PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used Glock? M&P?

MTechnik
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Every manufacturer puts out duds now and then. How do you know you're not buying someone else's problem just to save a few bucks?

That said, would you buy a used Glock 19? Can any problems it does maybe have be solved by a trip back?

The $350 you can get a used G19 makes it a possible pick-up. A $500 new-in-box glock takes a bit more planning and consideration.

Or is a glock so reliable that you wouldn't hesitate, and I'm sill for asking?

Same thing for an M&P 9? Or a P30 V1?

mlk18
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I think more used guns hit the market because the owner didn't like it or wanted something else even more. Sure some go up for sale because of issues but I think that is rare with the reputable makers. With S&W warranty and excellent customer service I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any used Smith, especially the M&Ps. Glocks are pretty easy to fix and the armorer network is extensive. And it is very rare to find a troubled Glock 9mm (not as true for .40). I don't have much experience with H&K but their reputation seems to have been earned. I often buy used guns and have rarely ever had any issues. I generally replace the recoil spring and inspect them thoroughly, but otherwise I break them in like new and establish the same level of reliability. The savings usually goes toward ammo.

KeeFus
03-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Cant go wrong with a used GLOCK. Utterly reliable. I have 3 and have never had an issue.

My agency is in the process of swapping out our HK USP Compact .45's for the S&W M&P. Everyone I have spoken with about the M&P has stated that their customer service is excellent.

Pennzoil
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes to the Glocks for me I almost prefer them as I've had better luck with used then new. I don't know enough about the M&P or P30 to comment on those.

I have 3 used Glocks 2 police trade ins 1 trade that have been great. Longtime shooting buddies also have police trade ins 19's &26's that have been good also. I just replace trigger spring, recoil spring, and detail strip inspect/clean(buddies didn't even do this). Unless something crazy happens you can fix most everything yourself for cheap on a Glock.

David
03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Every manufacturer puts out duds now and then. How do you know you're not buying someone else's problem just to save a few bucks?

That said, would you buy a used Glock 19? Can any problems it does maybe have be solved by a trip back?

The $350 you can get a used G19 makes it a possible pick-up. A $500 new-in-box glock takes a bit more planning and consideration.

A used Glock? Yes if it is 3rd Generation and in decent condition. A used M&P? Depends on how early the production was and the condition. I already had 2 M&P 45's which I liked but got rid of, any used M&P would have to be a newer revision for me in order to hopefully avoid the issues with the earlier production runs.

Issues like the wrong finish treatments were applied in some of the earlier slides leaving it more susceptible to rust, earlier striker / firing-pin designs were known to be prone to breaking under moderate dry-fire. As well as less known revisions like the radius cut on the slide stop notch in-order to address the issue with the rails on the slide splitting. I'd feel safer buying the used Gen3 Glock than an older M&P since Glock had more time to find and correct issues whereas the M&P was still in the process. If I was going to buy a M&P I would buy new. JMHO.

JV_
03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm too chicken to buy used guns, from a stranger. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, but reading about the number of Dremel happy folks, who flaunt their 'talent' on forums, gives me pause. I'll happily pay the premium for a new gun.

jslaker
03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
My USPc and P226 were both bought used. The USPc with an unknown roundcount, the P226 with a round count around 200. The 226 is strictly a range toy that doubles as home defense in a pinch, the USPc became my carry gun after a few thousand rounds. The P226 had trigger work done to it, but I made sure to get the name of the smith that did the work, and verified he was reputable (and FWIW, the trigger on that gun is fantastic even by Sig standards). Both guns have been solid.

Looking to pick up a G19 in the near future. I want a Gen4, so probability is like 95% that it'll be new. I'd have no problem buying a police trade-in Glock, though, and often recommend them to people that are looking for a reliable weapon with minimal outlay.

turbolag23
03-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I purchased one new glock and three used ones and actually most guns I buy are used. more often than not the used ones are rarely fired and the person just wants to try something new. you can occasionally find pretty good deals on used guns but for some reason my area people think used guns are worth more than they cost new.

3-7-77
03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I've bought used Glocks before without a problem. Have not bought many others used. All my pistols were bought NIB at the "LEO" price, which is hard to beat when comparing what used Glocks go for. I do have a PD trade-in W. German P226 9mm my wife bought me that has been wonderful, I would happily buy another one like it.

