PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder Tactics, Techniques & Procedures (TTP)

okie john
12-10-2017, 01:48 PM
I added a rangefinder to my gear last year. Here are three TTPs that I’ve developed for using it:

First, I use the rangefinder every couple of hours, so I keep it in my vest or web gear where I can reach it easily, not buried in my rucksack.

Second, I keep it in a case so it stays clean and relatively dry. I also have it on a lanyard so I don't lose it.

Third, when I sit down to glass an area, I use it to create a mental range card. (For a range card refresher, see the top of this page: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/SMCT_CTT_Tasks/Skill_Level_1/0710000005-sl1-prepare-a-.shtml)

I range the distance to notable rocks, stumps, terrain features, etc., as far as I can see to get a feel for the ground in front of me. If I see an animal within my personal maximum range, then I know where to hold and can make the shot accordingly. I also range the distance to potential firing points in front of my position so that if I see an animal beyond my personal maximum range, then I know where to go to get within that range. While I rest my eyes between glassing sessions, I think through routes to those potential firing points.

I do this because range-estimation skills get rusty, and even when they're not, being in unfamiliar terrain and vegetation can throw them off badly.

I did this when my son and I hunted hogs last summer. We sat overlooking a pond, the far shore of which I would have sworn was every inch of 200 yards away. But I ranged the distance to several places where we felt hogs were likely to appear, and none was farther than about 140 yards. The hogs showed up beside a tree that I had ranged at 113 yards, and my son dropped one with a single perfect heart shot. Had I not ranged the ground in front of us before the hogs showed up, I would have told him to hold for 200 yards. He would have hit high, and we might have lost the animal.

What other TTPs do you guys use with rangefinders?

Thanks,

Okie John

Wyoming Shooter
12-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Here in Wyoming, rangefinders are essential. I carry mine with binoculars, calls, knife, license, etc. in an Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak Cub Max bino harness. I also mentally guesstimate range before using the rangefinder. Best, ELN.

LJP
12-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Good stuff. Nothing really to add. I did much the same this year from deer blinds and stands during a week long hunting trip to SC. As soon as it got light (or as soon as I got in a stand in the afternoon), I would start by ranging various landmarks much as you describe. I kept mine in an easily accessible pouch on my hunting pack, also with a lanyard attached. Your post is going to prompt me to think more about how I employ mine next year. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crews
12-10-2017, 05:50 PM
I saved up until I could afford a nice set of binoculars with a range finder built in. For hunting, it is one of the wisest investments I have ever made.

JBhunter45
12-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Same as above.

Tip: If your hunting jacket or coat has a zippered breast pocket on the left side, I keep my rangefinder in that pocket. I'll push the lanyard through the zipper pull and pass the range finder through the loop created. Easy to unzip or leave open on stand to check yardage, and close it to keep clean and dry. Only need the same amount of movement as binos on a harness.

Redhat
12-12-2017, 12:21 PM
I added a rangefinder to my gear last year. Here are three TTPs that I’ve developed for using it:

First, I use the rangefinder every couple of hours, so I keep it in my vest or web gear where I can reach it easily, not buried in my rucksack.

Second, I keep it in a case so it stays clean and relatively dry. I also have it on a lanyard so I don't lose it.

Third, when I sit down to glass an area, I use it to create a mental range card. (For a range card refresher, see the top of this page: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/SMCT_CTT_Tasks/Skill_Level_1/0710000005-sl1-prepare-a-.shtml)

I range the distance to notable rocks, stumps, terrain features, etc., as far as I can see to get a feel for the ground in front of me. If I see an animal within my personal maximum range, then I know where to hold and can make the shot accordingly. I also range the distance to potential firing points in front of my position so that if I see an animal beyond my personal maximum range, then I know where to go to get within that range. While I rest my eyes between glassing sessions, I think through routes to those potential firing points.

I do this because range-estimation skills get rusty, and even when they're not, being in unfamiliar terrain and vegetation can throw them off badly.

