PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

peterb
11-01-2017, 08:32 PM
It's that time of year when those of us in the northern regions start to think seriously about gloves, and finding the right balance between warmth/protection and dexterity. My box o' gloves gets a couple of additions every year. What has worked for you?

On the dexterity end of the scale, I just got a pair of the Mechanix Wear High Dexterity gloves to try. I don't expect them to be warm or rugged, but the touch sensitivity is very good.
http://www.mechanix.com/specialty-05mm-high-dexterity-high-dexterity-gloves

For serious cold the only thing that works for me is a heavy glove or mitten over a thin liner.

GAP
11-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Cold weather golf gloves.

Guerrero
11-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Also interested. Wisconsin winters are brutal on the hands. Water resistances is also one of my criteria.

BillSWPA
11-01-2017, 09:36 PM
I typically wear Thinsulate insulated leather dress gloves. The leather provides good wind cutting, the entire combination is reasonably warm, and I have enough dexterity to run a Glock. I spray them with silicone waterproofing spray. I have also had reasonably good luck with Hatch patrol gloves, which provide very good dexterity, although my most recent pair is not as warm as I would like. Isotoner gloves are also a reasonably good balance of warmth and dexterity. Isotoner bulk knit are the best I have seen for pure warmth when outside in serious cold for long periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropkick
11-01-2017, 10:16 PM
My box o' gloves gets a couple of additions every year. What has worked for you?

Hey, I got one of those too!
Last winter, most days, I wore USGI wool black fingerless gloves.
They made it easy to use a smart phone, pull a trigger, or anything else that needed full dexterity.

BobM
11-01-2017, 10:22 PM
At work I use either Mechanix insulated gloves or some others by Serius. I can draw and shoot with them. In the woods in really cold weather I have some GI surplus wool mittens and over mitts with the separate trigger finger. Sometimes I'll wear a glove instead under the overmitt so I could pull the overmitt and still have the glove on.

RevolverRob
11-01-2017, 11:19 PM
This Texan has tried almost every pair of gloves I can put my hands in, because my hands get cold easily and I hate winter.

The long and short answer for me is - I haven't found the perfect pair. BUT I've found solutions.

Outdoor Research PL-150s work great as stand-alone options to the low 20s or to the mid-to-upper 20s if the wind is blowing 40mph (like it was a few days ago here) https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear-and-accessories/gloves-and-mittens/mens-pl-150-sensor-gloves/p/2432080001007

Below 20-degrees I switch to Outdoor Research Alibi IIs - https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear-and-accessories/gloves-and-mittens/alibi-ii-gloves/p/2433190151008

The Alibi IIs are the only gloves I've ever had that fit snug, but offer great dexterity. They are ice climbing/alpine gloves The material cuts wind, but they are not insulated. By virtue of cutting wind and the fact that all of my coats have pockets, I'm able to use these gloves down into the single-digit negative temperatures.

But if I'm going to be outside for an extended period of time and/or working with my hands in the cold...I just the PL150s on first and then the Alibi IIs over them. This system gives me good dexterity and great warmth to -20 with windchills in the -30s.

Downside to the Alibi IIs, no touch-screen/phone sensor ability. But, I've discovered that since Apple switched to a biometric-type sensor on the iPhone 7s my PL150s don't work either...:mad:

Dropkick
11-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Outdoor Research PL-150s work great as stand-alone options to the low 20s or to the mid-to-upper 20s

I've heard good things about the OR PL-150s from the hiking and backpacking community. If I'm in the right place, right time, right sale, I'd totally buy a pair.

Dropkick
11-02-2017, 07:31 AM
And the coffee is kicking in... As far as Mechanix gloves go... The standard style ones, if they get wet, and it's cold out, your hands will be done for. Ask me how I know!

OnionsAndDragons
11-02-2017, 09:01 AM
/agree on the OR Alibi gloves. Those things are great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeep45238
11-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Won't work for shooting anything, but split finger (aka lobster) gloves have saved my bacon on the bicycle for the last few winters.

OnionsAndDragons
11-02-2017, 09:39 AM
I also like the combo of merino wool liner gloves with mittens over for the extreme cold. It's pretty easy to whip a pair of mittens off with a little practice.

They look dorky AF though.

