PDA

View Full Version : Hippie diet?

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 09:41 AM
For lack of a better term. I am calling my new diet program the hippie diet. I have started a new diet. Which basically revolves around eating natural unprocessed foods. I have also learned that some of the things I have ate in my diet before are a serious no go now. I have struggled with ditching belly fat and my metabolism is shit. My good friend told me this was my best choice.

Interested in seeing if any of you have done this and if so do you have any good foods that I could pick up? The diet would seem so simple. But finding legitimate unprocessed or foods without some sort of additive is pretty difficult to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual Friday
11-29-2017, 09:52 AM
That's not a hippie diet, it's just called eating right.

Chicken, fish, beef, vegetables. Avoid things that come in boxes. I've lost 70 lbs since last fall eating this way and working out 7 days a week. I lift weights every day, and train BJJ and Muay Thai a few times a week.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 10:04 AM
High protein.
High fat.
High leafy greens.
Low carbs.
No sugar.
Spend all your time in the meat and produce section of the store.

LittleLebowski
11-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Don't be afraid of natural fats. Avoid grains, sugars, and dairy.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 10:14 AM
I eat a lot of eggs, probably 4-6 boiled eggs a day.
I eat a lot of avocados, usually 1 or 2 a day.
I use a lot of salted ghee (clarified butter) as a condiment and to "fry" things in.
I eat a lot of tuna packaged in water, and a lot of chicken and beef.
I have a lot of green leafy salad (with an egg, meat and avocado in it). For dressing I use avocado oils.
I do not go zero carbs because I work out hard 4 days a week and a few carbs help with recovery and sleep.
I go as close to zero on sugar as I can.

What I don't do is have a restrictive diet that's doomed to fail.
If I want a steak, baked potato, beer and a small dessert... I eat it with no regrets.
I just don't deliberately eat carbs/sugar more than once or twice a week.

scw2
11-29-2017, 10:47 AM

I remember in the past people worrying about heavy metals and such if eating a lot of tuna. Is that something that the general population needs to worry about, or only for pregnant women?

Honest question and not a critique of your diet in any way. :)

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
I remember in the past people worrying about heavy metals and such if eating a lot of tuna. Is that something that the general population needs to worry about, or only for pregnant women?

Honest question and not a critique of your diet in any way. :)

I have got sick from canned tuna before. Mercury poisoning. But that was the canned stuff.

Really appreciate the help so far. I want to make this a diet where I can enjoy eating. Not some torture test.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
I grew up in the 70's with lead paint and playing with mercury... tuna doesn't scare me at all.

breakingtime91
11-29-2017, 10:55 AM
https://www.plantoeat.com/planner

^ my wife and I are changing our diet, much like you. This website is awesome for putting in recipes, making a plan for the week, and it even generates the shopping list for you! I am currently cutting out all grains/wheat and dairy again. Dairy is kind of hard to do but hey, its bad for my skin (its a inflammatory). Good on you for trying to eat better, we could all do a little better for sure.

This topic is one reason I am getting back into hunting, really hard to go more organic then harvesting your own animal and feeding your family.

spinmove_
11-29-2017, 10:57 AM
A hippie diet would be vegetarian to vegan in nature and would be striving to “juice” that in every conceivable way.

What you’re trying to do is eat as many whole and I processed foods as possible which really is the way all of us should be doing it. As has been mentioned before spend your time in the meat and produce sections. Eat grains, sugars, and dairy sparingly. Want salad dressing? Use olive or grape seed oil.

The fewer “ingredients” in your food the better. Natural complex carbs are good like rice and potatoes. If you want bread, eat it sparingly and/or make it yourself. As a general rule you should probably eat more vegetables than anything else. Fruits aren’t the devil, they make great snacks and desserts. And by desserts I mean “have an apple or some raspberries” not “eat half a cherry pie”.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Peally
11-29-2017, 10:59 AM
This topic is one reason I am getting back into hunting, really hard to go more organic then harvesting your own animal

Cannibalism is way better bro, it's recycling.

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 11:00 AM
A hippie diet would be vegetarian to vegan in nature and would be striving to “juice” that in every conceivable way.

What you’re trying to do is eat as many whole and I processed foods as possible which really is the way all of us should be doing it. As has been mentioned before spend your time in the meat and produce sections. Eat grains, sugars, and dairy sparingly. Want salad dressing? Use olive or grape seed oil.

The fewer “ingredients” in your food the better. Natural complex carbs are good like rice and potatoes. If you want bread, eat it sparingly and/or make it yourself. As a general rule you should probably eat more vegetables than anything else. Fruits aren’t the devil, they make great snacks and desserts. And by desserts I mean “have an apple or some raspberries” not “eat half a cherry pie”.

I agree on the veggie thing. The “hippie” thing was more the all natural deal. A poor taste at humor you could say.

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Also if a mod wants to change the title, I understand.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2017, 11:33 AM
We try to eat that way as much as possible. With some folks, diet approaches an almost religious fervor. We aren't quite that serious about it, but we try to opt for better options when we can. It helps that we have land, can grow produce, have a neighbor that keeps chickens, are friends with organic farmers, etc. I'm super bummed the freezer is empty this year. Wild meat leaves us feeling satiated earlier than other meat and we feel good when we eat it.

One thing we've noticed is that when we are travelling, and eat crappier, processed foods, we often have a feeling sort of like being mildly hung over after a couple of days. I don't think it's just the stress of travelling, I think it really is something about the food. Part of it is that we dont' add much salt to our food, and it abounds in the outside world. I think there's some other stuff at play too.

Casual Friday
11-29-2017, 11:34 AM
I also eat a lot of eggs. We have chickens so they're never in short supply. I also start off the day most days with Kale and spinach shakes. You can get a whole lot of greens into your system this way, way more than if you tried to sit down and eat them. I mix in berries and protein powder. First time you drink one though you better be near a bathroom. Those greens hit the intestines and it's mass exodus.

David S.
11-29-2017, 11:38 AM
You want hippie?
If you haven't already check out the documentary Food, Inc. on NetFlix or Amazon Prime. Check out a Joel Salatin (http://www.polyfacefarms.com/) on YouTube. Joe Rogan did a good podcast a couple weeks ago with Chris Kresser (https://youtu.be/bYOIhmZ0Osg).

I started down this rabbit hole a couple years ago. I find it pretty fascinating how much of our food absolute garbage, even the stuff on the edges of the grocery store. The vast majority of meat, egg and dairy animals are raised and slaughtered in inhumane ways. They are fed food they are not designed to eat and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics (despite what the packaging says) to keep their miserable selves alive just long enough. Organic, free range and cage free don't mean what you think it means.

Modern agriculture is destroying the environment. Top soil and biomass are being eroded destroyed. Fertile soil is being turned to dust and blown away. Never mind that well managed grasslands and forests make great carbon sinks for all those terrible CO2 emissions. Our agriculture policy in this country (all over the world, really) is absolutely destructive. It incentivizes big destructive corporations (Tyson, Smithfield, ConAgra, Monsanto, etc) and makes it very difficult and expensive for small regenerative farmers to do business.

I'm not proposing new policy here. I'm not saying "something should be done." We shouldn't put the people who $*%*ed the system up in charge of fixing it. I am suggesting that you, as an individual, voluntarily choose to learn about this and then individually and voluntarily act. [/rant]

Look at ingredients in your packaged foods. Educate yourself. Everything the government told you (food pyramid, etc.) is a lie. So is a lot of the AMA advice. Eat a lot of veggies, meat and eggs. Don't be afraid of real fats. It's pretty difficult to overeat that stuff. Dairy is not a perfect food and fruit isn't free (Weight Watchers).

Ideally we would be growing our own food, or at least buying it locally from known farmers. Do the best you can. Buy cookbooks and learn to cook from scratch. A lot. It really is the best way to control what you're eating. I like resources like Alton Brown (Good Eats) and 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss that actually teach technique over recipe. Even if you make your own food with evil pasta and bread, it's still going to be better than the crap you get at Olive Garden or from a can. It's cheaper too.

Remember that processed food and fast food is specifically designed to be hyper-rewarding to your pallet. Moving towards a hippie diet is difficult because real food isn't.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm not a calorie counter.
What I do is moderate my calories by how I eat.
I start my meals with a leafy green salad and a large glass of water.
Then I put a serving of vegetables on my plate and eat them.
Then I put my protein on the plate and eat that.
Finally I get around to the carbs if I have any.
They key for me is eating my food in that order and getting my portions in that order.
I get mostly filled up on water, greens and protein that way and the carbs kind of self limit because I'm full by the time I get to them.
I try not to fill the plate and then start going through down the list... it's too easy to "clean your plate" whether you're actually still hungry or not.
Works for me anyway.

JHC
11-29-2017, 12:34 PM
I agree on the veggie thing. The “hippie” thing was more the all natural deal. A poor taste at humor you could say.

It got the ball rolling just fine. :D

But you are now eating like a primitive. A paleo primitive.

But yeah, we've been eating pretty close to paleo for some years too. My wife is also pretty "organic", grassfed etc etc focused too.

I cheat like a boss with the alchohol but what the hell.

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 12:46 PM
If you wish to change the title of your thread, just ask. We don’t generally make editorial changes unless they are requested.

Okay thank you. Maybe if there is to much pushback on the hippie term. I do not want to tick anyone off over a stupid title thats all.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2017, 12:49 PM
You want hippie?
If you haven't already check out the documentary Food, Inc. on NetFlix or Amazon Prime. Check out a Joel Salatin (http://www.polyfacefarms.com/) on YouTube. Joe Rogan did a good podcast a couple weeks ago with Chris Kresser (https://youtu.be/bYOIhmZ0Osg).

I started down this rabbit hole a couple years ago. I find it pretty fascinating how much of our food absolute garbage, even the stuff on the edges of the grocery store. The vast majority of meat, egg and dairy animals are raised and slaughtered in inhumane ways. They are fed food they are not designed to eat and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics (despite what the packaging says) to keep their miserable selves alive just long enough. Organic, free range and cage free don't mean what you think it means.

Modern agriculture is destroying the environment. Top soil and biomass are being eroded destroyed. Fertile soil is being turned to dust and blown away. Never mind that well managed grasslands and forests make great carbon sinks for all those terrible CO2 emissions. Our agriculture policy in this country (all over the world, really) is absolutely destructive. It incentivizes big destructive corporations (Tyson, Smithfield, ConAgra, Monsanto, etc) and makes it very difficult and expensive for small regenerative farmers to do business.

I'm not proposing new policy here. I'm not saying "something should be done." We shouldn't put the people who $*%*ed the system up in charge of fixing it. I am suggesting that you, as an individual, voluntarily choose to learn about this and then individually and voluntarily act. [/rant]

Look at ingredients in your packaged foods. Educate yourself. Everything the government told you (food pyramid, etc.) is a lie. So is a lot of the AMA advice. Eat a lot of veggies, meat and eggs. Don't be afraid of real fats. It's pretty difficult to overeat that stuff. Dairy is not a perfect food and fruit isn't free (Weight Watchers).

Ideally we would be growing our own food, or at least buying it locally from known farmers. Do the best you can. Buy cookbooks and learn to cook from scratch. A lot. It really is the best way to control what you're eating. I like resources like Alton Brown (Good Eats) and 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss that actually teach technique over recipe. Even if you make your own food with evil pasta and bread, it's still going to be better than the crap you get at Olive Garden or from a can. It's cheaper too.

Remember that processed food and fast food is specifically designed to be hyper-rewarding to your pallet. Moving towards a hippie diet is difficult because real food isn't.

Preach it!

I think many people reject what you just side, because they reflexively associate it with a kind of "tree hugger" liberal agenda. This is one case where the folks that get labeled "liberal" are absolutely right. Our food industry is insidiously poisoning us. Big Macs kill way more people every year than bump stocks.

txdpd
11-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Don't go shopping when you're hungry. That's the easiest way to derail any diet.

Don't wait until you run out of food to go shopping.

You're better off getting a burger, and eating a little bit of crap before you go shopping, than shopping hungry and leaving with a cart full of crap.

IMO that's 90% of succeeding right there.

JHC
11-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Okay thank you. Maybe if there is to much pushback on the hippie term. I do not want to tick anyone off over a stupid title thats all.

Or double down and replace "hippie" with "hipster"?

OOOOHHHH :D Hey I'm happy to be hipster about paleo, craft beers, craft bourbons, good coffee, my beard.

Naw it's all good.

jeep45238
11-29-2017, 01:45 PM
In all seriousness, a program is out there that will be easy to follow and stick with your requirements. It's called Whole 30, eliminates the stuff that adds a disportionate amount of carbs/starches by weight/volume, and there ya go. The book should be rentable at your local library, comes with recepies, but that's easy to google if you want. You will have to do meal planning and take a day to prep things out unless you want to loose a fair amount of time each day (trade 1 day for several hours vs. 7 days for 1+ hour).

