PDA

View Full Version : Things you've found in your gun safe that you forgot you owned...

Casual Friday
12-02-2017, 07:46 PM
I've read about people finding guns and magazines and other cool stuff in their safe that they forgot about and I've never had it happen outside of a random box of ammo or something.

Today while preparing to hit the range and try out my new Primary Arms blemished red dot I got on their Black Friday sale I stumbled across a barreled upper receiver in the very back that I forgot I bought sometime around 2014. It's a PSA upper with a Midwest Industries free float handguard. I threw it on my lower and mounted up the red dot and was happy like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.

You guys ever found anything cool in your safe that you forgot about?

JodyH
12-02-2017, 07:54 PM
I've read about people finding guns and magazines and other cool stuff in their safe that they forgot about and I've never had it happen outside of a random box of ammo or something.

Today while preparing to hit the range and try out my new Primary Arms blemished red dot I got on their Black Friday sale I stumbled across a barreled upper receiver in the very back that I forgot I bought sometime around 2014. It's a PSA upper with a Midwest Industries free float handguard. I threw it on my lower and mounted up the red dot and was happy like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.

You guys ever found anything cool in your safe that you forgot about?
I have a whole safe in a back bedroom closet that I haven't opened in probably 5 years, I cannot remember whats in it other than most of them are old and have wood.

Totem Polar
12-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Happens to me with knives, on a fairly regular basis. Not so much firearms.

Cory
12-02-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm to poor to buy things and then forget I have them.

But I'm really hoping it becomes a problem.

-Cory

Peally
12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I own 3 rifles and 3 pistols, if I start forgetting about them I know I'm getting really old.

okie john
12-02-2017, 09:51 PM

-Cory

Yep. Working on this.

Okie John

Casual Friday
12-02-2017, 11:45 PM

-Cory

I own 3 rifles and 3 pistols, if I start forgetting about them I know I'm getting really old.

Yep. Working on this.

Okie John

Well it was an upper that cost me $199 with a $199 rail on it, not exactly a STG 44.

Corey
12-03-2017, 12:00 AM
A Gen4 Glock 19. After a few minutes of confusion I checked my firearms spread sheet and discovered it was really mine, I had just completely forgotten it. Can you blame me, it's not like it's a Colt 1911 or Smith revolver.:p

Darth_Uno
12-03-2017, 12:17 AM
I found 400 rounds of .45 in an ammo can I thought was empty. Couple weeks ago I found about 300 rounds of de-linked 7.62x51 I forgot I had dumped in a box and stashed up on a shelf.

Also found a $10 bill in my truck today, so everything's coming up Milhouse.

Paul D
12-03-2017, 12:32 AM
I found my Glock 34 with a Surefire X300 and holster. I haven't touched it in 7 years. Light still worked.

gtae07
12-03-2017, 05:37 AM
I wish I had this problem.

Unfortunately, mine runs the other way--I don't know precisely how many magazines I have, and I'm pretty sure I've misplaced the mags for a couple of my .22 rifles.

mmc45414
12-03-2017, 08:36 AM
I bought a VX-2/3-9 for a future project because it was on sale. One of my friends bought a new rifle and didn't have a scope and since I would not be using my new scope for a while I insisted they borrow it.

I really, really wish I could remember which friend that was...

hufnagel
12-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Not me, unfortunately.

There's a great thread over on THR about a dude doing clean up, that's basically having Christmas Morning every day.

blues
12-03-2017, 09:06 AM
For those with less deep pockets, it sort of puts a cheerier spin on Alzheimer's..."Oh look at that? Now where did that come from?"

/sarcasm

OlongJohnson
12-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Not me, unfortunately.

There's a great thread over on THR about a dude doing clean up, that's basically having Christmas Morning every day.

Had to go find it.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/never-know-what-you%E2%80%99re-going-to-find.827424/

Gives a man some things to think about, maybe.

Bratch
12-03-2017, 12:02 PM
I found a 16" BCM uppered AR in the safe one day that took a long time to remember what it was or why it was in my safe.

Casual Friday
12-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Had to go find it.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/never-know-what-you%E2%80%99re-going-to-find.827424/

Hard to believe that some people live like that.

