PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bikes

Pages : [1] 2

jeep45238
11-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Who’s got them, where do you ride them?

Broke my last mid level (from 95), and am pinching pennies for a Trek Fuel Ex 8 - need some inspiration while I’m without a MTB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JodyH
11-09-2017, 08:48 AM
I ride a Ellsworth Evolution 29'r in the southern Rocky Mountains, around the Texas Hill Country and at least one trip a year to Moab.
The Ellsworth 29'r is like riding on a cloud.

mtnbkr
11-09-2017, 09:31 AM
I ride a bike I built myself several years ago. The frame is a Taiwan-sourced aluminum hardtail 29r, the parts are a mishmash of stuff. Fork is a chromoly rigid fork (glutton for punishment). Gearing is 1x9 with a 32x34 low. I ride the Mid-Atlantic region, and parts of the Appalachian mountains in VA, WV, TN, and NC.

Chris21467

Chris

Krenovian
11-09-2017, 10:36 AM
I ride a Niner Jet Nine here in Utah. We are fortunate to have some of the best mountain biking trails in the West.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

MD7305
11-09-2017, 07:07 PM
I ride a Yeti ASRc 29er. I mostly ride east TN and western NC. 2017 was my 20th anniversary of getting into mountain biking, it's my drug.

trailrunner
11-09-2017, 07:43 PM
I got bikes. My MTB is an Stumpjumper FSR.

My latest bike is a gravel bike (Salsa Warbird carbon), which I bought last month. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on that bike.

I still ride the first MTB I owned, which was a Rockhopper that I bought in 1992. I commuted to work on it yesterday.

OlongJohnson
11-09-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm 6'4". Found a custom enormous Kona hardtail frame built for Ryan Trebon on Ebay and built it up from components quite a few years ago. Pretty much like an AR built on stripped receivers. It actually fits me, and I love it. Loved riding it in SoCal. Hate the flatness here in Houston.

JodyH
11-09-2017, 08:33 PM
2017 was my 20th anniversary of getting into mountain biking, it's my drug.

I still ride the first MTB I owned, which was a Rockhopper that I bought in 1992. I commuted to work on it yesterday.
Damn I feel old.
My first mountain bike was a chromoly Takara way back in 1981.

peterb
11-09-2017, 08:38 PM

From a dirt-road ride in early spring. Water in the sun, ice in the shade.

Dagga Boy
11-09-2017, 08:44 PM
A huge passion for me for a lot of life until I got hurt at the cop job. Hit 55 mph in the daytime and 45 at night on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikazi Downhill. Followed the race circuit, and used to watch Mrs. GJM race professionally. I just started riding a little again lately. My bikes floored the shop guys in retro cool factor. Mantis Flying V and a Cannondale Tandem. The Mantis is my baby. Most new to this won't get the significance of a hand built Richard Cunningham bike.

mtnbkr
11-09-2017, 08:55 PM
A huge passion for me for a lot of life until I got hurt at the cop job. Hit 55 mph in the daytime and 45 at night on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikazi Downhill. Followed the race circuit, and used to watch Mrs. GJM race professionally. I just started riding a little again lately. My bikes floored the shop guys in retro cool factor. Mantis Flying V and a Cannondale Tandem. The Mantis is my baby. Most new to this won't get the significance of a hand built Richard Cunningham bike.

I remember the elevated chainstay fad back in the early 90s. I lusted after one, but by the time I was ready to buy another bike, they had passed.

Damn I feel old.
My first mountain bike was a chromoly Takara way back in 1981.

My first one was some non-name steel bike back in '83. It had Bullmoose-style handlebars, so it was cool. :D

Chris

Casual Friday
11-09-2017, 09:01 PM
I still have my first mountain bike, a Huffy Stone Mountain. It's a textured gray splatter paint with neon green accents. Probably got it in 1990 or '91. Although a bit faded and weathered, it still features a "pretty cool, huh?" Rainier Dry bumper sticker. It was in the attic storage in the garage at my parent house and I found it when they passed away a couple years ago. It needs a little TLC though.

I bought a Raleigh about 15 years ago and still ride it quite a bit, mostly with the kids. I've always wanted to be more into it but I'm just not. I trail ride a little here and there but nothing major. I suspect having the body of Shrek doesn't help.

Random internet picture of the Huffy Stone Mountain.

OlongJohnson
11-09-2017, 10:38 PM
I'm 6'4". Found a custom enormous Kona hardtail frame built for Ryan Trebon on Ebay and built it up from components quite a few years ago. Pretty much like an AR built on stripped receivers. It actually fits me, and I love it. Loved riding it in SoCal. Hate the flatness here in Houston.

Since we're going all retro, I saved and bought a Rockhopper Comp at the end of eighth grade. Rode it through high school, then it became my main wheels in college, even after I got to the point where I had a car while going to school (lived on campus).

I bought a Stumpjumper M2 in the fall after I graduated. I test rode every manufacturer's hardtail that summer, and the Specialized was the best. Most of the parts have been replaced at least once, but the frame, crankset and derailleurs are still going strong. There's a solid fork ready to go on it soon and make it a commuter bike for cooler weather.

A bike I wish I still had is a Schwinn Stingray. Yellow with the ape hanger bars and top tube shifter. It was a present for my fourth birthday. It's a wonder my junk still works after the jumps I missed with that shifter. It would have been money during the years when I lived near the beach in SoCal.

Oh, yeah. At my size and weight, I eat drivetrain parts about twice as fast as my normal size friends.

JodyH
11-09-2017, 11:39 PM
I had a early '70's Yamaha full suspension 20" bicycle.
The thing weighed more than some motorcycles do today, but damn it was cool back in the day.
:cool:

It looked like this one:

idahojess
11-10-2017, 12:04 AM
My first bike was a GT Tequesta that I bought with berry picking money in 1989.
It's a great sport -- I currently have a 2006 Stumpjumper FSR that has been a solid ride. I don't ride as much as I used to, but it still makes me feel like a kid.

(Tried to take the upside down photo out, didn't work -- oh well, enjoy...)

Lomshek
11-10-2017, 12:30 AM
Not as old as Dagga Boy's rides but here's my old school 26" Trek Top Fuel after getting a new lease on life this year.

Here's my son hitting one of the more rugged trails in Arkansas with me a month ago. He's been riding for a long time but not been on the more advanced trails before. He only wrecked once and didn't even need stitches!

fwrun
11-10-2017, 03:31 AM
Specialized Crave SL 29er, rigid fork. Originally Single Speed, but I converted it to 1x10.

JodyH
11-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Here's a quick GoPro helmet cam shot from my 13 year old boy's first ever mountainbike trail ride.
This is a easy single track around the perimeter of a city park in Lubbock, Texas.
I'm cruising my Ellsworth showing him the way, he's huffing and puffing along behind me on his Ghost.

https://youtu.be/oBBvYYR1Kvc

jeep45238
11-14-2017, 07:02 PM
You’re giving hope that I’ll be able to put one together before spring gets here. Current top selection is a Trek Fuel Ex. Will be riding in the Midwest a lot, with the western states next summer.

jc000
11-14-2017, 08:35 PM
My ride is a fully rigid Independent Fabrications Deluxe 29er. I think I’ve posted pics of it here before – don’t we have these mountain bike threads every couple of months?

I’m currently borrowing this bad boy:

So far I can say that I’m not a fan of the lower 27” wheel bottom bracket, the 1x drivetrain is pretty sweet, and dropper posts are weird. I’m planning on picking up a dual suspension bike next year and this ride has given me food for thought.

I’ve picked some side work as a mechanic again. Forgot how much I enjoyed that, especially on higher end bikes.
JodyH which Ellsworth do you have? I’m kinda sorta looking at an Epiphany.

Coyotesfan97
11-14-2017, 10:15 PM
I’m riding a Giant Talon 3. I thought I had pics of it but couldn’t find any. I’ll get some tomorrow

I usually ride in Usery Park in the East Valley. This is Pass Mpintain as the sun is going down.

I can meet new friends. He caused a hiker, biker, horse jam the othe day.

JodyH
11-14-2017, 10:30 PM
JodyH which Ellsworth do you have? I’m kinda sorta looking at an Epiphany.
jc000
Evolution SST.2 29"

idahojess
11-15-2017, 12:26 AM
I can meet new friends. He caused a hiker, biker, horse jam the othe day.

Are those out year-round down there? At least I only worry about them through about October around here.

Jakus
11-15-2017, 12:31 AM
I just recently started riding a bike again as my 5 year old is getting comfortable on his BMX bike at the pump track and back and forth to school. There is a pretty good volunteer group here is Dallas that helps establish and maintain trails.

Not exactly picturesque terrain, but it’s scratching the backpacking/hiking itch that I don’t get to very often.

Here’s my Diamondback 27.5+ hardtail.

beenalongtime
11-15-2017, 01:47 AM
What kind of budget do you guys set for a bike?
As a kid, I only had a single speed. A few years ago, I picked up a used Walmart special ($50) and used it to realize I enjoyed riding. The last couple years, life has been in the way, but I would like a "proper" bike now. I know I enjoy it, and I will have to find/make time to ride (even if just around the neighborhood).

Thanks

Coyotesfan97
11-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Are those out year-round down there? At least I only worry about them through about October around here.

It’s about time for them to hide. It’s been warmer than usual this year. I think he was warming on the trail. He was playing dead until I poked him with a long stick.

ETA he was about two feet long.

jeep45238
11-15-2017, 02:56 AM
Any thoughts on potential downsides of going with a 27.5+ bike over a 29er?

Is anyone riding the new 12 speed SRAM setup?

peterb
11-15-2017, 05:34 AM

27.5+ is going to give you a heavier wheel & tire combination than a 29er. The disadvantage is that it feels more sluggish when accelerating. The advantage of that bigger softer footprint starts to show up as the trail gets worse.

If you mostly ride hardpack/dirt roads/flow trails, the 29er may be faster. It's the current choice of XC racers. As the rocks & roots increase the wider tire starts to help with traction and is more forgiving.

jc000
11-15-2017, 05:37 AM

IME, I've gotten a lot more pedal strikes. That would dependent on your riding style to some degree.

jeep45238
11-15-2017, 05:46 AM
IME, I've gotten a lot more pedal strikes. That would dependent on your riding style to some degree.