Cooking in an electric pressure cooker was a god send during this process, and really sped up cooking every meal. We bought a second one after going through this, and use them both routinely now for the same meal.

I did it last month (hardest thing was no alcohol). I maintained 13% body fat before/during/after, but lost inches everywhere. Needed to drop a few belt notches, wrist watch needed a link taken out, etc. I'd imagine if I was higher in the body fat to start with I would be a lot lower.

David S.
11-29-2017, 02:01 PM
I LOVE my electric pressure cooker.

JHC
11-29-2017, 03:19 PM
In all seriousness, a program is out there that will be easy to follow and stick with your requirements. It's called Whole 30, eliminates the stuff that adds a disportionate amount of carbs/starches by weight/volume, and there ya go. The book should be rentable at your local library, comes with recepies, but that's easy to google if you want. You will have to do meal planning and take a day to prep things out unless you want to loose a fair amount of time each day (trade 1 day for several hours vs. 7 days for 1+ hour).

Cooking in an electric pressure cooker was a god send during this process, and really sped up cooking every meal. We bought a second one after going through this, and use them both routinely now for the same meal.

I did it last month (hardest thing was no alcohol). I maintained 13% body fat before/during/after, but lost inches everywhere. Needed to drop a few belt notches, wrist watch needed a link taken out, etc. I'd imagine if I was higher in the body fat to start with I would be a lot lower.

Whole 30 is pretty strict but I've seen two people have quite dramatic results from it. And eating healthy the whole time of course.

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Ordered, thank you. Ill use any tool I can get.

jeep45238
11-29-2017, 03:30 PM
You want hippie?

Imagine being married to a dietitian- the huge side benefit of her food obsession is the ease of which recepie books get filled with vetted good recepies. But seriously - I’m with you on it. My current favorite is the book 1/10th acre farm.

Cookie Monster
11-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Right on. My wife and I love our hippie food.

We get our meat from farmers and try to hit the organic when we can - more for environmental issues then health but that is a rabbit hole.

Breakfast is eggs fried in lard, lunch is a salad with protein, dinner is protein with vegetable. Snacks are Clifbars (not really non-processed), nuts, popcorn, and homemade fruit leather. I often with hit a high sugar treat, it is what my body craves at times.

Shop the outer ring of the grocery store, don't bring the juke food home. Eat junk food once and a while, you won't feel good, and it will encourage you to keep on the path. Make small changes and keep them going.

Joe in PNG
11-29-2017, 03:44 PM
One blessing of having MSG triggered IBSD is that I can't eat most junk food.
I've also lost my taste for sweet sodas

Casual Friday
11-29-2017, 03:55 PM
One blessing of having MSG triggered IBSD is that I can't eat most junk food.
I've also lost my taste for sweet sodas

I've never been a soda drinker, but the first thing I noticed when I had my first cheat meal after eating clean for 2 months was how much salt and how much sugar things have that I used to eat all the time. I used to be able to kill a whole Costco cinnamon roll, now I can't even eat half of one.

jeep45238
11-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Yup - I'm a cheapskate, and if someone has the foundation to setup our little garden up for success and feed us more, and cost us less money, then I'm all for using it for my food stuffs.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Perhaps you're thinking of a 1/4 acre? There are numerous books out there describing how much food can be grown on the typical 1/4 acre suburban lot. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Maximizing-Your-Mini-Farm-Self-Sufficiency/dp/B015X4O5SU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511990011&sr=8-4&keywords=1%2F4+acre+farm (https://www.amazon.com/Maximizing-Your-Mini-Farm-Self-Sufficiency/dp/B015X4O5SU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511990011&sr=8-4&keywords=1%2F4+acre+farm)

I've read most of these books. They are inspiring AND there is a certain amount of flim flam going on. It's mathematically feasible in many climates to grow enough food to support, say, a family of four on a 1/4 acre but it depends on a large number of things, and everything needs to go just right.

There is a HUGE market for books, seminars, videos on workshops that purport to teach people how to be "self sufficient" on small parcels of land. Vastly more people are supporting themselves writing these books and conducting these classes than are actually living off their land. I've often joked that permaculture is a multi level marketing scheme with vegetables.

My wife and I bought six acres four years ago, and it's been an adventure. First, it's extremely difficult to work a full time job, and do all this stuff, but you have to have a full time job to pay for the land. Second, there's a huge learning curve to this, and you'll see crops fail, fruit trees die, and etc.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. Every calorie we provide for ourselves is a win. It's just that it isn't as easy as many of these books and etc make it out to be. Also, working on our land is much healthier than sitting on our asses watching TV.

jeep45238
11-29-2017, 04:55 PM
I meant 1/10th - the less acrage, the less overall work to tend to, and since I'm the 'planner' for house things (sans decoration), less headaches. Stuff every inch with co-habitual supporting plants, and give me food with the minimal amount of weeding, and little to no watering.

Trukinjp13
11-29-2017, 04:57 PM
I meant 1/10th - the less acrage, the less overall work to tend to, and since I'm the 'planner' for house things (sans decoration), less headaches. Stuff every inch with co-habitual supporting plants, and give me food with the minimal amount of weeding, and little to no watering.

Sounds nice, but
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171129/33790e222f02ac9981af37736d236724.jpg

jeep45238
11-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Sounds nice, but
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171129/33790e222f02ac9981af37736d236724.jpg

Which is the time for reading, seed catalogue perusal, and beer - not for planting. Look at it as a supporting block for clean eating. That said, we're not going to do any gardening next year - we'll be road mobile next summer, ala Rich.

M2CattleCo
11-29-2017, 06:50 PM
For all the no sugar comments:

I eat pretty clean but could always do better, I have a sweet tooth for things like dates, figs, grapes, pineapple. I eat some almost every day.

Are those sorts a thing no-go because of the sugar?

Casual Friday
11-29-2017, 06:56 PM

I eat pretty clean but could always do better, I have a sweet tooth for things like dates, figs, grapes, pineapple. I eat some almost every day.

Smarter people than me say that sugar is sugar, but it is not as bad when it comes from fruit.

spinmove_
11-29-2017, 07:08 PM

People who are sugar nazis will tell you that you shouldn’t eat fruit. Fruit is not only sweet, because it has a little sugar in it, which is natural sugar btw, but it’s also packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

So if you want to eat fruit, go for it. Just don’t turn into Steve Jobs and make it the ONLY thing you eat. Everything in moderation and all that. But I will say that, in general, your average piece of fruit has less sugar than your average candy bar.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 07:09 PM

The glycemic index of 250ml of Coca-Cola is 63 the load is 16.
The glycemic index of grapes is 59 the load is 11.
Snickers bar index is 51 the load is 18.
The higher the index (glucose=100) the quicker the spike in blood sugar levels.
The load is how big of a spike it'll be.
A load of below 10 is considered low (good) a load of above 20 is high.

Basically Coca-Cola and grapes both give you a spike about the same time, but the soda will raise it slightly higher.
A Snickers bar takes longer to spike your blood sugar but the spike is greater.

Boiled white rice.... index 72... load 29... !!!

M2CattleCo
11-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Wow! I've never paid attention to glycemic index.

I like fruit, but I guess I should cut back a little.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 07:44 PM

The glycemic load is what you should pay attention to.
It's basically how the sugar and carbs work together to screw you. LOL.
A moderate glycemic index but a low load is no big deal (that's where a lot of fruit is). Eat in moderation.
Anything with a high load is going to cause problems eventually. Russet potatoes and white rice are monsters when it comes to load due to the carb content.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2017, 07:54 PM

What I remember reading is that because many fruits deliver sugar along with a healthy dose of fiber, it slows down the absorption so the index is lower.

Liquid sugar in the form of soda or fruit juices is like mainlining it. I do love a co-cola though.

David S.
11-29-2017, 08:08 PM

I think there's a lot of value in a 30-, 60-, 90- day "cleanse" diet, like this Whole30 program.

-It's an attainable short to medium length goal.
-You're not committing a year or your whole life to it.
-Your family and friends will generally recognize and respect it.
-Nobody can be puritanical for long. But you can for a month or three.

This might be a great New Year's Resolution. That gives you a month to learn and enjoy the holidays. Trying to start a diet now would be disastrous and disappointing for most.

A couple points I think are important to keep in mind.
- You are swimming against a very strong current. The food industry is designed to make you fail.
- Once you eliminate starches, carbs and sugar: There's still a ton of good food options. None of them are as convenient as a box of Mac & Cheese or Popeye's.
- Planning is a huge part of this. Leftovers is a big help.

Currently making Turkey Pho (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html) in the pressure cooker. Has noodles, but healthier than pizza.

Tools:
I have the 10qt version of this Power Cooker XL. (https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pressure-Cooker-XL-Quart/dp/B00MZZXO4W/) If I had it to do over again, I'd get a Chard Carey cooker. (https://www.amazon.com/CAREY-DPC-9SS-Pressure-Canner-Cooker/dp/B00VTL8STO/) Both are capable of pressure cooking and pressure canning. The Carey will can quart jars, the XL only pint jars. If pressure canning isn't important, there's the ubiquitous InstaPot (https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/).

Some sort of Vacuum Sealer. I currently have a FoodSaver from Costco, but will probably look into a "commercial" model from Cabela's when this one dies. To save money, we buy the knock off bags off Ebay. We pack leftovers and premade meals in a Ziplock small square (https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-179966-Container-Small-Square/dp/B00KRMT9CQ/), and freeze if necessary. They fit perfectly in a quart size FoodSaver bags. Back into the chest freezer.

Something to make Zoodles. Julienne Peeler (https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/) or Vegeti (https://www.amazon.com/Veggetti-Table-Top-Spiralizer-Quickly-Vegetables/dp/B00VQTHRAA/). Turn something healthy into noodles.

David S.
11-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Sugar is sugar. Unlike the advice that you'd get from Weight Watcher's, it's not free (no points).

It really depends on how clean you want to be and how much you need to loose (if that's a factor). It also depends on how your body processes it. I'm much better at processing sugar than my wife, for instance.

You'll probably have a hard time eating too much fruit if you eat it whole. Liquefying it into juice or smoothy can make it easy to overeat.

Joe in PNG
11-29-2017, 08:27 PM
I've become rather partial to frozen bananas as a dessert.

Tensaw
11-29-2017, 08:42 PM
What Jody said....

I dropped 16 pounds in six weeks this past September eating "paleo" - now migrating over to a ketogenic type diet. Currently down 20 pounds. Five to go. I do not go hungry. Sugar. Is. Poison.

Had my first Bulletproof coffee two yesterday. Hell yeah!

Buy it. https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512005890&sr=8-1&keywords=why+we+get+fat
Or, just know this. Sugar and carbs trigger insulin, insulin is a fat storage hormone. (High levels of fat correlate to every western illness (cancer, heart disease, etc.)) The food pyramid is upside down.

Crock pot on steroids: https://instantpot.com/ There are FB groups for Instant Pot receipes - its that good.

JodyH
11-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Had my first Bulletproof coffee two yesterday. Hell yeah!

I start every day off with several cups of coffee spiked with ghee and coconut oil.
Coffee is an appetite depressant and the ghee gives me a lot of good fat calories to kick the day off.
The coconut oil keeps my brain fed with MCT's.
Make Mongo smart!
:cool:

David S.
11-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Buy it. https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512005890&sr=8-1&keywords=why+we+get+fat
Or, just know this. Sugar and carbs trigger insulin, insulin is a fat storage hormone. (High levels of fat correlate to every western illness (cancer, heart disease, etc.)) The food pyramid is upside down.

Gary Taubes also has a bunch of presentations on youtube, if that works better for you. He did a solid interview with Joe Rogan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ffswUVoxA). See also, Robb Wolf and the above linked Chris Kresser.

David S.
11-29-2017, 08:59 PM
I start every day off with several cups of coffee spiked with ghee and coconut oil.
Coffee is an appetite depressant and the ghee gives me a lot of good fat calories to kick the day off.
The coconut oil keeps my brain fed with MCT's.
Make Mongo smart!

That sounds terrible. I'll have to try it. How much oil and ghee do you add to a mug of coffee?

JodyH
11-29-2017, 09:10 PM
That sounds terrible. I'll have to try it. How much oil and ghee do you add to a mug of coffee?
About a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil (a quick squirt from the bottle).
A good heaping spoonful of ghee.
I have some salted ghee and some vanilla ghee that I use to doctor my coffee.
Go easy on the coconut oil until your body adjusts...

David S.
11-29-2017, 09:17 PM
One of the ah-hah moments that I got from the Chris Kresser interview was that it's pretty hard to over eat real food, but it's very easy to overeat junk food.

A 12 oz steak is 650 calories. Add a couple hundred calories for salad (watch the dressing), a cup of sweet potato, and that 1000 calories will last a good while.

