PDA

View Full Version : 7TS Holster with CAS Technology - Good Idea Fairy ?

HCM
10-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Safariland partners with Motorola, serving up new 7TS holster with CAS tech

Safariland s new holster uses wireless tech to automatically notify dispatch when the officer draws their pistol. Their argument is it allows the officer to focus on the threat rather than communicating themselves.

This raises many questions. For example what happens when the officer needs to lock up their weapon for administrative reasons like using the bathroom or entering a jail or booking area?

Will this same tech be used to automatically activate body cams ?

http://www.guns.com/2017/10/26/safariland-7ts-holster-cas-tech/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=59f2068404d3014e0fd7e162&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

andre3k
10-27-2017, 11:14 AM
That's doesn't even sound like a good idea on paper. So it alerts dispatch that you pulled your gun out of the holster. What happens after that?

Chance
10-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Do the Motorola radios provide any location-awareness?

I'd be more concerned with developing a reliance on the technology and then having it fail. I've worked with Bluetooth, and I've learned not to trust it. I'd also be curious what sensor they put on the holster, and if it requires a battery.

TGS
10-27-2017, 01:36 PM
That's doesn't even sound like a good idea on paper. So it alerts dispatch that you pulled your gun out of the holster. What happens after that?

Based on some software that local PDs are implementing around me, they'll probably add the capability to a program where they stack up the numbers in the database and automatically flag you as an overly aggressive LEO that needs remedial training because you're an evil white cis-male that hates black people.....or something like that.

taadski
10-27-2017, 01:38 PM
I can see it now...

"Commander XXXXXX, our records indicate Officer taadski drew a pistol from his duty holster a total of 187 times during the course of 35 minutes on January 2nd this year...And January 3rd...and January 4th, and...".

John Hearne
10-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Doesn't CAS mean Close Air Support - that sounds worthwhile....

txdpd
10-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Big brother technology sold under the guise of officer safety and just like AVL, I'm sure that it won't be used to generate discipline.

I guess Safariland and Motorola need something other than body cameras to try to get in on the police "accountability" market and bleed departments dry with crap.

andre3k
10-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Some chief will get a kickback at an IACP convention and find a way to implement this BS.

Erick Gelhaus
10-27-2017, 04:26 PM
This is just one version of the Good Idea Fairy's theory on this. Another is a chip in the frame that triggers (pun intended) an alert via one's radio.

So, the idea is drawn pistol = notification to dispatch so they can get you help. Uhhmmm, they can't help you. Many, if not all, of the issues raised here have come up in other conversations on the subject. Entities are working on softwear adapters for BWCs that will automatically turn it on when you draw or when you put the code 3 lights on or you arrive on scene.

The biggest issue I see is that activation alerts being used against cops internally or in the court system.