Let's call it....not talented, and starting fresh, for a riding style. My last mountain bike was an old 26 inch that I broke essentially everything on but the elastomer shock (somehow that survived). A lot of that was just getting a taste and starting to ride trails, the other part was 15+ year old components with no maintenence.

I've come a long way in the maintenence department, but haven't had an opportunity to ride trails in several years.

jc000
11-15-2017, 05:47 AM
What kind of budget do you guys set for a bike?
As a kid, I only had a single speed. A few years ago, I picked up a used Walmart special ($50) and used it to realize I enjoyed riding. The last couple years, life has been in the way, but I would like a "proper" bike now. I know I enjoy it, and I will have to find/make time to ride (even if just around the neighborhood).

Reasonable quality bikes will start minimally at about $350, $500-$750 will get you a pretty solid performer, and $1000-$1500 opens up a number of high-quality options. Of course bikes in the $4000-10000 range are pretty commonplace.

The difference between a Walmart bike and a bike made by a quality bike company will be pretty substantial. Let me know if you have other questions.

jc000
11-15-2017, 05:53 AM
Let's call it....not talented, and starting fresh, for a riding style. My last mountain bike was an old 26 inch that I broke essentially everything on but the elastomer shock (somehow that survived). A lot of that was just getting a taste and starting to ride trails, the other part was 15+ year old components with no maintenence.

I've come a long way in the maintenence department, but haven't had an opportunity to ride trails in several years.

How tall are you? The frame geometry of 29er bikes seems more suitable for riders over 5' 10". Dependent on your budget there are quite a few bikes that can handle 27.5+ and 29er wheels so if you ever wanted to swap you won't need a new bike.

There are World Cup Downhill bikes riding on 29er wheels – no worries about them being adequate for a variety of trail conditions / riding styles.

jeep45238
11-15-2017, 05:57 AM
I'm just a shade under 6 foot. Budget wise I'll be sticking with Trek - I get a great deal on bikes due to the training they made available since I started working there. Not sure if I'll get into the wheel swapping game, as that's a nice smacker on the wallet for a set of wheels and a cog; much better deal to buy the finished product with less headaches.

vaspence
11-15-2017, 08:47 AM
The Trek Roscoe 8 looks to be a lot of bike for the money.

Doc_Glock
11-15-2017, 11:50 AM
used to watch Mrs. GJM race professionally.!!

I need to meet her.

Mantis Flying V and a Cannondale Tandem. The Mantis is my baby. Most new to this won't get the significance of a hand built Richard Cunningham bike.

I get it and we also have a Cannondale Tandem. Really want a Ventana for that role though.

theJanitor
11-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Who remembers this from the 90's. GT's first thermoplastic DH bike. I had to pull some strings to get a frame, as only Mike King and Steve Peat had them, IIRC. It was crazy to think that at the time, this cost more than my KX250 with a Procircuit motor and Race Tech suspension.

https://i.imgur.com/hgiD4rM.jpg

Dagga Boy
11-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Who remembers this from the 90's. GT's first thermoplastic DH bike. I had to pull some strings to get a frame, as only Mike King and Steve Peat had them, IIRC. It was crazy to think that at the time, this cost more than my KX250 with a Procircuit motor and Race Tech suspension.

https://i.imgur.com/hgiD4rM.jpg

I remember those. I hit my big (for me) speeds on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze on a GT RTS-1 that was basically set up as a twin to Julie Furtado's bike.

theJanitor
11-15-2017, 08:12 PM
I remember those. I hit my big (for me) speeds on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze on a GT RTS-1 that was basically set up as a twin to Julie Furtado's bike.

This Lobo's rear end was not much stiffer than a wet noodle, but it was the best at the time

marty.eaves
11-15-2017, 08:21 PM
I’m riding a Giant Talon 3. I thought I had pics of it but couldn’t find any. I’ll get some tomorrow

I usually ride in Usery Park in the East Valley. This is Pass Mpintain as the sun is going down.

I can meet new friends. He caused a hiker, biker, horse jam the othe day.My son got bit by one riding Cedar Hill state park in 2008. It was dry very fortunately...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Doc_Glock
11-15-2017, 11:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171116/32eea83d7f11d950f8e8b723c3ade671.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171116/a36165fec77981df1c09570d295228f8.jpg

mtnbkr
11-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Is that a Jone frame or just the fork? I can't tell from the pics.

Jones frames were en vogue around here with the well-heeled bike hipsters for a while.

Chris

cornstalker
11-16-2017, 08:13 AM
I ride a Trek Fuel EX8+. The traction from the 27.5+ tires is stupid good compared to the grip I got with 26x2.35. I run the air pressure at 16-18 pounds. The outer diameter of a 27.5+ is essentially the same as a 29er, so I couldn't see a clearance benefit by going with the niner. The weird part is the "basketball" sound the tires make when popping over rocks.

Here is a little crappy go pro footage from the Mount Herman trails in Monument, Colorado. Quick ride before work this summer. The sun was brutal...

https://youtu.be/mn3qqynIt8g

Doc_Glock
11-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Is that a Jone frame or just the fork? I can't tell from the pics.

Jones frames were en vogue around here with the well-heeled bike hipsters for a while.

Chris

Jones steel Taiwan built diamond frame with his truss Fork.

I am not a hipster, but I have gone through a lot of single speeds over the years. This one is where I settled and I have happily ridden it six years and have yet to break it.

I personally feel Taiwanese production bikes are higher quality than many custom frame builders.

This bike rides on the firm side, and the fore aft stiffness of the truss is a real thing. Which is fine by me as I spend a lot of time in technical terrain.

I had the swoopy Jones “spaceframe” for a while and did not care for its flexibility. I have a friend who loves that feeling.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171116/8d297d79be7ece182488e58da4b5ce1f.jpg

Dagga Boy
11-16-2017, 01:15 PM

I am not a hipster, but I have gone through a lot of single speeds over the years. This one is where I settled and I have happily ridden it six years and have yet to break it.

I personally feel Taiwanese production bikes are higher quality than many custom frame builders.

This bike rides on the firm side, and the fore aft stiffness of the truss is a real thing. Which is fine by me as I spend a lot of time in technical terrain.

I had the swoopy Jones “spaceframe” for a while and did not care for its flexibility. I have a friend who loves that feeling.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171116/8d297d79be7ece182488e58da4b5ce1f.jpg

I have seriously toyed with the idea of a single speed over the years. This isn't helping.

Doc_Glock
11-16-2017, 01:55 PM
I have seriously toyed with the idea of a single speed over the years. This isn't helping.

They are really a lot of fun. I like to have options in that I ride single speed with no suspension, and full suspension with all the gears, and have done so for years. I like all bikes, but I probably devote 80% of my time to the rigid SS.

Ping me if you want any tips or leads. GJM has my number.

You and I started riding in the day when there were only rigid bikes, so I am sure you know how to handle that part of the equation well. Just get one geared properly and you are on your way.

Some things I like about SS:
-I like to stand to climb. My ass never hurts at the end of a long day like it does on a sit and spin suspension bike.
-It is only the air in the tires, me, and one gear versus the world.
-It generally feels more athletic and favors a grinder versus a spinner.
-Plenty of opportunity to get off, push, and enjoy the surroundings.
-They are fine for older guys, just gear them smaller.
-Almost nothing to maintain. I oil the chain when it gets noisy or I remember and add air to tires.
-I feel like a kid.

This is the Glock 19 and entry level drug of single speeds.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey_ss/bike_info

Dagga Boy
11-16-2017, 05:33 PM
They are really a lot of fun. I like to have options in that I ride single speed with no suspension, and full suspension with all the gears, and have done so for years. I like all bikes, but I probably devote 80% of my time to the rigid SS.

Ping me if you want any tips or leads. GJM has my number.

You and I started riding in the day when there were only rigid bikes, so I am sure you know how to handle that part of the equation well. Just get one geared properly and you are on your way.

Some things I like about SS:
-I like to stand to climb. My ass never hurts at the end of a long day like it does on a sit and spin suspension bike.
-It is only the air in the tires, me, and one gear versus the world.
-It generally feels more athletic and favors a grinder versus a spinner.
-Plenty of opportunity to get off, push, and enjoy the surroundings.
-They are fine for older guys, just gear them smaller.
-Almost nothing to maintain. I oil the chain when it gets noisy or I remember and add air to tires.
-I feel like a kid.

This is the Glock 19 and entry level drug of single speeds.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey_ss/bike_info

With my back and foot injuries, I will likely never see dirt again on a bike. Spending four years riding forty hours a week as a ghetto bicycle cop, and mostly at night.....the urban riding is what my future will hold with bikes. That is where the single speed sort of appeals to me. I have big legs and calves now after all the injuries. I had monster oak tree legs and calves. I was never a spinner and liked turning big gears. When we did our classes training bike cops, it was always funny. We had some tremendous athletes on our bike team, so the students were told that the fat guy would pace he graduation ride. It was a total psych when they realized we were going to run the perimeter of the city and turning the big chain ring up front the entire time.....laid some serious pain and flunked out the folks that didn't realize they actually had to be able to really ride the bike to be in a bicycle unit.
I have always wanted a single speed fixed gear bike for my bike messenger delusions of a dream job. Yet.....the logical side says brakes and at least the ability to coast. The single speed Mt. Bike is the logical extension of that.

Coyotesfan97
11-16-2017, 05:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171116/5c3bc922b5a488054725cf5f01597cc2.jpg

Doc_Glock
11-16-2017, 06:15 PM
With my back and foot injuries, I will likely never see dirt again on a bike.

Never say never. My best bud just came through half a decade of plantar issues and cervical nerve compression. He got on a consistent work out and rehab program the past year and is riding a bike on dirt again. Something he though he had said goodbye to.

Doc_Glock
11-16-2017, 06:16 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171116/5c3bc922b5a488054725cf5f01597cc2.jpg

I love the paint jobs on those.

JodyH
11-16-2017, 07:57 PM
My boy's green Ghost and my wife's blue Ghost.
Decent starter bikes for both of them.

Coyotesfan97
11-16-2017, 08:00 PM

cornstalker
11-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Who’s got them, where do you ride them?

Broke my last mid level (from 95), and am pinching pennies for a Trek Fuel Ex 8 - need some inspiration while I’m without a MTB.