A can of Pringles for 1000 calories. Or a regular sized Big Mac combo with a coke: 1,250 calories. I guarantee you'll be hungry soon after.

k_dub
11-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Gary Taubes also has a bunch of presentations on youtube, if that works better for you. He did a solid interview with Joe Rogan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ffswUVoxA). See also, Robb Wolf and the above linked Chris Kresser.

If you like podcasts, check out Vinnie Tortorich. He interviews Gary Taubes and others that promote a high fat, low carb lifestyle. On his website he has a fairly detailed free pdf that goes into what he calls No Sugars, No Grains or NSNG for short.

YVK
11-29-2017, 11:04 PM

You could continue not paying attention and half of the people who do this for living won't argue. Glycemic index is calculated on a whopping sample of 10 volunteers without regard to things like their enzymatic capabilities, size, physical activities etc. Glycemic load is basically a glycemic index of one standard portion of a food except who defines standard portions? None of that takes into account other aspects of glucose handling. I can take a nice portion of a rice pudding, cover it in a whipped cream, get some Coke and suffer no consequences if I do few other things. Rice is a dietary staple of far East; seen a lot of fat people from there? For each expert that supports glycemic index as a meaningful parameter there is one that doubts that.
Enjoy your fruit, it is the healthiest way of consuming simple carbs, just pay attention to your overall daily caloric and carb load and consult a doc if you have related health issues (diabetes, CV disease, etc).

Casual Friday
11-29-2017, 11:20 PM
All I know is if I limit my sugar intake to fruit and my carb intake to reasonable portions of rice and starchy things like sweet potatoes I'm good. I don't know what that means in the big picture but it works for me.

Lester Polfus
11-29-2017, 11:22 PM
One of the ah-hah moments that I got from the Chris Kresser interview was that it's pretty hard to over eat real food, but it's very easy to overeat junk food.

A 12 oz steak is 650 calories. Add a couple hundred calories for salad (watch the dressing), a cup of sweet potato, and that 1000 calories will last a good while.

A can of Pringles for 1000 calories. Or a regular sized Big Mac combo with a coke: 1,250 calories. I guarantee you'll be hungry soon after.

That has absolutely been my experience. A good sized portion of elk or deer meat really doesn't have that many calories in it, but couple that with some good greens my wife grew, and I feel full for a good long time. We can go out and eat crap food with twice as many calories and I feel hungry again in half the time.

M2CattleCo
11-29-2017, 11:26 PM
I feel best on low to no carbs throughout the day, then carbs at supper.

I have some sort of eggs for breakfast, broccoli and chicken or something like that for lunch, and steak, salad, potato, and fruit for dessert at supper time. I need to start doing more fish again.

Zero sodas or sugary drinks. Water, mineral water, and a few shotsof tequila a year.

YVK
11-29-2017, 11:37 PM
All I know is if I limit my sugar intake to fruit and my carb intake to reasonable portions of rice and starchy things like sweet potatoes I'm good. I don't know what that means in the big picture but it works for me.

If you think that anyone really knows what the big picture is...There is so much BS and unsubstantiated stuff going around, I feel I can't tell much to my patients as a professional without making disclaimers how limited the knowledge is. I think that most reasonable people agree that overall caloric excess avoidance is more important than some magic composition of en-vogue foods, we do tend to push protein, especially non-animal, Mediterranian diet is pretty big, we do educate about dangers of simple sugars and then we know that fat, at least saturated fat, kills people just fine, so at the end of my conversations I and my patients often times run out of options what to eat, really.

That has absolutely been my experience. A good sized portion of elk or deer meat really doesn't have that many calories in it, but couple that with some good greens my wife grew, and I feel full for a good long time.

This sometimes is referred to as a satiety index. Interestingly, it was developed at the same institution where the glycemic index was developed. The idea is how long a given food will keep you not hungry for as compared to a reference food (white bread). Beef scored reasonably high.
An intended consequence of satiety index development was that it showed how glycemic index was limited in assessing "dietary worthiness". That came from finding that the same ingredient (same glycemic index) prepared in different way will have different satiety index, with obviously different effect on person's total food / calorie intake for a remainder of the day.

Drang
11-30-2017, 03:43 AM
I tried looking for that on Amazon, and the only thing I found with "tenth of an acre" in the title is this:

http://amzn.to/2j2C0fQ

22009 (http://amzn.to/2j2C0fQ)

Is that it?

I meant 1/10th.
Did Tom find the correct book?

peterb
11-30-2017, 05:42 AM
Carbs are not evil if your burn rate is high enough. Endurance athletes need carbohydrates for fuel at high intensities. You can do long slow low-intensity work with minimal carbs, but as you get near race pace your fueling strategy has to change. And your digestive system can't process complex foods when your body is working that hard.

So build your diet on vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats, and adjust your carb intake to your activity level.

This does require being honest about how active you really are. One problem is that a lot of people believe the sports nutrition marketing and think they need a sports drink and a energy bar to walk across the park.

I normally don't eat much sugar, and find that many of the commercial sports nutrition products are too sweet for me. Homemade stuff works well for long rides. https://www.velopress.com/sick-of-sweet-try-savory-bacon-and-egg-rice-cakes/

jeep45238
11-30-2017, 08:31 AM
Did Tom find the correct book?

Yes

Casual Friday
11-30-2017, 08:51 AM
If you think that anyone really knows what the big picture is...There is so much BS and unsubstantiated stuff going around, I feel I can't tell much to my patients as a professional without making disclaimers how limited the knowledge is. I think that most reasonable people agree that overall caloric excess avoidance is more important than some magic composition of en-vogue foods, we do tend to push protein, especially non-animal, Mediterranian diet is pretty big, we do educate about dangers of simple sugars and then we know that fat, at least saturated fat, kills people just fine, so at the end of my conversations I and my patients often times run out of options what to eat, really.

The cult like behavior surrounding diet plans is strange to me. Keto, Vegan, South Beach whatever. I was part of a Facebook group that started off being about exercise mostly and diet secondary, that become overrun with people pushing the Keto diet hard. It was like 2005 all over again with the Herbal Life people. I'm not saying the Keto diet doesn't work for some people but I think some of them took it to extremes. These people were eating bacon wrapped meatloaf, bacon wrapped cheese burgers, cream cheese on everything, and telling people not to eat carrots.

Matt O
11-30-2017, 09:07 AM
...white rice are monsters when it comes to load due to the carb content.

I've heard this before, but I've always struggled with reconciling this against a continent full of (at least comparatively) non-obese people who consume vast quantities of said bad foods.

JodyH
11-30-2017, 09:19 AM
I've heard this before, but I've always struggled with reconciling this against a continent full of (at least comparatively) non-obese people who consume vast quantities of said bad foods.
I eat a lot of Asian food w/rice and at age 47 I'm within 10# of my high school graduation weight (and in better shape).
It's not just the food it's the activity levels.
Take China for instance, most people walk or bicycle a LOT more than the average American.
There's also genetics at play.
Native Americans (I am one) do not process certain foods as well as other ethnicities and tend to get diabetes at a higher rate on the same diet than people of European descent.

Genetics, diet, exercise.
You can control 2 out of the 3.
I personally think that activity level is the most important with diet secondary (within reason of course).

Matt O
11-30-2017, 09:21 AM
My wife is Asian so I'm pretty sure she'd divorce me before she gave up white rice. :D

JodyH
11-30-2017, 09:26 AM
My wife is Asian so I'm pretty sure she'd divorce me before she gave up white rice. :D
I believe in the voodoo science of hot ass peppers as well.
I think there's something to adding a lot of capsicum to your diet that helps offset the carbs/sugar and burn calories.
That's how I justify eating Thai food regularly.

David S.
11-30-2017, 12:51 PM
These people were eating bacon wrapped meatloaf, bacon wrapped cheese burgers, cream cheese on everything, and telling people not to eat carrots.

See now, that just doesn't seem extreme to me at all.

txdpd
11-30-2017, 01:19 PM
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/cooking/a31873/cooking-trick-for-healthier-rice/

I've been doing this with my rice. I don't know if it really reduces the carbs, but I don't get the as much of carb bloat eating rice cooked this way.

Speaking of carb bloat, most diets that offer 20 plus pounds of weight loss in the first few weeks, are all cutting processed/simple carbs and the weight loss is mostly water.

jwperry
11-30-2017, 01:50 PM
As YVK has pointed out, there are so many personal points that what works for one person won't work for another.

Oct. 2016 my doc labeled me as a "pre-diabetic" and then in Dec. 2016 said that I should consider myself a Type 2. I was 33 and a little over weight (5'10", 250lbs). I was having issues any kind of sugar and some sugar alcohols. After trying what you plan on doing, vegetables & proteins with a max 2200 calories/day, I was hungry all the time, gained another 15lbs and was generally miserable. I switched to a Keto diet (less than 30 net carbs/day) in March 2017 and dropped down to 215. I can't stomach enough food to get to 2200 calories a day now. I'm usually around 1900. I track my macros with a phone app that allows me to scan the label of the food I'm eating to track it. The app is the MyPlate by Livestrong.

I started intense, group exercise 3 days a week about 2 months ago and have not experienced issues from lack of carbs. My cardio sucks, but is getting better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you have to find what is right for you and your body and gets to you to the goals that you want to be at, not what has worked for everyone else.

And make whatever "lifestyle change" you want after you've eaten all the food in your house that you're not going to partake anymore. Removes temptation and opportunity to hop off the wagon.

Bodhi
11-30-2017, 02:40 PM
I eat a combo of paleo and Caribbean. Lots of fish, and lots of fruit in my diet. I stock 6 different kinds of fish in my freezer, eat some chicken but fish is primary protein source, and eat very little beef because it takes longer to digest than the stuff that swims or flys (really means fish and chicken/bird). 6 small meals a day high in protein, with 6 fruit servings and I eat all the super fruits high in antioxidants. I also try to do something I learned from Ricky Carmichael in his prime.....eat as many grilled chicken salads as I possibly can.

You know what to eat. We were all taught the food groups when we were kids. Diets are fads, it’s lifestyle changes that are needed. I’d suggest a step down method. The thing you absolutely want to avoid is sacks. And by sacks I mean drive through and fast food. Obesity took over smoking cigarettes as the #1 killer in the United States. Fast food is toxic for your body, high in fat, calories, and cholesterol. Even most restaurants, the portions of food are too large, and too calorie dense. If you have to eat out, learn to love the grilled chicken salad and some ligh weight dressing.

Metabolism, everyone’s is very different. As a weightlifter, previously certified trainer, and a lifelong study of nutrition I am a fan of small timed meals with frequency. You must time your own metabolism so you can get it working like a clock. My metabolism has a memory. If I eat at the same times everyday my body knows food is coming every 3 hours Mon-Fri, and every 4 hours on weekends. You have to do your very best to eat at the same times every day and keep the caloric content down. My meals range from 300-500 calories per, but I lift heavy 4 days a week and try to get cardio in as much as I can. Weightlifting is a higher priority to me than cardio because I work all sets to failure so my muscles are burning calories even when I sleep because they are in repair. But I do try and get in at least 3 cardio sessions per week and some weeks I get it in 5-6 times a week.

Cut out sugar to the best of your ability. And kill fast food out of your life. If I absolutely have to eat fast food, it’s a chicken breast at Subway, or perhaps two (foot long but no bread) with lettuce, tomato, and their lean chicken teriyaki sauce on there lightly. Or maybe Wendy’s grilled chicken Apple salad. In a hurry with no Tupperware on me, I can find something half way decent almost anywhere. Chick-fil-A, grilled chicken breast and a cup of fruit, etc.

Some sample meals that I eat a lot of. Costco sells organic brown rice bowls, 6 or 8 to a package. They take 90 seconds to microwave. I’ll grill a Tilapia (high in protein, low in calories) with some Caribbean jerk seasoning using EVOO. Towards the end I’ll toss in some pineapple tidbits (no sugar) with the juice on the fish and the pineapple grilling. Then I’ll throw the brown rice, Tilapia, and pineapple in a bowl and mash it up. I could eat that as dinner every night if the week. Other main meal is half and half (spring mix, spinach), grilled chicken (with some seasoning), a cut up pink lady apple, some cherubs, and some light raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing.
Breakfast is always 4 egg whites, one yolk, a banana or bowl of fruit, and some cooked oatmeal. I’d love to do groats but they need to cook overnight and my meal choices are based on speed. I can make my Tilapia bowl above in 10 minutes flat if the Tilapia is defrosted. Also, some will say fruit is bad because of the sugar. But it;s high enough in fiber that it offsets. I have never been a big vegetable guy so I eat a lot of salads, and a whole lot of fruit instead.

