PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to read when your not reading a book (or PF)?

MGW
12-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Sometimes I get in a rut with my reading. I like reading things that are interesting but don't want to dig into another book right away. So what do you like to read when you're not reading a book? Edit to add I'm kind of looking for things that aren't gun or self deffense oriented.

Casual Friday
12-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Sometimes you just have to put down the biographies and historical books, pour a glass of whiskey and read a Mack Bolan novel.

holmes168
12-01-2017, 08:09 PM
I have a tendency to read a classic/serious work, then rip through three or four other books.
For instance- I read Unbroken, then whip thru a Bosch book and one written by Jo Nesbo.
Currently reading Don Quixote, but spending majority of time on Game of Thrones book 3.
Basically a hard read, then some easy stuff.
Oh- and PF.

BobM
12-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Sometimes you just have to put down the biographies and historical books, pour a glass of whiskey and read a Mack Bolan novel.

I read a bunch of those back in the 80s.

I like reading books about the Colonial Era and the westward expansion.

JDD
12-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Sometimes I get in a rut with my reading. I like reading things that are interesting but don't want to dig into another book right away. So what do you like to read when you're not reading a book? Edit to add I'm kind of looking for things that aren't gun or self deffense oriented.

The news mostly, although it tends to not be as relaxing as it could be. I have an Economist subscription, which has fantastic writing, but it can be dry and dense; so not really a break.

A better answer is my kindle. My mindless entertainment is easier reads like Jack Reacher books, or pulp science fiction. Stuff that does not make me stop and mentally digest. I have burned through a mountain of random 99cent amazon kindle stuff. I am not sure what you mean by a rut in your reading, but I find that fiction engages entirely different parts of my brain than more... focused writing.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-01-2017, 11:26 PM
I have a tendency to read a classic/serious work, then rip through three or four other books.
For instance- I read Unbroken, then whip thru a Bosch book and one written by Jo Nesbo.
Currently reading Don Quixote, but spending majority of time on Game of Thrones book 3.
Basically a hard read, then some easy stuff.
Oh- and PF.

I do something like this. I'll read a bunch of stuff that's either technical, factual, or historical...then I'll rest my brain and read a novel for fun.

But I can get really particular about fiction and sometimes I spend an entire book just writing a mental essay about everything I don't like about the writing style. Consequently, I think I read around 10:1 NF:F.

Recently I enjoyed Chang and Halliday's Mao: The Unknown Story. That biography is not kind to the pudgy chairman, at all.

schüler
12-02-2017, 01:28 AM
Stratfor, Janes.com free stuff, Drudge, red team blogs. Congressional activity apps and state rep sites. Hobby-related publications, saved podcasts and user groups. I save interesting online atricles I don't have time to read as PDFs to a Dropbox account folder.

I've restarted my research to lock down smartphone data traffic. With my former local-to-phone VPN/firewall software I was able to see the ridiculously constant stream of data being shared to Amazon, Google, etc. servers and block them individually. Unfortunately subsequent phone updates sooooomehow caused blocked comm attempts to be counted as actual mobile data usage times a large factor.

I've thought about a law that prevents *any* user data from being stored and shared without voluntary, individual consent that could NOT be part of boilerplate user agreements. Everything from online ad tracking to toll road activity. I'm sure that would poke some bears...

RevolverRob
12-02-2017, 01:57 AM
I have digital subscriptions to:

Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Hot Rod Magazine
Racecar Engineering

And when I'm not reading one of those, a fiction or non-fiction book, or PF, I can be found surfing through SpeedHunters.com or reading car build threads across the internets.

Guns aren't even really my main hobby of choice, wheeled vehicles are. But there isn't the equivalent of P-F in the car world, that I've found. So, I like to hang here, because I find it more entertaining (and less derp'ed up) than car forums.

MGW
12-02-2017, 06:50 AM
I have digital subscriptions to:

Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Hot Rod Magazine
Racecar Engineering

And when I'm not reading one of those, a fiction or non-fiction book, or PF, I can be found surfing through SpeedHunters.com or reading car build threads across the internets.

Guns aren't even really my main hobby of choice, wheeled vehicles are. But there isn't the equivalent of P-F in the car world, that I've found. So, I like to hang here, because I find it more entertaining (and less derp'ed up) than car forums.

What's your preferred digital subscription reading device? I have a paperwhite for books. Haven't dabbled with digital subscriptions yet.

RJ
12-02-2017, 06:53 AM
What's your preferred digital subscription reading device? I have a paperwhite for books. Haven't dabbled with digital subscriptions yet.

I read on my iPad using a Kindle App.

My library offers ‘overdrive’, a digital media portal that provides a link to Amazon during the checkout process. Works pretty well. I haven’t bought a paper product in...a long time, certainly since I got my first iPad in 2011.

Hambo
12-02-2017, 07:41 AM
I check Kindle Unlimited's free magazines and read anything that looks interesting. That has ranged from car stuff to sailing. I have Kindle subscriptions to Hot Rod, Backpacker, and Florida Sportsman. I also read some fishing articles in print or online. Email newsletters from Bassresource.com, Midsouth Shooters Supply, and Greg Ellefritz.

