PDA

View Full Version : New Federal action pistol load

peterb
11-26-2017, 06:31 AM
Just saw this in a review in the latest USPA magazine:

"...Federal Premium sent 10k rounds of the soon-to-be-released 150gr 9mm Action Pistol ammunition for the side match. The ammo is designed specifically for meeting USPA minor power factor; they havecdeveloped a round with a heavy bullet and elongated the felt recoil to make it a very flat shooting round. There were many competitors asking when they could get their hands on it. The official release will be Jan 2018."

The ad across the page reads:

"Elevate your game and improve your score with new Syntech Action Pistol competition ammo from Federal. The polymer-encapsulated syntech bullet eliminates copper and lead fouling. When combined with the Catalyst lead-free primer for a cleaner burn, you'll experience less recoil, less residue, reduced report, allowing you to shoot quicker, and enjoy a better shooting experience."

From the photo, the bullets are bright red. The box is labeled "Syntech Total Syntheic Jacket Technology"

TGS
11-26-2017, 09:01 AM
It's like some old dude at Federal kept plugging away at his unwinnable battle of getting them to produce Nyclad again, and they finally gave him this as a compromise and consolation prize on his way out the door.

I've never felt that copper fouling was a problem in any pistol I've owned, or been loaned at work.

ST911
11-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Lead projectile but a lead free primer?

mtnbkr
11-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Lead projectile but a lead free primer?

Primer-based lead is the greater source of lead contamination in ranges and in humans.

Chris

Jim Watson
11-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Coated is probably more accurate than plated.

I wonder when a factory will offer 9mm Major so shooters with more spare money than time can be competitive in Open.
It ought to be easy, the Internet experts are always telling us about the secret sauce factory load powders. Surely they can whip up something with a high velocity vs pressure output.

okie john
11-26-2017, 12:43 PM
It's like some old dude at Federal kept plugging away at his unwinnable battle of getting them to produce Nyclad again, and they finally gave him this as a compromise and consolation prize on his way out the door.

I've never felt that copper fouling was a problem in any pistol I've owned, or been loaned at work.

Nyclad, exactly.

Okie John

Rex G
11-26-2017, 03:36 PM
If it is kinder and gentler to my aging wrists, hands, and thumbs, I am interested. I cannot do all of my training with .22 LR; some numbers of rounds need to be fired with centerfire ammo, for a greater degree of realism.

olstyn
11-26-2017, 05:28 PM
There was a lot of the 115 grain Syntech given away as door prizes at the MN USPSA section match this summer. (Federal sponsored the match.) As a result, I shot 200 rounds of it this fall. Even the 115 grain stuff knocked down steel just fine for me, and accuracy seemed to be on par with other ammo I've shot through the same gun. I imagine that a 150 grain version will do what they claim and be quite popular with those who shoot USPSA and IDPA but don't hand load.

ranger
11-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Coated is probably more accurate than plated.

I wonder when a factory will offer 9mm Major so shooters with more spare money than time can be competitive in Open.
It ought to be easy, the Internet experts are always telling us about the secret sauce factory load powders. Surely they can whip up something with a high velocity vs pressure output.

I am sure that the major ammo manufacturers are concerned that someone will use the "major" power factor ammo in a substandard gun then sue them.

WDR
11-26-2017, 05:42 PM
If this round is priced anything like the 115gr version, it's going to be a lot more expensive than old fashioned 115/124/147gr ball, which kills it for me. If it was priced similar to the AE line, I'd consider buying some to try.

Lon
11-26-2017, 07:07 PM
If this round is priced anything like the 115gr version, it's going to be a lot more expensive than old fashioned 115/124/147gr ball, which kills it for me. If it was priced similar to the AE line, I'd consider buying some to try.

This.

JSGlock34
02-24-2018, 01:36 PM
I tried the Federal Syntech Action Pistol 150 grain 9mm (https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/syntech-9mm-luger-150gr-total-synthetic-jacket-action-pistol-ammo-prod104249.aspx) ammunition this morning in my G34. I thought it compared very favorably to the Atlanta Arms Select 147 grain FMJ (https://atlantaarms.com/products/copy-of-9mm-147gr-select-fmj.html) I also brought along. Very soft shooting and accurate. It's a little pricier than standard range ammunition (I purchased a 500 round case from Brownells at $130 shipped), but that's still slightly cheaper than the Atlanta Arms ammunition, and is new factory ammo vice reloads. I'll be buying more for match use.