Lastly, use a step down method. Think heroin addict using methodone. If hooked on fast food, for the first few months, buy chicken nuggets at the store, some will have grilled chicken versions. Buy Mac and cheese to go with it, or some instant mashed potatoes. Yes it is processed food but better for you than the fast food combo meals. Step down method is make your own combo meals at home for a while. If hooked on soda, use Coke Zero for a while. Then step down to La Croix or some form of flavored carbonated water. I drink La Croix every day because I will always be hooked on carbonation. And I will drink a Coke Zero or two on the weekends. Don’t be afraid to cheat meal it either. I look forward to mine. Whataburger #1 meal (burger with cheese) with a Coke Zero or grilled chicken sandwich combo with bacon. I try to treat myself one meal a week. I just don’t let it turn into a whole day.
Alcohol, especially cold beer is your enemy, that was very hard for me to kick. And fast food is the #1 killer. I call them crack houses. They are on every street corner for a reason. You’re tired from work, tired from life, anxiety from bills, the wife, whatever the reason, you don’t feel like cooking, and the crack house is right on the corner. Start looking at those places as the devil. Fine for a cheat meal but will kill you years earlier if eaten regularly.

And remember that no food taste as good as being lean feels. It’s an awesome feeling to be cut up quite good as you look at someone your same age with a massive gut, or using the scooter at Walmart. Some of us want to die with our boots on. Bad eating and life habits will cost you more than you can imagine in old age. Every year healthcare costs go up so I’d rather face it being as fit as I can to help my age, my longevity, and my wallet. Getting very sick can and will cost you everything you have. Hedge your bets. And use it as a defensive tool for motivation. If trouble arises, firearm related or not, I can scale a fence, sprint 6 city blocks, crawl through a small space, defend myself with my hands, and have the strength to to take down an opponent or two. Being defensive and ready for a fight or trouble just doesn’t mean carrying a pistol iwb. You want every tool at your disposal, and your own strength and fitness is as important or more so, than any firearm. Best of luck, go one day at a time, one meal at a time, and don’t try to do everything at once.
Be realistic, and like some video game, go one level at a time, in 4 or 6 week increments. Try to do it all at once, you’ll get overwhelmed, and quit.

I forgot to add, I check my levels twice to three times a year, and my cholesterol, etc is always on point.
Off the top of my head (there are doctors in the thread) it’s the prick your finger test that runs through a decent gamut. Then I’ll pull the vial(s) every year or other year. Do consult a physician and nutritionist if you plan to drop a lot of weight. You need blood tests as you go through it. As been said already, genetics has a massive hand in the undertaking and I’d be a fool not to mention you want to run checks during big lifestyle changes, even if they are for the better. My employer offers this for free (few or low % of employees take them up on it) and it nets me $300 per year on my check. I am 44, feel 28, and look 34. That’s all down to fitness and diet.

littlejerry
11-30-2017, 08:31 PM
I use a lot of salted ghee (clarified butter) as a condiment and to "fry" things in.
I have a lot of green leafy salad (with an egg, meat and avocado in it). For dressing I use avocado oils.
I do not go zero carbs because I work out hard 4 days a week and a few carbs help with recovery and sleep.

If I want a steak, baked potato, beer and a small dessert... I eat it with no regrets.

This is essentially what I've been following for the past 3ish years.

Lost 40lbs of bodyfat. Currently weigh 170. Lots of exercise mixed in there- started rucking, running, doing bodyweight PT. This year I started CrossFit. BF is trending down, lean weight trending up, overall weight is pretty constant.

It didn't happen overnight. Slow and steady wins the race. A lot of friends have done fad diets where they "lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks." It's always BS. Just because you dehydate yourself and flush out your GI tract doesn't mean you lost anything.

Like Jody I don't keep anything off limits, but I ration it. During the week I eat good: yogurt, meat, veggies, no alcohol. Wife and I typically go out Friday and/or Saturday and I eat whatever I want, usually with a good beer.

Sugar is definitely the worst thing. I avoid it at all costs, but I usually enjoy a good pie around my birthday.

Trukinjp13
11-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Counting calories is not in the cards. That ship has sailed. Do not get me wrong. I watch them, but that is enough for me. Easiest part of this diet is helping with sugar/carbs cut down. I have already noticed a huge difference in intake. While eating good and not starving myself.

Everyones insight has been awesome thank you.

Tonights meal. Wild caught salmon/eggs/spinach salad with a little olive oil/vinegar and a carrot. I threw this together in like ten minutes. Tasted great and lots of protein.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/4bbfc39c9028829ab4d84c0dccdde92c.jpg

JodyH
11-30-2017, 11:38 PM
Tonights meal. Wild caught salmon/eggs/spinach salad with a little olive oil/vinegar and a carrot. I threw this together in like ten minutes. Tasted great and lots of protein.

Looks delicious.
Saute the spinach in some garlic ghee and drizzle some melted ghee over the salmon and you can easily add some high quality fat to the meal and add even more flavor.

David S.
12-01-2017, 12:17 AM
Consider adding probiotics to your diet. Kombucha and sauerkraut, for instance. A lot of the meats that we eat, for instance, are loaded with antibiotics to keep them alive while standing knee deep in their own shit. That gets passed on to us kills a lot of the beneficial bugs in our belly and can cause all kinds of health issues. Just keep an eye on the sugar content.

willie
12-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Weightwatchers was mentioned above. My wife and I(to some extent)follow their guidelines, and I'm convinced that they are valid. They don't count carbs but sugar grams. It's easier this way. I urge my friends here to try weightwatcher recipes. They are deliciously tasty plus healthy. Sugar rich foods are deadly not because they add weight or can increase fats. The reason is that sugar stresses the pancreas and also adds to heart problems. Google will explain it more.

David S.
12-01-2017, 01:02 AM
Weightwatchers was mentioned above. My wife and I(to some extent)follow their guidelines, and I'm convinced that they are valid. They don't count carbs but sugar grams. It's easier this way. I urge my friends here to try weightwatcher recipes. They are deliciously tasty plus healthy. Sugar rich foods are deadly not because they add weight or can increase fats. The reason is that sugar stresses the pancreas and also adds to heart problems. Google will explain it more.

I mentioned WW above. I didn’t mean to indicate that the whole system was bad. Millions have had success on it, I’m sure. I was specifically critiquing them making fruit free (no points). That’s it.

JodyH
12-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Any diet that has you actually thinking about choosing good food over bad food when you eat is a good diet.

RJ
12-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Great thread.

I’m learning a lot. Seems to be a theme to reduce sugar and manage carbs in a diet balanced with exercise. Who knew? :cool:

Kidding. :)

I got down to 179 on a similar diet/exercise program 5-6 years ago, but am back to 199 after a summer of forgetting the basics. Need to get back on the wagon.

Question? I think I saw bulletproof coffee mentioned up thread. I now have it with Coconut Oil and Kerrygold unsalted butter I have on hand. Is that ok or do I need to buy their super duper brain oil to be effective? I am eliminating my previous daily shot of dairy and Stevia, replacing it with the butter and oil.

For the rest, what seems to help me focus is logging food. I use MyFitnessPal. Yes I need to get to the gym as well.

Again, thanks for the thread, good stuff here.

jeep45238
12-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Looks delicious.
Saute the spinach in some garlic ghee and drizzle some melted ghee over the salmon and you can easily add some high quality fat to the meal and add even more flavor.

Consider adding probiotics to your diet. Kombucha and sauerkraut, for instance. A lot of the meats that we eat, for instance, are loaded with antibiotics to keep them alive while standing knee deep in their own shit. That gets passed on to us kills a lot of the beneficial bugs in our belly and can cause all kinds of health issues. Just keep an eye on the sugar content.

Counting calories is not in the cards. That ship has sailed. Do not get me wrong. I watch them, but that is enough for me. Easiest part of this diet is helping with sugar/carbs cut down. I have already noticed a huge difference in intake. While eating good and not starving myself.

Everyones insight has been awesome thank you.

Looks delicious.

Speaking for my wife (she's a dietitian) and what I know from her cooking and what she's shared with her work:

The above advise is solid, no matter the program she's worked on or the specific goals of the client, she is NOT fat-fobic, is pro-fiber, and pro-probiotics. Note that most work she does is not sports nutrition for low body-fat bodybuilders and the like, but for your more standard 10-15% body fat (and way higher than that as well) type of folks.

Solid choice on the dinner, keep it up!

JodyH
12-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Question? I think I saw bulletproof coffee mentioned up thread. I now have it with Coconut Oil and Kerrygold unsalted butter I have on hand. Is that ok or do I need to buy their super duper brain oil to be effective? I am eliminating my previous daily shot of dairy and Stevia, replacing it with the butter and oil.

The coconut oil (https://www.amazon.com/Premium-MCT-derived-only-Coconut/dp/B00XM0Y9SE/ref=pd_sim_325_4?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=TDJ24D3W0SDMX1HJPZ18&th=1) I use.
The salted ghee (https://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Grass-Fed-4th-Heart-Certified/dp/B00VXQGY1Y/ref=pd_bxgy_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=M0HHQ13YFFMB8783QWDE&th=1) I like.

Trukinjp13
12-01-2017, 08:54 AM
The coconut oil (https://www.amazon.com/Premium-MCT-derived-only-Coconut/dp/B00XM0Y9SE/ref=pd_sim_325_4?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=TDJ24D3W0SDMX1HJPZ18&th=1) I use.
The salted ghee (https://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Grass-Fed-4th-Heart-Certified/dp/B00VXQGY1Y/ref=pd_bxgy_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=M0HHQ13YFFMB8783QWDE&th=1) I like.

You sir are full of knowledge bombs. I’m going to try the bulletproof coffee. Pretty much a black coffee drinker. So that sounds tasty and different.

LOKNLOD
12-01-2017, 09:02 AM
The cult like behavior surrounding diet plans is strange to me. Keto, Vegan, South Beach whatever. I was part of a Facebook group that started off being about exercise mostly and diet secondary, that become overrun with people pushing the Keto diet hard. It was like 2005 all over again with the Herbal Life people. I'm not saying the Keto diet doesn't work for some people but I think some of them took it to extremes. These people were eating bacon wrapped meatloaf, bacon wrapped cheese burgers, cream cheese on everything, and telling people not to eat carrots.

My wife decided Keto would be worth trying, and has lost over 20 lbs since August. Most of that was quickly and then she plateaued while down with knee surgery at the end of Sept. She’s found it to work well for her.

She has mentioned the crazy FB groups as well, those people are ridiculous. I think Keto gets an extra dose because some of the people are doing it for stricter medical (diabetes?) reasons where as for weight loss you can a bit more flexible on following it.

Matt O
12-01-2017, 09:18 AM
I'll have to give some of these suggestions a shot. I lost 25-30 pounds last year watching portions, working out and most importantly, doing 2-3 24 hour fasts per week. I almost never eat fast food (other than the occasional 5 Guys) and I don't drink soda at all.

My biggest hurdles are that I like good beer. A lot (on the weekend). I also really like good bread and pastries, though I limit the latter because I just don't buy or keep them in the house. Brioche with coffee? Hell yes. At this time of year, pie is my main weakness. Why do bad foods taste so goddamn good? :(

RJ
12-01-2017, 09:19 AM
So that sounds tasty and different.

I’ve been a NATO Standard (one creamer, two sugars) coffee drinker for 30 years. Aside from the slightly oily taste, I’ve found the BP coffee to be pretty good, actually.

Thanks JodyH I’ll be ordering that today.

littlejerry
12-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Great thread.

I’m learning a lot. Seems to be a theme to reduce sugar and manage carbs in a diet balanced with exercise. Who knew? :cool:

Kidding. :)

I got down to 179 on a similar diet/exercise program 5-6 years ago, but am back to 199 after a summer of forgetting the basics. Need to get back on the wagon.

For the rest, what seems to help me focus is logging food. I use MyFitnessPal. Yes I need to get to the gym as well.

Again, thanks for the thread, good stuff here.

Definitely need exercise. I know you'll hear people say "weight loss is all about diet" while others say it's all about burning calories. It's both. Occasionally slacking on one is OK but on balance you need regular exercise (5 days 30 minutes minimum for me per week. These days it's 5 days and 1-2 hours each) and a good consistent diet. I've found that I usually drives the other: quality food gives me the energy to do long hard workouts, and long hard workouts make me crave quality food.

JodyH
12-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Definitely need exercise. I know you'll hear people say "weight loss is all about diet" while others say it's all about burning calories. It's both. Occasionally slacking on one is OK but on balance you need regular exercise (5 days 30 minutes minimum for me per week. These days it's 5 days and 1-2 hours each) and a good consistent diet. I've found that I usually drives the other: quality food gives me the energy to do long hard workouts, and long hard workouts make me crave quality food.

Burn rate > good calorie intake = weight loss + muscle tone = better health

JodyH
12-01-2017, 09:41 AM
You sir are full of knowledge bombs. I’m going to try the bulletproof coffee. Pretty much a black coffee drinker. So that sounds tasty and different.
Start out slow on the oil/ghee/coffee combo first thing in the AM on an empty stomach until your body adapts, otherwise you might have some "issues"...

