PDA

View Full Version : Glock Slide Lock Spring

JV_
03-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Based on the number of broken Glock slide lock springs listed in the "...Guns you've personally seen fail (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?280-A-different-take-on-reliability-Guns-you-ve-personally-seen-fail)" thread, I figured it'd be a good idea to mention one rule of thumb: Replace the slide lock spring when you replace the recoil spring.

Kyle Reese
03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I second the motion, given that I've been That Guy in a PT class where this part broke on my Glock 19.

Based on the number of broken Glock slide lock springs listed in the "...Guns you've personally seen fail (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?280-A-different-take-on-reliability-Guns-you-ve-personally-seen-fail)" thread, I figured it'd be a good idea to mention one rule of thumb: Replace the slide lock spring when you replace the recoil spring.

mlk18
03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Good idea, but the issue surprised me when I was reading through that thread. I have been a Glock Armorer for my agency for almost 15 years and have never had a slide lock spring fail. Just the same I will likely add it to the routine maintenance list.

Pennzoil
03-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for posting your recommended frequency and I took away from that thread that I've been neglecting replacing that part. I'm due for a recoil spring now so will change this spring out also.

Do you have any other recommendations for high use Gen2/3 Glocks? Imagine people with a lot of experience or instructors probably see a trend in 3 or 5 most common breakages with Glocks. I would rather change inexpensive parts out regularly on my guns then have them go down when I don't have a spare laying around.

JV_
03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
The bad part about breaking that spring is that the slide lock sometimes falls out too ....

FWIW: I take no credit for coming up with that recommendation, I'm pretty sure Todd told it to us when GermanS. broke his during a class. It sounded more than reasonable, so it stuck with me.

turbolag23
03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I took the Glock armorers class in January, the only replacement frequency numbers that they stated were Glock recommends replacing the recoil spring every 5000 rounds for all calibers except 40SW which is recommended 3000 rounds. Right after that it was mentioned that all springs fail at some point and keep extras on hand.

3-7-77
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd never given that little spring much thought until I read that thread. I agree changing it out with the recoil spring is good insurance. I haven't found any other parts on a Glock that will render the pistol completely useless when they fail, so I'd say that one should warrant some special attention.

ToddG
03-07-2011, 07:22 PM
That particular part underwent a redesign to improve its durability quite a while back. Nonetheless, I've had one break personally (old style more than a decade ago) and seen more than enough of them fail that I consider it a good idea to replace it whenever the recoil spring is replaced. If it's a waste of a few dollars, so be it. Because when that spring breaks, your pistol is done. Nothing you do will allow it to stay in action until that part is replaced.

gtmtnbiker98
03-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Actually, on the few occasions I've witnessed this part fail, was due to the operator trying to play "Do It Yourself Gunsmith" and installed it incorrectly. It must have been a pandemic during our last AFHF Class in Ohio, since I spent a good portion of the breaks fixing the Glocks.

P.S.
It's always fun fixing Glocks when carrying a P30 and wearing an HK hat.:o

JonInWA
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I've seen and worked personally on one that failed-it was a Gen 3 G19, but with the older "wasp-waisted" spring; Glock replaced it with a constant width spring several years ago. A good PM check would be to check your compact Glock (according to my Armorers Class notes, only the G19 and G23 were so afflicted), and if it has the older spring, replace it with the newer one.

Otherwise, it's probably one of those things that rarely fails (and is probably a statistical anomaly when it does), but it's so cheap and easy to replace it's probably not a bad idea to simply replace it concurrent to PM recoil spring switch-outs as previously suggested...

Best, Jon

BigT
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I've seen the skinny springs in G26's as well.

I've only ever seen the skinny springs break but I agree with the above sentiment. They are cheap enough to make a service item.

Kyle Reese
03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes, the slide will fly right off of the frame into the dirt berm. :cool:

Live & learn.

That particular part underwent a redesign to improve its durability quite a while back. Nonetheless, I've had one break personally (old style more than a decade ago) and seen more than enough of them fail that I consider it a good idea to replace it whenever the recoil spring is replaced. If it's a waste of a few dollars, so be it. Because when that spring breaks, your pistol is done. Nothing you do will allow it to stay in action until that part is replaced.

Pennzoil
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Never even noticed my first 19 had the skinny spring and my other has the wide spring. I checked my other Glocks that aren't compacts and older then the 19 with the skinny spring and they all the wide spring.

