PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere to sell 9mm brass shells?

randyflycaster
11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
I don't reload, but I'd like to lower my shooting costs by selling my brass 9mm shells. Is there any place willing to buy my shells? Right now I have about 1000.

Thanks,

Randy

Jim Watson
11-16-2017, 12:58 PM
That's not many of a common caliber, as such things go.
I think your best move would be to put up an ad on the range bulletin board, if any.
I would buy a thousand FtF, but would not pay postage on it.

RevolverRob
11-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Freedom Munitions provides brass credit - https://www.freedommunitions.com/brass-credit-program

They recommend shipping in a flat rate box (if it fits it ships!). Their current credit rate is $1.40/pound of brass. They provide online store credit, so you can turn your brass back into ammo.

-Rob

ER_STL
11-16-2017, 02:17 PM
You can also list your brass on GunBroker as well but I'm not sure how much you'll get for it. Just a quick search through the site (http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=9mm+once+fired+brass) shows quite a few listings already...

randyflycaster
11-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Folks,
Thanks so much for your help,
Randy

nate89
11-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Just from my experience locally (Norhtern Utah) brass sales have really gone down like pretty much everything else gun related, since the election. It used to be fairly easy to sell 1k of 9mm brass for 25 bucks, maybe even 30. Now it's hard to even sell it for more than scrap rate. I ran the numbers for sending brass to freedom, and honestly it doesn't make much sense to do, much of what you would make is eaten up in shipping costs. 1k of 9mm is no more than 9-10 lbs, and you are probably about 7-10 bucks in shipping at least. You would have to be sending a full large flat rate box with 60+ lbs to make it even close to worth it. The easiest route is just sell it at scrap rate to the local recycle facility. You'll probably get about as much from them as freedom without the shipping costs. Plus you are getting cash instead of store credit from freedom. Just my opinion.

ranger
11-16-2017, 05:42 PM
I have LOTs of 9mm brass and I also looked at the Freedom Munitions exchange and I could not get the numbers to work either. Another option may be to exchange at a local (regional?) reloading company for loaded brass or even supply that brass to be loaded (may be a tax advantage).

Now, if it was 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.5 Creedmoor you can buy it, shoot it, then sell the brass.

tsf1225
11-16-2017, 05:48 PM
I get one of those large flat rate boxes from the Post Office. When I get home from shooting I throw my brass in the box. It's funny but once people know you save your brass they will give you theirs so I generally end of bringing home more than I shoot. When the box is full I mail into to Freedom. The large box costs about $18 to ship and last time I received about a $76 credit so that's about $58 profit.

holmes168
11-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Obviously this is a good excuse to buy a Dillon press.

GNiner
11-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Obviously this is a good excuse to buy a Dillon press.

^^^^What he said. Keep the brass. You don't reload now, but you will some day.

randyflycaster
11-17-2017, 09:11 AM
I looked into getting into reloading. I don't think I would save that much money. I think it would cost me $7.50 to load 50 9nm shells, but then I'd have to lay out a lot of money for reloading equipment, including a table.

Right now, I'm buying brass shells for about $10.00 per 50.

Randy

jeep45238
11-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Depends how far down the rabbit hole you go. A Lee turret kit and some scrap lumber to build a basic bench from is more than adequate, and hits the easy to learn/fast enough to not hate it/cheap enough to pay for itself points.

Really it’s if you want another hobby, and exchange time for long term money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOG
11-17-2017, 10:32 AM
I've got many thousands of rounds of brass in 9 and 5.56 plus a smaller quantity of 308. I pick it up mainly because I don't want another flat tire in my tractor but also because I may want to get into reloading some day. The 308 has proven to be a good bartering item to have around.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

nwhpfan
11-17-2017, 07:26 PM
Brass is a funny thing. It's got some value to some, none to others.

First, there is always value to the scraper. A few years ago brass was 2$ lb. I had calibers I didn't reload and it was worth it to sell to get melted down.

