PDA

View Full Version : MA State Police Scandal

DocGKR
11-12-2017, 11:17 AM
https://www.scribd.com/document/363796669/Trooper-Ryan-Sceviour-federal-lawsuit#download

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/11/07/state-trooper-was-ordered-alter-arrest-report-judge-daughter-now-suing/c2Bzgda88sQT9Xx6VA1XfN/story.html

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/massachusetts_state_police_col_2.html

BJJ
11-12-2017, 11:50 AM
What a mess.

blues
11-12-2017, 12:07 PM
I saw this the other day. This is hardly a dirty little secret but I'm glad it's coming to light and hope that there is some justice at the end of the line.

olstyn
11-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Wow. That lawsuit could have been part of a script for a TV drama about government/police corruption. It's certainly the kind of thing you wish was fictional. Hopefully the courts can sort out the truth of it and take appropriate action.

LSP552
11-12-2017, 12:39 PM
I’ve seen more than one senior LE executive come to believe their own press and threat the rules don’t apply to them. LSP recently had one retire in disgrace.

41magfan
11-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Yea, I got caught up in something similar after just a few years on the job. I told them pretty quick I wasn't going to change anything. Since I worked in an "at will" employment state with none of the property interest protections of law, they could have canned me for pretty much anything if they'd had a mind to do so.

I suspect much of the public sector would like to think things like this are merely aberrations, but regrettably they're as common as dirt. The larger issue however, is the collateral consequence of this reality; If these turds will do this to their own, don't think for a minute they would have any reservations about screwing with you.

Our system of criminal justice is the best history has ever offered mankind, but it's only as good as the character of the people that wield its power.

Erick Gelhaus
11-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Someone posted on the old 10-8Forums an article from a New Jersey paper. They had researched lawsuits against NJ police departments over a multi-year period. My recollection is that 55-60% of the suits had been filed by employees. I need to expend some effort and find that one.

Wayne Dobbs
11-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Fairly typical and prevalent behavior by LE command types. Nothing to see here, so just move along with the rest of the sheep.

Dagga Boy
11-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Fairly typical and prevalent behavior by LE command types. Nothing to see here, so just move along with the rest of the sheep.

Once they hit a certain rank in large departments, it becomes apparent they are actually politicians in cops clothing and begin really acting like it.

willie
11-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately, the abused trooper will pay a price for not being a team player and for suing. The powers that be will never promote him because they don't trust him. They will view him as a troublemaker.

blues
11-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately, the abused trooper will pay a price for not being a team player and for suing. The powers that be will never promote him because they don't trust him. They will view him as a troublemaker.

That said, if we all go along to get along then the miscreants will win without a challenge. We may not win all the battles or even the war...but if we don't fight we're sure to lose, which would be a hell of our own making. (As present history has demonstrated most clearly.)

willie
11-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Absolutely true. The trooper's brave effort should serve as an example to follow. I'd feel honored to buy him a giant steak and several rounds of drinks, and then drive him home.

Totem Polar
11-12-2017, 07:18 PM
^^^I agree with this.

Lester Polfus
11-12-2017, 07:46 PM
At the department where I worked, our chief would make a note of guys like this, check them out through the grapevine, and if they seemed like solid people, reach out to them the next time we did a lateral hiring process.

We got some solid people that way. My department wasn't perfect but we tried.

TGS
11-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Eh, I don't know about that. I mean, sure, it's possible, but hear me out:

It's one thing to sue the department because someone was mean to you in basic; or sue the department because you're a female and don't like the "guy talk"; or sue the department because word got around that you got punished for being a fuckup.....it's another to sue a department for what your coworkers would likely want to sue them for, too. That's my impression of having seen a family member with just a few months on the job hem up a sergeant for his misconduct. Today he's in a specialty billet, and one of the most trusted and liked guys in the department.

And, if any of the command staff gets replaced, then the replacements will probably commend him and want to attach themselves just so they can appear as virtuous public servants.....even though they're just doing it for publicity.

willie
11-12-2017, 09:14 PM
That's a good perspective especially since the trooper is not an at will employee with an elected sheriff or local yokel appointed chief for a boss.

txdpd
11-12-2017, 10:53 PM
At the department where I worked, our chief would make a note of guys like this, check them out through the grapevine, and if they seemed like solid people, reach out to them the next time we did a lateral hiring process.

We got some solid people that way. My department wasn't perfect but we tried.

I didn't sue my department over some part 1 offense shenanigans, i.e. making offense reports for reported offenses, that ultimately resulted in a popular Sgt being forced to retire. My mistake. At a certain point when you're in, you're in and it's too late to worry about making waves. That bullshit followed me for years. IMO he's better off filing the suit, he's screwed either way, he might as well send a message to the agency that there will be consequences for fucking with him.

Lester Polfus
11-12-2017, 11:36 PM
I didn't sue my department over some part 1 offense shenanigans, i.e. making offense reports for reported offenses, that ultimately resulted in a popular Sgt being forced to retire. My mistake. At a certain point when you're in, you're in and it's too late to worry about making waves. That bullshit followed me for years. IMO he's better off filing the suit, he's screwed either way, he might as well send a message to the agency that there will be consequences for fucking with him.

I agree. The motto I have lived with my entire life is "If you fuck with me, I will make it hurt," and it' served me well.

Before he sued and brought all this to light, they could have slowly worn him down to make him either quit or fire him. Put him on the shit details. Write him up for a speck of lint on his uniform, stuff like that. Now he'd have a pretty clear cut retaliation claim to make.

CWM11B
11-13-2017, 07:45 AM
Two weeks in to retirement. Shit like this makes me like it even more.

willie
11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
A late friend who was very near retirement received a speeding ticket while traveling out of state. I asked if he had showed his deputy/sgt/law enforcement ID during the stop. He said no and gave the reason that he wished to retire soon. He feared possible retaliation from political enemies above him in the chain of command should he be accused of trying to weasel out of a ticket. The cops that I know don't disclose their l.e. identity to other cops when receiving traffic tickets. Part of their motivation is professionalism. My opinion is that some degree of distrust exists, but I can't explain this. I do sense it though.

Stephanie B
11-13-2017, 03:42 PM
That's a good perspective especially since the trooper is not an at will employee with an elected sheriff or local yokel appointed chief for a boss.

Non-LEO lawyer here: Depending on the facts, at-will status may not protect the bosses/agency from a retaliation claim. It's something you should check out with a local employment law attorney if the need arises.