I like your choice of bikes. I went in to buy a Trek Remedy, but they didn't have one. I went ahead and test rode the Fuel EX8+ and loved it. Rode the piss out of it this summer and love it even more now. My opinions of it. The only issue I have had is with the 1x11 drivetrain. The high isn't high enough, low is just a smidge too tall. I also miss the ability to quickly dump a chainring when you haul ass around a blind corner to find a steep technical climb. The plus side of the 1x11 is that I have never had to stop and put my chain back on in the rough stuff. Coming from 26" tires, I am very impressed with the traction and rollover ability of the 27.5" plus tires. Definitely not as nimble, but doesn't need to be.

The suspension is awesome. The CTD feature seems to work like it is supposed to. The dropper post is great, although the lever for it seems frail and I don't expect it to live through another season. The brakes are acceptable, but not as good as the Avid Juicy 7's I had on my old bike. Then again, they are trying to stop a larger and heavier wheel/tire assembly.

Hope you get yours soon!

M2CattleCo
11-16-2017, 09:51 PM
I ride this Trek around town quite a bit. It's a better bike than I really need, but I traded a 308 bolt gun I never shot for it.

Some kind of Trek, has been modified a little. It has a different sprocket and is now a 10 speed, has Renthal carbon fiber handlebars, I don't know what else. Rides nice, I have a good time on it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-wPnDHxp/0/30cb94e2/L/IMG_2122-L.jpg

taadski
11-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Lot of Fruita and Moab trips and a bunch of local high country riding here.

About a year and a half ago, I bit the bullet and bought a new bike. It was replacing a Santa Cruz Blur Classic I’d been on for a bunch of years. I settled on an Ibis Ripley LS as a new scoot. It's a mid-travel 29er and falls into the “trail bike” genre by today’s standards. I’ve been totally tickled with its versatility. It’s only 130mm/120mm but descending, even on bigger hit type stuff, it rides like a bike with another two inches of travel. And at the same time, it’s super nimble and flicky for a 29er; kinda like an adult sized BMX bike. On the other side of the coin, it’s one of the best technical climbing bikes I’ve ever owned and I consistently find myself cleaning difficult sections with way less effort/focus than in the past. As a “quiver-of-one”, do-everything trail bike, especially for a taller/larger rider, the new breed of 29ers are pretty impressive.

I’ve not ridden on Scram’s new drivetrain, although I’ve heard good reports. I’m riding an XT 1x11 currently and like it. I was an early adopter of the 1x concept and I have to say, I’m still pretty sold on it.

The bike…

https://i.imgur.com/HD0yBlS.jpg

A few September wildflowers and some single track at 12,000’.

https://i.imgur.com/UetmwKl.jpg

And a little pump track fun coming back into town at the end of a cross country ride…

https://i.imgur.com/9dVe4s2.jpg

MD7305
11-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Taadski, that Ridley is schweet!!! My next bike is gonna be a 29er with "trail bike" travel. I'm a hopeless Yeti Cycles fanboy so I'm aiming for a SB4.5 or SB5.5.

I put a SRAM GX/XO Eagle 12spd group on my bike and I really like it but Ive gotta admit I don't use that 50t cog as much as I anticipated but it's nice having it at times.

mtnbkr
11-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Sorry, I wasn't implying YOU were a hipster, just that the folks in this area who were Jones fans until the Taiwanese bikes appeared were the bike hipsters. They moved from one boutique builder to another always abandoning the flavor of the month when too many others followed suit (or when their fav flavor "sold out" a la Jones). Lots of disposable income in NoVA...

Personally, I love singlespeeds for all the reasons you list in your later post. I rode a Surly 1X1, first with 26" wheels, and later as a 650b conversion until my fitness waned (got lazy) and I decided to build the bike I posted earlier in the thread. I've since regained that fitness and more, but haven't yet convinced myself the current bike is lacking and needs to be replaced with a new singlespeed. As much as I like the current frame, I'd probably just find an appropriate magic gear and go that route.

BTW, when my 1x1 was rocking 26" wheels, I had a flipflop hub with a fixed gear cog on the other side. Fixed gear offroad was more fun than you'd think. Log crossings were a challenge, but I liked the control I got by being directly connected to the rear wheel.

Chris

peterb
11-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Black Friday deals for cyclists:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/11/22/black-friday-cycling-deals-on-bikes-gear-for-2017/

hurley842002
11-23-2017, 02:22 PM
After my 04 Kona Cinder cone was stolen, I picked up this Kona blast used, the previous owner upgraded the fork to a nicer than factory unit, and I swapped out the factory brakes to Shimano SLX. It sees more pavement time with the kids than trails, but I'd like to change that. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171123/17391171cbb5ccc719d8b1346ac34677.jpg

SafetyFirst
11-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Done with carbon fiber frames.
I use to ride a Santa Cruz.
Then this happened 3 days after the 5 year warranty was up.
SC said they would give me a discount for a new frame, but they don’t make 26” tire size frames any more.
Now they have lifetime warranty on frames, although a little to late for me.

Waiting for my new cross bike now.2190521906

hiro
11-24-2017, 11:54 PM

What happened?

hiro
11-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Lot of Fruita and Moab trips and a bunch of local high country riding here.

About a year and a half ago, I bit the bullet and bought a new bike. It was replacing a Santa Cruz Blur Classic I’d been on for a bunch of years. I settled on an Ibis Ripley LS as a new scoot. It's a mid-travel 29er and falls into the “trail bike” genre by today’s standards. I’ve been totally tickled with its versatility. It’s only 130mm/120mm but descending, even on bigger hit type stuff, it rides like a bike with another two inches of travel. And at the same time, it’s super nimble and flicky for a 29er; kinda like an adult sized BMX bike. On the other side of the coin, it’s one of the best technical climbing bikes I’ve ever owned and I consistently find myself cleaning difficult sections with way less effort/focus than in the past. As a “quiver-of-one”, do-everything trail bike, especially for a taller/larger rider, the new breed of 29ers are pretty impressive.

:)

The 3rd gen Ripley is next on my list to take out (I am spoilt, can take the demo bikes out from a local shop at no charge).

Had fun with this a couple of weeks back :)

jeep45238
11-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Geez....makes me glad I’m looking at aluminum instead of carbon!

jeep45238
11-26-2017, 06:38 PM
So who carries some sort of locator beacon/communication system outside of a cell phone when they're mountain biking (or hiking)? What are your preferences to look for in equipment, and what has an upfront cost vs. something that has monthly payments?

JodyH
11-26-2017, 07:00 PM
So who carries some sort of locator beacon/communication system outside of a cell phone when they're mountain biking (or hiking)? What are your preferences to look for in equipment, and what has an upfront cost vs. something that has monthly payments?
I carry a Inmarsat 2 (https://www.amazon.com/BlueCosmo-Inmarsat-IsatPhone-Satellite-Included/dp/B01AKR983M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511740705&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inmarsat+2&psc=1) satellite phone and use Blue Cosmo pre-paid (https://www.amazon.com/BlueCosmo-Inmarsat-IsatPhone-Prepaid-Satellite/dp/B00HVLEY6M/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1511740705&sr=8-13&keywords=inmarsat%2B2&th=1) plan.
Up front is about $600 for the phone and it costs about $500 a year for more minutes than I've ever used.

Much more reliable and useful than just a SPOT.

mtnbkr
11-26-2017, 09:27 PM

I don't. When I ride solo, it is normally in local regional parks where the trails are loops and well traveled. When I ride the "wilderness", I don't do so alone.

Chris

jeep45238
11-27-2017, 07:29 AM
That’s the ideal, but I won’t know most of the trails next summer (out of state road trip), nor the frequency of rides. With how sketchy cell reception can be in areas, having a backup seems to be prudent, and for my situation smarter to have than not.

I’m not sure if a 600+ buck satphone will be an option either, so I’ll have to do some research on that.

SafetyFirst
12-06-2017, 07:10 PM
What happened?

Not quite sure. I have a few speculations.
1. Damage might have happened to the bike at the down hill bike park in big bear. The accident where I snapped my right ACL and other knee damage. That was 4 years ago. 2. I didn’t service the bolts connecting the rear triangle and one of those snapped and broke the carbon frame at that the same time. 3. Shit happens. Or 4. All the above.

Either way, at least Santa Cruz would help me out with a discount for a new bike from them. But I am going in a different direction and getting a cross bike in a couple of weeks. My favorite LBS should be receiving it and putting everything together next week, then shipping it to me!

JodyH
12-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Not quite sure. I have a few speculations.
1. Damage might have happened to the bike at the down hill bike park in big bear. The accident where I snapped my right ACL and other knee damage. That was 4 years ago. 2. I didn’t service the bolts connecting the rear triangle and one of those snapped and broke the carbon frame at that the same time. 3. Shit happens. Or 4. All the above.

Either way, at least Santa Cruz would help me out with a discount for a new bike from them. But I am going in a different direction and getting a cross bike in a couple of weeks. My favorite LBS should be receiving it and putting everything together next week, then shipping it to me!

CF is not a good material for a beater bike IMO, great for racers though.
Even a fairly light crash can cause an internal fracture that manifests itself as a catastrophic failure at some random time in the future.
I've seen it too many times to ever trust CF as a hard use mountainbike component material.

taadski
04-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Ibis just dropped the release of their new long travel (160/145) 29er, the Ripmo, last week. If it rides like all the pre-release reviews tout, I'm going to have a serious case of the wantsies and may have a Ripley LS for sale. :eek:

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo/

Kendall-Weed getting it on the new bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RQbwJnI38c

jeep45238
04-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Wow... meanwhile I’m working out between a 100/100 or a 120/130 bike.

jeep45238
05-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Finally got the scratch and ordered a Trek Too Fuel 8. Its a 100/100 travel bike, which for where I live is just fine and dandy, without giving up much speed to a hard tail on climbs.

Just waiting for it to ship. First real mountain bike, first full squish, first air shock, first tubeless, etc etc.

I’ll order a dropper post in a few weeks/months, and might do a 1x conversion on it later this year.
Then time to sell it and buy the next one

cornstalker
05-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Ibis just dropped the release of their new long travel (160/145) 29er, the Ripmo, last week. If it rides like all the pre-release reviews tout, I'm going to have a serious case of the wantsies and may have a Ripley LS for sale. :eek:

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo/

Kendall-Weed getting it on the new bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RQbwJnI38c

Awesome footage. I can barely manual on flat ground, that dude can do it all day long over death defying features. Lol.