Provided I can either take the pistol apart, or for an online purchase, see some good pictures of the internals, I'm not apprehensive about a used purchase. With Glocks in particular, you can pretty much cheaply replace any parts that are worn.

willowofwisp
03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
A used glock for sure no problem, and probably the same on an m&p just would hope for one of the newer versions.

LittleLebowski
03-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Either, no problem. Also a used HK.

atingle
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I am currently looking for a used 3rd Gen Glock 17. If you shop around, there are significant savings going used versus retail plus sales tax.

I feel that any issues (if they do arise) can easily be addressed by myself, or one of the numerous local Glock Armorers for a minimal cost.

I hesitate buying a used 4th Gen Glock. I feel that some people might be off loading their problem pistols. I don't want the hassle of sending it back and forth to Glock Customer Service to diagnose a design problem.

Regards,
Alan

SecondsCount
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I have not bought a new gun in years because I find taking the risk of an issue to be small. In recent years the used guns I have bought include M&P's - 40FS and 45c, 1911's-Springfield and 2 Les Baers, Kahr K9, Glock 19, CZ 75B, some .22 pistols, and I have a used P30 on the way.

The only one that gave me an issue was the M&P40 which was light primer strikes. I purchased the gun from someone that had shot 72 rounds with it to qualify and then sold it to me. After another 1100 rounds is when I started having issues. Since I purchased it used, S&W would not send me a new striker under warranty so I bought the new upgraded striker assembly for $25. Saving over $100 by purchasing used made it worth it. If it had been a slide, or something more serious then I probably would have pressed the issue with S&W.

bstrawse
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM

I generally don't mind buying used guns, but I prefer to see/inspect them in person - and then do my own maintenance on them before shooting.

B

mongooseman
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I've bought and traded several used 3rd Gen G19's. I almost view them as currency, trading and selling a pistol and two mags, but always keeping the other ten mags I own because it's a matter of time....They've all been problem free and typical,boring Glock.

The only police trade in I had worked over was a 229 I traded a 19 for. It was a rare trade in because the previous owner evidently liked to shoot while most just have holster wear. I had a smith replace all springs with Wolff springs, new Mepro night sights, and a two tone cerakote finish. When the original owner saw it he didn't recognize it and I sold it back to him for a little profit and my G19.

TCinVA
03-09-2011, 07:52 AM

It's a game of percentages. The percentage of problematic generation 3 Glock 19's out there compared to the number that work just fine is so small that with any given purchase you aren't very likely to be purchasing a pistol that has serious issues. If you do buy one that has problems, Glock can usually fix it. The same holds true for a S&W M&P.

Now when I see a semi-custom or custom 1911 in a gunshop priced at something less than a kidney and your firstborn child, I immediately get suspicious that this is one of those 1911's that just flat doesn't work and somebody is trying to unload it to recoup some of their losses. That, frankly, would cause me more indigestion about a purchase than anything else.

If I found a 3rd Generation 9mm Glock, or a S&W M&P, or a P30 at a good price as a used gun and I wanted to buy, I wouldn't hesitate. I would look them over for obvious defects, of course, but between the quality of those weapons generally and the customer support offered by all three companies (which is pretty darn good by any reasonable standard) it would be hard to lose.

...that's generally why you don't see those guns on sale used for a hefty discount off of the new price. They're a good bet new or used.

JHC
03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
If I were in the market I wouldn't hesitate to go for a used Glock 9mm. I've long had two Gen 2 G19s that were bought heavily used and they were outstanding. When time comes for an overhaul, it is basically free except for the gas to drive over to Smyrna for inpect and upgrade service. If I see a used RTF2 G19 I'll execute a sub 1 second draw of my wallet.

I would not personally buy a used G in the larger calibers however.

I've tried (2400 rds worth) an M&P and its a swell gun but a used one wouldn't tempt me.

BWT
03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I'd say the companies mentioned usually have a good track record, and usually have great support.

Personally, I'd prefer to see/handle it before I bought it, but with the Internet these days, it's not always an option.

I'd say buy it, run it through the ringer that you normally do for new guns to verify their functionality, and not worry about it beyond that.

I'm also hesitant to buy a gun from anyone that doesn't have a great warranty/service record these days.

Mechanical things fail, no matter how well engineered, just facts of life. Things wear out and break.