PDA

View Full Version : Handguard for a Colt 6920 OEM2

Le Français
11-10-2017, 10:39 AM
I'd like the handguard to be at least 12.5 inches long, be capable of mounting rail sections (one ~4" piece at 12 o'clock should be enough for a front sight and light mount, I should think), and preferably cost under $200.

If anyone here has a used handguard they'd like to part with for the right price, I'm interested. Any suggestions regarding buying new are welcome, too.

Thanks!

P.S. The rifle is for home defense and may see use as an LE patrol rifle.

scw2
11-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Following this topic with interest. Picked up one a few months back when these were on sale but haven't gotten around to setting it up quite yet.

texasaggie2005
11-10-2017, 11:09 AM
The ALG EMR V2 13" (https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v2-m-lok.html) will set you back $155, and is a solid handguard.

ASH556
11-10-2017, 11:15 AM
The Geissele/ALG EMR is what'd I'd use. https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-emr-v3-m-lok.html

ETA: ^^Great minds think alike and post at the same time.

texasaggie2005
11-10-2017, 11:19 AM
The Geissele/ALG EMR is what'd I'd use. https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-emr-v3-m-lok.html

ETA: ^^Great minds think alike and post at the same time.

Ha, and we have some pretty similar carbines too.

rob_s
11-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Is anyone selling an Mlok handguard that attaches to the stock barrel nut that's also worth a shit?

HCM
11-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Is anyone selling an Mlok handguard that attaches to the stock barrel nut that's also worth a shit?

Troy Alpha ?

ASH556
11-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Troy Alpha ?

How do you feel about the Troy for hard use? I've installed several for customers and even had one for a couple weeks myself. I've never been thrilled with the barrel nut lockup/anti-rotation measures.

ASH556
11-10-2017, 02:55 PM

I'd like to see Monty @ Centurion make a larger OD version of his MLOK CMR that would attach to the stock nut the same way his C4 rails did.

ASH556
11-10-2017, 03:04 PM
I'd like the handguard to be at least 12.5 inches long, be capable of mounting rail sections (one ~4" piece at 12 o'clock should be enough for a front sight and light mount, I should think), and preferably cost under $200.

If anyone here has a used handguard they'd like to part with for the right price, I'm interested. Any suggestions regarding buying new are welcome, too.

Thanks!

P.S. The rifle is for home defense and may see use as an LE patrol rifle.

I know you said under $200, but Brownells is having a sale on Geissele and you can get the excellent MK8 MLOK for $215 right now (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-m16-mk-8-super-modular-rails-m-lok-prod71291.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=GEISSELE%2bAUT OMATICS%2bLLC)

I use these hand guards on my personal carbines as well as karmapolice and texasaggie2005.

texasaggie2005
11-10-2017, 03:25 PM
I know you said under $200, but Brownells is having a sale on Geissele and you can get the excellent MK8 MLOK for $215 right now (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-m16-mk-8-super-modular-rails-m-lok-prod71291.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=GEISSELE%2bAUT OMATICS%2bLLC)

I use these hand guards on my personal carbines as well as karmapolice and texasaggie2005.

Mk8's are awesome handguards for sure. I recently sold that upper, and am now rocking the Mk14. Which I greatly prefer over the Mk8.

karmapolice
11-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Mk8's are awesome handguards for sure. I recently sold that upper, and am now rocking the Mk14. Which I greatly prefer over the Mk8.

mk8 for life, but if you have small hands like the bk commercial I guess the mk14 would be okay.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4572/38317045411_b6f24eb241_b.jpg

HCM
11-10-2017, 04:37 PM
How do you feel about the Troy for hard use? I've installed several for customers and even had one for a couple weeks myself. I've never been thrilled with the barrel nut lockup/anti-rotation measures.

I've had a Troy VTAC Alppha for several years but I can't say I've run it hard.

A better measure would be the FBI's use of the standard cheesegrater Alpha on their issued and personal purchase Colt Rifles. They have since switched to the Geissele MK 4 on the issued rifles but the existing Alpha's are still in use and are still standard on the POW rifles.

texasaggie2005
11-10-2017, 05:03 PM

A buddy has a 12" Fortis Rev II (https://fortismfg.com/rails/rev%20II/ar15-fortis-REV-2-free-float-rail-system-12-MLOK) on a range toy. No clue whether or not it's good, and he won't be hard enough on it to tell.

mk8 for life, but if you have small hands like the bk commercial I guess the mk14 would be okay.

Ouch, but sorta true...

HCM
11-10-2017, 05:07 PM

I have a MK 8 on my SPR build. It's great but I would go with a MK 13 or 14 for a carbine build.