The uphill teeter-totter scene was unique. Mad skills.

cornstalker
05-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Finally got the scratch and ordered a Trek Too Fuel 8. Its a 100/100 travel bike, which for where I live is just fine and dandy, without giving up much speed to a hard tail on climbs.

Just waiting for it to ship. First real mountain bike, first full squish, first air shock, first tubeless, etc etc.

I’ll order a dropper post in a few weeks/months, and might do a 1x conversion on it later this year.
Then time to sell it and buy the next one

And you will post up some pix once it comes home? The dropper post is a must have in my book. Especially if you ride technical trails. Are you going to do 1x11 or 1x12?

jeep45238
05-06-2018, 10:20 AM
And you will post up some pix once it comes home? The dropper post is a must have in my book. Especially if you ride technical trails. Are you going to do 1x11 or 1x12?

Sure thing. Just got a shipping notification, but no tracking number yet. It’ll be hard since I have finals coming up, and this will either be begging to get built or ridden.

I’m going to ride it as is for a bit before I start throwing parts at it, but the plan right now is to ditch the front mech and route the dropper cable internally through the same routing.

I’ll be doing 1x11, since that’s what it comes with. I’ll try the SRAM 12 speed when it’s been out for a few more years.

But truth be told I might not even do the 1x or dropper depending on how it is out of the box.

I am drooling on those ebikes though, just hesitant about the weight of them (50lb or so)

taadski
05-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Awesome footage....Mad skills.

Yeah, he’s sick. So smooth. So much fun to watch. He just released a new video. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

I’ve really grown to prefer a 1X drive train also. I can’t see myself going back to a front derailleur. I appreciate the simplicity too much. And +1 on the droppers. I made fun of buddies with them for years but finally fell victim on my last bike and it seems I have become a bit dependent. :P

In fact, I just recently bought one for my new trail fatty experiment too...

http://i.imgur.com/XejAFnX.jpg

cornstalker
05-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Yeah, he’s sick. So smooth. So much fun to watch. He just released a new video. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

I’ve really grown to prefer a 1X drive train also. I can’t see myself going back to a front derailleur. I appreciate the simplicity too much. And +1 on the droppers. I made fun of buddies with them for years but finally fell victim on my last bike and it seems I have become a bit dependent. :P

In fact, I just recently bought one for my new trail fatty experiment too...

http://i.imgur.com/XejAFnX.jpg

Awesome bike. Have never ridden a fat bike, but I dream of one every time I hit the sand and decomposed granite though. The 27.5+ I am riding now is better than the old 26x2.35 I used to ride, but I bet the full fattie just eats that stuff up. What major differences do you notice between it and a mid-travel full suspension bike? How does it behave on technical climbs?

jeep45238
05-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Awesome bike. Have never ridden a fat bike, but I dream of one every time I hit the sand and decomposed granite though. The 27.5+ I am riding now is better than the old 26x2.35 I used to ride, but I bet the full fattie just eats that stuff up. What major differences do you notice between it and a mid-travel full suspension bike? How does it behave on technical climbs?

For that stuff I’m really interested in the Full Stach, but it’s also so new the concept hasn’t really been pushed to find weak spots or where it excelled in my limited opinion.

Disclaimer-shop I’m employed at is a Trek dealer.

taadski
05-06-2018, 01:47 PM
What major differences do you notice between it and a mid-travel full suspension bike? How does it behave on technical climbs?

IME they ride a whole lot more similarly to traditional hardtails than they do a suspension bike, despite the tire size. There’s a good bit more squish (I’m dirt trail riding on only 5-7 psi at 175 lbs), gobbs of accessory traction and 5” of width to fit through obstacles, etc... But you still get your rear end bounced around with rocks/roots like a normal hardtail if you botch the line, instead of the bike assisting by staying glued and digging like with modern dual suspension. I climb techy stuff much more effectively on the Ripley over really broken terrain, for example, than I do on the fatty.

I’ve been having a blast with it though. And as noted, on loose, unconsolidated and less travelled stuff, they do great. Another cool thing is the frame is both 27+ and 29+ compatible for dry season romping. I actually, just this week, built a 29 x 3” wheel set for it to try. I haven’t ridden it in that configuration yet though. It’ll be my first stab at that tire size. I’m excited! 😁

Somewhatstock
05-06-2018, 04:33 PM
I have and love my 2014 specialized stunpjumper comp evo.

I had an issue with the rear hub but specialized replaced the wheel. I used to ride the long island trails but I bought my house and had a kid last year. It's very difficult for me to get out and ride.

Doc_Glock
05-06-2018, 04:39 PM

I had a fatty a couple years ago for about a week. I hated it.

They are superb at loose surfaces, so if off trail, sand and snow is your thing go for it. I found it impossible to find a sweet spot where the pressures were low enough to provide some cush and damping while being high enough to provide pinch protection.

Technology has come a long way since then but I just can’t see needing a tire over 3.0 for trail use ever.

The Trek Full Stache does have my attention. I would run it with 29x2.5-3.0 tires.

cornstalker
05-06-2018, 05:21 PM
For that stuff I’m really interested in the Full Stache

That looks like a bike I would love to have. Looks awesome. By the specs and geometry it should be a very capable all around bike, short of freeride or extreme downhill. Hope it shakes out okay.

jeep45238
05-07-2018, 04:14 AM
That looks like a bike I would love to have. Looks awesome. By the specs and geometry it should be a very capable all around bike, short of freeride or extreme downhill. Hope it shakes out okay.

My concern on it might be nothing, but in the video on it they claim the suspension isn't as responsive as a Fuel Ex (130/140mm bike), as they are allowing the mid-fat tires to do the small-compliance part. That might work out wonderfully, but it seems a bit lazy to me given the work they did on the chainstays to keep a good chainline and shorten the wheelbase. I'm kinda looking at it like a Fuel EX 8 27.5+ bike that's been morphed to a 29+, and lost the benefits of the Penske racing rear shock (both bikes do have this shock).

I'm hoping that with Trek making use of the Eagle 12x drivetrain, more riders will pick it and find problems, and SRAM will fix it. My bike choice was almost a Fuel EX with 1x12 SRAM, but decided to go with a 2x11 Shimano drivetrain for long-term durability. I have less inclinations of problems with the higher end 1x12's, but past entry level SRAM rear mechs have used plastic for a cage, and even later models aren't known for having the durability/lack of maintenence as a Shimano rear mech. I really hope I'm wrong, becuase that 1x12 is damn tempting.

I'm also no engineer, and I haven't been able to ride trails in several years, so my opinion (besides being minimally educated, and having never laid hands on a Full Stache) might be completely wrong and looking at something that doesn't matter.

taadski
05-07-2018, 09:15 AM
I've also been paying attention to the Full Stache's release. There are a few folks putting their impressions out there. [The] Mike Curiak had the following to say in his review:

"The Trek’s (Full Stache) rear suspension feels incredible. Might be the best overall stock setup (not just with 29+, but across the spectrum of bikes I've ridden, ever) I've ridden when factoring in the big picture of top end suppleness, mid-stroke support, and end stroke ramp. Cannot be overstated how good it is. I think that's the benefit of a big-box player coming to the table -- they buy such volume that they can ask for, and receive, custom valving mapped to the particulars of the chassis."

jeep45238
05-13-2018, 10:03 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180513/339431bee201f8442f174f38833eb64b.jpg

The frame isn’t really setup for a dropper, and I’m not going to drill a hole to add one. I’m content with the 2x for now, didn’t really use the big cog except for the access path. Brakes great in turns downhill, the tires didn’t loose contact while doing it.

These wide ass handlebars...not the biggest fan. Barely cleared the path a few times, and it just doesn’t feel natural with how far out my hands are. Debating between cutting the tubes or getting a shorter carbon bar. I could use a shorter stem too.

I set it up tubeless, and I like it - just need to play with the pressures a bit, but treks suspension calculator got it set up as a really good baseline for the shocks. Running 25psi front/rear on 2x2.2 tires, and can tell on the harder hits when the tire absorbs THEN the shocks absorb (tires make a noise that makes me laugh).

All in all I like it. I’ll still be selling it in a year to get the latest tech, and possibly sell a few in the fleet to go towards an ebike for road uses. I find I can be fat and happy and drink beer on a mountain bike, but not on a road bike if I’m doing any sort of speed (6’ 190lbs). I did borrow a Trek Supercommuter 8 overnight and test a Trek Crossrip+ (both assist to 28mph) - those things brought a huge smile to my face for my uses.

cornstalker
05-13-2018, 10:22 AM
The frame isn’t really setup for a dropper, and I’m not going to drill a hole to add one. I’m content with the 2x for now, didn’t really use the big cog except for the access path. Brakes great in turns downhill, the tires didn’t loose contact while doing it.

These wide ass handlebars...not the biggest fan. Barely cleared the path a few times, and it just doesn’t feel natural with how far out my hands are. Debating between cutting the tubes or getting a shorter carbon bar. I could use a shorter stem too.

I set it up tubeless, and I like it - just need to play with the pressures a bit, but treks suspension calculator got it set up as a really good baseline for the shocks. Running 25psi front/rear on 2x2.2 tires, and can tell on the harder hits when the tire absorbs THEN the shocks absorb (tires make a noise that makes me laugh).

All in all I like it. I’ll still be selling it in a year to get the latest tech, and possibly sell a few in the fleet to go towards an ebike for road uses. I find I can be fat and happy and drink beer on a mountain bike, but not on a road bike if I’m doing any sort of speed (6’ 190lbs). I did borrow a Trek Supercommuter 8 overnight and test a Trek Crossrip+ (both assist to 28mph) - those things brought a huge smile to my face for my uses.

Looks awesome. I bet it climbs like a goat.

You could still get a Joplin type dropper with external cable routing and not have to modify anything. It's a godsend if technical downhill is involved.

For the first month I had my Fuel I thought about chopping the wide ass bars down. Now I don't even notice it. Had some pretty tight squeezes, but haven't run in to anything they wouldn't fit through yet on the trails I ride.

Does the Top Fuel have the Mino link? I have never had a desire to adjust mine and wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. Just curious.

Have fun on that bike.

cornstalker
05-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Swapped out my Bontrager Chupacabra tires for some Schwalbe Nobby Nics. The Chupas weren't worn out and really never gave me a problem other than floating a bit more than I care for on sand. A squirmy type of float.