RJ
12-01-2017, 10:01 AM
What do you guys think of Jorge Cruz’s “Skinny Muffin”?

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/jorge-cruise-energy-boosting-recipes

I used this a while back as a way of boosting good fiber. Seems to help me in “moving things along” but I was thinking maybe opinions have changed in 5 years:

1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
1 egg
1 packet stevia

Mix dry ingredients in a mug. Fork in wet ingredients. Microwave for 60s. Serve with melted butter.

Casual Friday
12-01-2017, 10:34 AM
My wife decided Keto would be worth trying, and has lost over 20 lbs since August. Most of that was quickly and then she plateaued while down with knee surgery at the end of Sept. She’s found it to work well for her.

She has mentioned the crazy FB groups as well, those people are ridiculous. I think Keto gets an extra dose because some of the people are doing it for stricter medical (diabetes?) reasons where as for weight loss you can a bit more flexible on following it.

My line in the sand is I refuse to follow an eating plan that requires me to pee on a little stick 4 times a day to make sure I'm still in ketosis. I'm not a Kardashian chick with another pregnancy scare. I'm just tryna get jacked af.

I know two ladies who are on Keto because of their diabetes. Combined with daily exercise, it's working so well for one of them that she is off all diabetes related medication.

I looked into the Keto diet and found that my normal eating habits aren't that far off from it. I don't eat many carbs, sweet potatoes and rice in reasonable portions, and I eat a lot of lean protein and fats. I don't have to purposely avoid carbs either, it comes pretty natural since I don't like pasta and I've never been a big fan of bread. Not liking soda is also a big benefit since most people I know who consume too much sugar do so through soda and other sugary drinks. Two cups of strong black coffee and 180 oz of water a day is all I need in terms of beverages.

OnionsAndDragons
12-01-2017, 02:22 PM
I know two ladies who are on Keto because of their diabetes. Combined with daily exercise, it's working so well for one of them that she is off all diabetes related medication.

I looked into the Keto diet and found that my normal eating habits aren't that far off from it. I don't eat many carbs, sweet potatoes and rice in reasonable portions, and I eat a lot of lean protein and fats. I don't have to purposely avoid carbs either, it comes pretty natural since I don't like pasta and I've never been a big fan of bread. Not liking soda is also a big benefit since most people I know who consume too much sugar do so through soda and other sugary drinks. Two cups of strong black coffee and 180 oz of water a day is all I need in terms of beverages.

I know a few that have also essentially eliminated diabetes issues through eating like this.

My eating sounds similar to yours. I try to restrict my carb intake entirely to post lifting or final meals only. This way the spikes are managed by the muscles absorbing or the fact that I will be back to a fasted state when I eat next.

I have had great results breaking my fat loss plateau with circadian eating. Dr Panda has been putting out interesting research on this. Basically I try to only eat anything my body has to metabolize in a 10-12hr period. Only water on the off period. It has made a big difference. I was stuck at about 210lbs (6'1") and after switching to this have not gone over 200 even when I lapsed in my lifting regimen due to combo life and injury nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shellback
12-01-2017, 02:47 PM
I would suggest checking out Larry's Point Driven Fat Loss (https://pointdriventraining.com/2016/01/01/point-driven-fat-loss/).

David S.
12-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Data point re: ghee in coffee.

I tried this stuff yesterday. Desi Ghee (https://www.amazon.com/Nanak-Pure-Clarified-Butter-28-Ounce/dp/B001XUM9B4).

Not good in coffee.

NickA
12-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Awesome thread, thanks to all who are contributing. The wife and I both need to make some serious dietary changes and hopefully this will provide some impetus.
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/cooking/a31873/cooking-trick-for-healthier-rice/

I've been doing this with my rice. I don't know if it really reduces the carbs, but I don't get the as much of carb bloat eating rice cooked this way.

Speaking of carb bloat, most diets that offer 20 plus pounds of weight loss in the first few weeks, are all cutting processed/simple carbs and the weight loss is mostly water.It seems to be legit. I'm listening to the Rogan podcast with Chris Kresser and he explained the same thing with potatoes. He actually swears by an all (plain) potato diet as a way to kickstart weight loss, at least by doing it a few days a week. The trick seems to be:
You won't overindulge in plain, unseasoned potatoes because they're bland af.
And most people will cook them ahead of time and refrigerate so you get the resistant starch effect. Crazy stuff, but he swears it's good for losing a 1/2 pound a day or so.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Bodhi
12-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Coffee I do Dunkin Donuts brand in the coffee maker. I add a shot of 2% milk and Blue Agave for sweetener. The Blue Agave tastes outstanding and that shot of 2% is almost the only dairy I consume with the other exception being some 2% mixed or diced cheese on my salads. I use Almond Milk for protein shakes or for anything else I’d use cow milk for.
Some poo poo coffee but I like it. Hated it when I was young, now I couldn’t imagine starting my morning without it.
It acts as a healthy prostate supplement for me along with Swedish flower pollen. It severely aids in draining the bowels. :)
Afternoons I hit the green tea with lemon and honey.

Please support each other in your efforts to lose weight and be healthy. Change is hard for many and seeing others meet and beat weight goals helps those most in need. I always tie in the motivation to my defensive training. Nothing wrong at all being fit for the fight.

David S.
12-01-2017, 04:55 PM
I would suggest checking out Larry's Point Driven Fat Loss (https://pointdriventraining.com/2016/01/01/point-driven-fat-loss/).

Good article.

My only nit-pick is his beef (sorry for the pun) seems to be with the bro-science version of paleo, Atkin's, keto, etc., instead of what Taubes, Wolf, and others are actually saying.

RJ
12-01-2017, 05:25 PM

That was a good read.

holmes168
12-03-2017, 07:19 PM
JodyH was it this thread you posted the link for the kettlebell workout? Tried to find a couple times and can't

JodyH
12-03-2017, 08:12 PM
JodyH was it this thread you posted the link for the kettlebell workout? Tried to find a couple times and can't
The Onnit "Taming The Beast (https://www.onnit.com/academy/taming-the-beast-bigfoot-primal-bell-workout/)"?

Perform all reps in group A before moving onto next group. Rest as long as need between groups and minimally between sets.

A1. Both Hands on Single Bell Front Squat – 3 rounds x 6-8 reps
A2. Both Hands on Single bell Press – 3 rounds x 6-8 reps
B1. Both Hands on Single Bell Deadlift – 3 rounds x 6-8 reps
B2. Both Hands on Single Bell Row – 3 rounds x 6-8 reps
C1. Both Hands on Single Bell Swing – 3 rounds x 15 reps

It's a tough workout for a single heavy kettlebell (32Kg+).
I did it at 8 reps (15 on the swings) with a 40Kg (90#), around a 1 minute rest between A and B groups and 15-30 seconds between sets.

I use the Onnit "Taming the Beast and "Slaying the Beast" more as tests than regular workouts..
My normal kettlebell workout takes about an hour and a half and I use everything from a 16Kg to a 40Kg in a blend of strength and cardio (I workout 4 days a week usually).

Robinson
12-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I've been following this thread with interest. I've started trying to eat healthier most days, though I still enjoy alcohol in moderation and some carbs. I've also started adding kettlebell to my workout regimen which I quite like so far.

I'd like to know what you folks think about these things when it comes to diet:

Oatmeal, especially steel cut oats
100% whole grain bread (I love a good sammich)
pork in moderation (I eat more beef and chicken but bacon or bbq once a week = yum)
cheese
stevia

holmes168
12-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Have some on the way.

holmes168
12-04-2017, 07:55 PM
What do you guys think of Jorge Cruz’s “Skinny Muffin”?

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/jorge-cruise-energy-boosting-recipes

I used this a while back as a way of boosting good fiber. Seems to help me in “moving things along” but I was thinking maybe opinions have changed in 5 years:

1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
1 egg
1 packet stevia

Mix dry ingredients in a mug. Fork in wet ingredients. Microwave for 60s. Serve with melted butter.

I'd take out the stevia if possible

RJ
12-04-2017, 08:17 PM
I'd take out the stevia if possible

Ok. Is Stevia like really bad or something? I admit I’m pretty much a noob at this nutrition stuff.

littlejerry
12-04-2017, 08:32 PM
I've been following this thread with interest. I've started trying to eat healthier most days, though I still enjoy alcohol in moderation and some carbs. I've also started adding kettlebell to my workout regimen which I quite like so far.

pork in moderation (I eat more beef and chicken but bacon or bbq once a week = yum)
cheese
stevia

I don't do bread generally. It's a pretty worthless food with a ton of calories for not much nutrition. One slice of bread has roughly the same amount of carbs as a bowl of brussel sprouts, but those sprouts are a hell of a lot more filling and healthier for you.

I'm not picky about the animals that I eat, but I choose the high fat cuts when possible.

Be careful with BBQ-. There is usually a ton of sugar in sauce.

Cheese doesn't bother me, but again I gravitate towards higher fat content. My wife and I love cheese as a treat, but we're usually eating brie, blues, port salut, guyere, etc in small quantities.

I don't have an opinion on Stevia. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, so I don't really do fake sweeteners. If we're going to make something like pie, we'll use regular old sugar or honey. I think the key is to ration those things and not overeat just because it's "sugar free"

peterb
12-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Steel cut oats: My favorite way to prepare them is with a small slow cooker with a removeable liner. Combine oats, milk, water, pinch of salt, and chopped dried or fresh fruit in the liner. Microwave until it starts to foam. Put it in the heated shell, cover, and take the dog for the morning walk. When I get back the oats are cooked. Beat one or two eggs, (sometimes with a splash of vanilla) and mix that into the oats.

I like them for breakfast in the colder months if I know I'm going to be active that morning.

peterb
12-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Stevia: I just don't like the taste. If I really want a sweetner I'll use a small amount of honey, maple syrup, or blackstrap molasses, or add some chopped dried fuit.

As you eat less sugar you'll want less sugar. Most desserts now taste much too sweet to me. The only chocolate that tastes more like chocolate than sugar is the seriously dark stuff.

holmes168
12-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Ok. Is Stevia like really bad or something? I admit I’m pretty much a noob at this nutrition stuff.

The reports Jason Fund used in the Obesity Code shows that stevia raises insulin more than sugar.

RJ
12-04-2017, 10:45 PM
The reports Jason Fund used in the Obesity Code shows that stevia raises insulin more than sugar.

K, that is interesting. I don’t use it except in coffee in the morning.

Problem is I have a sweet tooth the size of Montana. I guess I will lose the stevia and try the Kerry gold butter and Coco oil in the coffee tomorrow.

Speaking of: Somebody told me to get a battery powered frother for the coffee. Apparently whipping it in makes it creamier/sweeter tasting?

Do you guys do that, or just dump in the butter/oil and stir? I admit, it sounded good to me.

Thoughts?

David S.
12-04-2017, 11:00 PM

cheese
stevia

Diets are controversial because they're so personal. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Then you add in the bro-science aspect and things get very tangled.

TL;DR: From my paleo preference, I'd limit the oatmeal and bread. Eat as much pork and cheese as you like, especially if it's high quality, grass fed, from a producer that you trust. Stevia in moderation.

---------------------------
What is your goal? Weight loss or general health? Look at your food choices from the perspective of weight and also inflammation. Sugar and grain consumption are associated with all sorts of inflammation and gut issues, further leading to problems with immune system. Of course, some of us handle it better than others.

You have to research this stuff for yourself. I'm certainly not a nutritional expert. I'm just some dude on the internet that's interested in the subject. The Atkin's/paleo (popularized by Weston A. Price, Robb Wolf, Gary Taubes, etc.) model makes the most sense to me and I've pretty much bought into it. Then again, there are much smarter dudes than I that think it's all about Calories In vs Calories out (see Larry Lindenman's Point Driven Diet article above).

David S.
12-04-2017, 11:01 PM
https://youtu.be/ZzeEtbVQCac

Robinson
12-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Diets are controversial because they're so personal. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Then you add in the bro-science aspect and things get very tangled.

TL;DR: From my paleo preference, I'd limit the oatmeal and bread. Eat as much pork and cheese as you like, especially if it's high quality, grass fed, from a producer that you trust. Stevia in moderation.

---------------------------
What is your goal? Weight loss or general health? Look at your food choices from the perspective of weight and also inflammation. Sugar and grain consumption are associated with all sorts of inflammation and gut issues, further leading to problems with immune system. Of course, some of us handle it better than others.

You have to research this stuff for yourself. I'm certainly not a nutritional expert. I'm just some dude on the internet that's interested in the subject. The Atkin's/paleo (popularized by Weston A. Price, Robb Wolf, Gary Taubes, etc.) model makes the most sense to me and I've pretty much bought into it. Then again, there are much smarter dudes than I that think it's all about Calories In vs Calories out (see Larry Lindenman's Point Driven Diet article above).