1986s4
03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
I am sure that the major ammo manufacturers are concerned that someone will use the "major" power factor ammo in a substandard gun then sue them.

This, very much so.

Norville
03-25-2018, 09:59 AM
I picked up 500 rounds on sale from Brownell’s and finally tried it yesterday.

Less recoil than the AE 147 which is my usual USPSA load. The 147 is typically 142-145 PF out of my G34s, so this is probably in the 130-135 range as claimed. POI was identical to the 147. The brass essentially dribbled out, landing maybe a foot to my right. I am running a 13 lb spring, it may be time for the Vogel endorsed 11 lb if I adopt this for regular use.

The only problem is have probably 7k rounds of the AE on hand. Good thing it keeps.

JSGlock34
05-12-2018, 02:18 PM
After my positive experience with the 9mm Syntech, I had my eye out for the .45 Syntech 220 grain Action Pistol (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018433026/federal-american-eagle-syntech-action-pistol-ammunition-45-acp-220-grain-total-synthetic-jacket) load. I finally managed to order a case from MidwayUSA and fired two boxes today at the close of my practice through my Wilson Combat 1911.

While hardly exhaustive, I was able to draw some initial impressions. It was reliable - everything went bang. I started with 'The Test' (10 rounds, 10 yards, 10 seconds) and I managed two of three clean runs. Recoil was noticeably softer than my usual 185 grain Winchester FMJ practice load. Accuracy seemed on par with other practice ammunition (I've yet to find a load that the Wilson doesn't shoot well); at the next session I'll try to dig a bit deeper on POA/POI.

If I decide to shoot Single Stack I'd make this my competition ammunition, but at $22/box it's simply too pricey for general practice. I hope these Syntech Action Pistol loads catch on and prices drop.

GJM
07-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Any updates — anyone run a quantity of the 150 grain 9mm load and have impressions?

Sal Picante
07-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Any updates — anyone run a quantity of the 150 grain 9mm load and have impressions?

Ask Tim Herron or Casey Reed - I think Casey runs this stuff in matches now. Tim may have run a few boxes of this stuff.

150 feels a lot like 147. Loaded with a good powder, they all feel soft...

GyroF-16
07-30-2018, 02:34 PM
I ordered a case 6 weeks or so ago. I’ve fired about 500 rounds for local IDPA matches, and some limited use in practice sessions.
I find it very consistent and soft-shooting. And VERY clean. Spent brass looks barely used, inside and out. The cleanest I’ve seen for fired brass. Leaves the gun pretty clean, too.

I liked it well enough that I have 2000 more rounds on hand now. I think it will be my competition round until I develop a similarly soft-shooting 147 grain reload (and use up the 2k 115 gr bullets I’ve been loading & shooting for practice).

I’d recommend it if you don’t feel like loading your own.

MVS
07-30-2018, 08:29 PM
I picked up two boxes at the Area 5 Steel Challenge Championships this past weekend. I took it out tonight and shot it through my Gen4 G17 with DPP. Started with a 10 shot Unsupported FS group at 25 yards. With my gun zeroed for 124 Blazer Brass the 150's shot 2 inches low. Of the 10 shots 8 were in a 2.5 inch group with 2 called flyers opening it up to 4 inches. At 50 yards off my range bag it was a 3 inch tall 5 inch wide group 5 inches low.

Next up was the Vickers 300. 5 yard WHO 100 10 X, yanked 1 SHO shot almost off the target with all of the rest low right in the 9/10 ring. At 20 yards I shot a 93 with 3X. These results lead me to believe that accuracy is good and would be very good in the hands of a better shooter.

To test cycling I then shot the other box in a combination of Bill drills, Blake Drills, and 2 to the head at 10 drills. It was easy to control though not as light recoiling as the 147 grain Freedom match ammo that i gave up on due to light primer strikes and a squib. All in all it seems like good ammo. If I want to use it for the Indiana USPSA Section they will deliver it there at match day for $12/50. Not sure if that is what I am going to do or not.

RJ
08-02-2018, 08:43 PM
https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11232991?source=A10003

Federal Syntech Action Pistol 9MM 150Gr Total Synthetic Jacket 50 Round Box AE9SJAP1

Just followed a link on book face; I am looking into this ammo for Production and this was a pretty good price ($11.41/50) from what I’ve seen recently.