Setup tubeless. The front tire was tough to seat the beads on. I ended up using a ratchet strap to put pressure all the way around while I hit it with the compressor.

If it doesn't rain too much I will be testing them out tomorrow at dawn.

Also replace the rear brakes yesterday.

jeep45238
05-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Looks awesome. I bet it climbs like a goat.

You could still get a Joplin type dropper with external cable routing and not have to modify anything. It's a godsend if technical downhill is involved.

For the first month I had my Fuel I thought about chopping the wide ass bars down. Now I don't even notice it. Had some pretty tight squeezes, but haven't run in to anything they wouldn't fit through yet on the trails I ride.

Does the Top Fuel have the Mino link? I have never had a desire to adjust mine and wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. Just curious.

Have fun on that bike.

I thought about the Joplin style, but it’s above the point of diminishing returns price wise for me (the Trek shop employee thing gives enough of a discount that it’s nearly like being a sponsored rider - including parts). If the in-frame cable routing could have worked I would have done that, but no worries - I just ride with the seat a bit low happy as a clam.

It climbs great, and is capable of so much more than my abilities. With the wide handlebars, I guess it’s like most things - the more you use it the more you get used to it. I do need a shorter stem to bring the bars closer, I’m getting some serious pressure on my palms from the aggressive riding position (part of that is the Top Fuel vs Fuel Ex I guess). Debating about adding a carbon handlebar stem while I’m in there to add a bit more dampening.

The TopFuel does have the Mino link, I left it on the slacker side of things. I could see adjusting it if I was racing for a bit nimbler handling, but not for general riding. I wouldn’t ever bother with it on a Fuel Ex.

ETA - Biggest change was the shoes . I'm running Bontrager flatlines, which have a grid pattern for the sole. With peg style pedals I can have my feet 80* past horizontal without slipping off - without these shoes it's closer to 50-60*.

Doc_Glock
05-13-2018, 11:51 AM
I've also been paying attention to the Full Stache's release. There are a few folks putting their impressions out there. [The] Mike Curiak had the following to say in his review:

"The Trek’s (Full Stache) rear suspension feels incredible. Might be the best overall stock setup (not just with 29+, but across the spectrum of bikes I've ridden, ever) I've ridden when factoring in the big picture of top end suppleness, mid-stroke support, and end stroke ramp. Cannot be overstated how good it is. I think that's the benefit of a big-box player coming to the table -- they buy such volume that they can ask for, and receive, custom valving mapped to the particulars of the chassis."

He also commented on the flex in the system which makes it a complete no go for me.

taadski
05-13-2018, 12:58 PM
He also commented on the flex in the system which makes it a complete no go for me.

Truth. He also said "I don't take myself so seriously that I think this matters in the overall, I just find it unsettling when it happens." ;) I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to ride one some.

I've been dabbling quite a bit of late with a set of 29+ wheels on a hardtail of mine and I'm super impressed. I think they may very well at some point become my go to tire/wheel size for general trail bike duties. And I'm REALLY interested in trying them on a FS platform.

cornstalker
05-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Having several rides on the Nobby Nics now, I really like them. One thing that took some getting used to was the traction loss when transitioning from center tread blocks to the shoulder lugs. By looking at the tire it doesn't look like it should happen, but if you gradually lean into a corner there is a slip-grab sensation in transition. I have found that if you aggressively throw the bike into the shoulder lugs and add a little pump, they respond reliably and predictably. Jut gotta ride the shit out of 'em.

I put new Shimano factory pads on the rear. They were great for the first couple of rides, now they sound like a spoon in the garbage disposal. Any ideas how to fix that?
I don't see any alignment issues and there is no scoring on the rotors.

ETA: The caliper is centered. No visible rotor flex with application.

mtnbkr
05-25-2018, 05:53 AM
I put new Shimano factory pads on the rear. They were great for the first couple of rides, now they sound like a spoon in the garbage disposal. Any ideas how to fix that?

Did you clean your rotors? When I change pads (and periodically in the life of the pads) I wipe down the rotors with denatured alcohol.

Also, being new pads, you may need to bed them in. I do that by getting the bike up to speed and braking hard a few times in a row.

Since you've already "used" the pads on presumably unclean rotors (not dirty mind you, just not "clean"), I'd remove the pads, give them a cleaning with alcohol (whether or not *you* need "cleaning" with alcohol at the same time is up to you), clean the rotors, reassemble, then bed the pads as described above and see if it resolves the issue.

Chris

cornstalker
05-25-2018, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the reply, Chris.
I did indeed clean the rotor with 90% rubbing alcohol. Wet a rag and wiped them down until the black stuff quit coming off. I will try seating them in more. With the rides I have been on I would expect them to be seated. Maybe I will take them apart and clean them up again.

I might try scuffing the friction surface with some sandpaper and chamfer the edges, then break them in again.

mtnbkr
05-25-2018, 06:38 AM
I did indeed clean the rotor with 90% rubbing alcohol. Wet a rag and wiped them down until the black stuff quit coming off. I will try seating them in more. With the rides I have been on I would expect them to be seated. Maybe I will take them apart and clean them up again.

I might try scuffing the friction surface with some sandpaper and chamfer the edges, then break them in again.

I would have expected that to be sufficient then. Are the pads the same type of friction material? Semi-metallic pads are noisier than organic pads.

Chris

cornstalker
05-25-2018, 06:56 AM
I would have expected that to be sufficient then. Are the pads the same type of friction material? Semi-metallic pads are noisier than organic pads.

Chris

It doesn't say on the package. I presume they are organic or maybe even ceramic based on this quote from the product page on Chain Reaction Cycles.

Shimano has adopted Ice-Technologies into their disc brake pad range to provide the cooling technology required for consistent performance. These Shimano Acera-Altus (B01S) Disc Brake Pads produce less noise than metal pads and offer increased modulation.

I should tear them back down. I guess it is possible that I picked up some grit in there and am over complicating this like I have a tendency to do.

mtnbkr
05-25-2018, 06:59 AM
It doesn't say on the package. I presume they are organic or maybe even ceramic based on this quote from the product page on Chain Reaction Cycles.

I should tear them back down. I guess it is possible that I picked up some grit in there and am over complicating this like I have a tendency to do.

Per this page (https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/technologies/component/details/ice-technologies), Ice Technology can be resin or metallic.

It can be tricky getting metallic pads quiet, especially if you're coming from resin pads.

Chris

cornstalker
05-25-2018, 07:07 AM
They are resin for sure. It is stamped in the back of the pad. Coming from an automotive background, I am not used to seeing the term resin to describe a friction material compound.

Again, thanks for the help. I never stop learning around here.

jeep45238
05-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Having several rides on the Nobby Nics now, I really like them. One thing that took some getting used to was the traction loss when transitioning from center tread blocks to the shoulder lugs. By looking at the tire it doesn't look like it should happen, but if you gradually lean into a corner there is a slip-grab sensation in transition. I have found that if you aggressively throw the bike into the shoulder lugs and add a little pump, they respond reliably and predictably. Jut gotta ride the shit out of 'em.

ETA: The caliper is centered. No visible rotor flex with application.

Do you have access to a wheel truing stand? If so, mount the wheel, then drill a hole in one side of the arms for the stand, then thread it and put a bolt in there that is long enough to reach in and touch the rotor.

Once you do this modification, you essentially can true wheels AND rotors. It’s not uncommon for us to get bikes brand new in the box with over-torqued bottom brackets, headsets, and bent rotors. Never hurts to double check the straightness. We have much better luck with longevity of Shimano disk components than SRAM - Hope and the like, well, we don’t recommend them for serious riders.

Is there any coloration to the rotors? The most common rotors are stamped sheet metal, and once they’re overheated they’re done for. If that’s the case, you can get some of the Shimano ICE rotors - they have aluminum for the core, and the best ones have a heat sink attached to the core that can get temps 150* below standard rotors. The forged aluminum spiders help with torsional stiffness too.

Nearly every rotor should be able to run with resin pads quietly. I know rubbing alcohol is the way to go per instructions, but the car guy in me grabs brake cleaner every time.

There is a chance that your caliper might be just a smidge offcenter - an easy way to check for this is to loosen the caliper bolts just enough for some movement, then apply the brake as hard as possible, and tighten the bolts while pressure is applied. This forces the caliper body and pads to be centered over the disk. We made a jig at the shop that we put over the rotor to ensure the pads hover a bit further away from the disk to reduced the chance of rubbing while riding, but you can replicate this with a business card on each side of the rotor, then clamping the brake lever down and tightening. Just make sure to open the pads up all the way before you begin if you try this with a tire lever so they start at the same distance from the rotor face, then insert the spacer, then loosen, then apply pressure (may take multiple pumps). Same concept.

It sounds like you ride hard. My suspicion is they have been overheated a smidge and lost some of the heat treatment, OR you have a caliper pot that isn’t fully retracting (happens a lot with the Deore calipers). I’d pull the wheel and work the pads back and forth with a tire lever and the brake lever, and be very observant if one is dragging slightly and not retracting with the same speed or distance as the other one. While the wheel is off I’d look very close at the rotors for discoloration. For reference - this is what a discolored rotor starts to look like (look at the tint at the rotorface vs the center http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/rotor-discoloration-474549.html ). It will then go from that blue to a yellow then brown then purple with increasing amounts of excess heat.

Just remember that if you want more power, go to a bigger diameter. If you hit overheating, get aluminum-cored rotors. If this is better but not quite there, combine with ICE pads. If you still get overheating, go bigger and combine with the aluminum-cored components. The larger diameter will cool faster and offers more mass to distribute the heat evenly.

mtnbkr
05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
<rotor truing>

Good point, I wasn't even thinking about the rotor touching the pads.

Chris

cornstalker
05-26-2018, 11:07 PM
Do you have access to a wheel truing stand? If so, mount the wheel, then drill a hole in one side of the arms for the stand, then thread it and put a bolt in there that is long enough to reach in and touch the rotor.

Once you do this modification, you essentially can true wheels AND rotors. It’s not uncommon for us to get bikes brand new in the box with over-torqued bottom brackets, headsets, and bent rotors. Never hurts to double check the straightness. We have much better luck with longevity of Shimano disk components than SRAM - Hope and the like, well, we don’t recommend them for serious riders.