OlongJohnson
12-03-2017, 01:20 PM
I know that knitters, sewing people (didn't want to type sewers...), car and motorcycle people can all get that way. Probably book people, too. I suspect it's a universal human weakness to look at acquisitions one at a time and think, "Do I want this, is this a good deal?" Repeating what seems like a reasonable decision by itself many times over years is what gets it out of control. It's interesting that the THR OP continues to acquire more stuff (brass, ammo, reloading supplies) as the thread progresses, and repeatedly declares his intent to continue buying more guns once the cleanup is complete.

That thread is a good reminder to look at new acquisitions in context of the totality of all the stuff you have, and against the test of the value they will add to your life or needs they will meet that aren't already met otherwise, rather than in isolation or as shiny prizes that you would like to have.

Having sufficient OCD to track everything in a spreadsheet, as someone mentioned here, might help. Being able to look at the bottom line of how much you've spent, or how many of something you have, can be useful in putting on the brakes before something becomes counterproductive, or even destructive to quality of life. That general approach has been shown effective as a strategy for dieters.

Bucky
12-03-2017, 07:36 PM
A few years ago, I bought a P30L to try in competition. Of course, I had to buy 4 extra magazines for a total of 6.

A few months later, a found 6 new P30 magazines in the back of the safe. See, back when the AWB expired, I bought magazines, not only for guns I owned, but guns I might buy. Apparently the P30 was on the list.

mmc45414
12-04-2017, 06:47 AM
I know ... motorcycle people can all get that way.
I used to have a "Motard" (a dirt/Dual Sport bike with street tires on it) and once, after really struggling changing the tires (changing motorcycle tires is pretty much like a bicycle tire, only with more sweating and swearing), I vowed that before the next tire change I would buy a proper bead breaker. I started researching all of the different bead breaker options (shop, portable, really expensive titanium portable) and continued contemplating what would be the best approach, knowing I had until the next tire change.

A couple days later I glanced up in the garage and saw, sitting on a shelf, my bead breaker.

gtae07
12-04-2017, 07:53 AM
I used to have a "Motard" (a dirt/Dual Sport bike with street tires on it) and once, after really struggling changing the tires (changing motorcycle tires is pretty much like a bicycle tire, only with more sweating and swearing), I vowed that before the next tire change I would buy a proper bead breaker. I started researching all of the different bead breaker options (shop, portable, really expensive titanium portable) and continued contemplating what would be the best approach, knowing I had until the next tire change.

A couple days later I glanced up in the garage and saw, sitting on a shelf, my bead breaker.

I've done that more than once. I've also "lost" a tool or item, gone looking for a while, given up, and bought a replacement... and then found my old one within a couple of days.

My bigger problem isn't accumulation of stuff, it's that I'm allergic to the process of organization and "stuff cleaning". If I try to set up an organization system I wind up like Wall-E trying to categorize a spork--I go back and forth trying to figure out where this item should go before finally just giving up and putting it by itself in an open spot on the shelf. The problem is that I do that with everything that doesn't have super-clear distinctions.

I also have a tendency to stop work and just leave it as is before coming back later, instead of cleaning up in between work sessions, because otherwise my setup/cleanup time would exceed work time.

LSP552
12-04-2017, 08:55 AM
I tend to find magazines, not guns. I found 3 new P225 magazines in my last move.

hufnagel
12-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Had to go find it.

That's it. Gunny is my spirit animal. :D

I go through spurts of disarray followed by tornado like cleanup.

OlongJohnson
12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
I'm generally very organized. But I am into hot rods, guns and motorcycles. Oh, and books, too.

I had my first realization of this back in college. Moving out of the dorm for the summer, I had two moderately sized boxes or bags of normal stuff for the summer. Wouldn't even fill a back seat. And next to that, a small mountain of car-related stuff that I would need to take care of life for three months.

LockedBreech
12-04-2017, 12:50 PM
I don't FORGET per se, but sometimes a long time goes buy (even a year+) and I'll think "Man, I haven't shot that gun in a while" and those reunions are kinda fun too.

I do find optics, magazines, holsters, and accessories that I've forgotten. Especially Beretta 92-series magazines, since I own 5 of the things.

NEPAKevin
12-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Hard to believe that some people live like that.

