PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Glock 17 Locking block pin started “walking” out while firing

HCM
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Yesterday, one of my shooters had an issue with his personally owned Agency approved Gen4 Glock 17. The Locking block pin started “walking” out while he was firing.

Neither the pin, nor the pin hole feel loose. We just pushed it back in and resumed firing.

I have not seen this before. Any suggestions or concerns on this issue?

the weapon was purchased directly from Glock in December 2011. It has the current RSA and ejector.

fuse
01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
That's the big pin, right?

Very strange.

BN
01-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Check to see if the locking block pin is broken.

HCM
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Fuse, No. The Big pin is the Trgger pin. The locking block pin is the smaller one just above it.

secondstoryguy
01-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Is the spring leg of the slide release in the right spot?

JHC
01-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I've seen that a few times. Just that extra half millimeter push in (right to left IME) seating it has always ended pin walking for me.

VolGrad
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I had a gen3 34 that did that everytime I shot it. Tried multiple pins and multiple locking blocks. Same. Sent it back to Glock. Said was within specs and sent back. Still did it. Sold gun. Told new owner to beware. I think frame hole were out of spec too large. Kind of unhappy Glock didn't want to help me with it. You could try to deform ends of pin to hold it in better but would be a bitch to get in and out when you needed to. Know of a few others had same issue.

Spr1
01-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Did you try to center it perfectly? Sometimes you can feel when the reduced diameter portion lines up just right with the block. That will give you the best chance of it staying put.

JV_
01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Did you try to center it perfectly? Sometimes you can feel when the reduced diameter portion lines up just right with the block. That will give you the best chance of it staying put.

I agree.

Pistolero
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Try securing the pin at one end with a little glue and a length of string. Hang it up. After it's suspended, lightly coat it with some clear acrylic nail polish. Others I'm aware of have spray painted their loose pins with black wood burning stove paint. Problem should be solved, forever!

HCM
01-20-2012, 05:50 PM

I think this is it. Thnak you !

Boxy
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I have had this occur on a Gen 3 G34 some time ago. I think it is a matter of seating the pin evenly in the middle of the block.

Not unique to Gen 4 guns.

JonInWA
01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I concur with the two posts immediately above. Additionally, check to make sure that the pin isn't unduly worn or bent; if there are any perceived questions about your pin(s), simply immediately replace 'em-the things are dirt cheap, and a call to Glock will probably result in them being sent to you gratis.

Best, Jon

Nephrology
01-26-2012, 06:38 AM
This does happen occasionally as others have noticed. My gen 3 Glock 17 does this, particularly when it's hot out. Don't sweat it too much. Try a new set of pins and see if that fixes anything.

JCS
09-05-2016, 08:33 AM
This has happened to me 2 of the past 3 range trips. Usually after 100 rounds or so. I don't notice it until I go to holster and it won't holster because the pin is sticking out too much.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

Have there been any other solutions in the past 4 years? I guess I'll just buy new pins.

Edit: this is happening with a gen 4 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
09-07-2016, 03:50 AM
This has happened to me 2 of the past 3 range trips. Usually after 100 rounds or so. I don't notice it until I go to holster and it won't holster because the pin is sticking out too much.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

Have there been any other solutions in the past 4 years? I guess I'll just buy new pins.

Edit: this is happening with a gen 4 19

Centering the pin has addressed it in the two or three instances I've seen.

Jesting Devil
09-07-2016, 05:29 AM
I recently had this happen with a gen3 23. I pushed it back in several times without luck but after very carefully centering it, it seems to be staying put. Hopefully that helps

PensFan
09-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Glock recommends that you remove the pins left to right, reinstall right to left. The more you disassemble the frame the more wear you put on the the pin holes, especially the LB pin. FWIW

HopetonBrown
09-09-2016, 04:42 PM
I've heard that using a lighter weight recoil spring can cause the frame holes to become egg shaped. Is this true? I use 13lb recoil springs in my 17/34 Glocks.

JCS
09-09-2016, 06:13 PM
That's what I get for buying a plastic pistol [emoji12]