If you don't wear a coat with nice insidey pockets, one of those kangaroo pouches the football players use is pretty nifty for warming your hands if you are outside for long periods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

psalms144.1
11-02-2017, 10:41 AM
I've gone down the glove rabbit hole almost as much as the "what should I carry instead of my G19" rabbit hole. I've tried ALL KINDS of gloves. I have hundreds of dollars worth of OR gloves - because they were the uberest tacticoolest most operatory gloves ever - and, for MY hands, they suck. The fit is either tight to the point of restricting blood flow, or so loose they're worthless for shooting. I've used Oakleys, 5.11, Blackhawk, and a bunch of others. Of all of them, the Blackhawk SOLAGs gave the best combination of warmth, protection, and dexterity - BUT, they're fragile as all hell, and I'm lucky to get a single (long) winter season out of them (wasn't a problem when they were being issued to me, but gets spendy when you're buying out of pocket). They are also short in the wrist, which is great for some applications, I guess, but not so great when you're trying not to get your wrists and forearms frost bitten.

After years of this nonsense, I've given up and gone the "sunglasses" route - to whit, every fall I buy a pair or two of CHEAP gloves at COSTCO, and wear them for everything except shoveling snow or standing around outside in the rain for extended periods. They're CHEAP, so when they wear through, I throw them away without remorse. They're warm, and generally give enough dexterity to shoot well with them on. And, they have whatever magical unicorn dust you need to have them work with touch screen phones (doesn't help now that we've switched to iPhones with mandatory fingerprint lock, but, once the darn thing is unlocked, I can still use the phone with my glubs on)...

Chuck Whitlock
11-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Now that I am back in south TX this issue doesn't affect me. But working uniformed patrol in Nebraska, I found the 5.11 Praetorian gloves to keep my hands reasonably warm. Dexterity was so-so. I despise velcro closure on gloves and prefer elastic at the wrist, so that affects my choices.

Holmes375
11-04-2017, 03:19 PM
.... I despise velcro closure on gloves and prefer elastic at the wrist, so that affects my choices.

Amen!

Guerrero
11-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Anyone ever try Mechanix Winter Impact Pro gloves?

RevolverRob
11-04-2017, 05:21 PM
After years of this nonsense, I've given up and gone the "sunglasses" route - to whit, every fall I buy a pair or two of CHEAP gloves at COSTCO, and wear them for everything except shoveling snow or standing around outside in the rain for extended periods.

The Costco ones aren't bad. The cheap of the cheaps that I like though are the Old Navy fleece ones, which are about $3-7/pair. I have two spare pairs in the car, and four more scattered around the house (especially useful, for when folks come to visit from down south and come woefully unprepared). Also useful, the Old Navy fleece or flannel scarves and knit hats, you can buy enough gloves/hats/scarves for four or five people for 25 bucks.

FYI - I learned that my PL150s WILL activate my iPhone 7+, but it you have to hold your finger just right. I wonder if a newer pair (these are now four seasons old and starting to show their age on the "touch screen" portions of the finger tips) would resolve this problem? PL150s are inexpensive enough, I might buy another set and try. I wouldn't mind getting a pair that is a size down from mine currently (which are a little long in the fingers).

Gater
11-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Damn you, enablers! ;) 20 degrees colder today than yesterday already, and then you all had to come along and remind me of this. I, too, have tried a lot of solutions...I should dig them out and inventory models, but just put a pair of the PL 150s in a cart on A-zon. Less than $20, with free returns. I do believe I had pretty good results with OR sensor mitts I picked up a year or two ago.

iWander
11-10-2017, 10:54 PM
At work I use either Mechanix insulated gloves or some others by Serius. I can draw and shoot with them. In the woods in really cold weather I have some GI surplus wool mittens and over mitts with the separate trigger finger. Sometimes I'll wear a glove instead under the overmitt so I could pull the overmitt and still have the glove on.Yup. These last several seasons, are reasonable warm, wind resistant, very water resistant and great for searches. I see them as the equivalent of a three season jacket. I'll slip on a pair of waterproof Cabela's specials over the Seirus gloves when needed.

https://www.seirus.com/original-all-weather-glove-6478.html

chances R
11-10-2017, 11:07 PM
The Gun Glove is tops. Very versatile. Two different weights.

BillSWPA
11-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Another possibility: I was recently very impressed with the dexterity provided by L. L. Bean PolarTec gloves. I have not yet tested the warmth in serious cold, and cannot yet comment on how well they handle getting wet, but they seem promising at this point.

blues
11-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Another possibility: I was recently very impressed with the dexterity provided by L. L. Bean PolarTec gloves. I have not yet tested the warmth in serious cold, and cannot yet comment on how well they handle getting wet, but they seem promising at this point.

I've used their thin fleece gloves (which seem to change names every couple of years) and have gotten good wear out of them.

The ones I use are black, have the synthetic / vinyl reinforced palm, plus thumb and first couple of fingertips reinforced as well.

More comfortable using them with a revolver than a Glock but they work with either.