PDA

View Full Version : Vet / Comment on My Live Fire Practice Plan

JFK
11-23-2017, 11:23 AM
So I am making a big effort to make Master in IDPA and A class in USPSA next year. I have been looking at what I do with my limited practice time due to travel and realize that maximizing what time I have outside of just dry fire is gong to be important. Here is the training plan I came up with. Please give me your thoughts.

Goal: Have a meaningful live fire training session that practices all the fundamentals of competition shooting skills. The training session should be repeatable, easy to set up, and take minimal time out of the day. The training session should be trackable and easy to record to monitor progress. Total time from leaving the house to returning should be no more than 2.5 hours including drive time. Should be affordable and around 200 rounds per session.

To meet these goals I have decided to get away from using paper target as much as possible. I had 9 8" steel targets made that stand on 2x4s. My thought process is the 8" steel is the size of a down 0 in IDPA. All my times and practice will be recorded as time and hits or misses. This way I put more of a premium on accuracy and don't have to tape anything. I still need one paper target to act like a barricade and I do need it for some of the distance fundamentals and the FAST drill. I keep this stuff in my truck. The range is 20 min from my house, and this takes me about 10 - 15 min to set up. That gives me Over an hour of shooting time. I hope to get this down so door to door I am only taking 2 hours out of my day.

Here is the plan:
String 1: Fast Drill cold @ 7 yards (2 to the head, slide lock reload 4 to the body) 6 Rounds

Test on demand performance. Benchmark

String 2: Walk Back Drill. *Fire three rounds each at 3, 7, 10, 15, and 20 yards with no time. 15 Rounds

Enforce fundementals of grip, trigger, and sight picture

String 3 - 5: 1 Reload 2 @ 10 Yards x3. 9 Rounds

Speed
Reloads
Sight Picture
Trigger

String 6 - 7: Fire 2 rounds each, reload fire 2 rounds each @ 10 yards. 24 Rounds

Speed
Reloads
Target transitions

String 8 - 9: Fire 2 rounds each while moving @ 10 yards, reload fire 2 rounds each @ 15 yards while moving 24 Rounds

Shooting while moving
Reloading while moving
Distance transitions

String 10 - 11: Fire two rounds each @ 10 yards, slide lock or speed reload. Fire 2 rounds each @ 15 yards. Tactical reload while moving to 12 yards fire two rounds each. 36 Rounds

Position entry and exit
Moving under time pressure
Various reloads

String 12 - 13: Fire two rounds each strong hand, reload, fire two rounds each weak hand @ 10 yards. 12 Rounds

Strong and weak hand shooting
Pistol transitions
Grip and single hand trigger control

String 14 - 15: Fire two rounds each strong hand, reload, fire two rounds each weak hand @ 15 yards. 12 Rounds

Pistol transitions

String 16: Fire two rounds each left side of barricade, reload fire two rounds each right side of barricade. 12 Rounds

Barricade transitions
Shooting from cover

String 17: Fire two rounds each left side of barricade left hand only, reload fire tow rounds each right side of barricade right hand only. 12 Rounds

Pistol transitions
Barricade transitions
Shooting from cover

String 18: Fire 8 rounds on the paper targete @ 40 yards, no time. 8 Rounds

String 19: Fast Drill @ 7 yards (2 to the head, slide lock reload 4 to the body) 6 Rounds

Benchmark

Total of 200 rounds.

Attached is the range set up.

Thanks for your input.

Jay

BN
11-23-2017, 01:32 PM
I used to use the old IDPA Classifier. Maybe once a month, I would shoot it from start to finish. I would score and paste after each string not stage. I have kept a record since 1997 on how I do. I can go back and look at each string and see what I need to work on. I only needed to hang 3 targets and throw down some sticks to mark the distances. I mostly used the first 2 stages for practice.

Another one I use is draw and fire 2 at each reload, either slide lock or speed, then 2 at each.

I have used an IDPA target with the USPSA "A" zone drawn on it to see the difference.

To practice for IDPA you need to get a lot of points. In USPSA you can let a few points get away if you are fast enough.

With just the steel, how will you know where your misses go?

HopetonBrown
11-23-2017, 02:58 PM
I would just shoot the IDPA classifier, it's 72 rounds. Then look at all my numbers for low hanging fruit and start working on those.

Leroy
11-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Use paper targets, they show where you miss the 0 or A. Pick only 1 or 2 drills per session and work on pushing your self and fixing mistakes. Shooting 10-20 rounds on 10 different drills is an assessment, not practice. You will not learn anything and it will slow you down setting up drills. Don't get stuck on single target drills, there boring, limited, and lack transitions.

MVS
11-23-2017, 09:14 PM
You stated your goals, where are you at right now? I agree with the above posters who said make sure to use some paper targets. I also would consider what HopetownBrown said about just shooting the classifier if that is really your main goal.