Know of at least two more or less recent situations where guys I know were tasked with dealing with the accumulated estates of hoarder/prepper type seniors who passed away with no relatives. Statements like "more laundry detergent than Sam's Club," "buckets of obsolete/antique brass that (dude who knows firearms minutiae) can not identify" and "I'm just glad the place wan't booby trapped" become common place.

hufnagel
12-04-2017, 02:37 PM
If you read the entire thread, you'll most likely glean that, life has given him some interesting twists and turns, such that things were getting away from him a bit. I know i can relate to that.

theJanitor
12-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Never happened, and likely never will.

That THR thread almost makes me want to sign up, just to see it

JRB
12-07-2017, 12:36 PM
I found a Hungarian M44 Mosin-Nagant I'd forgotten about, hidden among the entirely too-many other Mosins I own - though these days one Mosin is almost too many. But they were fun rifles to collect and plink with when M44's were $59-79 shipped and 880rd crates of ammo could be had for 6-8cpr shipped.

A friend of mine from back then took the college-budget milsurp game to the big leagues after getting his BS in Mech E. At one point in time he owned over 100 Mosins, having bought dozens by the crate for $35-$50ea in search of rare/interesting examples.
Interestingly, Mosins with the bolt hanging open can actually be stacked in a gun safe in such a way as to fit the advertised number of guns. We joked about that being the uniform standard 'gun' as a unit of measurement for gun safes.

Short of a spreadsheet with SN's I'd have no idea how to keep them straight, short of doing arms-room style buttstock numbers or hang tags. I haven't talked to him in years, but I could see him becoming much like the gentleman documenting his re-discoveries on that THR thread.

Poconnor
12-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I found a really nice S&W model 63 in the back of my safe once. Since I already had a model 34 i had completely forgotten about it.

willie
12-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Winchester 1300 riot gun. $100 bill. 1981 picture of me receiving Texas prison system pistol trophy. 1977 picture of me firing a S&W 9mm sub gun on loan to me from a sheriff's dept(Mississippi where else?). Picture of me sitting in an electric chair. Picture of me pulling the trap door handle on a court house gallows.

Casual Friday
12-09-2017, 08:48 AM
I found two brand new Sig Pro mags yesterday. Glad I still got the Sig Pro.

That Guy
12-09-2017, 05:37 PM
I have a whole safe in a back bedroom closet that I haven't opened in probably 5 years, I cannot remember whats in it other than most of them are old and have wood.

...I really hate some of you lot right now. Especially JodyH. :p

(The only relevant story I have is that I have somehow managed to misplace a very large knife (R.T.A.K.) somewhere. Or it was stolen. This bothers me. It was an expensive and quite good knife. But the other way around - finding stuff I didn't know I had - that never happens.)

JodyH
12-09-2017, 06:29 PM
...I really hate some of you lot right now. Especially JodyH. :p
Just for you guys I opened the back closet safe.
Looks like it's full of dusty shotguns, a couple .22's, an AR, and two boxes with pistols in them (one labeled Ruger, the other a S&W revolver box)
I couldn't get the door all the way open because the wife has a bunch of quilting shit piled up on the floor of the closet but I could take a picture of the inside, so I still don't really know whats in the pistol boxes.
Here's what it looks like is in the safe:
Benelli Nova Tactical
Benelli Nova bird hunting length barrel
Winchester 1300
Remington 870 youth 20ga.
Remington 870 express 12ga.
Remington .22 semi-auto of some kind with a laminated stock
Henry Golden Boy .22
Bushmaster AR from the early 2000's
I think the pistol cases have a Ruger LCR, LC9, LCP, J-frame, a K-frame, maybe a Ruger Security Six. But I can't open the door wide enough to get them off the shelf.

Bigghoss
12-09-2017, 11:51 PM
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 guns. I've never found one I've forgotten about but I sure can't list them all off the top of my head. And I can't remember which guns are in which safes either. If I want to shoot a particular gun I have to go looking for it.

Gearqueer
12-10-2017, 10:23 PM
The other day I found my old Ka-Bar in the bottom of the safe. I forgot all about the old girl. A lot of the finish was worn down on the blade, and the leather grip and sheath are very dark from getting wet and drying out a thousand times. The leather in the grip shrunk after a while and I made a spacer out of MRE wrapper. It's still in there. I used it a lot for mundane tasks, but it was always a young Marine's safety blanket in case my rifle went T/U. I slept with it on my chest in a sleeping bag many nights out in Indian country before Iraq had permanent bases. Sorry for reminiscing online, but I think it's in the spirit of the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk