2000 on all metal parts. As expected, it smoothed-out the trigger pull considerably and it seems to break cleaner as well.

I'm going to spend some quality time with it at the range this weekend. Who knows, maybe the Glock works for me better than I remember.

fixer
12-16-2017, 10:09 AM
If you find yourself adjusting hand position to get on the trigger right, then yeah the grip size might be too much. I have a similar problem with the 92.

NH Shooter
12-16-2017, 10:25 AM
If you find yourself adjusting hand position to get on the trigger right, then yeah the grip size might be too much. I have a similar problem with the 92.

fixer, with the 92 I would assume that is in DA mode only? With my 5906 I too find that's the case holding with one hand but it's just fine with the hammer cocked in SA.

Duelist
12-16-2017, 10:28 AM
I'd get that grip modified, or swap it for a gen 4/5. No need to fuss with the trigger. My buddy (little hands) got a Gen 3 G22, got the grip modified, and runs it just fine. Pre-grip reduction, he was ready to sell it.

fixer
12-16-2017, 10:30 AM
yep in DA. on draw from concealment, I frequently can't get a solid grip and the gun will shift/jostle/jockey around as I try to establish a grip that gets me good trigger reach.

Trukinjp13
12-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Gen 5 would be a lot easier than ruining your pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NH Shooter
12-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Back from the range, the trigger clean-up helped but it still felt heavy squeezing off shots for precision. Not having a proper trigger gauge, I looped a cable tie through a ziplock food storage bag and through the trigger guard, kept adding coins to see how much I could get the trigger to hold;

6 pounds, 5 ounces - and with a little shake the trigger beaks.

It's smooth, breaks cleanly and I still managed about 5-inch groups at 60 feet single-handed, Bullseye slow fire style. But geez, the trigger sure makes it difficult to shoot that way. With two hands all rounds stay in the 10-ring of a B27 at 60 feet, but the heavy pull even makes that a challenge. I'm actually more consistent with the PPS and have shot tighter groups with it.

Cross roads: ditch the Glock and go PPQ, or start messing with Glock trigger parts to get it down to around 5 pounds? Maybe a "-" connector is worth a shot...

HCM
12-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Back from the range, the trigger clean-up helped but it still felt heavy squeezing off shots for precision. Not having a proper trigger gauge, I looped a cable tie through a ziplock food storage bag and through the trigger guard, kept adding coins to see how much I could get the trigger to hold;

6 pounds, 5 ounces - and with a little shake the trigger beaks.

It's smooth, breaks cleanly and I still managed about 5-inch groups at 60 feet single-handed, Bullseye slow fire style. But geez, the trigger sure makes it difficult to shoot that way. With two hands all rounds stay in the 10-ring of a B27 at 60 feet, but the heavy pull even makes that a challenge. I'm actually more consistent with the PPS and have shot tighter groups with it.

Cross roads: ditch the Glock and go PPQ, or start messing with Glock trigger parts to get it down to around 5 pounds? Maybe a "-" connector is worth a shot...

So is this a grip issue or a trigger issue for you?

You stated the Gen 3 is too large for your hands/ fingers. This is not an uncommon issue, in fact it is the reason Glock developed the modular grip system for the Gen 4/5/M. The Gen 3 is the same size as the Gen 4/5/M with the medium backstrap. If it is a grip issue, sell or trade the Gen3 for a Gen 4 with a minus connector or a gen 5.

From your prior postings, you shoot Precision rifles and you like the SA trigger of your 5906. It sounds like it is not necessarily the trigger weight but rather the trigger style or feel. If that is the real issue, stop wasting your time with the Glock and get a PPQ. The Glock is best thought of as a very good DA type trigger. If you want an SA “glass rod” type trigger the Glock ain’t it. The best “glass rod” striker triggers I’ve tried have been S&W M&Ps with the Apex Forward Set Sear and a thumb safety or the PPQ.

The Glock is not a bulleye gun and for those type applications the Gen 4 and Gen5 normally produce about 50% better mechanical accuracy than earlier generations. As for the Glock trigger, it is sort of unique and like the HK LEM it works best when you are “monogamous” with that type of trigger.

To get what you want out of a Gen3 Glock you are looking at a grip reduction, aftermarket trigger, aftermarket fitted barrel such as a Wilson or KKM and good sights such as Dawson adjustables.

For what you describe, the HK USP 9mm would fit the bill if you swap sights and add the match trigger.

So Gen 4/5 Glock, PPQ or find an HK USP expert 9mm?

NH Shooter
12-16-2017, 03:45 PM
So is this a grip issue or a trigger issue for you?

I suspect a combination of both. The trigger on the PPS is not that much different, but because I can really get my hand around it I have better trigger control and less disturbance of the sight picture as I pull the trigger.

I appreciate your feedback. After today's effort with the Glock, I'm now pretty sure how I'm going to proceed.

Kram
12-16-2017, 04:12 PM
NH Shooter,
You should really give the Gen 5 Glock 17 a try. It addresses the issues you are having with your Gen 3 with the improved trigger and grip. The noticible accuracy (IMO) and simplicity of the platform are an added plus.

45dotACP
12-16-2017, 07:18 PM
I found the glocks are fairly accurate for me. I can hold a USPSA head at 25 yards with a gen 3 Glock 34 and if my sight focus is on fire, I can sometimes (but not consistently) hold the A-zone of the head. The trigger IMO lends itself better to a more fluid trigger press, like working a DA trigger vs a 1911.

The gen 4 has been more accurate, but has a less awesome trigger, (gotta be around 6.5 lbs even with a connector) though it is still workable. I'm excited to see how the gen 5 shoots once I've got it in my hands.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NH Shooter
12-16-2017, 07:23 PM
JodyH made me do it (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?28840-Walther-PPQ-Q5-Match-(wife-s-Christmas-gun));

https://www.gunbuyer.com/walther-ppq-m1-9mm-5-barrel-fiber-optic-front-sight-2-mags-2826721.html

STI
12-16-2017, 09:41 PM
PPQ is a good call. As much as I'm loving Gen 5, the break feel isn't even remotely glass-rod and I highly doubt there's an easy way to make it so, it's a rolling break compared to my Gen 3. Minus connectors aren't even close either, with a feel that's not any crisper, not smoother, and noticeably more spongy.