Thanks. When I said "diet" I didn't mean like being "on a diet" but rather diet as in what we eat.

So even 100% whole grains can lead to inflammation? I did not know that.

David S.
12-05-2017, 12:04 AM
It's controversial, probably because "it depends." Some (https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/truth-about-eating-grains.aspx) argue that whole grains offer little to no benefit over more processed grains. Most argue whole grains are much healthier.

YMMV, so choose your experts, I guess. ;)

peterb
12-05-2017, 05:53 AM
It's controversial, probably because "it depends." Some (https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/truth-about-eating-grains.aspx) argue that whole grains offer little to no benefit over more processed grains. Most argue whole grains are much healthier.

YMMV, so choose your experts, I guess. ;)

And due to differences in genetics, gut bacteria, and a bunch of other factors, we all process foods differently.

During the great gluten panic a couple of years ago there were some studies that indicated simple whole-grain breads caused far fewer problems than commercial baked goods that often had added gluten for easier processing.

Try different things and give the changes time. Take notes. Become an expert on yourself.

RJ
12-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Thanks in part to this thread, I’m down 2.6 lbs over the last three weeks. I’m noticing belt and pants are slightly looser.

Generally logging all food into MyFitnessPal and walking longer in the day. I increased flax intake and that’s really moving things along.

I also pretty much eliminated nuts (I was plowing through handfuls of Costco Premium Cashews daily) as well as ODing on Cheddar.

We bought a bag of apples so I have one for a snack now.

Appreciate all the good advice in the thread. I think I’m headed in a better direction now.

jeep45238
12-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Thanks in part to this thread, I’m down 2.6 lbs over the last three weeks. I’m noticing belt and pants are slightly looser.

Generally logging all food into MyFitnessPal and walking longer in the day. I increased flax intake and that’s really moving things along.

I also pretty much eliminated nuts (I was plowing through handfuls of Costco Premium Cashews daily) as well as ODing on Cheddar.

Appreciate all the good advice in the thread. I think I’m headed in a better direction now.

Sounds like it!

My dietitian wife’s favorite phrase is ‘progress, not perfection’

Just keep that in mind and you’ll keep making progress and the tough times won’t impede overall progress.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 07:31 AM

1-2# a week is steady "real" progress, not just a water weight cut.
Good job.

littlejerry
12-05-2017, 08:02 AM
1-2# a week is steady "real" progress, not just a water weight cut.
Good job.

Agree. It's also sustainable.

Don't get too hung up on that one number either. I've been at 170 +/- 3 lbs for a year now, but my composition has changed dramatically.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 08:08 AM
5# a month doesn't make for good ad copy when you're selling a diet.
But 5# a month is 60# a year.
That's going from 250 to 190... that's a life changer.

OnionsAndDragons
12-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Rich_Jenkins good job dude!

Nuts are great, but cashews are pretty rough as they have a high fat and carb content.

As to the frother, I am a fan of one or a bullet style blender. It definitely improves the consistency of the buttered coffee. A vigorous hand and a shaker bottle will do just as well in a pinch.

Get yourself a few kettle bells and start squatting, bud. That's the next major step you can take to improving your progress. More for the hormone production than the actual exercise.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Get yourself a few kettle bells and start squatting, bud. That's the next major step you can take to improving your progress. More for the hormone production than the actual exercise.

^^^ THIS ^^^
Kettlebells are the single best piece of exercise equipment you can own IMO.
Buy yourself a 20Kg and do Goblet squats and Russian swings.
That single kettlebell will travel well in your trailer and you can do squats and swings just about anywhere.
A 20Kg is pretty light but good to learn proper swing technique (just heavy enough to encourage proper form, light enough that you won't get hurt with poor form).
20Kg squats and swings at a good pace is great cardio.
With a 20Kg you can also work into one arm swings, cleans, presses, snatches and rows as your fitness level increases.
When you've mastered the single 20Kg buy a second one and start all over with doubles.

Two 20Kg kettlebells also make awesome trailer awning guyline weights for when the wind gets up and your awning starts bouncing.
Multi-purpose!

Robinson
12-05-2017, 08:50 AM
^^^ THIS ^^^
Kettlebells are the single best piece of exercise equipment you can own IMO.
Buy yourself a 20Kg and do Goblet squats and Russian swings.
That single kettlebell will travel well in your trailer and you can do squats and swings just about anywhere.
A 20Kg is pretty light but good to learn proper swing technique (just heavy enough to encourage proper form, light enough that you won't get hurt with poor form).
20Kg squats and swings at a good pace is great cardio.
With a 20Kg you can also work into one arm swings, cleans, presses, snatches and rows as your fitness level increases.
When you've mastered the single 20Kg buy a second one and start all over with doubles.

Over the past 26 years or so I've kept up a pretty good workout habit including martial arts, lifting, and some cardio. I just recently added a kettlebell to my workouts and I agree. I started with a 35lb bell and multiple sets of four exercises: squats, swings, lat pulls, and overhead presses. It's important to use good technique so watch some good videos or get a book. There are lots of videos that show the wrong swing technique -- they should not look like squats with a swing at the end.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 08:55 AM
There are lots of videos that show the wrong swing technique -- they should not look like squats with a swing at the end.
Onnit Academy YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTDj63P3F-woiFGyqDjh6pA) is a great resource.

The core KB exercises IMO, Russian swing and the Goblet squat:

https://youtu.be/ViEYOJC5tVg

https://youtu.be/CmsejEOeMpY

Trukinjp13
12-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Okay. Over a week in now. I have not had bread/pasta/sweets/or any cereal. And I do not miss a thing. Been investing in the applegate brand meats. Good stuff. The hot dogs were not bad. But I am a Michigan man and love koegels and flint style coney. So no replacement there. I feel good and can tell a difference already. Not weighing myself, do not even own a scale. Basically have been a lot of fish/eggs/avocados so far. Had bacon the other day that was pretty tasty.

This style of eating to me is what diabetics should be doing. My dad has been one for along time. This would do him a lot of good if he would try. His favorite meal is pb and bread, sadly.

Bulletproof coffee is.....interesting. Im trying to like it. The idea is good. Esp. When I can not make breakfast. But man I just love black coffee.

On the kettlebell situation I agree on how useful they are. I have really been taking a liking to me homemade sandbag. I use the hell out of it. Probably one of my favorite workouts.

RJ
12-05-2017, 09:16 AM
^^^ Good stuff.

Ok, I *was* doing (among the exercise sets) kettle bell swings at 3 sets of 20. My trainer had me at 12# bells, and by the end of the three sets I was pretty winded. I’ll have a look and see what local options I have to pick up a KB (or two, good point about awning tie line weights with a good tautline hitch. I have a paracord set up with S hooks just for this purpose. Thanks guys.

holmes168
12-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Rich- a definite +1 on Onnit for a resource. JodyH is going to cost me money on either the club or the mace.

I’d agree for your travel lifestyle kettlebells are perfect. I think 20kg might be a bit heavy to start depending on your physical fitness right now. I did the Onnit kettlebell beginner workout with a 16kg Bell this morning. Only one circuit and I was smoked. I’m definitely out of shape.

RJ
12-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Rich- a definite +1 on Onnit for a resource. JodyH is going to cost me money on either the club or the mace.

I’d agree for your travel lifestyle kettlebells are perfect. I think 20kg might be a bit heavy to start depending on your physical fitness right now. I did the Onnit kettlebell beginner workout with a 16kg Bell this morning. Only one circuit and I was smoked. I’m definitely out of shape.

Copy.

Thinking now, maybe the KB I was using was a 12 kg? Anyway, I’m not 21 anymore, so I’ll start slow. Last thing I want is to end up back at my Orthopedic Doc again, like last month. That sucked.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Clubs are deceptively tough.
I have two 10# and two 15# and depending on where you hold them and what exercises you do they are shoulder burners.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Copy.

Thinking now, maybe the KB I was using was a 12 kg? Anyway, I’m not 21 anymore, so I’ll start slow. Last thing I want is to end up back at my Orthopedic Doc again, like last month. That sucked.
12Kg is great.
You want just enough weight that you have some resistance because too light encourages poor form because you use your shoulders/lower back to muscle it up on the upswing instead of hip thrusting it up.
Too heavy and you can get hurt if your form breaks down and you get a little wild.

My wife is in OK shape for 48 years old but she wants to lose weight and tone up.
I started her on kettlebells two weeks ago (4 times a week) and I started her on a 8Kg for swings and overhead presses and a 12Kg for squats and deadlifts.
She's already outgrown the 8Kg for swings and will be moving up to the 12Kg next week for swings.

jeep45238
12-05-2017, 09:33 AM
This makes me thankful that there are national 24/7 gym chains across the country with barbells. I’m a bit biased though, and I’d rather go to a dedicated weight training location (or series of buildings) than do it at home and have to deal with storage.

holmes168
12-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Clubs are deceptively tough.
I have two 10# and two 15# and depending on where you hold them and what exercises you do they are shoulder burners.

Between the mace and the club- for a beginner- which would you suggest?

JodyH
12-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Between the mace and the club- for a beginner- which would you suggest?
Two 10# clubs.
A single 10# routine makes a great warmup routine for kettlebells and they make an awesome workout on their own with some of the double club exercises.
Some of the double club routines are intense deltoid and trapezius shoulder workouts, even with 10# clubs.

holmes168
12-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Two 10# clubs.
A single 10# routine makes a great warmup routine for kettlebells and they make an awesome workout on their own with some of the double club exercises.
Some of the double club routines are intense deltoid and trapezius shoulder workouts, even with 10# clubs.

Thanks- is there a different website besides Onnit you go too? I only see single club exercises on that website. I’ll definitely start with the 10# level.
I like the ability to purchase items like this- easy to store in the garage.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Thanks- is there a different website besides Onnit you go too? I only see single club exercises on that website. I’ll definitely start with the 10# level.
I like the ability to purchase items like this- easy to store in the garage.

Onnit Academy YouTube search "double clubs" (https://www.youtube.com/user/OnnitAcademy/search?query=double+clubs).

JodyH
12-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Combine this:

https://youtu.be/S3Wn0WCTma0

With this:

https://youtu.be/_bnWJymK0tU

Into one single "Double pullover side press" and your traps and delts will be on fire quickly.

JodyH
12-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Here's another favorite of mine:

https://youtu.be/CYO7HqD1Czs

holmes168
12-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Combine this:

https://youtu.be/S3Wn0WCTma0

With this:

https://youtu.be/_bnWJymK0tU

Into one single "Double pullover side press" and your traps and delts will be on fire quickly.

Thanks, Jody. Now time to start putting some workouts together!

JodyH
12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Jody. Now time to start putting some workouts together!
I'm making a thread about kettlebells and clubs n' workout stuff

RJ
12-05-2017, 11:00 AM
This makes me thankful that there are national 24/7 gym chains across the country with barbells. I’m a bit biased though, and I’d rather go to a dedicated weight training location (or series of buildings) than do it at home and have to deal with storage.

Not to drag travel into the thread, but I had a mixed experience with Anytime Fitness this summer.

While the concept of nationwide fitness centers sounded attractive, there was a surprising (to me anyway) lack of AT options ‘near’ where we were camping. This happened fairly frequently, to where I cancelled my membership.

The concept of a more personal workout scheme, using relatively compact equipment (KBs, dumbbells, yoga mat) and focus on diet, is much more appealing to me these days.

Trukinjp13
12-05-2017, 11:05 AM
As the op I approve of any health related detours [emoji1303]

Casual Friday
12-05-2017, 11:07 AM
I've been incorporating kettle bell swings and squats into my lifting routine for a few weeks and really like them. Thankfully the gym I go to now has them all the way to 110 lbs instead of the stay home mom gym I was at where they stopped at 40 lbs.

Trukinjp13
12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Okay. I am now two weeks in. Learning and buying more as I go. This is a extremely simple way to eat well. It is not cheap nor easy. I have to cook every meal if I want to eat good. But man. I love having taters and meat.

My pants are all loose now and my shirts are already baggy. I have not starved myself nor have fasted. I eat very good and having filling dinners. Fruits are basically sweets and thats fine with me. I am amazed at how effective this has been. I have tried a lot of diets. And usually they always give up a food group that seems insane to lose in a diet. This one fires on all cylinders for me.

holmes168
12-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Trukinjp13 good to hear. I'd recommend watching "What the Health". It's on Netflix.