Is there any coloration to the rotors? The most common rotors are stamped sheet metal, and once they’re overheated they’re done for. If that’s the case, you can get some of the Shimano ICE rotors - they have aluminum for the core, and the best ones have a heat sink attached to the core that can get temps 150* below standard rotors. The forged aluminum spiders help with torsional stiffness too.

Nearly every rotor should be able to run with resin pads quietly. I know rubbing alcohol is the way to go per instructions, but the car guy in me grabs brake cleaner every time.

There is a chance that your caliper might be just a smidge offcenter - an easy way to check for this is to loosen the caliper bolts just enough for some movement, then apply the brake as hard as possible, and tighten the bolts while pressure is applied. This forces the caliper body and pads to be centered over the disk. We made a jig at the shop that we put over the rotor to ensure the pads hover a bit further away from the disk to reduced the chance of rubbing while riding, but you can replicate this with a business card on each side of the rotor, then clamping the brake lever down and tightening. Just make sure to open the pads up all the way before you begin if you try this with a tire lever so they start at the same distance from the rotor face, then insert the spacer, then loosen, then apply pressure (may take multiple pumps). Same concept.

It sounds like you ride hard. My suspicion is they have been overheated a smidge and lost some of the heat treatment, OR you have a caliper pot that isn’t fully retracting (happens a lot with the Deore calipers). I’d pull the wheel and work the pads back and forth with a tire lever and the brake lever, and be very observant if one is dragging slightly and not retracting with the same speed or distance as the other one. While the wheel is off I’d look very close at the rotors for discoloration. For reference - this is what a discolored rotor starts to look like (look at the tint at the rotorface vs the center http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/rotor-discoloration-474549.html ). It will then go from that blue to a yellow then brown then purple with increasing amounts of excess heat.

Just remember that if you want more power, go to a bigger diameter. If you hit overheating, get aluminum-cored rotors. If this is better but not quite there, combine with ICE pads. If you still get overheating, go bigger and combine with the aluminum-cored components. The larger diameter will cool faster and offers more mass to distribute the heat evenly.

Thanks for the input. I will throw a dial indicator on the rotor as soon as I can. Will also check for uneven pad application side to side. The caliper is definitely centered and has equal pad gap on both sides.

Today was washer and dryer mechanic. Maybe I will get to the bike tomorrow.

mtnbkr
05-27-2018, 06:02 AM
Today was washer and dryer mechanic. Maybe I will get to the bike tomorrow.

Your priorities are skewed. :p

Chris

nightstalker865
05-27-2018, 07:29 AM
I’ve been looking at the Trek Fuel EX 8 lately.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180527/71614858c56def5d4c70df600e842068.jpg

ChaseN
05-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Holy shit, gun guys that like mountain bikes? I'm in heaven. I ride a 2016 Giant Trance 2 27.5. Tear up the northern Virginia single track (my backyard borders 50+ miles of it) with my partner in crime, a 4 year old black lab named Penny. She follows me for hours at a time.

On the topic of guns and mountain bikes, does anyone else carry while they ride? I pack a G19 AIWB on all my rides, but I'm looking to transition to a DA/SA gun for peace of mind given the aggressive way i ride. Thinking P30 or P07. Any thoughts?

mtnbkr
05-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Holy shit, gun guys that like mountain bikes? I'm in heaven. I ride a 2016 Giant Trance 2 27.5. Tear up the northern Virginia single track (my backyard borders 50+ miles of it) with my partner in crime, a 4 year old black lab named Penny. She follows me for hours at a time.

On the topic of guns and mountain bikes, does anyone else carry while they ride? I pack a G19 AIWB on all my rides, but I'm looking to transition to a DA/SA gun for peace of mind given the aggressive way i ride. Thinking P30 or P07. Any thoughts?

The first pic looks like Difficult Run or the CCC trail.

Chris

jeep45238
05-27-2018, 09:14 PM
I’ve been looking at the Trek Fuel EX 8 lately.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180527/71614858c56def5d4c70df600e842068.jpg

Get the XT version, SRAM disk brakes suck. The Top Fuel 8 is comparable, minus the dropper post, for less money and an inch or so less travel.

ChaseN
05-27-2018, 09:24 PM
The first pic looks like Difficult Run or the CCC trail.

Chris

Excellent eye. #1 is CCT in Lake Fairfax Park. #2 is difficult run approaching browns mill, #3 is colvin run between hunter mill and rt 7. #2 was last Saturday morning after Friday night's monsoon. The water behind me is literally the (usually gravel) last bit of difficult run trail on a ride to meet some buddies at Vienna Inn for lunch and a little W&OD brew tour. Pedaled through water above my bottom bracket for a good 3 miles, passed two snapping turtles swimming along with me, first time leaving wake on a mountain bike!

mtnbkr
05-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Excellent eye. #1 is CCT in Lake Fairfax Park. #2 is difficult run approaching browns mill, #3 is colvin run between hunter mill and rt 7. #2 was last Saturday morning after Friday night's monsoon. The water behind me is literally the (usually gravel) last bit of difficult run trail on a ride to meet some buddies at Vienna Inn for lunch and a little W&OD brew tour. Pedaled through water above my bottom bracket for a good 3 miles, passed two snapping turtles swimming along with me, first time leaving wake on a mountain bike!

Cool. I ride DR fairly often since my office is nearby. Well, I used to. Now that I work from home, I don't get out to the office much.

W&OD brewery tour? Nope, no clue what you're talking about at all. ;)

Here's a pic of me on the DR trail back in the 90s. :D

Chris

nightstalker865
05-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advice on looking for an XT equipped model of the Fuel EX. I raced XC back in the late 90’s-early 2000’s and have always ridden hard tails. I’ve decided to get back into it as a hobby and I’m looking towards a FS bike, this time around. I know the technology is vastly better than what FS bikes were out two decades ago. Looking forward to seeing how the new bikes shake out. 29 or 27.5 is really a big decision for for me right now.

I’ve always ran XT or XTR components, so I’m well aware of their quality. I’ll look at both options, but I’m biased towards the XT stuff going in.

jc000
05-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Did you guys see Shimano XTR 12sp is on it’s way?

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/xtr-9100-is-here-how-did-it-remain-so-secret.html

mtnbkr
05-29-2018, 08:17 AM

Meh. I'm still running 9spd on my mountain bike (and square taper cranks that use nearly indestructible bottom brackets). It works and chains don't break like they seem to do with my 10sp and 11sp friends. Higher gear density makes *some* sense on road bikes where a wide range and small jumps between gears is beneficial, but not so much on mountain bikes IMO. I run a 32t ring with 11-34t cluster and seldom use the 11t cog. The 34t cog is low enough that I have difficulty keeping the front pinned without the rear spinning. I guess I'm just weary of the bicycle arms race.

Chris

jc000
05-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Meh. I'm still running 9spd on my mountain bike (and square taper cranks that use nearly indestructible bottom brackets). It works and chains don't break like they seem to do with my 10sp and 11sp friends. Higher gear density makes *some* sense on road bikes where a wide range and small jumps between gears is beneficial, but not so much on mountain bikes IMO. I run a 32t ring with 11-34t cluster and seldom use the 11t cog. The 34t cog is low enough that I have difficulty keeping the front pinned without the rear spinning. I guess I'm just weary of the bicycle arms race.

Chris

I’m still running 9sp myself – 44/32/22 against an 11-32. That being said, having worked on bikes for many years both as an amateur and as a “pro”, front derailleur suck. I definitely welcome the move towards 1x drivetrains and will plan on all my future builds being set up that way.

I would tend to agree that 11sp seems to be pushing the boundaries of utility / reliability. But as a lifelong Shimano fanboy I’m excited to see what they bring to the table for 12sp. XTR has always performed flawlessly for me and I’m guessing they didn’t hold out this long to put out something substandard.

FWIW they’re also coming out with a new 11sp 10-45 cassette which looks promising

mtnbkr
05-29-2018, 09:43 AM
I’m still running 9sp myself – 44/32/22 against an 11-32. That being said, having worked on bikes for many years both as an amateur and as a “pro”, front derailleur suck. I definitely welcome the move towards 1x drivetrains and will plan on all my future builds being set up that way.

I would tend to agree that 11sp seems to be pushing the boundaries of utility / reliability. But as a lifelong Shimano fanboy I’m excited to see what they bring to the table for 12sp. XTR has always performed flawlessly for me and I’m guessing they didn’t hold out this long to put out something substandard.

FWIW they’re also coming out with a new 11sp 10-45 cassette which looks promising

I don't have any direct experience with XTR being a recreational rider and #poorfag (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=poorfag) , but it has always struck me as being well designed, functional, and not there just as bling.

If I were to go 11spd, I'd like to have something like a 15-40 cassette with a 34t ring up front. That would give me all the range I could desire.

I've been a 1x rider since 2008ish (when I wasn't singlespeeding) and have no intentions of ever installing a front derailleur on a mountain bike ever again. I have an unused front XT Rapidfire shifter in my parts box. :)

Chris

jeep45238
05-29-2018, 02:03 PM

I’m excited about it. It’s nice that they’re introducing a silent hub again, that’ll change the audible experience in a positive direction.

mtnbkr
05-29-2018, 05:49 PM
I’m excited about it. It’s nice that they’re introducing a silent hub again, that’ll change the audible experience in a positive direction.
I take it you're not a Chris King fan then? :D

Chris

jeep45238
05-29-2018, 05:51 PM
I take it you're not a Chris King fan then? :D

Chris

I enjoy them in the shop, but I doubt I would ever ride on them [emoji3]

Lomshek
05-30-2018, 01:11 AM

If you used a rag of some kind (especially red shop rags) you probably cleaned the visible grime off but re-contaminated the rotor with the oils that are on those rags even when they're "clean".

For rotor cleaning I use plain white paper towels (no dyes) and keep using new towels until they look clean after wiping the rotor. If a rotor has been contaminated with oil overspray a lot of times you have to clean the edges and holes with Q-tips to get oils that will otherwise make their way back onto the braking surface in time and ruin the new pads.

It's incredibly easy to contaminate pads by missing a small detail when cleaning the rotor. Apologies if you have this covered but I see it happen often enough when bikes come into my shop that it seemed worth sharing.

cornstalker
05-30-2018, 07:18 AM
If you used a rag of some kind (especially red shop rags) you probably cleaned the visible grime off but re-contaminated the rotor with the oils that are on those rags even when they're "clean".