JFK
11-23-2017, 10:01 PM
With just the steel, how will you know where your misses go?

Some what of my thought process of forcing accuracy. Only accepting hits. Working on accuracy at speed for the bulk of practice. Aim small miss small theory. Also at this point when I miss I have a pretty good idea exactly what I did when I broke the shot.

JFK
11-23-2017, 10:07 PM
I guess I should also say I am trying to reach Master at IDPA by way of match bump.

I understand the use of the old classifier, but I have been doing that for years and have no progress in match performance as I am loosing more time in movement and position set up than points down.

Maybe I should look at throwing some more paper in for tracking misses, or down points. Or create a second regiment to throw in the mix as I don't want to get board with this either.

taadski
11-23-2017, 11:42 PM
I’d strongly steer you away from the idea of shooting steel as a primary target type for this process. For some of the reasons already mentioned, but also because learning to evaluate your shooting visually (while you’re doing it) is a very important part of higher level shooting. And having a steel target giving audio feedback can substantially hinder (read distract) you from that process. I’d plan on shooting predominantly paper for that reason.

Your comments about “only accepting hits” and “aiming small, missing small” are all well and good. But the process of you getting better at these sports is going to require you to push past what you’re currently capable of speed-wise and actually allow yourself to shoot misses. Surfing back and forth in the gray zone between, on one hand, what you can shoot with high reliability and, on the other, the pace where your shooting starts to outrun what you can see, is where you need to be training if your interested in getting faster.

Take to heart the comments above about shooting the classifier and then evaluating where your low hanging fruit lies. It’s a long course of fire that contains many of the required skills to be successful. It’s a good barometer and will help direct where you need work. I know you mentioned you’ve been shooting it for years. Now’s the time to do so with an open mind re where you’re deficient compared to those shooting it at the levels you’re looking to achieve. It’s not about going through the motions; it’s about picking apart every detail to see where you’re not keeping up with the joneses.

You’ve already mentioned a few weaknesses (movement and positional setups) you’ve identified. Now prescribe some drills evaluating your ability in those specific realms and start crushing them in practice. The key to getting better is truly learning to self evaluate and self coach.

More than anything else, prepare yourself to commit to a scheduled dry fire regiment and submit to doing the work and putting in the reps. Buy a timer if you don’t already own one and pick up Stoeger’s Skills and Drills and Steve Anderson’s Get To Work and read them diligently. Then follow their prescription. They’ll shortcut a lot of misguided effort and put you on the correct practice path.

Good luck with your goals! I look forward to watching your progress!

JFK
11-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Great feedback. Thank you.

I think my next step will be a paper based training set as well. I will then experiment with both.

Something that is important to me and that has been hindering my live fire practice is time and lack of direction. Dry fire is easy. Getting to the range collecting gear etc. is a hassle. There have been many times when I have skipped live fire because I know that I would be rushing or not have enough day light, or insert time based excuse here.

Perfect practice is great, but I am also looking for something that I know I can do quickly and easy to lessen the excuse monster for getting my time in.

I have some time off over the next couple of weeks so I think I am gong to try the program above, the classier approach, and a more custom paper based approach and measure the time invested and effort involved.

The knowledge and advice is solid, but I am wiling to sacrifice some of the ideal situation for encouraging me to get to the range more.

holmes168
11-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Having a training plan is great- so many people just run out and punch holes in paper, call it good and leave.
My only comment/question- is that your plan for a whole year? I would think the training might get stale after you do it 2-3-4 months in a row. Kind of like lifting weights- a little bit of variety can lead to better results.

Maybe leave some extra ammo and shoot the Drill of the Week that Gabe White puts out. Also- start a training journal on the forum. I've found that it helps keep me on track with dry fire.

BN
11-24-2017, 09:10 AM
I guess I should also say I am trying to reach Master at IDPA by way of match bump.

That is something where you have no control over who your competition is. A couple of well practiced, almost Masters will defeat your plans. I would suggest you also concentrate on your weak points and shoot the classifier whenever it is available.

Edit to add: The FAST is a good drill, but it isn't something that is done in either IDPA or USPSA. Perhaps a different drill as a base that is more what you are trying to achieve.

JFK
11-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Having a training plan is great- so many people just run out and punch holes in paper, call it good and leave.
My only comment/question- is that your plan for a whole year? I would think the training might get stale after you do it 2-3-4 months in a row. Kind of like lifting weights- a little bit of variety can lead to better results.

Maybe leave some extra ammo and shoot the Drill of the Week that Gabe White puts out. Also- start a training journal on the forum. I've found that it helps keep me on track with dry fire.

