PDA

View Full Version : Shooting from retention headache?

Grey
11-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Did some shooting from retention in class today, got a headache after, anyone else experience this?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

TGS
11-12-2017, 08:53 PM
I get headaches if I shoot in a "pit" or indoor range without doubling up ear pro. No headaches from retention shooting, though.

Dr. No
11-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Yes, pretty common. You are getting struck with the blast front from the muzzle blast up close where it still has some velocity. Especially in your sinus/nasal cavities where there's lots of air pockets. The pressure is magnified if you're in an indoor or confined environment. It's not something I would practice on a regular basis.

s0nspark
11-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Maybe we need nose pro too :-)

JAD
11-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Maybe we need nose pro too :-)

I get it paired up with my eyes. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171113/4a79519d33c2291e51185067e7171fd1.jpeg

Grey
11-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Yes, pretty common. You are getting struck with the blast front from the muzzle blast up close where it still has some velocity. Especially in your sinus/nasal cavities where there's lots of air pockets. The pressure is magnified if you're in an indoor or confined environment. It's not something I would practice on a regular basis.Thanks for the explanation. Definitely don't want to do that again....

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Peally
11-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Yes, very much so. I specifically recall after a class that involved retention shooting I had to pop a whole lot of aspirin and take a nap on the drive home to work off the nasty headache.

Indoor shooting alone doesn't bother me at all, but repeated shots where the muzzle is 6 inches below my face really blows.

Dr. No
11-12-2017, 10:33 PM
It's a pretty common phenomenon in the explosive community as well. After a week at breacher school I felt like someone had scrambled my guts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cecil Burch
11-13-2017, 12:58 PM
I think it is fair to say I have done a bit of retention shooting. I have also been around others doing it as an instructor or AI (this coming weekend I will be teaching 16 people to do so with a couple hundred rounds in fact), and I have never experienced it nor heard of anyone experiencing it.

JodyH
11-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Good thing is you don't really need to practice retention shooting "live fire" a whole lot because it's not like it requires a whole lot of perishable skill to actually make the hits at retention range.
The key is in getting a consistent high and tight #2 and you can work on that dry or even better work on it with blue guns/airsoft and a resisting opponent.

orionz06
11-13-2017, 02:30 PM
I get it a good bit. It can sometimes wipe me out. Sinus rinse, sudafed, aspirin, and tylenol goes a long way to getting me back to normal.

Grey
11-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Good thing is you don't really need to practice retention shooting "live fire" a whole lot because it's not like it requires a whole lot of perishable skill to actually make the hits at retention range.
The key is in getting a consistent high and tight #2 and you can work on that dry or even better work on it with blue guns/airsoft and a resisting opponent.

Yeah, it was the first time I had ever fired from retention, might be picking up a airsoft pistol to shoot from retention just to maintain that hand eye coordination.

Definitely don't want to practice that again... took hours to feel better.