PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Home Defense Shotgun In New Jersey

veteran-USMC
11-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Gentlemen 2 days ago NJ elected a new Democratic Gov. who stated NJ will have stricter & tougher Gun Laws-will try to ban AR-15 rifles. I am looking into purchasing a semi-auto shotgun! I follow the rule of buying what my wife(5'tall & 135lbs.) can handle.
What do shooters think of Mossbergs 20SA semi-auto shotgun? Also can a woman the size of my wife handle a Berreta 1301-Tactical semi-auto shotgun? Ranges in NJ don't rent shotguns in my area-- so its you have to know for sure what will work for your needs!
Any suggestions on the above along with any recommended semi-auto shotguns that are reliable are welcomed.

PS I am a former Marine Veteran who has a lot of rifle experience & limited shotgun experience!

Screwball
11-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Check gas operated 12 gauge shotguns. If a range doesn’t rent it, try going to a trap range and talk to shooters.

I’m bias to the Remington 11-87, since I have two.

txdpd
11-10-2017, 12:30 AM
Unless your wife can't handle the weight of a 12 gauge shotgun, there isn't any reason to go out of your way to pick up a 20 gauge for home defense. Low recoil 12 gauge 8 pellet 00 buckshot, like the Federal and Hornandy LE offerings, will be pushing about the same weight load at about the same velocity as a 20 gauge load, but have much better terminal performance.

hufnagel
11-10-2017, 08:25 AM
my personal opinion: the 20ga shockwave has a chance to be a great home defense firearm.

also, if you're close enough to make it to Clinton Wildlife Management area this Sunday the 12th at 9am, you're more than welcome to attend Shotgun Shootout: Pumpkin Edition.
we're a friendly bunch of gun owners who have only 1 real "rule" (beyond BE SAFE!): if you can feed it, you can shoot it. :D

PM me for details.

veteran-USMC
11-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Good Morning Shooter! Presently I own a Tavor X95 -5.56 cal, rifle--sweetest rifle I have shot in my entire life. At 500 yards in the Marines I could hit the bullseye with a Colt M16--this rifle is even more accurate.
A N.J. Dem. Senator -Loretta Weinberg proposed banning the following list of guns in NJ-

w. "Assault firearm" means:
(1) The following firearms:
Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS223 types
FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M14S type
MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

Thank-fully our past Gov-Christy vetoed this proposal.
A new Gov is in town-Gov. Murphy a Dem. who says he's going to reverse all of Christ's veto's!

My Tavor X95 is legal along with the AR-15 rifles. I wonder if this new Gov bans all AR-15 weapon systems if the companies who made such weapons can make them legal again? A few years ago NJ banned all AR-15 rifles and the companies of these weapons found ways to make them legal again. Truthfully I wish I was better at law so I could understand what just might happen in NJ. This Tavor X(% cost me $1800.00 & I don't wish to lose this fine rifle. I,m just wondering if my weapon ends up being banned if you can still use it for home defense in a lethal encounter.

PS Having fought for this country to have freedom is a joke because in NJ they are trying to take away all our 2nd amendment rights. Any opinions you have about the fore-mentioned -please share.

Time for more coffee!

Jeep
11-10-2017, 10:26 AM
veteran:

I'm pretty sure all of those firearms were banned in New Jersey long before Christie was elected. Here is what Wikipedia says on the subject (and based on previous research I think it is correct):

Under New Jersey law, a firearm is classified as an "assault firearm" if it meets the following criteria:[25]
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and at least two of the following: Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and at least two of the following: Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with at least two of the following: Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
A magazine capacity exceeding six rounds
An ability to accept a detachable magazine

Banned manufacturers, models, and types[edit]

The following manufacturers, models, and types are namingly banned:[26]
Armalite AR-180 type
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
CETME G3
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series (Colt Match Target Rifle are allowed)
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
FAMAS MAS223 types
G3SA type
M1 carbine type
M14S type (M1a's are allowed)
PJK M-68 carbine type
Weaver Arm Nighthawk

Duelist
11-10-2017, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't even think about using that rifle as a defense weapon in NJ, whether or not that specific one has been banned. It doesn't sound like you live in a small Texas town that's been transplanted to the northeast, so an AR or equivalent is right out. I'd get a basic shotgun, for sure. And look at moving.

Shumba
11-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Good Morning Shooter! Presently I own a Tavor X95 -5.56 cal, rifle--sweetest rifle I have shot in my entire life. At 500 yards in the Marines I could hit the bullseye with a Colt M16--this rifle is even more accurate.
A N.J. Dem. Senator -Loretta Weinberg proposed banning the following list of guns in NJ-

w. "Assault firearm" means:
(1) The following firearms:
Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
CETME G3
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
FAMAS MAS223 types
G3SA type
M1 carbine type
M14S type
PJK M-68 carbine type

Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

Thank-fully our past Gov-Christy vetoed this proposal.
A new Gov is in town-Gov. Murphy a Dem. who says he's going to reverse all of Christ's veto's!