Agreed on stale. Whatever I come up with would be the "main" plan. I would mix it up with assessments like dot torture, and just some fun shooting, longer sessions when I have time, shorter and focused if I find something out of whack, etc. I really need something that I ma doing consistent so I can track. Without a shooting partner to watch me it is difficult to find the little things here and there so I need to develop patterns.

JFK
11-24-2017, 10:33 AM
That is something where you have no control over who your competition is. A couple of well practiced, almost Masters will defeat your plans. I would suggest you also concentrate on your weak points and shoot the classifier whenever it is available.

Edit to add: The FAST is a good drill, but it isn't something that is done in either IDPA or USPSA. Perhaps a different drill as a base that is more what you are trying to achieve.

Agree in your point and also making my point. I have broken into master time spots on unofficial classifiers from time to time. I have had three major matches this year where I had the opportunity to bump up, but missed it by one place. In one instance missed it by .58 seconds, or one point down. If I practiced the classier for a month solid would I achieve master? Mote likely. Will it be what I consider master class shooting? Not in my self assessment because I know my weakness is shooting while moving, changing positions, and economy of movement. I like to compete and if I have the option to move up by besting my friends and peers it is my preferred method.

USPSA classification is different because it is measured on a percentage, plus our club always incorporates a classifier in the match each month so I am less concerned there about winning in a match.

As far as FAST, even though it is not a competition based skill set I feel it is relevant, in addition I am still interested in general pistol craft and defensive skills as well. I like the FAST because in one drill you can test draw, low probability hits, reloads, grip, high probability hits, and recoil control. Doing this cold as the first drill and then as the last drill will help establish a pattern. I am also familiar with it. I know I can this a solid 6.25 - 6.50 FAST when warmed up. On demand (cold) I can guarantee high 6 low 7. I am open to another drill that can act as a benchmark. What did you have in mind?

taadski
11-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Something that is important to me and that has been hindering my live fire practice is time and lack of direction. Dry fire is easy. Getting to the range collecting gear etc. is a hassle. There have been many times when I have skipped live fire because I know that I would be rushing or not have enough day light, or insert time based excuse here.

I'm right there with you regarding the motivation and direction thing. One of things I really appreciate about the books I mentioned is that they contain the organization we're talking about. Plans that are put together for advancement that you can follow generically, or modify to suite your own needs. I won't preach, but in a lot of respects, the training outlines you're looking for (given your stated goals) already exist.

https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloaded-Ben-Stoeger/dp/1542880246/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZDT73K6JCH8EZ3DN9JEJ

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Work-Practice-Points-Second/dp/0692229345/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F0X7MBJCJB7XJVFXXFQ4

To wet the whistle, here are a couple examples of simple drills and commentary (these from Stoeger's website).

https://www.benstoeger.com/livefire-drill-easy-exit

https://www.benstoeger.com/live-fire-drill-blake-drill

Leroy
11-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Agree in your point and also making my point. I have broken into master time spots on unofficial classifiers from time to time. I have had three major matches this year where I had the opportunity to bump up, but missed it by one place. In one instance missed it by .58 seconds, or one point down. If I practiced the classier for a month solid would I achieve master? Mote likely. Will it be what I consider master class shooting? Not in my self assessment because I know my weakness is shooting while moving, changing positions, and economy of movement. I like to compete and if I have the option to move up by besting my friends and peers it is my preferred method.

USPSA classification is different because it is measured on a percentage, plus our club always incorporates a classifier in the match each month so I am less concerned there about winning in a match.

As far as FAST, even though it is not a competition based skill set I feel it is relevant, in addition I am still interested in general pistol craft and defensive skills as well. I like the FAST because in one drill you can test draw, low probability hits, reloads, grip, high probability hits, and recoil control. Doing this cold as the first drill and then as the last drill will help establish a pattern. I am also familiar with it. I know I can this a solid 6.25 - 6.50 FAST when warmed up. On demand (cold) I can guarantee high 6 low 7. I am open to another drill that can act as a benchmark. What did you have in mind?

The FAST has always felt like a draw and reload contest because none of the shots are particularly hard. A better benchmark would be something with multiple target transitions and distance changes like Accelerator with a hard no shoot on the 15 or 25 yard target. Or swap one of those papers with your 8" steel (although I think that is kinda of big unless at 25).

BN
11-24-2017, 06:40 PM
What did you have in mind?

The El Presidente or any variation. I usually do it without the turn. Be consistent on how you set up the targets. The common IDPA and USPSA setups are different. I usually have 3 targets at 10 yards, a target width apart and the same height. Start facing, draw, 2 each, reload, 2 each. IDPA style, you are looking for points. USPSA style you are looking for points, but time is more critical. Keep a record of all runs with the style you used. You can do a bunch of stuff with only 3 targets. Shoot standing, moving any direction, Shoot and then move and shoot some more, vary number of rounds etc. I always score and tape between runs.