JSGlock34
08-03-2018, 01:49 AM
https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11232991?source=A10003

Federal Syntech Action Pistol 9MM 150Gr Total Synthetic Jacket 50 Round Box AE9SJAP1

Just followed a link on book face; I am looking into this ammo for Production and this was a pretty good price ($11.41/50) from what I’ve seen recently.

That's as low a price as I've seen on this ammunition, but the shipping is pretty high.

RJ
08-03-2018, 06:09 AM
That's as low a price as I've seen on this ammunition, but the shipping is pretty high.

Dang you are right. $138/500 shipped to me.

I looked at Brownells through the p-f link. They have a sale going at $113.99/500, with shipping at $9.95. Win. [emoji4]

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/syntech-9mm-luger-150gr-total-synthetic-jacket-action-pistol-ammo-prod104249.aspx

I ordered 500 to check it out.

RJ
08-10-2018, 05:56 PM
My small order arrived. Chamber checks ok.

Will try it at the square range Sunday.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180810/ef05fd37b1465e953224b22e4c2411f7.jpg

RJ
08-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Shot 50 rounds of this Syntech today out of my stock G19.5. Feels fairly soft, impulse wise.

I have stock height rears and a 0.180” Ameriglo Front. Using a cover the dot hold, it seemed POI=POA for me. Did a 253 on a Vickers 300.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/d0adf5721ce43dcc8767298e54568385.jpg

einherjarvalk
09-22-2018, 09:37 PM
I bought a case of this ammo last week when Brownells had a $10 off $100 coupon and the ammo was actually in stock. Ran 50 rounds through my P30L today, and I was legitimately shocked at how light the recoil was while shooting Dot Torture. If I couldn't see my bullet holes, I'd have just assumed the first shot was a squib.

Going to pack another 100 rounds for an outlaw match tomorrow; hopefully it'll do me right. I can't see this replacing my standard "whatever's cheapest" 115/124 gr brass training loads, but I can see myself keeping a few hundred on hand for any application where a timer is involved.

GuanoLoco
09-22-2018, 11:17 PM
If it is kinder and gentler to my aging wrists, hands, and thumbs, I am interested. I cannot do all of my training with .22 LR; some numbers of rounds need to be fired with centerfire ammo, for a greater degree of realism.

Shoot a heavy steel gun like a Beretta.

Jim Watson
09-23-2018, 08:03 AM
I saw a good deal of the Federal at the Steel Challenge match yesterday. If I were not a reloader, it would be a good choice.

strow
09-23-2018, 03:20 PM
The Federal Action 150gr is noticeably the softest shooting factory ammo I have tried.

The Federal Action 124 feels about like AE124 but a dollar or more a box more.

I have not shot either for groups at 25yd or 50yd.

GJM
10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
The Federal 150 feels extremely soft when shooting. However, espite the feel, my times are faster when shooting American Eagle 115.

strow
10-04-2018, 04:27 PM
The Federal 150 feels extremely soft when shooting. However, espite the feel, my times are faster when shooting American Eagle 115.

GJM, not to drift the thread...but. Do you think this has more to do with physics or psychology(perception) or a bit of both?

peterb
10-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Shot a little of the 150 in a G19 today. Felt distinctly softer than the Lawman 147 I was alternating with. Probably a good choice for a new shooter’s first time with a 9mm.

No good time or accuracy data. Was having trouble with consistency with both loads — software, not hardware.

RJ
10-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Had a FTF with the Syntech 150 gr today at a USPSA Match.

Come to think of it now I had one in a weekend class two weeks ago.

Gun is a November purchase Glock 19.5 with approximately 3,000 rounds through it. These are the only two times it’s failed to go bang.

GJM
10-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Had a FTF with the Syntech 150 gr today at a USPSA Match.

Come to think of it now I had one in a weekend class two weeks ago.

Gun is a November purchase Glock 19.5 with approximately 3,000 rounds through it. These are the only two times it’s failed to go bang.

Did you save the two rounds and try to fire them again?

RJ
10-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Did you save the two rounds and try to fire them again?

No they were just ejected in the heat of the drill/stage, and I moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WDR
10-14-2018, 04:46 PM
No they were just ejected in the heat of the drill/stage, and I moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear: Failure to FIRE... or failure to FEED?

RJ
10-14-2018, 04:56 PM
To be clear: Failure to FIRE... or failure to FEED?

Fire.

Press trigger = no loud noise.

WDR
10-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Fire.