Le Français
11-11-2017, 07:50 AM

May I ask how long the barrel and handguard are in this photo?

Le Français
11-11-2017, 08:23 AM
The ALG EMR V2 13" (https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v2-m-lok.html) will set you back $155, and is a solid handguard.

Thanks; this looks like a great option (and it comes in gray, which is awesome). Does anyone know if ALG typically has sales for Black Friday? I may wait until then just to see (not that the price now isn't reasonable).

I appreciate all the suggestions; keep it up!

Kram
11-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks; this looks like a great option (and it comes in gray, which is awesome). Does anyone know if ALG typically has sales for Black Friday? I may wait until then just to see (not that the price now isn't reasonable).

They offered 20% off everything on Black Friday last year. Geiselle was 25%. Patiently waiting as I want another SSA trigger.

littlejerry
11-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Honest question: what do the "higher end" HGs do that the ALG doesn't? Is it just easier install without timing? I'm going to keep an eye out for deals this holiday season and buy pieces for another upper that I'll build next year.

I've had a 13" ALG for ~2 years now and it's been great. It was cheap and it's held up to abuse. I don't generally mount stuff to my HG, but I have occasionally used a bipod, light, irons, and offset MRDS with it. I honestly don't have any complaints, but I'm just a hobbyist gamer/hunter.

And yes- wait for a sale. The ALG rails are crazy cheap when on sale.

BigT
11-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Ive got a 13 ALG V3 in DDC that's going on my 6720 on Monday.

Jesting Devil
11-11-2017, 10:19 AM
On the ALG, check their Blems regularly. $80 for my 15in rail. It is purple but that's cool [emoji846]

texasaggie2005
11-11-2017, 11:02 AM

No problem. And yeah, they do several sales a year.

Honest question: what do the "higher end" HGs do that the ALG doesn't? Is it just easier install without timing? I'm going to keep an eye out for deals this holiday season and buy pieces for another upper that I'll build next year.

I've had a 13" ALG for ~2 years now and it's been great. It was cheap and it's held up to abuse. I don't generally mount stuff to my HG, but I have occasionally used a bipod, light, irons, and offset MRDS with it. I honestly don't have any complaints, but I'm just a hobbyist gamer/hunter.

And yes- wait for a sale. The ALG rails are crazy cheap when on sale.

Honestly, after having an ALG EMR V1, a Mk8 and now a Mk14; For 100% of my uses, the ALG was perfect. I'll probably get laughed at for the reasons why I built the rifle above...

HCM
11-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Both ALG and Geissele normally have Black Friday / cyber Monday sales.

ASH556
11-11-2017, 03:00 PM
May I ask how long the barrel and handguard are in this photo?

13” rail, 14.5” barrel

Whiskey_Bravo
11-14-2017, 01:56 PM
I got a 13" Centurion CMR M-Lok off of Ebay for $190.00 shipped. Very happy with it overall and redefined what a lightweight, slim, low profile rail should be in my mind. Colt seemed to agree with this consensus as well.

That being said, I would have a hard time NOT buying on of those MK14 Geissle's for future builds. Everything they build is just awesome.

Le Français
12-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Update: I got an ALG V2 MLOK hand guard, and I like it a lot! The rifle is almost complete.

Colt 6920 OEM2
Steiner P4xi 1-4x24mm
Aero scope mount
Magpul MBUS PRO sights
Magpul CTR stock
Streamlight HL-X (1000 lumens)
Magpul cantilever scout mount
Tango Down mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshjath
12-24-2017, 05:35 PM
I've used rails ranging from the issued KAC RAS to DD LITE III's to Midwest industries MLOKs. Since I got my Geissele Mk. 14, I don't see myself going with anything else in the future. It's not much over $200 either, especially when you consider the price of a rail compared to the price of the ammo you will put through the rifle.

hiro
12-25-2017, 10:01 PM
rob_s Did you find anything other than the Troy Alpha?

I mailed Centurion back in March asking if they planned on doing an M-Lok with a cut out for a FSB. They said they planned to but had no ETA. I'll follow up after the holidays to see if there's any more news and if they are planning to use the standard barrel nut or their own.

KG
12-26-2017, 11:57 AM
I’ve been happy with my Colt OEM/Troy VTAC Alpha rail. It’s not the best rail on the market anymore and not M-LOK of course. It does keep the original Colt Barrel nut, gas block, etc in place if that’s important to you. I bought it used for less than $100. There’s some good prices on used VTAC rails from time to time as people upgrade to the newer style rails. It had been bead/sand blasted and cerakoted by the original owner. Buckshot installed the IWC QD slingmount for me. Weight as pictured is 7 lbs 5 ounces.