David S.
12-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Joe Rogan interviews Dr. Shawn Baker. They talk extensively about diet, particularly the meat-only "Carnivore diet." Not something I intend to try, but I found the conversation interesting.

https://youtu.be/Yj_Bc9hdHa0

Trukinjp13
12-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Joe Rogan interviews Dr. Shawn Baker. They talk extensively about diet, particularly the meat-only "Carnivore diet." Not something I intend to try, but I found the conversation interesting.

https://youtu.be/Yj_Bc9hdHa0

I agree on the interesting part. I just finished a grilled bison burger. Tasty. I have not really found a diet program I will follow. They all seem a little too much one thing or another. I continue to be impressed my diet though. I am eating all the things I love. I have not counted one calorie/carb. It just comes naturally with eating. I have started eating some oatmeal in the am with a little maple syrup.

I also have finally got back to lifting and finally putting my latest gym improvements to use. Tonight was the most weight I have tried in awhile. I blew out my ankle and tore my rotator. So I have been pathetic with weights lately. But I was happy to feel good enough to put in good work. That was after a ten hour day and some stupid stuff around the house. I so not feel taxed at all or lacking anything nutritious like I have in the past.

jwperry
12-17-2017, 12:38 PM
The salted ghee (https://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Grass-Fed-4th-Heart-Certified/dp/B00VXQGY1Y/ref=pd_bxgy_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=M0HHQ13YFFMB8783QWDE&th=1) I like.I ordered both of these and have a question; how are you blending these into your coffee?
It seems I'm either taking a huge swig of oil or butter (haven't mixed both in the same cup) at the top or bottom of your cup?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

holmes168
12-17-2017, 12:53 PM
I ordered both of these and have a question; how are you blending these into your coffee?
It seems I'm either taking a huge swig of oil or butter (haven't mixed both in the same cup) at the top or bottom of your cup?

I use a blender for mine. I do a tbsp of MCT and maybe half of that on the ghee. Blend on high, after pouring, sprinkle cinnamon on top. Cinnamon is outstanding for many things.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/22014-cinnamon-health-benefits/

holmes168
12-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Healthy Moonshine Recipe

Boil two bags of tea in coffe cup full of water.
In big glass add- ice, the hot tea, 1.5 oz of apple cider vinegar, tsp of turmeric, and fill rest of glass with carbonated (bubbly) water. Stir and enjoy. The turmeric is great for health, along with the apple cider vinegar.

OnionsAndDragons
12-17-2017, 01:21 PM
I ordered both of these and have a question; how are you blending these into your coffee?

Little bullet blender is great for this. Or you could go fancy and get a frother.

I go on tbs mct little pat of butter or a spoon of ghee.

I like to add a tiny grate of cardamom to cut acidity.

jwperry
12-17-2017, 01:25 PM
I drank black coffee for years, so putting additives in it is new. I honestly don't mind the flavor/bitterness.
Not sure this will be for me, I'm always late in the morning and with more involvement than just "pour and go" I may result to cream if I want to increase my morning calorie intake.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

OnionsAndDragons
12-17-2017, 09:16 PM
You could always just dump it in a shaker bottle.

Trukinjp13
12-17-2017, 10:34 PM
I tried it a few times. I suck and tried to mix with a butter knife. Fail. Wife laughed after the last time, said hey dipshit use the bullet. Arghhh.

Side note, it is strange drinking coffee with stuff in it. Love me straight black coffee. But I could tell a difference in the bulletproof coffee. Especially on mornings where I did not eat.

OnionsAndDragons
12-18-2017, 02:45 AM
I tried it a few times. I suck and tried to mix with a butter knife. Fail. Wife laughed after the last time, said hey dipshit use the bullet. Arghhh.

Side note, it is strange drinking coffee with stuff in it. Love me straight black coffee. But I could tell a difference in the bulletproof coffee. Especially on mornings where I did not eat.

Your wife is smart. :)

I can take the coffee however it comes. Parents always went half&half with a small bit of sugar, I learned to love it black many years ago, now I like the bulletproof variety or just a little heavy cream with a pinch of cardamom.

BobLoblaw
12-18-2017, 01:10 PM
I don’t know how you guys can drink that bulletproof coffee. If you want diarrhea first thing in the morning they make breakfast hot pockets and Taco Bell opens at 7.

David S.
01-05-2018, 11:36 PM
An outstanding interview. She does a great job of simplifying the diet claims we've been discussing in this thread.

https://youtu.be/2_kEmYTiHtc

YVK
01-06-2018, 01:16 AM
I've tried my best to stay out of this thread and I'll keep trying to do so. I don't want to induce a pissing match. The comment that I want to make is this: I cannot understand why people take one idea that they find rebellious, almost sensational, new [to them, people in our field have been talking about risk of sugars, simple carbs, food industry work on sweet taste desensitization etc for a long time], prove it to be meritorious and educate public correctly, and then just screw it up by attaching it to another idea, that saturated fats and cholesterol are not dangerous, which is completely asinine?
I can quote randomized studies, epidemiological studies, talk about familial or early acquired fat handling disease when everyone is dead by 30-40 regardless of their carb intake, talk about life experiences of working in a place where CV disease is the worst in the world, talk about 15 years of experience of looking at human vessels from the inside and seeing what sat fats, LDL and their manipulations do or don't do. That usually is pointless when somebody thinks that saturated fat is OK, so I just thank them for job security for me and PaulD. Somebody thinks that exercise will negate their dietary indiscretions, whether sugar or fat overeating, by now I can field a hockey team of gym rats and outdoors nuts who thought so too until I had to fix their heart attacks, but nobody thinks that it will happen to them so all is well.
All I would say is that, in my experience, the extremes of anything rarely do everything well, diet included.

RJ
01-06-2018, 09:49 AM
I don’t know how you guys can drink that bulletproof coffee. If you want diarrhea first thing in the morning they make breakfast hot pockets and Taco Bell opens at 7.

Yeah.

I’m glad I didn’t blow $50 on holy corn oil (oil from the corns of Holy Men (very few will get this joke)) and ghee butter. I mean, I tried it with Coconut Oil and Kerrygold Irish butter but geez after a few days I just could not stand the taste.

Although now I do have a cool frother from BBB that works well whipping up eggs. :cool:

This morning I fried up some chopped Rose’s Canadian Bacon with olive oil and paprika, added two eggs whipped with a t of half and half, and cooked it omelette style for a delicious egg scramble.

Trukinjp13
01-08-2018, 12:14 PM
I've tried my best to stay out of this thread and I'll keep trying to do so. I don't want to induce a pissing match. The comment that I want to make is this: I cannot understand why people take one idea that they find rebellious, almost sensational, new [to them, people in our field have been talking about risk of sugars, simple carbs, food industry work on sweet taste desensitization etc for a long time], prove it to be meritorious and educate public correctly, and then just screw it up by attaching it to another idea, that saturated fats and cholesterol are not dangerous, which is completely asinine?
I can quote randomized studies, epidemiological studies, talk about familial or early acquired fat handling disease when everyone is dead by 30-40 regardless of their carb intake, talk about life experiences of working in a place where CV disease is the worst in the world, talk about 15 years of experience of looking at human vessels from the inside and seeing what sat fats, LDL and their manipulations do or don't do. That usually is pointless when somebody thinks that saturated fat is OK, so I just thank them for job security for me and PaulD. Somebody thinks that exercise will negate their dietary indiscretions, whether sugar or fat overeating, by now I can field a hockey team of gym rats and outdoors nuts who thought so too until I had to fix their heart attacks, but nobody thinks that it will happen to them so all is well.
All I would say is that, in my experience, the extremes of anything rarely do everything well, diet included.

I am not trying to disagree with what you said at all. But most of the posters in the thread have not said to eat beef and butter all day and you will be fine. I started it obviously. And I have found that a lot of the posts that have happened in the thread have helped me. I am not eating only red meats and butter. I have actually ate less red meat and butter then I have in a long time. I also think that the bulletproof coffee and such have a place. Some people by nature of their eating may eat less fat and cholesterol. So they can afford to intake it a different way.

It is great to hear what y’all have to say. Their are a lot of diff people with different point of views and experiences. I think that is what is great about good forums. You take what works best for you and craft it into your own. All of us are different. Some people can eat certain foods that others can not.

I am glad you posted in here and do not understand the pissing contest deal. This is your experience with a certain style of eating. How it effects the human body. Hopefully someone will pluck some knowledge from your post and think about it.

YVK
01-08-2018, 07:56 PM
I am glad you posted in here and do not understand the pissing contest deal.

People get irritated when others speak negatively about their life choices. This in turn often creates adverse interactions. I wrote that as a preemptive step to indicate that no frictions of that type will arise as a result of my dissent with some things that were posted here.

littlejerry
01-08-2018, 08:51 PM

I generally agree with you.

Some people I think misconstrue "eat more fat" with "eat only fat, and lots of it."

The great thing about animal fat is it's very calorie dense, so a little goes a long way. On the opposite end of the spectrum most vegetables have very low calories per weight.

When you consider volume of food you should be eating a ton of veggies. It takes a lot of spinach to equal the caloric value of a a chicken thigh: one thigh might be ~250 calories while 16oz of spinach only has ~100 calories.

My point is: by volume you can be eating 80% vegetables and still have a balanced but fat rich diet. So eat your veggies and enjoy some good fatty meat, but always in moderation.

OnionsAndDragons
01-09-2018, 03:03 AM
I generally agree with you.

Some people I think misconstrue "eat more fat" with "eat only fat, and lots of it."

The great thing about animal fat is it's very calorie dense, so a little goes a long way. On the opposite end of the spectrum most vegetables have very low calories per weight.

When you consider volume of food you should be eating a ton of veggies. It takes a lot of spinach to equal the caloric value of a a chicken thigh: one thigh might be ~250 calories while 16oz of spinach only has ~100 calories.

My point is: by volume you can be eating 80% vegetables and still have a balanced but fat rich diet. So eat your veggies and enjoy some good fatty meat, but always in moderation.

This is a better way of saying what I was thinking.

I really don't think most people that stay with a higher fat, low carb, diet wind up eating the ridiculous amounts of fats that some assume.

I know that when I was making the adjustment to it, I ate a lot the first few weeks. I attribute this to the satiety feeling from the fats replacing my sugar hits of before. After that adjustment period, I started consuming much less. I just ate enough to not feel hungry, and that feeling lasted longer than on previous diet structures.

Do I eat more fats than the typical "healthy" American? Yep. Sure do. I also eat a buttload of green veggies and others pretty much every single day.

I have been careful to have my doc do full panels on me twice a year since I started, and had him do a cholesterol analysis last year. I may just be genetically predisposed to do well with this type of diet, but I'm sure that my doctor is very pleased with the results on my health and well being.

There are definitely people with certain genes that will not do well, or damage themselves, eating this way. I think anyone that decides to do this seriously ought to be getting some regular testing to monitor and track what it is doing yo their biology over time.

JodyH
01-09-2018, 09:04 AM
The only person I know that's had significant health issues after switching to a high fat, high protein low carb diet was a former HUGE guy.
He went from 300# to 165# in about a year, was big into Crossfit and Spartan races.
Then he had a heart attack.
What plugged his arteries? 30 years of whatever he ate when he weighed 300#, the last 7 years of "Hippie diet" or just bad genetics? Combination of it all?

I'm a fan of all things in moderation.
But as a general rule I actively avoid sugar and passively avoid carbs in favor of proteins and monounsaturated fats.

YVK
01-09-2018, 09:34 AM
and had him do a cholesterol analysis last year.

Five likes for this. I would strongly suggest to keep following your lipids annually if you were on any sort of increased lipid diet, with careful attention to assessment of overall vascular risks.

rob_s
01-09-2018, 10:04 AM
I don't understand how all these "diets" became a thing. Half the time it seems like people trying to over-correct for a lifetime (or half lifetime, or quarter lifetime) of over-indulgence and lack of self control, and the other half the time it seems like people are just bored looking for a hobby and something to talk about (witness all the people that can't stop babbling away about their "diet" and it's magical properties, both in person and online).

I look at my own grandparents, all of whom lived to or over 80, and I don't recall a single one of them ever talking about their food in this way. They just ate. The ones that went before they turned 80 did so due to a lifetime of smoking, so that's not really a diet thing. They all ate simple, traditional American food but none were fat or overweight despite the fact that none was terribly active.

I think this obsession with "diet" is a first world problem that springs from people having too much mental time on their hands. I say this as someone that's done "paleo" and "body for live" and several other whatever they call them. now I just eat what I want, around the same time every day, don't over-indulge, and generally don't eat a lot of sweets.

Trukinjp13
01-09-2018, 11:14 AM
To me this has nothing to do with some fad diet. I have been overweight most of my life. And it has nothing to
do with over indulgence. Or not being active or physical. It has to do with how my body reacts to certain foods. This thread has been helpful to me and I hope others. Please do not come in and disrespect it as “diet fodder”. I have grown up with a diabetic father who is not overweight. Who did not eat too many sweets. My grandfather has it. My sister has it. I have always tried to eat low sugar and all that bs. But clearly it did not help me. I have changed my lifestyle. I do not eat breads/pastas/chips or any of that.

This is not a obsession to me and I do not think to some of the posters who have dropped real knowledge in here. This is my life and my health.