Here is a picture incase anyone is curious.
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9349/oldandnew.jpg

boyscoutg36
03-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I could never figure out why Glock used the thin springs to begin with, if there is one portion that requires redundancy it is there. Every time I get an old Glock in trade, that's the first spring I replace with the new style unit, it really is a vital part that can leave you hanging. That said, I personally have only seen one bent so bad that it lost tension, not a breakage though.

Wayne Dobbs
03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
They likely used those wasp waisted springs because they saved a half cent or so on each! I noted that all the G19s Glock sold to the Iraqi Police (that our tax dollars bought) had the skinny spring and I saw over a dozen that broke and needed replacement while I was there training the IPS.

Kyle Reese
03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I wonder how many of the Glock 19's we bought them ended up in the hands of the Mahdi Army?

They likely used those wasp waisted springs because they saved a half cent or so on each! I noted that all the G19s Glock sold to the Iraqi Police (that our tax dollars bought) had the skinny spring and I saw over a dozen that broke and needed replacement while I was there training the IPS.

Frank B
03-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Of Topic

Wayne, good to see you here!!

turbolag23
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM

If that spring breaks off in there how do you go about getting it out?

ToddG
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
If that spring breaks off in there how do you go about getting it out?

Depends on exactly where/how it breaks. Best case scenario you can just pry it out. Worst case, it will come out with a set of needle nose pliers.

Wayne Dobbs
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a tool roll with all kinds of tools that I would need to comprehensively service a Glock (and others), including a sight install, etc. I've found that a set of needle noses and a large gunsmith/medical set of forceps helps to remove such a small broken part.

As for how many of the G19s ended up in insurgent hands, I would say MANY, MANY of them did. The mindset and culture there basically guaranteed that would happen.

Great to be here with a good bunch of guys/gals!

Wayne

Prdator
03-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Wayne good to see you on here!!!!

So can any of you give us a good step by step on the Correct way to replace this spring?

turbolag23
03-12-2011, 11:59 AM
So can any of you give us a good step by step on the Correct way to replace this spring?

I'm sure someone will chime in with a good explanation but I was shown to use a coffee stir stick, available at any gas station or hotel. once the slide lock is removed the opening of the straw fits over the spring pretty good then just lift out.

Pennzoil
03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
I just replaced mine this week after making a run to Glockmeister.

I just pushed down on the spring next to the slide lock with the Glock tool so the slide lock could fall out. Then the spring just pulls out as the part of the spring at the forward end of the gun extends into the frame. Then take your new spring and put the straight portion and insert that into the same hole in the frame. Then push down on the spring and insert the slide lock from the side. Once slide lock is centered stop pushing on the slide lock.

Key is to look at slide lock orientation (straight edge faces forward) and spring orientation(straight leg in frame one with bump under slide lock) before disassembly and getting the correct new spring. The spring for 17 is longer then 19 and so on. Hope this makes sense I may not explain it the best.

I also picked up a - connector and NY trigger spring. Why oh why haven't I tried this before!!!!!! Really like it.

Wayne Dobbs
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Spencer,

It's good to be here, brother!

Pennzoil's description is spot on on how to install. I would clarify that the slide lock is installed with the smooth side facing the muzzle end of the frame and the transverse notch side facing to the rear, where it engages the corresponding surface on the front of the barrel lug. It's one of the three parts on the Glock that will go in backwards during reassembly and then will shortly fail, downing the gun. The other two are the trigger return spring and the extractor depressor plunger assembly.

breakingtime91
03-21-2015, 03:23 PM
HOLY NECRO POST. Started shooting my 2006 g19 again and was an idiot for not replacing small springs. Had my slide lock spring sheer off at the top today and stop my range session. I felt like an idiot for not having a spare on hand but ya, live and learn.

Kyle Reese
03-21-2015, 07:14 PM
HOLY NECRO POST. Started shooting my 2006 g19 again and was an idiot for not replacing small springs. Had my slide lock spring sheer off at the top today and stop my range session. I felt like an idiot for not having a spare on hand but ya, live and learn.

Join the club. At least Todd wasn't there in person to laugh at you. :)

ToddG
03-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Join the club. At least Todd wasn't there in person to laugh at you. :)

But I was there in spirit ... laughing ...

breakingtime91
03-21-2015, 08:07 PM
I almost wish he would of been. Shot three 6.25 fasts today, my best yet and did them all on demand at different points of the day