Press trigger = no loud noise.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/267463-syntech-150-gr-tumbling/

Rambling around the internet and saw this thread... with some folks having tumbling issues (might be gun related in his case), but also FTF issues. Maybe they had a bad batch of primers or improper primer seating in the case. Uncommon with modern factory ammo, but not unheard of.

Pull out a box or two and eyeball the primer seating depths, or run a finger over the primers, feeling for high ones vs properly seated. They should be flush, or just a smidge below the case head. Anything sitting proud means the primer anvil might not be in position to make for a good ignition, and the primer may move forward when impacted by the striker/firing pin, absorbing some of the impact.

GyroF-16
10-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Rambling around the internet and saw this thread... with some folks having tumbling issues (might be gun related in his case), but also FTF issues. Maybe they had a bad batch of primers or improper primer seating in the case. Uncommon with modern factory ammo, but not unheard of.

Pull out a box or two and eyeball the primer seating depths, or run a finger over the primers, feeling for high ones vs properly seated. They should be flush, or just a smidge below the case head. Anything sitting proud means the primer anvil might not be in position to make for a good ignition, and the primer may move forward when impacted by the striker/firing pin, absorbing some of the impact.

No tumbling or FTF for me. I was surprised to find 2 split casings in the last 500 rds, though. I’ve got 9mm WIN brass that’s been fired 8 times, and no splits in that lot, but having it happen with factory ammo is odd.

Anyone else seeing that?

RJ
10-23-2018, 06:01 PM

I picked out a box at random just now out of my remaining stash. I was unable to feel or see anything unusual in any of the 50 primers. So I dunno.

JSGlock34
02-18-2019, 02:30 PM

So I was having excellent, consistent experience with the 150 grain Syntech Action Pistol...right until this weekend. Multiple light strikes over two range sessions. Pistol was a Glock 34 with OEM trigger components; to be sure it was the ammo, I detail stripped the slide, gave it a thorough cleaning, and swapped striker springs. Still had the occasional light strike today. Everything lit on a second strike. Improper primer seating seems a likely culprit.

Unfortunately, this is my match ammo. I decided to regulate the current batch to practice only, and opened a different case for this week's match. I inspected the primers as I loaded my magazines, so hopefully there will be no surprises. Federal needs to up their QC game.

This is very disappointing though, considering my previous positive observations with this ammunition to date.

ST911
02-18-2019, 02:56 PM
So I was having excellent, consistent experience with the 150 grain Syntech Action Pistol...right until this weekend. Multiple light strikes over two range sessions. Pistol was a Glock 34 with OEM trigger components; to be sure it was the ammo, I detail stripped the slide, gave it a thorough cleaning, and swapped striker springs. Still had the occasional light strike today. Everything lit on a second strike. Improper primer seating seems a likely culprit.

Unfortunately, this is my match ammo. I decided to regulate the current batch to practice only, and opened a different case for this week's match. I inspected the primers as I loaded my magazines, so hopefully there will be no surprises. Federal needs to up their QC game.

This is very disappointing though, considering my previous positive observations with this ammunition to date.

Did you let Federal know?
Can you post a lot#?

JSGlock34
02-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Did you let Federal know?
Can you post a lot#?

Just happened this weekend so I haven't engaged Federal - unfortunately, not sure I will since I had discarded the case and boxes when I dumped this ammo into an ammo can.

Alpha Sierra
02-18-2019, 06:23 PM
The beauty of reloading...........is that I can make better ammo than any factory can.

WDR
02-19-2019, 10:58 AM
The beauty of reloading...........is that I can make better ammo than any factory can.

You can also screw the pooch in a few easy steps... No one is perfect. ;) Without a lot number to work with, Federal probably can't/won't be able to do much.

Alpha Sierra
02-19-2019, 11:53 AM
You can also screw the pooch in a few easy steps...

With single stage reloading, very difficult to screw it up and very easy to notice when you do. With progressive reloading it's the opposite.

einherjarvalk
02-19-2019, 02:48 PM
(deleted, someone already asked the same question)

olstyn
02-19-2019, 06:15 PM
With single stage reloading, very difficult to screw it up and very easy to notice when you do. With progressive reloading it's the opposite.

Disagree, presuming you're using a progressive with an auto-index feature like a Hornady LnL or Dillon 650. I've found that it's actually pretty difficult to screw stuff up once you've taken the time to set it up properly. That said, *any* reloading is not for those who can't pay attention to what they're doing.