For rotor cleaning I use plain white paper towels (no dyes) and keep using new towels until they look clean after wiping the rotor. If a rotor has been contaminated with oil overspray a lot of times you have to clean the edges and holes with Q-tips to get oils that will otherwise make their way back onto the braking surface in time and ruin the new pads.

It's incredibly easy to contaminate pads by missing a small detail when cleaning the rotor. Apologies if you have this covered but I see it happen often enough when bikes come into my shop that it seemed worth sharing.

I used an old but clean cotton tee shirt. I did not clean the holes though. Will try that too. I have another set of pads on hand in case I have ruined those.
The sound occurs with hard app, and it sounds like the edge of the pads are catching on the holes in the rotors. (Which is why I have spend a tremendous amount of time checking and rechecking the alignment)
I still haven't tested to see if the pads are being applied and retracted at an even rate. The rotor does not look discolored from heat.
Looks like I wont get back to this until after I get back from a trip over the weekend.
I really appreciate the replies. I will put the tips to use next week.

Lomshek
05-30-2018, 10:34 AM
I used an old but clean cotton tee shirt. I did not clean the holes though. Will try that too. I have another set of pads on hand in case I have ruined those.
The sound occurs with hard app, and it sounds like the edge of the pads are catching on the holes in the rotors. (Which is why I have spend a tremendous amount of time checking and rechecking the alignment)
I still haven't tested to see if the pads are being applied and retracted at an even rate. The rotor does not look discolored from heat.
Looks like I wont get back to this until after I get back from a trip over the weekend.
I really appreciate the replies. I will put the tips to use next week.

If nothing else works just drive to the far side of Kansas and I'll take a look and if I'm stymied head to Ohio so Jeep can see what's up! LOL

You might also try "exercising" the pistons in case one is sticking a little and causing a pad to hit cockeyed. With the pads removed use a plastic tire lever to press both pistons all the way in then hold one piston in with the tire lever while squeezing the brake so that the other piston moves out. Be careful not to go too far but you can pretty safely have the piston 1/8" or a little more proud of the caliper (as if they were having to move way out to compensate for worn out pads). Press that piston back in all the way and repeat a couple more times then switch to the other piston and do the same. That moving in and out further than normal will help to lube the piston seals and make sure they're not catching on a spot in their track which would cause them to pitch sideways a little causing the pad to hit the rotor not flat.

Last thing to look for. Because of a sticky piston I've seen people accidentally set up the caliper so that the caliper mounting adapter or caliper body mounting point drags on the rotor when the rotor flexes over sideways. Make sure that your pistons are set so that the rotor & pads end up centered in the slot in the caliper instead of off to one side of the caliper slot. That should be obvious because of wear on the parts touching the rotor.

You should be able to put a business card or two between any part of the caliper body or bracket and the rotor.

jeep45238
05-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Re: the gap - business cards are a good handy gauge.

However, it’s entirely possible to setup your brakes so there less of a gap. This pretty much guarantees a slight rub when rocking the bike back and forth when you’re off it (I have mine this way). The benefit for lower end brakes is there’s less free play in the lever. You can intentionally do this by removing the wheel, lightly pressing the brake lever, then reinstalling it. Repeat until it’s at your preference.

Those folks with fancy stuff however, sometimes have a screw to adjust the lever distance (most have this) but also the free play in the lever before the pads are applied.

frozentundra
05-30-2018, 08:51 PM
What is the used glock 19 of mountain bikes?

I want to get a bike, but I know almost nothing about them and don't want to spend a ton of time trying to learn about features and applications. I would mostly be riding on relatively flat gravel roads, some of them really washboardy, up one very steep gravel road, and occasionally going on some mild trails with mud or sand.

It'd be great to find something used that is maximum bang for the buck. Doesn't have to be pretty, just well suited for what I'm doing. I don't need anything fancy, but if there are some obvious choices it'd save me hassle and the chance of wasting money.

Thanks

jc000
05-30-2018, 09:11 PM
frozentundra, for the type of riding you’re referring to, I’d just suggest getting a cyclocross bike. You could probably find a used Surly Cross-Check for a reasonable price.

jeep45238
05-30-2018, 09:23 PM

I want to get a bike, but I know almost nothing about them and don't want to spend a ton of time trying to learn about features and applications. I would mostly be riding on relatively flat gravel roads, some of them really washboardy, up one very steep gravel road, and occasionally going on some mild trails with mud or sand.

It'd be great to find something used that is maximum bang for the buck. Doesn't have to be pretty, just well suited for what I'm doing. I don't need anything fancy, but if there are some obvious choices it'd save me hassle and the chance of wasting money.

Thanks

What’s your budget? What your describing sounds like prime time for a hard tail with flat bars. I’d seriously consider a Trek Marlin to start.

Lomshek
05-31-2018, 12:55 AM
Re: the gap - business cards are a good handy gauge.

However, it’s entirely possible to setup your brakes so there less of a gap. This pretty much guarantees a slight rub when rocking the bike back and forth when you’re off it (I have mine this way). The benefit for lower end brakes is there’s less free play in the lever. You can intentionally do this by removing the wheel, lightly pressing the brake lever, then reinstalling it. Repeat until it’s at your preference.

Those folks with fancy stuff however, sometimes have a screw to adjust the lever distance (most have this) but also the free play in the lever before the pads are applied.

I meant just that the caliper body and adapter bracket should not be closer than a business card's width to the rotor. The brake pads, as you know, will be much closer than that on any hydraulic set up.

I see many brakes set up with the pads centered on the rotor but not on the caliper slot because of a stuck piston (one piston far out and one piston full in) with the result being that the aluminum of the caliper drags the rotor slightly. No bueno as they say. It happens with mechanical calipers too but could be the cause of his noise.

jeep45238
05-31-2018, 04:59 AM
I gotcha, no is my reading comprehension wasn’t quite there

peterb
05-31-2018, 07:23 AM

Thanks

There are a lot more choices in the bike world, and fewer proprietary parts. For example, almost all drivetrains & brakes are Shimano or SRAM, suspensions are Rock Shox or Fox, etc. Specialized and Trek are the biggest names but there’s also Giant, Scott, and a host of others.

For what you describe, you don’t need a lot of suspension travel. A short-travel full-suspension bike or a hardtail would work. Longer suspension travel is better as things get lumpier but adds weight and usually hurts climbing.

frozentundra
05-31-2018, 09:44 AM
What’s your budget? What your describing sounds like prime time for a hard tail with flat bars. I’d seriously consider a Trek Marlin to start.

As cheap as I can get away with! I just finished going back to college, which burned a hole through my savings account, so I'm putting myself on a strict budget. I'll need to sell some of the unused stuff that's lounging around in my safe to shake loose some funds.

I don't have any deep passion for bike riding, but I think it can be a useful means to an end. I really like running, but as I get older, and my knees start to worry me more, I'd like to find a lower impact alternative that helps me get my cardio fix.

But I don't know the difference between a walmart bike and something well used--but well made. It seems that some of the major brands make walmart level stuff AND decent mid-level stuff. It all looks the same to me. Like a Del-ton or DPMS vs a Colt 6920. They're all the same thing, right? No, not even close! I'd like the equivalent of a scuffed up 6920 with 3500 rounds through it, VS a DPMS that looks new and costs $50 less. I just need a bike to function properly, and it'd also be nice to maximize my performance:dollar ratio.

I looked for cyclocross, Surly, and Trek, but I'm not having a ton of luck on craigslist in my area. Any other ideas?

frozentundra
05-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Also, I'm 5'8'' and 150-160 lbs. Does this mean anything specific about what frame/tire size I should be looking for. There are so many options, and I have NO idea about any of this stuff.

dontshakepandas
05-31-2018, 10:17 AM
Also, I'm 5'8'' and 150-160 lbs. Does this mean anything specific about what frame/tire size I should be looking for. There are so many options, and I have NO idea about any of this stuff.
Keep in mind the following advice is from a complete noob, but I just went through a similar process.

I'd suggest going to a local bike shop and trying some different bikes/sizes and have someone there who knows that they are doing help you determine what will work best for you. They may also have some used bikes for sale (mine did) or perhaps be able to get you in contact with someone who is looking to sell their current bike to upgrade.

All of the different options can be overwhelming, but I found going to a few different bike shops really helped me figure out what was important to ME. For example, I'm about 6 inches taller than you and about 50 pounds heavier so getting something with a legit air suspension on the front was important to me since I'd probably tear up something with cheaper suspension really quickly. I also found that I wanted a 1x drive train since they are so simple and it had been so long since I was on a bike, and I had never used a bike with gears before.

Once you figure out what you want and what size you need, it will definitely help you figure out what to look for on the used market.

I bought a Marin hardtail a few months ago and have been getting used to being on a bike again. It had been probably 15 years since I had been on a bike at all, but now I'm starting to get comfortable enough that I'm hoping to actually try some local trails soon. It definitely isn't an inexpensive hobby though. By the time I had mid level bikes for myself and my wife, helmets, basic maintenance items (air pump, tire changes, etc.), a storage solution, and some replacement pedals since the ones that came with my bike were way too slippery I was in for at least $2,000.

jeep45238
05-31-2018, 02:44 PM
As cheap as I can get away with! I just finished going back to college, which burned a hole through my savings account, so I'm putting myself on a strict budget. I'll need to sell some of the unused stuff that's lounging around in my safe to shake loose some funds.

I don't have any deep passion for bike riding, but I think it can be a useful means to an end. I really like running, but as I get older, and my knees start to worry me more, I'd like to find a lower impact alternative that helps me get my cardio fix.

But I don't know the difference between a walmart bike and something well used--but well made. It seems that some of the major brands make walmart level stuff AND decent mid-level stuff. It all looks the same to me. Like a Del-ton or DPMS vs a Colt 6920. They're all the same thing, right? No, not even close! I'd like the equivalent of a scuffed up 6920 with 3500 rounds through it, VS a DPMS that looks new and costs $50 less. I just need a bike to function properly, and it'd also be nice to maximize my performance:dollar ratio.

I looked for cyclocross, Surly, and Trek, but I'm not having a ton of luck on craigslist in my area. Any other ideas?

