PDA

View Full Version : Zero Drop Wide Toebox Winter Boot

SamAdams
11-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone- I do best with a zero heel drop boot with a wide, roomy toe box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

littlejerry
11-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Not zero drop, but Keen has wide toe boxes and has been a good boot for me.

Altra makes a high top Lone Peak, but at best it's water resistant to rain according to reviews.

SamAdams
11-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Sorry for my earlier post above that was cut short. (I’m having iPhone issues with Tapatalk.)
We got our first substantial snowfall today. I’ve been looking for a zero drop/wide toebox winter boot and have had no luck. I have a pair of Keen boots that are well made, but the heel rise throws my back out by the end of the day.
I have Belleville zero drop training boots, but these aren’t a winter boot. In warmer weather I use Lems Boulder boots. These are perfect in terms of toebox volume and being zero drop, but they are also a lightweight boot not suitable for heavy winter use.

So far, the best solution I’ve come up with for winter is the Lems boots worn with a pair of Neos overshoes. These are warm, waterproof, and light weight. (I bought the optional insulated foot bed & wear alpaca socks in winter.) The two together give me a zero drop winter boot. . . kinda. I’ve used these for the last three winters but thought I’d check with everyone to see if there might be a truly zero drop/wide toebox winter boot out there now. Thanks
littlejerry - thanks. I actually have Altra LonePeak shoes for warmer weather. Maybe I’ve tried everything out there ?

Cookie Monster
11-05-2017, 05:51 PM
What temps and conditions are you looking at?

SamAdams
11-05-2017, 06:03 PM
They don’t even have to be all that rugged. Good enough for around the homestead where we got a foot or two of accumulated snow & drifts in places of 3-4 feet. Air temp at times -8F during the day.
I haven’t had a problem finding boots that’ll handle the snow & cold. I have had problems finding a zero drop wide toebox boot that’ll meet those conditions. Thanks

willie
11-05-2017, 07:24 PM
You might check Danner's website.

Jakus
11-05-2017, 07:56 PM
I have no experience with the boot referenced below, but I have tried out zero drop trail runners from the same company. They might fit your criteria.

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/lone-peak-3-neoshell-mid

Here is some discussion from the Hill People Gear forum on the subject and the boot in question.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/forumid/23/postid/19491/scope/posts

orionz06
11-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Vivobarefoot. A friend who was a mail carrier had them and enjoyed them.

schüler
11-05-2017, 09:05 PM
You might check New Balance and see what the latest and greatest is. Just checked the insulated MO1099 I have - still has a heel. NB is one of a few putting out 4E and 6E sizes. Danner have typically been 2E max except very few models.

taadski
11-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Russell Moccasin Company makes true old world hand built custom shoes and boots. They make several models that are “minimalist” boots with zero drop and might suit your needs. They’re pricey but will last you a lifetime. There are some neat stories and reviews on the site that are worth reading.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/minimalist-footwear-custom-made/

SamAdams
11-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. So far, the NEOS overshoes have been the best solution I’ve found. I wear zero drop shoes or boots with them. I just ordered another pair with replaceable steel cleats for use on ice.

https://www.overshoesneos.com/Neos-Overshoes-Voyager-Stabilicer.html

DallasBronco
11-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I am seconding the response about Vivobarefoot. They have a couple of different styles of Winter boot that is insulated and waterproof. I have several of their regular shoes, and running shoes and am a big fan. Nice, zero drop, with a wide toebox.

SamAdams
11-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Everyone is unique in terms of what footwear works for them. I had tried the Vivobarefoot & they didn’t fit my clunker feet well. Not enough volume in the toebox area. I wear a 13 or 14 - medium or wide, depending on the particular shoe/boot.

Cookie Monster
11-06-2017, 06:20 PM
I've had good luck with Muck Boot, I really like the insulated ones. From looking at mine, doesn't look like there is a significant heel to it.

SamAdams
11-06-2017, 06:24 PM
I've had good luck with Muck Boot, I really like the insulated ones. From looking at mine, doesn't look like there is a significant heel to it.

I’ve heard good things about Muck Boots from wildlife photographers who have their feet submerged in water or mud all day

joshs
11-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Everyone is unique in terms of what footwear works for them. I had tried the Vivobarefoot & they didn’t fit my clunker feet well. Not enough volume in the toebox area.

I have the same problem with the newer Vivo shoes. I think at some point they changed to a last that has a smaller toe box. My Vivo Aqua Lites were super durable with a very wide toe box, but the newer Vivos I've tried are too narrow. The all-leather Boulder Boots with several treatments of Obenauf's LP are the best boot I've found (although I wish they would switch to a stitched on sole). I've had good luck with other Altra shoes, so I've been considering the Lone Peak mids, but I'm hesitant to order due to some weird sizing issues with other Altras (I've had to go up at least a whole size to get proper fit).

SamAdams
11-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Two things that made a huge difference in how my lower back feels at the end of the day (I hadn’t realized it was an issue till making the change) -
- going with zero drop footwear
- replacing my wallet in a back pocket with a money clip carried in a front pocket

DallasBronco
11-06-2017, 11:50 PM
There's another British brand that might work for you, Freet. Their website is freetfootwear.uk I believe. I've heard some people have issues with the newer Vivo's, but I have fairly narrow feet and haven't had an issue.

DallasBronco
11-07-2017, 08:40 AM
https://freetfootwear.co.uk/

:)
Thank you, sir. I was on a tablet when I typed that and too lazy to provide a proper link.

Shellback
11-07-2017, 01:14 PM
I wear the XTRATUF ankle boots all the time for wet weather. They're like wearing waterproof Vans.

Their neoprene deck boots look like they'd fit the bill and I'm buying some for this winter. They have a mid and tall.

Website: https://www.xtratufboots.com and they sell them on Amazon for cheaper.

Shellback
11-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Here’s an Amazon link: http://amzn.to/2yfJ7HD

:)

Thanks Tom! I was hoping people would search through PF and they'd kick you back a few nickels.