JSGlock34
03-30-2019, 11:46 AM
I've now shot through another 1000 rounds of the 9mm Syntech since I had the problematic strikes without issue, which has restored my confidence in this round for match use.

I've tried out the 220 grain .45 Action Pistol load; unfortunately, my Wilson Combat 1911 does not like this round. Strangely these rounds will refuse to chamber from slide lock, but seem to feed okay thereafter.

Spartan1980
03-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this ammo is equal and in some cases more expensive than bulk FMJ? That's a hard pass for me right there.

JSGlock34
03-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Find me another factory low power factor loading to compare it to.

I think price wise the Action Pistol loading compare very favorably with other outfits producing ammunition specifically for competition, like Atlanta Arms. The Syntech is new factory ammunition and cheaper than the boutique competition reloading companies.

I wouldn’t buy the standard 115 grain Syntech load.

RJ
03-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this ammo is equal and in some cases more expensive than bulk FMJ? That's a hard pass for me right there.

I tried a case of it (150 Syntech) and it's a solid meh for me. I am going through a couple cases of Federal AE115 at the moment. I'm not sure I notice any difference (115 was cheaper of course.) Is it cool to have red bullets? I guess so. Not sure I care so much, though, as the AE115 also seems to work (as accurate as I'm able to shoot, of course, which is not very well. )

Blackbag
03-30-2019, 01:31 PM
I bought a half a case of it from Brownells. My Glocks and LTT Elites don't like it, so for me it is not great. Atlanta Arms and Hornady Steel Match are much better for my pistols.

Spartan1980
03-30-2019, 11:42 PM
Find me another factory low power factor loading to compare it to.

I think price wise the Action Pistol loading compare very favorably with other outfits producing ammunition specifically for competition, like Atlanta Arms. The Syntech is new factory ammunition and cheaper than the boutique competition reloading companies.

I wouldn’t buy the standard 115 grain Syntech load.

AE9FP is cheaper. True, it's not a reduced load, but I don't find much difference in recoil or on the timer.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/9mm-luger-147gr-full-metal-jacket-flat-nose-50-box-sku105200328-94539-91421.aspx?sku=105-200-328

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/syntech-9mm-luger-150gr-total-synthetic-jacket-action-pistol-ammo-prod104249.aspx

Also there's an interesting thread going on over on Enos about the 124gr Syntech load. A guy has a lot that is running 150PF out of his Stock2 which is much hotter than his last batch. He called them asking about it and Fed told him they only load to a specific pressure, they don't chrono at all and they can change powders twice in a week. The guy just posted that Thursday.

JSGlock34
03-31-2019, 09:49 AM
AE9FP is cheaper. True, it's not a reduced load, but I don't find much difference in recoil or on the timer.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/handgun-ammo/9mm-luger-147gr-full-metal-jacket-flat-nose-50-box-sku105200328-94539-91421.aspx?sku=105-200-328

Also there's an interesting thread going on over on Enos about the 124gr Syntech load. A guy has a lot that is running 150PF out of his Stock2 which is much hotter than his last batch. He called them asking about it and Fed told him they only load to a specific pressure, they don't chrono at all and they can change powders twice in a week. The guy just posted that Thursday.

Neither the 115 grain nor 124 grain are marketed as Action Pistol loads - to your point, I see nothing about the 115 grain or 124 grain Syntech loadings that make them a more desirable choice over the equivalent American Eagle offering, especially when it is more expensive. I'm not surprised that those loads would exhibit a high PF.

I find I derive a slight benefit from the 150 grain loading, enough to make it my match ammunition. I've also ordered from Brownells during sales - between 10% off, free shipping, the AJ cash back, and the Federal rebate, I'm not breaking $200 for a case of the 150 grain Syntech. No, it's not as cheap as AE (and I've got a nice stockpile of AE 147 grain), and I wouldn't use it as general purpose practice ammunition, but I don't find it prohibitively expensive, and I think it compares favorably with the boutique competition reloads. YMMV.

Spartan1980
03-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Neither the 115 grain nor 124 grain are marketed as Action Pistol loads - to your point, I see nothing about the 115 grain or 124 grain Syntech loadings that make them a more desirable choice over the equivalent American Eagle offering, especially when it is more expensive. I'm not surprised that those loads would exhibit a high PF.