Send me a pm, I’m on the road for a few days and that’ll help remind me to respond. I’m happy to discuss in PM if that’s easier for you.

idahojess
05-31-2018, 03:13 PM

I'm about the same size --- I think a medium bike would be your frame size. The issue of wheel size (27.5 vs 29) may be the equivalent of a .45 vs 9mm debate. I'm a luddite, and ride a 26, which they don't make anymore (I've been mountain biking off and on since 1989). I don't think you can go wrong with a hard tail with front suspension and disc brakes -- the trek Marlin that was mentioned earlier looks like a good start (I have no experience with that bike, but it looks like a fair deal, with hydraulic brakes and a coil sprung front suspension fork).

I really think disc brakes and front suspension have made mountain biking a much saner sport. (I ride a FS bike right now).

Too fancy (i.e full suspension) and you risk blowing money on something you won't get into, which is overkill and heavy for street riding. But you should get something with enough capability (front fork, disk brakes) that you can try trail riding to see if you like it. Odds are, you will!

Remember the rule about light, strong, cheap: pick two.

Try to support your local bike shop if you can.

cornstalker
06-23-2018, 12:22 AM
I still haven't pursued the brakes noise further. I just don't use them... Lol.

I have no aspirations of becoming a mountain bike YouTuber, but here is a quick video of some of the trails I ride in the morning before work. The first two segments were recon on new trails. The first is a chunky black trail called the Black Pearl. The last two segments were fun rips down trails I am familiar with.

https://youtu.be/Akd9yF3VdUM

jeep45238
06-23-2018, 05:32 AM
I still haven't pursued the brakes noise further. I just don't use them... Lol.

I have no aspirations of becoming a mountain bike YouTuber, but here is a quick video of some of the trails I ride in the morning before work. The first two segments were recon on new trails. The first is a chunky black trail called the Black Pearl. The last two segments were fun rips down trails I am familiar with.

https://youtu.be/Akd9yF3VdUM

https://gopro.com/v/5NLDwLEyPDRe

This was my wife’s 3rs time off pavement, and her first time in the lead (she accidentally went off the green and onto the red race once). My shop happened across a Liv Embolden 2 that fits her, with remote lockout on the fork and a dropper post.

Our green loop is basically smooth rolling hiking, our intermediate has some loose rock sections with roots, and our red is filled with roots and creek crossings.

If you have a trek bike with a Blendr stem, the go-pro case and the Blendr bases interface like they were made for it.

jc000
06-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Good bye, old friend…

taadski
06-29-2018, 06:27 PM
Good bye, old friend…

#onebyrevolution (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=onebyrevolution)
#goodriddance (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=goodriddance)

Lex Luthier
06-30-2018, 12:20 AM
Good bye, old friend…

They come, and they go.

I am currently running 1995 Shimano Deore XTR on the drop bar MTB, 2012 Shimano Tiagra on the modern utility-cyclocross bike, and 1978 Campagnolo Gran Sport (last hurrah of the original 1954 group) on the go-fast vintage roadbike.

We use them until they stop working for us, and then we move on.

mtnbkr
06-30-2018, 06:50 AM
#onebyrevolution (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=onebyrevolution)
#goodriddance (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=goodriddance)

Except my road bikes and my forays into singlespeed and fixed gear mountain bikes, I've been 1x since 2008. It wasn't even a thing when I did it, I just didn't see the need for the granny and big rings with 11x32 clusters and a 32t middle ring. Granted, most of my riding is in the rolling hills of NoVA, but with gear clusters coming out with 42t cogs, 1x is even more practical 10 years later.

Chris

MD7305
06-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Anybody have a Trek Stache or Kona Honzo? Looking to add a hardtail and I like both of these bikes but I've only ridden a Stache. I got rid of my hardtail last year, it was a Niner SIR9 set up with a 120mm SID. I think long travel, slacked geometry hardtail are a blast and really versatile.

taadski
06-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Anybody have a Trek Stache or Kona Honzo? Looking to add a hardtail and I like both of these bikes but I've only ridden a Stache. I got rid of my hardtail last year, it was a Niner SIR9 set up with a 120mm SID. I think long travel, slacked geometry hardtail are a blast and really versatile.

I agree completely.

I’ve ridden Honzos in the past but I don’t currently own one. However the hardtail I build up this spring is a Kona Wozo; a fatbike frame that pretty closely replicates the Honzo’s geometry. Based on my experience with them both, I think that’s pretty spot on. FWIW, I’ve been riding it as a trail hardtail with a 29+ wheel set (3” tires).

I haven’t ridden a Stache (or a Full Stache) yet, but plus tire compatibility with a modern trail geo has me pining to try them both. If I hadn’t wanted true 26” fat tire capability for shoulder season riding, I’d very likely have gone with the Stache outright.

FWIW, I’ve slightly slackened the HTA of the Wozo using an angle headset and by adding some fork travel. Both with positive results, although I’m still tinkering. It has been a fun project and I’ve been having a blast with it. (Don't mind the cat photo bomb. :p)

https://i.imgur.com/IAimbtvh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ChRxazoh.png

https://i.imgur.com/uu6Otchh.png

Trukinjp13
08-27-2018, 06:42 AM
Bumping this back up. Hoping to pick up a new bike in the next month or so. Looking to spend 600ish. I know, not exactly big money. I have a Trek 4300 with 26” on her. It is okay but needs some work. I am looking for a faster bike.

I live on dirt roads but do like to ride to work. Mix of dirt/asphalt. Also have a lot of trails out by me. Loose dirt/sand/mud. Lil bit of everything. I am debating between a 29er and a plus size tire bike. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks guys.

jc000
08-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Bumping this back up. Hoping to pick up a new bike in the next month or so. Looking to spend 600ish. I know, not exactly big money. I have a Trek 4300 with 26” on her. It is okay but needs some work. I am looking for a faster bike.

I live on dirt roads but do like to ride to work. Mix of dirt/asphalt. Also have a lot of trails out by me. Loose dirt/sand/mud. Lil bit of everything. I am debating between a 29er and a plus size tire bike. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks guys.

$600 will be pretty tough. I know it sounds like sounds like a significant amount of money, but we're talking about a complex mechanical machine that can transport you for (pretty much) unlimited distances, and can support a grown humans weight as it bashes and rolls over all manner of terrain.

If you are severely restricted to that budget I would recommend getting something used. I see a lot of good offerings on Facebook and Craigslist that would fit within your range in my area, and would certainly suggest checking out what turns up in yours.

As I commonly do, I would recommend a 29" bike, rigid if possible, or a cyclocross bike (basically a durable road bike with knobby tires). I'd steer away from a plus tire bike. I think they are gimmicky, heavy, and more of a fun speciality bike than something you'll want to put a ton of miles on. But then again what do I know!

Recognizing this is nearly twice your budget, I think this is about the perfect bike for someone looking for a highly capable ride that will be efficient and won't break the bank: http://www.konaworld.com/unit_x.cfm. Best news is that you could run 29 or 27+ wheels on it if you really want to have both options available.

mtnbkr
08-27-2018, 10:49 AM
I concur with what JC000 said. However, unless you know how to evaluate a used bike, especially if it has shocks, hydraulic brakes, etc, I'd steer clear of used unless it's from a trusted seller. However, if you can wait a couple months, bikes will start to go on end-of-season clearance sale and you can stretch your dollars further. Also, if you have a Performance Bike nearby, their house brand bikes are a pretty good deal. They won't give you any trailhead bragging rights, but they'll ride and handle well. FWIW, I've been rocking an Access (Performance house brand) frame for the last 6-7 years and love it. I got it on clearance for less than $100.

A cross or gravel bike would be a good option if you're not doing any hardcore offroading. Gravel bikes are similar to Cross bikes except they tend to be a bit more mild mannered handling-wise. Get something that can handle up to 40c tires and you won't miss not having a true mountain bike most of the time.

Chris

taadski
08-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Can anyone help me out?? Thanks guys.

Pretty funny, but I also immediately went to the Kona homepage and leafed through their hardtail options when I read your post. Reason being they have some really well spec'd bikes at really reasonable prices for todays market. I have a buddy who owns a local shop that rides a Unit as a hardtail single speed. It's pretty much his go-to bike. It is a skosh above your price range, but it really does check all your boxes and offers the ability to play with 27.5+ or 29. It's also suspension compatible if you decide you want to go that route later.

I bought a mid-range Kona hardtail as an experiment this spring. Interestingly, for the majority of the summer, it's the bike I've been grabbing most for daily rides, despite having access to several high-end carbon wonder-bikes. I'd give them a look.

t

Mjolnir
08-27-2018, 12:14 PM
These two plus the cyclocross.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180827/d404d693a19a80a3e7045ba6c9f34ab8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180827/121bdedcec0da3e5f49549860ff54717.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180827/5d6563339129ce6c73d5a5ccc30d1b54.jpg

SafetyFirst
08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Ti me up.

bravo7
08-28-2018, 01:07 AM
Spot brand, steel hard tail with SS belt drive.

jeep45238
08-28-2018, 06:12 AM

Trek Marlin 6 would be my recommendation. It does have rack and fender mounts in case you decide to run it as a commuter instead of a trail beast, and you can easily swap into road tires vs knobbies as well. With the bike stock you’ll be able to run the trails, and if it doesn’t work out for you, you can still use it for other purposes.

The 6 gets you a slightly better fork and an extra gear in the rear over the 5, and comes in right at your budget.

If you are more serious about trails than flexibility, look for a used gas-shock equipped hardtail. I would recommend a 29” or 27.5” wheel size, with speed going to 29 and slow speed nimbleness going to 27.5. I prefer Shimano equipped drivetrains, they seem to be more durable and hold adjustments better than the SRAM models coming into our shop. If you can find Shimano hydraulic disk brakes as well, stop looking because you found your bike. SRAM and Tektro tend to be more noisy and a bit more funky to bleed/adjust.

Trukinjp13
08-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. Looks like I need to expand my spending a little bit. Going to hit up a few shops this weekend and see what they have.

Trukinjp13
09-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Bike was ordered and should be delivered to performance cycle today. Ended up ordering a fuji nevada 1.1 2018.

Does anyone know of any hydration packs with a ccw pouch? Or a good pack with a decent spot for a pistol?

theJanitor
09-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread, but a HUGE congrats to Kate Courtney. What a ride to become World Champion! Fingers crossed for Aaron Gwin tomorrow