PDA

View Full Version : So hilariously ignorant I had to share

MVS
12-02-2017, 11:21 PM
At the LGS this afternoon looking at new Glocks and Beretta 1301 T's. In walks a guy carrying a pistol case. The female co owner of the store asks him if the gun inside is unloaded. (They have had problems with people waving loaded guns around) He responds that it is unloaded and proceeds to very loudly tell everyone in the store what a gun expert he is. He has worked for the DOD and is a CPL instructor for one of the local gun clubs, and this and that and so on. He states that he is having a problem with his carry gun (a little Sig of some sort, 938?), that the slide feels really "funny" when he racks it. I am trying to not pay attention but it is around this time I hear him say, "sorry I didn't mean to sweep you, but the weapon is unloaded." He then apologizes for calling it a weapon and says I mean firearm. Oh boy NRA. The husband co owner comes out and take the pistol to his office. He comes back out a few minutes later and says he has figured out the problem. The gun had no guide rod in it! Spring was there, but no rod. The owner of said "firearm" proceeds to ask if that was important. He then says that is odd because he used this gun to qualify for his CPL instructor test and it worked just fine, but no he never took that part out. The owner of the store found him a new one and put it in.

I guess I shouldn't be amazed, but I was. This whole incident brought to mind a conversation I had once with an acquaintance when he found out I teach some "gun stuff". He said he just recently got a job teaching at his place of business and how easy it was to just read stuff out of the safety manual. It was his assertion that you don't really have to know the subject matter as long as you can effectively relay information. :rolleyes:

blues
12-02-2017, 11:48 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or be very, very afraid.

Joe in PNG
12-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Do they make "Gunshop Derp Bingo" cards?
You would have totally won that round.

Kyle Reese
12-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Yet another reason that I avoid most gun shops and just use a small, trusted FFL for my transfers and NFA stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RJ
12-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Yeeps.

I’ve learned enough to know to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

Being at the public indoor range is pretty interesting. Fortunately I keep my Sordins turned off most of the time so I no longer hear all the shooting ‘advice’ provided by Ex-Operators in black T shirts (with Menacing Skull designs), camo trousers and combat boots.

Having dipped a toe in other, ah, brand specific forums recently, I’m more happy than ever to be a PF Site Supporter.

hufnagel
12-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Do they make "Gunshop Derp Bingo" cards?
You would have totally won that round.

I thought Tamara had something like that at one point.

s0nspark
12-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Having dipped a toe in other, ah, brand specific forums recently, I’m more happy than ever to be a PF Site Supporter.

This IS the best place on the Internet for serious gun folk, isn’t it :)

STI
12-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Unless derp entertains you and you enjoy screaming at your virtual enemies through your keyboard.

Casual Friday
12-03-2017, 11:46 AM
One of the companies I do work for sells hot rod and race car parts. According to the owner, the level of derp rivals that of gun shops.

Cypher
12-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Not all the Derp is with the customers

A couple of years ago I took a hand gun to Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs to have some work done on it. I had already called ahead and the Smith knew I was coming. I walked to the back of the store where he was working on a hunting rifle. He had the rifle in hand and was looking at the scope, I introduced myself and he aimed the rifle right at me. (please note I did not say "pointed it at me" I said aimed)

I stepped to the side and told him that I had the gun here to be worked on and that it was in the box with the part to be changed and that the slide was locked back if he cared to check the chamber. He aimed at me again and told me to just leave the gun on the counter and he’d get to it in a few minutes.

I stepped to the side again and said OK sure I just wanted to make sure you knew the gun was here and he did it again.

Long story short he did the work, I got the gun back in just a few minutes, the work was well done at a reasonable price AND NOT ONE DIME OF MY MONEY WILL EVER FIND ITS WAY INTO SPECIALTY SPORTS IN COLORADO SPRINGS AGAIN.

ETA: I want to clarify that the bolt on the rifle had been removed and there was NO WAY he could have shot the weapon.

Ichiban
12-03-2017, 02:03 PM

A couple of years ago I took a hand gun to Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs to have some work done on it. I had already called ahead and the Smith knew I was coming. I walked to the back of the store where he was working on a hunting rifle. He had the rifle in hand and was looking at the scope, I introduced myself and he aimed the rifle right at me. (please note I did not say "pointed it at me" I said aimed)

I stepped to the side and told him that I had the gun here to be worked on and that it was in the box with the part to be changed and that the slide was locked back if he cared to check the chamber. He aimed at me again and told me to just leave the gun on the counter and he’d get to it in a few minutes.

I stepped to the side again and said OK sure I just wanted to make sure you knew the gun was here and he did it again.

Long story short he did the work, I got the gun back in just a few minutes, the work was well done at a reasonable price AND NOT ONE DIME OF MY MONEY WILL EVER FIND ITS WAY INTO SPECIALTY SPORTS IN COLORADO SPRINGS AGAIN.

Well, they do have a reputation to maintain after all.

Some of the most seriously stupid stuff I've ever heard in a gun shop has come from the other side of the counter there.

blues
12-03-2017, 02:04 PM

My neighbor, who is a deputy here in the county, (and not a newb by any means), pulled up by my house yesterday and in the course of showing me a handgun in his truck must've muzzled me at least twice with the loaded firearm.

I did bring it to his attention in the nicest possible fashion under the circumstances but tried to make it clear that it wasn't an acceptable practice. He is a friend and I didn't want to create any ill will by belaboring the issue.

Nobody is exempt apparently.

Lex Luthier
12-03-2017, 02:46 PM
One of the companies I do work for sells hot rod and race car parts. According to the owner, the level of derp rivals that of gun shops.

I am sure he is understating the case.
I repair stringed instruments -primarily acoustic and electric guitars- during the week. I have to put on hearing protection in the back room to escape the derp from up front, and it gets on my shoes anyway.

At least it is not potentially fatal to get muzzled with a Telecaster or Martin D-28.

blues
12-03-2017, 03:09 PM
I am sure he is understating the case.
I repair stringed instruments -primarily acoustic and electric guitars- during the week. I have to put on hearing protection in the back room to escape the derp from up front, and it gets on my shoes anyway.

At least it is not potentially fatal to get muzzled with a Telecaster or Martin D-28.

They dont' call it an "axe" for nothing! ;)