That has been my beef with this ammo from the get go. I don't see what it gives over their jacketed offerings and I have to pay more for something that I can't determine. I suppose they may be loading the 150gr to different specs and using different testing protocols since it bears the USPSA logo and it's likely running on it's own production line, so maybe they are treating it differently. But I have my doubts.

olstyn
03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
Neither the 115 grain nor 124 grain are marketed as Action Pistol loads

Maybe not as aggressively as the 150 grain, but if they're not intended as action pistol loads, then why did Federal give away a ton of the 115 as door prizes a couple of years ago at the MN USPSA Section match? I walked away from the section match with 200 rounds of it, and shot it all in a few matches that fall. It knocked down poppers just fine, seemed on par with my reloads for accuracy, and was not objectionable in terms of recoil/blast. Were it not for the fact that I can load my own considerably cheaper, I'd be happy to run it, but priced the way it is, I'll just keep buying from Blue Bullets and cranking away on the press handle.

JSGlock34
03-31-2019, 10:57 AM
Maybe not as aggressively as the 150 grain, but if they're not intended as action pistol loads, then why did Federal give away a ton of the 115 as door prizes a couple of years ago at the MN USPSA Section match?

Well, the 150 grain loads say 'Action Pistol' on the box, have the USPSA endorsement on the box, specifically state that they meet Power Factor requirements, and are marketed for competition use. The 115 grain and 124 grain loads don't. Syntech now encompasses specific loads for range, competition, and self defense use - they're not all supposed to be competition loads, and perhaps Federal's marketing campaign has confused that point. My only point here is that I would have no expectations that the 115/124 grain loads would be low power factor offerings, and at their price point they offer nothing that you can't get out of American Eagle or Blazer.

https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2018/05/06/22/35/fp-ae9apsj1-syntechactionpistol-9mmlugertsj-rm-1507296.jpg?v=1&d=20180616T053342Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=3B6F46A3B02AF173A7CE4AAE8CCCBDB7
https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2018/05/07/09/11/fp-ae-ae9sj1-9mmluger115grtsj-r-1274233.jpg?v=1&d=20180616T053424Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=22B9C236F1AB557B6011B3CF40EA82A7
https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2018/05/07/10/14/fp-ae9sj2-syntech-9mmlugertsj-r-1425840.jpg?v=1&d=20180616T053441Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=AE9E4AFA27F1785A262CD25944BD50F1

olstyn
03-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Well, the 150 grain loads say 'Action Pistol' on the box, have the USPSA endorsement on the box, specifically state that they meet Power Factor requirements, and are marketed for competition use. The 115 grain and 124 grain loads don't. Syntech now encompasses specific loads for range, competition, and self defense use - they're not all supposed to be competition loads, and perhaps Federal's marketing campaign has confused that point. My only point here is that I would have no expectations that the 115/124 grain loads would be low power factor offerings, and at their price point they offer nothing that you can't get out of American Eagle or Blazer.

That's entirely fair, and thinking back on it, I believe the door prizes at that match were part of the initial marketing campaign for the line in general, and happened before the 150-grain load even existed. Perhaps it was a case of "use what we have ready to get the word out now."

JSGlock34
03-31-2019, 01:29 PM
That's entirely fair, and thinking back on it, I believe the door prizes at that match were part of the initial marketing campaign for the line in general, and happened before the 150-grain load even existed. Perhaps it was a case of "use what we have ready to get the word out now."

I don't think you're wrong that folks are confused about the Syntech line though - the thread on Enos that Spartan1980 mentioned is filled with people complaining about the 124 grain ammunition being 'Action Pistol' and USPSA endorsed when it isn't.

Federal isn't helping matters by introducing loads like this...

https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2019/01/23/20/27/fp-ae9sj4-9mmlugersyntechtrainingmatch-rmpsd-1956630.ashx?v=1&d=20190123T202754Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=B4037E63679A0E4141FD7AB0C2BDE9FB

...as I understand 'Match' in this context isn't referring to a USPSA/IDPA match but instead indicates that the ballistics of the ammunition matches the equivalent weight HST load.