My Tavor X95 is legal along with the AR-15 rifles. I wonder if this new Gov bans all AR-15 weapon systems if the companies who made such weapons can make them legal again? A few years ago NJ banned all AR-15 rifles and the companies of these weapons found ways to make them legal again. Truthfully I wish I was better at law so I could understand what just might happen in NJ. This Tavor X(% cost me $1800.00 & I don't wish to lose this fine rifle. I,m just wondering if my weapon ends up being banned if you can still use it for home defense in a lethal encounter.

PS Having fought for this country to have freedom is a joke because in NJ they are trying to take away all our 2nd amendment rights. Any opinions you have about the fore-mentioned -please share.

Time for more coffee!

Brother,
Come to Pennsylvania where sanity still prevails.
S/F,
Shumba

veteran-USMC
11-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Brother,
Come to Pennsylvania where sanity still prevails.
S/F,
Shumba

I wish it was that easy! Lived in Lansdale,Hatfield,Penna.

Kyle Reese
11-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Beretta 1301 Tactical.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

HCM
11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Beretta 1301 Tactical.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

This ^^^.

The 1301 is gas operated and there fore soft shooting. Another factor - The Length of Pull on the stock is reasonably short. Stocks which don't fit because they are too long tend to magnify the effects of felt recoil. Given Gas operation, plus proper fit and reduced recoil 12 gauge loads there is no compelling reason to choose a 20 gauge.

Add a tau development bolt release shroud, a light and possibly a red dot sight and you are in business.

Unobtanium
11-10-2017, 06:42 PM
This ^^^.

The 1301 is gas operated and there fore soft shooting. Another factor - The Length of Pull on the stock is reasonably short. Stocks which don't fit because they are too long tend to magnify the effects of felt recoil. Given Gas operation, plus proper fit and reduced recoil 12 gauge loads there is no compelling reason to choose a 20 gauge.

Add a tau development bolt release shroud, a light and possibly a red dot sight and you are in business.

I agree except the "frames" on some 20's are smaller and it makes the gun seem a lot more sprightly than it "should", kindof like a 14.5 vs a 16.1" carbine barrel. That said, I don't think OP really cares about that, and I have said what you're saying time and again. The "myth and legend" of the 12ga is a double edged sword to new shooters. The fury and bluster at the other end of the barrel isn't nearly what they expect, but legends never die...

psalms144.1
11-10-2017, 07:02 PM
I would look at the 1301, but NOT the PG model. With an adapter plate, you can add Magpul's 870 stock, which will be even more friendly to a smaller framed shooter. Another option would be the Benelli M2 with Comfortech stock. The stock is longish, but works for attenuating recoil. I SEVERELY dislike shooting our issued M500s with standard 00 buck, but I can shoot flite control reduced recoil through my M2 all day long with no discomfort.

I'd also look at a 22" VR barrel - looks a lot more like a hunting shotgun than an evil semiautomatic death machine. When NYS went full retard with the Safe Act, they banned, by name, darned near every long gun with the word "tactical" in its name.

HCM
11-10-2017, 09:35 PM
I would look at the 1301, but NOT the PG model. With an adapter plate, you can add Magpul's 870 stock, which will be even more friendly to a smaller framed shooter. Another option would be the Benelli M2 with Comfortech stock. The stock is longish, but works for attenuating recoil. I SEVERELY dislike shooting our issued M500s with standard 00 buck, but I can shoot flite control reduced recoil through my M2 all day long with no discomfort.

I'd also look at a 22" VR barrel - looks a lot more like a hunting shotgun than an evil semiautomatic death machine. When NYS went full retard with the Safe Act, they banned, by name, darned near every long gun with the word "tactical" in its name.

I believe the arridus adaptor allows use of the magpul Mossberg 500 stock.

SeriousStudent
11-10-2017, 11:04 PM
I believe the arridus adaptor allows use of the magpul Mossberg 500 stock.

This is correct. I own one, and it takes the Mossberg variety.

HCM
11-11-2017, 01:17 AM
I agree except the "frames" on some 20's are smaller and it makes the gun seem a lot more sprightly than it "should", kindof like a 14.5 vs a 16.1" carbine barrel. That said, I don't think OP really cares about that, and I have said what you're saying time and again. The "myth and legend" of the 12ga is a double edged sword to new shooters. The fury and bluster at the other end of the barrel isn't nearly what they expect, but legends never die...

The first real gun I had was a 20 gauge H&R single shot. The LOP was 14" plus a rubber slip on recoil pad. That thing kicked like a mule as a kid. Shot it not to long ago and guess what ? It still kicks like a mule because the 15" LOP is still too long. A judicious trimming is in order.

peterb
11-11-2017, 05:38 AM

My wife is 5'0" with small hands, as in smaller than women's S gloves. A typical 20 works better than a similar 12 for her just because the smaller fame and stock dimensions(width, diameter) make it easier to grip.
My experience with smaller shooters is that fit and balance are more important than weight. Weight isn't bad as long as the gun isn't front-heavy for them.