JodyH
01-09-2018, 11:51 AM
I look at my own grandparents, all of whom lived to or over 80, and I don't recall a single one of them ever talking about their food in this way. They just ate. The ones that went before they turned 80 did so due to a lifetime of smoking, so that's not really a diet thing. They all ate simple, traditional American food but none were fat or overweight despite the fact that none was terribly active.
The foods I ate growing up in the '70's may externally resemble the food that is in the stores today... but it's not the same thing.
Hormones, genetic modification, corn syrup, aliens, Soylent, something has changed in the US food supply for the worse over just the past 40 years much less over the past 80 years.

Growing up in the '70's there was always *the* fat kid.
When I pick my boy up from HS these days he is *the* skinny kid.

peterb
01-09-2018, 12:41 PM
The foods I ate growing up in the '70's may externally resemble the food that is in the stores today... but it's not the same thing.
Hormones, genetic modification, corn syrup, aliens, Soylent, something has changed in the US food supply for the worse over just the past 40 years much less over the past 80 years.

Growing up in the '70's there was always *the* fat kid.
When I pick my boy up from HS these days he is *the* skinny kid.

Portion sizes, between-meal snacking, and eating on the run have also all increased dramatically since the 70s.

rob_s
01-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Portion sizes, between-meal snacking, and eating on the run have also all increased dramatically since the 70s.

Not to mention cancellation of PE and recess in government schools, and Xbox replacing outdoor play.

rob_s
01-09-2018, 12:55 PM

I don't buy this as the reason that there is "a" skinny kid. not for a second.

Trukinjp13
01-09-2018, 01:02 PM
I don't buy this as the reason that there is "a" skinny kid. not for a second.

Interesting. Because since I have dumped all that junk from my diet I have already lost weight and feel better.

100% because of what is in food now a days.

delkancott
01-09-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm not an expert in anything, so use all the grains of salt when you read whatever I say.

I am a farmer though and know what food looks like and what it doesn't look like. Both food for animals and food for people. What most people consume these days is not food. If you cannot replicate it in your home or on your land, it isn't food. It is a diet accessory and it doesn't make anyone look good.

Speaking from personal experience, for the past two years, my wife and I cut out dairy, cut back sugars on the whole and reduced non-food items to substantially, but certainly not 100% (me at least, she has more will power) and I lost 20-30 pounds without doing anything else. Now I'm not a sedentary person, but I wasn't before either.

Like I said, take it for what you want, or what you don't, but I think by simply eating food instead of the "other stuff" in the store you'll feel better, be healthier and have a more comfortable AIWB ;).

JodyH
01-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Not to mention cancellation of PE and recess in government schools, and Xbox replacing outdoor play.
Elementary school my boy had recess everyday after lunch.
Middle School he had mandatory PE, including a timed 1 mile run with your grade dependent on how your times improved throughout the year.
High School he has 1 hour of marching band every morning and 2.5-3 hours of tennis every afternoon.
As to XBox... I played the shit out of Atari and Nintendo when I was his age.

OnionsAndDragons
01-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Five likes for this. I would strongly suggest to keep following your lipids annually if you were on any sort of increased lipid diet, with careful attention to assessment of overall vascular risks.

And I plan to. I just got it approved for this year as a preventive care diagnostic with my new insurance, which I was worried about.

I would see it as unwise to make the sort of drastic shift I did without at least monitoring closely for a few years. If the trend continues how it has for me, I'm sure we will discuss if we should continue yearly screening or scale back to every other.

I have a lot of experience with medical observation and taking small changes seriously after surviving a very rare bone disease as a kid. I know I have heart risk factors in my family tree. I take that seriously.

Hopefully I got lucky and inherited more of the heart health genes of my father.

YVK
01-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Take it one step up, do "an advanced planning". Get the raw lab data, you'll also need your blood pressure, then calculate your projected CV risk. This is the current basic predictive tool we use http://tools.acc.org/LDL/ascvd_risk_estimator/index.html#!/calulate/estimator/. You can also download a free app for your phone. I teach my patients about it, most find it very helpful.

Calculate your current 10 year predicted risk, see if you like it. This is a long term game and age weighs in very heavily; if you're younger, your risk gets negated quite a bit. So change your age to +10 years and see what it will be then assuming other parameters stayed unchanged. Play with other parameters if you'd like. It is a very thought provoking exercise.

NEPAKevin
01-10-2018, 01:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4

or Soylent Meal Replacement Products (https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/9452842011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Soylent&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_9452842011)?

OnionsAndDragons
01-15-2018, 01:20 AM
Take it one step up, do "an advanced planning". Get the raw lab data, you'll also need your blood pressure, then calculate your projected CV risk. This is the current basic predictive tool we use http://tools.acc.org/LDL/ascvd_risk_estimator/index.html#!/calulate/estimator/. You can also download a free app for your phone. I teach my patients about it, most find it very helpful.

Calculate your current 10 year predicted risk, see if you like it. This is a long term game and age weighs in very heavily; if you're younger, your risk gets negated quite a bit. So change your age to +10 years and see what it will be then assuming other parameters stayed unchanged. Play with other parameters if you'd like. It is a very thought provoking exercise.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info, YVK. I will definitely request the raw lab data when I go in for the next one in 3 months.

peterb
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Hippie food history.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/01/23/579186110/the-far-out-history-of-how-hippie-food-spread-across-america

Trukinjp13
01-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Diet is going strong. Biggest problem is eating organic/grass fed all the time. But no dairy/cheese. Been going almond/coconut milk. Just started the smoothie game last week. Wish I did it earlier.

Dropping the processed shit is exactly how I have gotten here. I feel better and have more energy. I have never starved myself or just eaten a bunch of fat.

Meat
Potatoes
Fruit
Vegetables

RJ
02-23-2018, 06:22 PM
I’ve been very consistent last 11 days. Getting about 1,600 calories, and been focusing on eliminating sugar/carbs, and increasing protein and fats. The scale is heading in the right direction, and I am down a notch on my EDC belt.

I have a question though. I want to refactor breakfast when I start in cooking again (our kitchen is going through a reno) next week. I’d like to list what is a typical breakfast for me, and ask for advice on takeaways/adds y’all would suggest:

- 2 mugs strong coffee
- Packet Truvia per mug
- 1 T half and half per mug

- 2 fried eggs
- Olive oil
- 3 pcs Canadian Bacon *or*
- 2 pcs Bacon

Thoughts?

I’m wondering if I should:

- Ditch the creamer for a T of Kerrygold butter? (I can’t stomach Coconut oil)

- On the Truvia, I have a wicked sweet tooth, but I noticed the Truvia has carbs. Is there a sweetener that doesn’t have carbs and doesn’t cause cancer in lab rats?

- Add 1/2 Avocado?

- Is there a better breakfast protein? I normally hate turkey, but what about these turkey patties?

Any other suggestions I might be missing would be appreciated. I’m very much a creature of habit so I don’t mind having exactly the same thing day after day.

Thanks!

Robinson
02-23-2018, 11:45 PM
I've started eating less and less for breakfast and I don't miss the calories. Just 1-2 cups of good black coffee and maybe two eggs fried in olive oil. Once in a while a bowl of steel cut oats (sweetened with Truvia) for variety. Then on Sundays my wife and I eat a bigger breakfast with either sausage or bacon and eggs or maybe some waffles for a treat.

One of the challenges for me is just facing the fact that I need less calories as I get older, even though I still work out regularly.

David S.
02-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Rubin Report: Genious Foods w/ Max Lugavere. (https://art19.com/shows/the-rubin-report/episodes/16390c1d-a027-4ab4-b4b3-48bdf6022da9) 1h15m interview.

Cookie Monster
02-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Rich_Jenkins - The last few weeks I have beeen add about a 1/2 cup to 1cup of cooked vegetables to my 2 eggs. I’ve noticed A longer time before I am hungry again and the added fiber beneficial. I will fry up a quart of vegetables on Sunday for the week ahead.

It took me a long time to move to black coffee but I found it superior in the long run. I have since moved to black tea to green tea to this week no caffeine which is going to suck. I would keep rocking the green tea but Doctor order elimination diet.

David S.
02-24-2018, 09:57 AM
I typically skip breakfast. “Most important meal” is a load of crap, IMO. Skipping breakfast is the easiest way to extend your fast and apparently a lot of positive things happen metabolically when you continue to fast after waking up.

I don’t think fat consumption is bad for you like sugar/carb consumption, but I don’t go out of my way to add fat to my diet either. I eat whatever fat just happens as part of what I eat. I prefer normal/whole fat to low or non fat products. Fatty cuts of meat? Oil based salad dressing? Avacados? No problem. My goal is to improve the quality of fat intake (grass fed > CAFO, butter > margarine, olive/coconut oil > grain/soy based oil) rather than increase/decrease quantity. I’m not sure we should be consuming fat for its own sake, particularly if your goal is weight loss.

Drang
02-25-2018, 06:39 AM
“Most important meal” is a load of crap, IMO.
It's a quote from Checkov's Metamorphosis, which, while I know pretty much jack/shit about Russian literature, is the one about the dude that turns into a cockroach...

JAD
02-25-2018, 06:53 AM
Kafka. If Chekhov had written Metamorphosis Uncle Vanya would have tuned into a potato.

RJ
02-27-2018, 10:04 AM
I’ve been very consistent last 11 days. Getting about 1,600 calories, and been focusing on eliminating sugar/carbs, and increasing protein and fats. The scale is heading in the right direction, and I am down a notch on my EDC belt.

I have a question though. I want to refactor breakfast when I start in cooking again (our kitchen is going through a reno) next week. I’d like to list what is a typical breakfast for me, and ask for advice on takeaways/adds y’all would suggest:

- 2 mugs strong coffee
- Packet Truvia per mug
- 1 T half and half per mug

- 2 fried eggs
- Olive oil
- 3 pcs Canadian Bacon *or*
- 2 pcs Bacon

Thoughts?

I’m wondering if I should:

- Ditch the creamer for a T of Kerrygold butter? (I can’t stomach Coconut oil)

- On the Truvia, I have a wicked sweet tooth, but I noticed the Truvia has carbs. Is there a sweetener that doesn’t have carbs and doesn’t cause cancer in lab rats?

- Add 1/2 Avocado?

- Is there a better breakfast protein? I normally hate turkey, but what about these turkey patties?

Any other suggestions I might be missing would be appreciated. I’m very much a creature of habit so I don’t mind having exactly the same thing day after day.

Thanks!

So, the last three days I’ve:

- Removed the usual two packets of Truvia (6 g carbs) and two T of half and half (2 g carbs) from my coffee

- Added a t of Kerrygold Irish butter (good oil, no carbs)

I think long term this is a significant change, not that those net 8 carbs were killing me, so much as they were hidden. I’m now trying to get below net carbs of 30, 20 being a target, and that wasn’t helping.

Definitely seeing an effect, I’m down a solid 4 lbs, shirts are looser and the gun belt down a notch, is looser also. Looking for a good loss for Feb from my logged weight of 198 to at least 194 and hopefully lower on 3/1. Being as I’ve really been only focusing on diet the last 14 or so days, I’m optimistic for March.

I also discovered a motivational app called 8fit with some manageable exercise programs and reminders, kind of like an electronic coach. Tried it out this morning and I liked it.

It says my 25% fat weight is 174, which is probably much closer to where I should be. So, I have about 20 lbs to go.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180227/d8881234ae9a47c9601ffca133ca8a78.jpg

MGW
02-27-2018, 09:27 PM
Rich have you ever tried cinnamon in your coffee? I like to add some occasionally as a change of pace.

RJ
02-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Rich have you ever tried cinnamon in your coffee? I like to add some occasionally as a change of pace.

Huh.

No but that sounds interesting. The coffee with butter is not bad, just kinda.. buttery. I’ll try the cinnamon though.

Thanks!

David S.
05-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Vaguely related. Joe Rogan had an fascinating conversation with Matthew Walker, professor of Neuroscience and Psychology, on sleep.

Sleep deprivation significantly reduces your ability lose weight.
8 hours of quality sleep is hugely important.
You are probably not one of the few people that can thrive on reduced sleep.

https://youtu.be/pwaWilO_Pig

Trukinjp13
05-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Vaguely related. Joe Rogan had an fascinating conversation with Matthew Walker, professor of Neuroscience and Psychology, on sleep.

Sleep deprivation significantly reduces your ability lose weight.
8 hours of quality sleep is hugely important.
You are probably not one of the few people that can thrive on reduced sleep.

https://youtu.be/pwaWilO_Pig

This is my biggest problem and has been my whole life. If I can get 5-6 a night I am doing good.

SecondsCount
05-19-2018, 10:52 PM

This is basically my diet. I try to get as much plant based as I can stand and mix it up with lean meats.

I still enjoy ice cream but try to limit it to once a week.