PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Production Car

SamAdams
11-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Pretty amazing-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5054365/Koenigsegg-Agera-RS-world-s-fastest-car.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peally
11-07-2017, 11:34 AM
The good part is it's not battering-ram ugly like the Veyron was.

P30
11-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Would be very funny, if a grandma on an e-bike would overtake the Koenigsegg in the video. Or a low-flying UFO.

Like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijRI4nA088).

octagon
11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
It is even better that the speed was achieved on a real road not a track.

SecondsCount
11-07-2017, 03:01 PM
From Wikipedia
Agera RS:
5.0 L (305 cu in) 1,176 PS (865 kW; 1,160 bhp) twin-turbo V8

Wowzers. That thing has to be a handful when the boost comes on.

PearTree
11-07-2017, 03:50 PM
What I find most impressive is the agera RS isn't even the fastest vehicle they make, it's the one:1. I would like to see the times it could produce if they quit wrecking them trying to break the nurburgring fastest lap time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
11-07-2017, 04:24 PM

I remember seeing a pre-production version of the Veyron in about ~2005. It was a much better looking car then, because it hadn't been fully tuned in the wind tunnel yet. And most importantly, at the time, though it was slated to be fast (and it was fast, I saw them take it around Laguna Seca then), it wasn't slated to be "the fastest". So they had left some design cues and calls back to the Type 35 and others that made it a much more attractive vehicle, but ones that would ultimately compromise aero at higher speeds. Once they decided to go "fastest", they cut all the old school styling cues and reshaped the size and body making it uglier than a toothless crack whore in the process. It was a real shame.

I'm a bit of a fuddy-duddy, I dig fast as much as the next guy, but cars like the Veyron and Agera R aren't even really good wall posters, because they just don't exist in the wild. They also lack a certain rawness, these cars are so hyper refined in wind tunnels, hyper refined on the dyno, so on and so forth. Don't get me wrong, they are technical prowesses, amazing feats of engineering, and certainly BETTER cars than those of old. But I dunno, they lack a certain sex appeal and boldness, that others do.

I guess those are my nostalgia lens looking back at the days of my youth...where I would happily have traded grandpa's Grand Marquis for a caged Honda Civic with sport suspension, because racecar.

Peally
11-07-2017, 04:44 PM
I guess those are my nostalgia lens looking back at the days of my youth...where I would happily have traded grandpa's Grand Marquis for a caged Honda Civic with sport suspension, because racecar.

Assuming no ability to resell or any financial mumbojumbo I'd take a new Ford GT over a Veyron any day despite being worth a 10th of one.

txdpd
11-08-2017, 12:50 AM
Assuming no ability to resell or any financial mumbojumbo I'd take a new Ford GT over a Veyron any day despite being worth a 10th of one.

I'm sure the new GT isn't cheap to run, but you got to be beyond money to maintain a Veyron. $40k sets of tires every 2500 miles, $100k sets of wheels every 3rd set of tires, $20k oil changes, transporting your car or mechanics to work on it, etc. No wonder that guy drove his in a lake.

I do think that it's a stretch to call a car a "production" model if the company has a four year wait list.

olstyn
11-08-2017, 07:07 AM

No kidding. The Veyron has always been an amazing technical exercise which just isn't very pretty.

Joe in PNG
11-08-2017, 03:31 PM
It may be the fact that I am turning more into James May as I age, but the World's Fastest Supercar just doesn't do anything for me anymore.
In fact, most modern mid-engined speed wedges leave me pretty cold.

Stephanie B
11-08-2017, 03:49 PM
You have to climb to 10,000' in order to fly an airplane faster than that (minimum speeds notwithstanding). Driving that car has to be like doing a buzz-job in a F-104.

NH Shooter
11-08-2017, 06:55 PM
I remember seeing a pre-production version of the Veyron in about ~2005. It was a much better looking car then, because it hadn't been fully tuned in the wind tunnel yet.

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

Peally
11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

"It's a piece of shit" Niki Lauda to Enzo Ferrari regarding Ferrari's F1 car

Everyone's got an opinion :D

RevolverRob
11-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Enzo Ferrari, may he burn in hell, was always an asshole who didn't know as much as he thought he did. The definition, if you will of Dunning-Kruger.

The upside to Enzo's existence though...is that in being the asshole he was, he motivated a lot of people to be better than him. Without Enzo, we don't get the cars of Carroll Shelby, the Ford GT40 and subsequent GTs, Lamborghini, and even some of the truly epic racing Porsches that were built in history. So, while I think he's a dickbag who put a prancing pony on his cars and didn't know his ass from his elbow, I thank him. Because he contributed so much to automotive and racing history, besides Ferrari.

And I'll admit, the F40 was one of the posters on my bedroom wall as a kid. Right next to a Cobra, a Cobra Daytona Coupe, and a GT40...