PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor question

wrmettler
11-10-2017, 06:29 PM
I have a very old 9 mm suppressor that is a closed system.
I've had it for more than 25 years, I think.

I cannot open it to clean it, and I have to put grease in it before shooting.
It makes a huge mess.

So, Question:
Is there any way, or anyone who can take the suppressor and convert it to an open system, so I can more easily clean it?
And not have to put grease in it. I hate that.

I intend to follow all NFA rules if it can be done, so no worries there.
And, I'm in Phoenix so if there is anyone near, that'd be great.

Thanks for any suggestions.

voodoo_man
11-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Tried a solvent bath?

Many gunshops with gunsmiths have large cleaning solution baths available. About ten minutes in one of those will probably do the trick.

Just remember to lube it up and shoot the lube through it a few times. To make sure it's in the cracks.

Sigfan26
11-10-2017, 08:40 PM
What kind of can? Stalking Rhino and Liberty can convert to user serviceable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRCHolsters
11-10-2017, 10:17 PM
It would help to know the brand and model of the can. If it is one of the older AWC wet cans, they were made up of weldments and turned. Something like that would be pretty hard to rebuild(if it actually needs it)

wrmettler
11-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for everyone's replies.

It is an AWC Warp 6 I bought about 1991. It's a small suppressor. Don't need special sights.
So, it is an older wet can. Bought it for a m92 that I ultimately sold.
Kept the suppressor. Been in the safe for about 15 years.

JRCHolsters - I agree. It looks like it would be pretty hard to rebuild. Seems pretty sturdy.
SigFan26 - I'll call those folks and discuss.
VDM - Good recommendation. It's an excuse to drive to the range today.

Probably just keep working with some bore cleaner and brushes.

Thanks for the help people.

JRCHolsters
11-12-2017, 10:37 AM
The Warp 6 was bade from asymmetric baffles and spacers welded together and then turned in a lathe. There isn't actually a tube per se. The baffles were thick and the chances of them being shot out are slim. It is probably just severely clogged and could be flushed out. We used to dunk cans like that in boiling soapy water to break the gunk up. An ultrsound would be better. It wasn't a bad can for what it was intended to do and should still be serviceable.

wrmettler
11-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks JRCHolsters. I'll try the soaking.
My gunsmith didn't have a large bath. Well, I got carried away on the range and didn't pay too much attention.

Thanks everyone for the help.