9mm is super common and has little to no value to anyone under 70 or lives in an area with a big outdoor range. At the range I shoot if you stopped by a couple times a week it wouldn't take long to have a few thousand 9mm pieces. So again, in my area, 9mm is not very valuable. HOWEVER, I did trade a bucket for a bunch of primers to an old guy, about 70 who simply couldn't bend down to pick it up anymore.

.40 was once worthless. So many cops shot it all the Limited class shooters (most popular in USPSA) had no trouble getting brass. Now that it's less popular it's got some value.

.45 nobody shoots it so it has value.

.223 hit and miss. .223 brass takes time to prep. Bust out the primer crimp, trimming... Many loaders "if" they buy it will only buy once and then be meticulous about picking up their brass to avoid having to do all the extra work.

.308 If you have some nice bolt fired .308 this has a bit of value but people that load .308 (like me) don't need a ton of pieces because you just don't shoot the same volume. I might have picked up after a SWAT team once so I might be set for life on .308 brass. Ar .308 does too but sometimes it can get banged up a bit.

I think you best bet is to post in on a board to trade for something.

1000 1x pieces might get you a couple Pmags or something like that...

fly out
11-17-2017, 11:02 PM
I'm in the camp with the "keep them" crowd. If you had a constant supply of 1,000 cases a week or a month, it might be worth trying to monetize them, but with a bucket of 1,000? Keep them and add to them.

If you don't reload now, you might think about buying a thousand primers from time to time, and a few pounds of powder here and there. At some point, you may be happy to have the components lying around, as they can dry up quickly.

My two cents.

olstyn
11-17-2017, 11:45 PM
Brass is a funny thing. It's got some value to some, none to others.

This. I'm one of only a few people at my local matches that bothers to pick it up, and the majority of shooters at those matches shoot what I want (9mm), so I wouldn't give the price of shipping for 9mm, let alone pay anything for the brass itself. Folks who don't get theirs for free may justifiably feel very differently about it.

GuanoLoco
11-18-2017, 12:13 AM
http://forums.brianenos.com/forum/264-non-dealer-brass-sales/

Maybe a little over 2 cents each shipped. You have a whopping $20 of brass tops. Lots of sources for cheap/bulk bras, anything from uncleaned range pickeups that may or may not be tuly once fired to fully cleaned and process brass.

I’ve picked up (and reloaded) many 10’s of thousands of rounds, and eventually just bought a 55 gal drum full at a killer price. Currently it’s not worth the time to pick it up, much less the wear and tear on my knees and back.

pangloss
11-19-2017, 01:25 PM
I used to reload (single stage press for hunting rifle). I quit years ago, but I still have a bit of a compulsion about saving brass. I've been wondering what to do with my 9mm brass, so I think I'll just find some better storage containers and keep adding to the pile.

deputyG23
11-22-2017, 05:32 AM
I used to reload (single stage press for hunting rifle). I quit years ago, but I still have a bit of a compulsion about saving brass. I've been wondering what to do with my 9mm brass, so I think I'll just find some better storage containers and keep adding to the pile.

I am also a compulsive brass picker upper. Pistol brass comes home and gets tumbled and sorted. .223 gets put into a bucket. On the fence about whether to start loading for my ARs when decent ammo is available for below .30cpr.

Hambo
11-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Right now, I'm buying brass shells for about $10.00 per 50.

Randy

By reloading you could get that cost down to at least $6.50/50, maybe $5/50, but that's buying everything in bulk and on sale.

What I tell people about reloading is that you will save money per round, but in the end you'll spend the same amount overall, you'll just shoot a lot more.

jeep45238
11-27-2017, 07:40 AM
By reloading you could get that cost down to at least $6.50/50, maybe $5/50, but that's buying everything in bulk and on sale.

What I tell people about reloading is that you will save money per round, but in the end you'll spend the same amount overall, you'll just shoot a lot more.

Truth.

When I was shooting .45, I saved enough by reloading and shooting 185gr swc bullets that I shot 80% more. I went through 250 rounds a day, 5 days a week, back then.

I didn’t go broke at all, but my time investment went up as I was casting all the bullets myself. Once I found a good load I just made that one load and nothing else, hence the economy of invested time per box of ammo, and only bought components on sale in bulk.