Dismas316
12-02-2017, 09:01 AM
This forum.

I'll scan a few others as well but most of the them I end up just shaking shake my head and click away. If I can't learn something, or answer a question to help someone I'm moving on. Most of the time I'm learning something on this site and am a sponge to all those who probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. No desire to argue which caliber or gun is "best" etc. I don't post much on any of them that often anymore.

My iPad is the main vehicle I use for media content (hence all my typos) I used to be a political junkie but find that almost impossible to read anymore. I'll scan townhall & breitbart but that's about it. I'll scan the sports pages during college football and baseball season, done with the NFL, actually have been before the idiocy stated this year. I read some industry rags in my profession still (finance).

I used to love zite as a reader that I could set up anything and everything from an interest standpoint and haven't really found many to replace it. Flipbook has been ok and I use Newsify, but they aren't the same. Open to any suggestions on that front.

Grey
12-02-2017, 09:50 AM
I actually found myself going back to paper products for books. There is something about the experience that I don't get with digital media (And I have a ton of e books...)

Usually reading a sci fi novel, zombie survival is my guilty pleasure. Reading no surrender currently, the story of the Japanese soldier who didn't know the war was over And continued fighting for 30 odd years.

Other forums usually involve knives as that was my hobby when I was unable to buy guns.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

BN
12-02-2017, 10:02 AM
I have a library card. I want real books. ;)

I always have a book I am reading. I switch off from one genre to another. Mostly fiction of some sort. When someone mentions a book on PF, I order it from my local library.

Darth_Uno
12-02-2017, 11:06 AM
I read ebooks vs real books 10:1. My local library has an ebook system set up where you temporarily download ebooks for free. It's a weird deal where if enough copies are "checked out" you go on a waiting list, and if you don't "return" it in time you get late fees. Not a huge catalog, but it's free.

Besides the local small-town newspaper (which isn't online at all) I don't read much in actual print any more. As far as light reading, there's a couple science blogs and websites I hit up just to see if I can clone myself yet or time travel back and buy Apple stock.

Currently reading Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. I'd say I mostly like sci-fi/fantasy, with the catch that I don't like most books in that genre, but all my favorite books/series are sci-fi/fantasy.

RevolverRob
12-02-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm low tech - I just download the apps from the Apple Store and install them on my iPad.

beenalongtime
12-02-2017, 01:28 PM
I do switch from technical stuff (that makes you fall asleep when you have to read as late as I get the chance to) to novels. Sometimes I pick up a magazine which has articles of interest (and no, not just a magazine people say they read :p).

Other times I will go online to look at jokes sites, or have video's (music, books on tape, etc) playing in the background (lack of time sucks).

RevolverRob
12-02-2017, 02:35 PM
For those of you into cars and/or racing - Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports are great rags (from the same publisher, family founded and run magazines) - And more-over they have a pretty good subscription offer - digital and print for $20/year each magazine, or if you wait, you can usually get both magazines for $30/year. https://ssl.palmcoastd.com/29701/apps/ORDERXSELL?ikey=I**C04

I just mention it, because I remembered before this is how I ended up with both digital and physical copies of the magazine. And physical copies are nice to have (I have a ton of GRMs going back almost 15 years).

11B10
12-02-2017, 03:00 PM
I haven't had time to read real books since I started working again. As a result, my reading is what I call "required reading." It starts with pistol forum, and includes just about anything by Greg Ellifritz, Claude Werner, ACLDN. Also, American Handgunner (although it's a 50/50 split between the articles and the great pictures), RealClear Politics. I'm also salivating over the future release of stuff written by DB, who has said he is writing.

PhillySoldier
12-04-2017, 01:03 PM
I have a rather long commute to and from work. So for the last few years Ive been listening to a lot of audio books. The books download right to my cell phone and with Bluetooth technology my phone wirelessly connects to my car radio, speakers in my home-gym and even to my shooting headphones. So between drive back and forth, lunch in the car, exercise at home and yes I even listen to music or a book while I shoot, I go through 3-5 hours per day of reading material. Because of this I generally like book series, the longer the better. I dislike being done a book in 2-3 days and jumping right to something completely different.

MGW
12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
I have a rather long commute to and from work. So for the last few years Ive been listening to a lot of audiobooks. The books download right to my cell phone and with Bluetooth technology my phone wirelessly connects to my car radio, speakers in my home-gym and even to my shooting headphones. So between drive back and forth, lunch in the car, exercise at home and yes I even listen to music or a book while I shoot, I go through 3-5 hours per day of reading material. Because of this I generally like book series, the longer the better. I dislike being done a book in 2-3 days and jumping right to something completely different.

I'm not going to say I'm into audiobooks but I do listen to them occasionally. I have a 30-40 minute commute twice a day and sometimes I need a break from podcasts. I also occasionally just like silence on the way to or from work. It's nice to just hear my own thoughts from time to time.