I did this when my son and I hunted hogs last summer. We sat overlooking a pond, the far shore of which I would have sworn was every inch of 200 yards away. But I ranged the distance to several places where we felt hogs were likely to appear, and none was farther than about 140 yards. The hogs showed up beside a tree that I had ranged at 113 yards, and my son dropped one with a single perfect heart shot. Had I not ranged the ground in front of us before the hogs showed up, I would have told him to hold for 200 yards. He would have hit high, and we might have lost the animal.

What other TTPs do you guys use with rangefinders?

Thanks,

Okie John

Ha! Good post Okie J!

I've been doing this "mental" Range Card thing since the early '90's when I started bow hunting. That was back when all I had was an old style mechanical range finder where you looked through the eye piece, adjusted the distance wheel to merge the 2 images and then read the distance on the dial. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who adapted range cards to hunting.

STI
12-12-2017, 01:05 PM
I saved up until I could afford a nice set of binoculars with a range finder built in. For hunting, it is one of the wisest investments I have ever made.

Recommendations?

Odin Bravo One
12-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Leica is the hands down winner in my book, though cost prohibitive for most. Having used the bulk of the others, I wouldn’t waste my money on anything else. For the money, right now it is very hard to beat the Sig KILO’s. Not a bino, but crushes everything else in its price range, which is affordable to anyone who owns more than two guns.

okie john
12-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Leica is the hands down winner in my book, though cost prohibitive for most. Having used the bulk of the others, I wouldn’t waste my money on anything else. For the money, right now it is very hard to beat the Sig KILO’s. Not a bino, but crushes everything else in its price range, which is affordable to anyone who owns more than two guns.

I bought a pair of 7x42 Leica binos for $750 about 10 years ago. I bought a Leica rangefinder for about $1k last year. If you shop hard, you can get Leica Geovid rangefinding binos for less than that.

Okie John

ranger
12-12-2017, 06:16 PM
I am adding a laser range finder to my hunting gear soon. I have been looking at the Sig KILOs as mentioned by Sean M. My current TTP is to use my hunting partner who has a SIG KILO (2000?).

Lester Polfus
12-12-2017, 08:04 PM
My TTP's are pretty much exactly the same as yours. I'm a big fan of the lanyard. Black, or even worse camo range finders are real hard to find in the forest duff.

The only thing I would add is if I know I'm going to be in an area where I can see aways (which isn't most of the time here in SW Washington) I take the range finder with me. I'll guess ranges, then confirm with the range finder.

Odin Bravo One
12-12-2017, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=okie john;684290]I bought a pair of 7x42 Leica binos for $750 about 10 years ago. I bought a Leica rangefinder for about $1k last year. If you shop hard, you can get Leica Geovid rangefinding binos for less than that.

Okie John[/QUOTE

Wouldn’t let me delete. Sorry.

SteveB
12-13-2017, 03:58 PM
I bought a pair of 7x42 Leica binos for $750 about 10 years ago. I bought a Leica rangefinder for about $1k last year. If you shop hard, you can get Leica Geovid rangefinding binos for less than that.

Okie John

I like Leica, but Geovids are heavy. My combo of Ultravid 8X32 and LRF 1200 are lighter and I get the flexibility of not carrying kit I don’t need.

Review of SIG Kilo: https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/sig-sauer-kilo-2400-abs-ballistic-rangefinder-review.1097/

Crews
12-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Recommendations?

Mine are Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B. Unsure if there is anything newer that is better, but I love mine. For me, a bulky pair of binoculars with ranging built in is well worth it. Hate fumbling around with and keeping track of two different gadgets.

Of course, I am a deer and hog hunter in the South. So there is a lot of riding around in the truck, and sitting in the stand. The speed of doing two things at once is useful.

GJM
12-13-2017, 06:07 PM
I have Geovid binos and multiple of Leica rangefinders. The Geovids are the bomb for guiding someone, but crazy heavy for use on physical hunts. First year to the Brooks Range sheep hunting, I suffered with their weight.

I like how the Leica rangefinders work. Keep a spare battery as it is an odd size and not readily available in the rural West. Rangefinders don’t work in fog and heavy snow, which is why I like flat shooting rifles in the hunting field.