The specific 'Action Pistol' lineup seems to be the 150 grain 9mm, 205 grain .40, and 220 grain .45 ACP. They've also introduced a PCC specific load 130 grain load, but it does not appear to have the same USPSA endorsed branding.

https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2018/12/11/19/29/fp-ae9sjpc1-9mmlugersyntechpcctsj-lpsd-1910261.ashx?v=1&d=20181211T192938Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=9AFE9E2D3F99E90487FAB2A51D12ABF7

Spartan1980
03-31-2019, 02:33 PM
The specific 'Action Pistol' lineup seems to be the 150 grain 9mm, 205 grain .40, and 220 grain .45 ACP. They've also introduced a PCC specific load 130 grain load, but it does not appear to have the same USPSA endorsed branding.

https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2018/12/11/19/29/fp-ae9sjpc1-9mmlugersyntechpcctsj-lpsd-1910261.ashx?v=1&d=20181211T192938Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=9AFE9E2D3F99E90487FAB2A51D12ABF7
I haven't bothered to go looking, but I'd really be curious to see what that PCC load chronos. I know I've given up on getting down to 130'ish PF. To do that I think you have to use uber light bullets, at least in my gun. I said heck with it. I don't shoot PCC often enough to keep separate ammo for it anyway.

GJM
12-05-2019, 08:00 PM
The Federal 150 Syntech chronographs at 138 PF out of my Gen 4 Glock 34, although it feels very light recoiling. American Eagle 115 and Lawman 124 feel very harsh by comparison. The 150 Syntech is a sub three inch load at 25 yards in every Glock pistol I have tried it in. It seems to knock steel over with authority, and I like that it is a sealed bullet and lead free primer. It is my current match load for Carry Optics.

Something I did notice, while shooting steel at 110 yards today, is it has a lot more drop than the AE 115 or Lawman 124. Both the Lawman and AE hit left of my Syntech POI at 25 yards.

Default.mp3
06-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Has anyone tried the 150 gr out of something like a Roland Special? Curious if such a low power factor would mean it wouldn't cycle properly without playing with the recoil springs, versus something like just Lawman 147 gr.

GJM
06-01-2020, 08:42 PM
When I was at the JJ class, two participants had Roland Specials. One was put together by Agency, and I don’t recall the origin of the second pistol. Both pistols were constantly having issues over the two days of the class, and it left me with a very bad impression of what a comp does To make a Glock less reliable. Both shooters kept saying their comp needed to be cleaned but the other Glocks in the class just ran.

officerdave
06-06-2020, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=JSGlock34;864959]I don't think you're wrong that folks are confused about the Syntech line though - the thread on Enos that Spartan1980 mentioned is filled with people complaining about the 124 grain ammunition being 'Action Pistol' and USPSA endorsed when it isn't.

Federal isn't helping matters by introducing loads like this...

https://cdn-federalpremium2.azureedge.net/-/media/dam/federal-premium-ammunition/dam-media-bucket/2019/01/23/20/27/fp-ae9sj4-9mmlugersyntechtrainingmatch-rmpsd-1956630.ashx?v=1&d=20190123T202754Z?mw=655&mh=440&hash=B4037E63679A0E4141FD7AB0C2BDE9FB

...as I understand 'Match' in this context isn't referring to a USPSA/IDPA match but instead indicates that the ballistics of the ammunition matches the equivalent weight HST load.

I bought a case of match 147 grain that is suppose to " match " the 147 grain HST. Well shot box 1 , no issue . Opened box 2 at the range and thought , these rounds seem hotter. Short answer, Federal boxed my rounds that " match" the 124+P HST rounds , put them in a box marked 147 grain ( but the ballistics info on the box listed 124 +P data) . I called Federal, gave them the lot numbers and such. Nothing heard back since, but must have been a bad day at the factory when those rounds were loaded. Not an issue , since I am shooting them in a full stainless Sig 226. Just interesting talking to the Federal reps about how this could have happened. These are in sealed case of 500 , 10 boxes of 50 each. The first box was correct, the rest not so much .

JSGlock34
06-06-2020, 03:18 PM
I bought a case of match 147 grain that is suppose to " match " the 147 grain HST. Well shot box 1 , no issue . Opened box 2 at the range and thought , these rounds seem hotter. Short answer, Federal boxed my rounds that " match" the 124+P HST rounds , put them in a box marked 147 grain ( but the ballistics info on the box listed 124 +P data) . I called Federal, gave them the lot numbers and such. Nothing heard back since, but must have been a bad day at the factory when those rounds were loaded. Not an issue , since I am shooting them in a full stainless Sig 226. Just interesting talking to the Federal reps about how this could have happened. These are in sealed case of 500 , 10 boxes of 50 each. The first box was correct, the rest not so much .

Weird things happen. I once opened a box of Winchester RA9B to find various brass randomly marked +P and +P+...