DamonL
11-11-2017, 08:03 AM
For the OP, if you buy a Beretta 1301 or Benelli M2, get the shortest barrel competition or field model rather than the tactical model. It sounds like your state will eventually ban shotguns with the word tactical in the name.

Spartan1980
11-11-2017, 02:30 PM
My opinion of new autoloader reliability isn't very good generally speaking. I'd also recommend the 1301 or go old school and get a Browning Auto-5, the old humpback, not the new one. They were so reliable (with proper loads) that they didn't have any real market competition for about 60 years. The new Remington and Winchester autos just don't instill enough confidence in me to bet my life on them. Benelli is also a great option. They can be picky as to certain loads but the quality and reliability is certainly there. Benelli, Beretta and maybe, possibly a Remington Versa-Max but based on the workmanship of the new 870s I'd be leary to rely on it without shooting a bunch of ammo to instill confidence. Clearing a jam in a fight doesn't sound like a good time.

I also wouldn't fret about a 20 gauge with good #3 buck loads.

veteran-USMC
11-12-2017, 11:00 AM
My wife is 5'0" with small hands, as in smaller than women's S gloves. A typical 20 works better than a similar 12 for her just because the smaller fame and stock dimensions(width, diameter) make it easier to grip.
My experience with smaller shooters is that fit and balance are more important than weight. Weight isn't bad as long as the gun isn't front-heavy for them.

Thank-you for your opinion on a 20 gauge. Going to my local range to look at a few 20 gauge shotguns. I still follow the belief that for home defense you get a gun that your wife can handle --PERIOD!

Unobtanium
11-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Thank-you for your opinion on a 20 gauge. Going to my local range to look at a few 20 gauge shotguns. I still follow the belief that for home defense you get a gun that your wife can handle --PERIOD!

Why doesn't OP buy his shotgun, and his wife can buy hers, after they both decide what they like? That way everyone gets EXACTLY what they like. Make sure you can of course actually use the other if you have to, though.

GJM
11-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Easy answer for me — Benelli M2 20 gauge with the youth length Comfortech stock. Recoil is modest, but even more important it is a much lighter, easier handling shotgun. Here is one cut down with AO sights (still has the higher comb from when it had a T1 on the receiver).

Treecop
11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Why an auto? Seems like the next step for gun grabbers will be non-duck hunting autoloaders. I’d recommend a pair of 870’s, 12 for you and 20 for the Mrs. The 20ga youth model already has a shortened stock.
Additionally, they are the most ubiquitous shotgun in America. Aftermarket parts are available everywhere from Dicks/Gander/Academy type big box stores to Amazon to Wilson/Nighthawk/Suarez custom shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
11-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Why an auto? Seems like the next step for gun grabbers will be non-duck hunting autoloaders. I’d recommend a pair of 870’s, 12 for you and 20 for the Mrs. The 20ga youth model already has a shortened stock.
Additionally, they are the most ubiquitous shotgun in America. Aftermarket parts are available everywhere from Dicks/Gander/Academy type big box stores to Amazon to Wilson/Nighthawk/Suarez custom shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An auto because unless you run a pump gun regular short stroking and user induced malfunctions are common with pump guns. I saw this regularly when our officers shot the shotgun once per quarter. Even more so now that they are only shooting it once per year.

Jeep
11-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Short stroking is very real--I have seen if too many times with not-very-experienced shooters.

An 1100 in 20 gauge is a bit heavy--but has relatively light recoil.

Tensaw
11-15-2017, 05:40 AM
I bought a Mossberg 20SA for my 13 year old daughter to duck hunt with under the theory that it would have less recoil than a 12 gauge. I was just about wrong. She shot it for a season or two - and liked it just fine to hunt with. But I realized pretty early on that the recoil was nearly that of my piggish 11-87 12 gauge. When I finally convinced her to shoot the 11-87, she was good moving to a 12 gauge (which ended up being a Mossberg 930 with its gas operation and pretty light weight - this has been a good gun for her).

One thing about the 20 though, it was very fast handling and light. I liked it for that reason, but for ducks, the increased payload of the 12 outweighed the weight penalty. Incidentally, I recall that function was 100%. Also note that the Mossberg and Weatherby offering are essentially the same gun. I believe the Weatherby may have slightly nicer finishing and options, along with a slightly higher price tag. I did try to get a longer (non-youth) stock for the Mossberg before I sold it, but Mossberg did not have that option available at that time, which was a little frustrating.

Nephrology
11-24-2017, 07:07 AM
Easy answer for me — Benelli M2 20 gauge with the youth length Comfortech stock. Recoil is modest, but even more important it is a much lighter, easier handling shotgun. Here is one cut down with AO sights (still has the higher comb from when it had a T1 on the receiver).

My interest is piqued...