PDA

View Full Version : Firefox is Creeping Me Out

Stephanie B
12-14-2017, 03:49 PM
In Firefox 57.0.1; the little busy indicator for each tab is a dot on the left side of the tab that moves back and forth in the horizontal plane.

It is reminiscent of a Cylon (the metallic ones, not the skin jobs).

Might have to shoot this thing.

Frakking toasters.

(And yes, I expect that, in the future, "toaster" will be considered to be a slur against AI robots. So I'm going to make full use of it before we have to say "the T-word".)

RoyGBiv
12-14-2017, 04:26 PM
On the PC, the new FF is hugely faster. Big improvement.

RJ
12-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Yeah. I noticed that.

The toaster said not to worry about it. :)

Hambo
12-14-2017, 04:45 PM
In Firefox 57.0.1; the little busy indicator for each tab is a dot on the left side of the tab that moves back and forth in the horizontal plane.

Frakking toasters.

(And yes, I expect that, in the future, "toaster" will be considered to be a slur against AI robots. So I'm going to make full use of it before we have to say "the T-word".)

Well, you could cut the cord and go live in a yurt with a foil lined roof so even the thermal imaging satellites can't track you.

Guerrero
12-14-2017, 04:52 PM
This version new? I ask because I switched away from Firefox just a couple months ago, after using FF for about 10 years. FF just didn't render a bunch of pages correctly for me.

Stephanie B
12-14-2017, 05:40 PM
This version new? I ask because I switched away from Firefox just a couple months ago, after using FF for about 10 years. FF just didn't render a bunch of pages correctly for me.

I guess. They seem to update it very frequently. FF was slowing down enough that I've been using Opera, but the latest version seems a bit faster.

RoyGBiv
12-14-2017, 06:53 PM

57 is a rewrite of the core. Major changes. None of the legacy add-ons will work on 57 without major updates.

Lon
12-14-2017, 08:48 PM

scjbash
12-14-2017, 09:14 PM
I haven't noticed any speed improvements and I lost a bunch of add-ons. I'm still having rendering and video issues. If I didn't have to use it all day for work I'd ditch it completely.

Drang
12-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Anyone see ads on P-F.com using Firefox? I don't.

Using Pale Moon ATM and I do.

David S.
12-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Anyone see ads on P-F.com using Firefox? I don't.

Using Pale Moon ATM and I do.
Have Adblock software on?

Drang
12-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Have Adblock software on?

No.
So far as I can tell, I have Firefox set to allow stuff on P-F. I already passed it on to Tom.

That Guy
12-15-2017, 04:20 AM

Frakking toasters.

This is hysterically funny and... OH GOD NOW I SEE IT TOO! O.o

Cylons. Staring at me. From the darkness.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

DallasBronco
12-15-2017, 12:53 PM
All the latest update did for me was screw up/rearrange all of my bookmarks. It's now much harder to find them, so I'm not seeing the speed improvement.

MistWolf
12-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Frakking toasters.

Unless you play Battletech, you cannot begin to imagine how much this made me laugh! Made me think of the epithet for ComStar (basically had full control of interstellar communications) technicians turned acolytes who made technology into religion to keep the unwashed masses in awe. They derisively called the ComStar acolytes "Toaster Worshippers".

Thank you for a good laugh!

Stephanie B
12-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B
Frakking toasters.Unless you play Battletech, you cannot begin to imagine how much this made me laugh! Made me think of the epithet for ComStar (basically had full control of interstellar communications) technicians turned acolytes who made technology into religion to keep the unwashed masses in awe. They derisively called the ComStar acolytes "Toaster Worshippers".

Thank you for a good laugh!

You're welcome. I presume you already know that the epithet comes from Battlestar Galactica. It may be older than that.

MistWolf
12-16-2017, 12:00 AM
You're welcome. I presume you already know that the epithet comes from Battlestar Galactica. It may be older than that.

I got the reference about Cylons and of course "Frakking". But I didn't realize they ever called Cylons "Toasters". If they did, it would predate the Battletech reference.

...unless you're talking about the Battlestar Galactica remake (which I didn't watch). That came after Battletech.

MistWolf
12-16-2017, 04:01 AM
Ads revenue is declining despite rising membership and pageviews. Yay for technology. I’m starting to feel like a gun channel Youtuber. :)

I've been clicking on all the ones with pretty girls