PDA

View Full Version : To "Safety" or not?

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 05:40 AM
This thread ran in the Rifle/Carbine section, and I am curious how it translates to the shotgun, and why. I was always taught that with a pistol, you do not use the safety routinely, as you have your finger off of the trigger and are conscious of what you are doing with the weapon, OR you have it in a holster that occludes the trigger.

The carbine goes on a sling, and the trigger is not occluded, along with the fact that the safety doesn't cost anything time/ergonomics wise to activate/deactivate, so the safety is used when off target for ANY reason.

The shotgun seems to be the worst of both worlds, here. The weapon is slung/trigger is not occluded when not in use, AND with most shotguns, it is (impossible?) to rapidly employ the safety and then deactivate it (say, for loading).

I have not taken any shotgun courses, but I have, personally, been treating the shotgun like a pistol, except "holster" = slung/safety on.

Am I right? Am I wrong? How can I be a better shooter? Thanks!

peterb
10-27-2017, 05:50 AM
With a Mossberg with a tang safety, safety on/off is fast if you are using a conventional stock. I try to safety on whenever there's not a target, or at least whenever I lower the muzzle or the shotgun comes off my shoulder.

I changed the safety button for better grip, especially with gloves.

Using a pistol-grip stock with a tang safety is an ergonomic disaster.

I don't have enough experience with an 870-style crossbolt safety to know how to run one well.

JHC
10-27-2017, 06:19 AM
It might be two years now that we had a post on this topic that linked to the story of the young man in Texas that nearly lost his leg from apparently failing to safe this pistol gripped Mossberg 500.

In summary, he detected someone breaking into his truck outside. He stepped out with this shotgun and racked a round into the chamber and the their surrendered. His pistol gripped shottie was on some sort of single point sling.

He let the shotgun go to use both his hands on his phone to call 911 and when the shotgun descended on the sling it fired a load of OO buck into his left (IIRC) shin! I think it was presumed he hadn't safed it and the trigger hooked on something as the shotgun was lowered.

The thief helped him get into his bathtub before fleeing and he TQ'd himself and EMS showed up.

I don't have a sling on my 870 I keep with it's 18.5" barrel (full stock). My plan is to keep it in my hands. Should I have to use it, I will until it's empty and then I'll chuck it and go to a pistol. I don't believe I'll every be hanging it in front of me on any sort of sling. I might two point sling it for hunting someday I suppose.

But bottom line, I would treat it just like an AR or a 1911 with regards to the safety. Back on if not immediately shooting.

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 07:02 AM
It might be two years now that we had a post on this topic that linked to the story of the young man in Texas that nearly lost his leg from apparently failing to safe this pistol gripped Mossberg 500.

In summary, he detected someone breaking into his truck outside. He stepped out with this shotgun and racked a round into the chamber and the their surrendered. His pistol gripped shottie was on some sort of single point sling.

He let the shotgun go to use both his hands on his phone to call 911 and when the shotgun descended on the sling it fired a load of OO buck into his left (IIRC) shin! I think it was presumed he hadn't safed it and the trigger hooked on something as the shotgun was lowered.

The thief helped him get into his bathtub before fleeing and he TQ'd himself and EMS showed up.

I don't have a sling on my 870 I keep with it's 18.5" barrel (full stock). My plan is to keep it in my hands. Should I have to use it, I will until it's empty and then I'll chuck it and go to a pistol. I don't believe I'll every be hanging it in front of me on any sort of sling. I might two point sling it for hunting someday I suppose.

But bottom line, I would treat it just like an AR or a 1911 with regards to the safety. Back on if not immediately shooting.

My carbine goes on safe as soon as it leaves the target. That would be rather difficult with a cross-bolt style safety on a shotgun, however, my method would have prevented the above accident (safety on when "holstered" aka "slung").

Maybe I am doing it wrong?
Maybe a second or two is just the time you need to burn to be sure you are safe, and it should be done.

Props to the perp though, I mean, really.

JHC
10-27-2017, 07:15 AM
My carbine goes on safe as soon as it leaves the target. That would be rather difficult with a cross-bolt style safety on a shotgun, however, my method would have prevented the above accident (safety on when "holstered" aka "slung").

Maybe I am doing it wrong?
Maybe a second or two is just the time you need to burn to be sure you are safe, and it should be done.

Props to the perp though, I mean, really.

I grew up hunting with 870's so I find it pretty easy for my dominant hand middle finger to put the safety back on by rotating my wrist under the grip portion of the stock, which tends to pull the trigger finger out of the trigger guard. It's not snick snick like an AR by any means.

GJM
10-27-2017, 07:33 AM
To discuss this, it would be helpful to know how you are using the shotgun — hunting, defense, or something else. As a general rule with the shotgun, when the chamber is loaded, I keep it in my hands, and when slung it is condition 3.

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 08:35 AM
To discuss this, it would be helpful to know how you are using the shotgun — hunting, defense, or something else. As a general rule with the shotgun, when the chamber is loaded, I keep it in my hands, and when slung it is condition 3.

Hunting, I keep the chamber empty until I am in position (stand, whatever), and then chamber a round and safe the weapon/safe the weapon and chamber a round ( depends on the SG).

My context is mainly regarding a shotgun course, such as the one Magpul puts on/put on a while back. I do not recall them discussing it in the DVD's. I have zero formal training on a shotgun.

BehindBlueI's
10-27-2017, 09:39 AM
This thread ran in the Rifle/Carbine section, and I am curious how it translates to the shotgun, and why. I was always taught that with a pistol, you do not use the safety routinely, as you have your finger off of the trigger and are conscious of what you are doing with the weapon, OR you have it in a holster that occludes the trigger.

The carbine goes on a sling, and the trigger is not occluded, along with the fact that the safety doesn't cost anything time/ergonomics wise to activate/deactivate, so the safety is used when off target for ANY reason.

The shotgun seems to be the worst of both worlds, here. The weapon is slung/trigger is not occluded when not in use, AND with most shotguns, it is (impossible?) to rapidly employ the safety and then deactivate it (say, for loading).

I have not taken any shotgun courses, but I have, personally, been treating the shotgun like a pistol, except "holster" = slung/safety on.

Am I right? Am I wrong? How can I be a better shooter? Thanks!

The only shotguns I've used extensively are the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I find both very quick to take the safety off. I am now all Remington, just because I have one for work and I don't like to have multiple sets of controls so I standardize, but I do like the top mounted safety on the Mossberg. It is a bit slower to re-safe the 870, as you have to contort your wrist a bit to get to the other side of the trigger guard, but we are taught to safe it before moving around cover, etc.

psalms144.1
10-27-2017, 09:58 AM
I've also never had any issue with manipulating the safety on either an 870 or Mossy; likewise any of the Benelli's I've ever owned or shot. I treat a shotgun just like any other long gun - safety is ON until I'm ready to fire. If I need to move, reload, transition, whatever, safety ON first.

NH Shooter
10-27-2017, 03:05 PM
My understanding is that most shotgun safeties only block the trigger. If so, could the incident described by JHC have been caused by the jolt of the SG coming to a sudden stop at the end of a single point sling, like dropping the SG on its butt plate?

I have to think that a chambered round in a SG requires greater care than in an AR, even with the safety on....

GJM
10-27-2017, 03:22 PM
I've also never had any issue with manipulating the safety on either an 870 or Mossy; likewise any of the Benelli's I've ever owned or shot. I treat a shotgun just like any other long gun - safety is ON until I'm ready to fire. If I need to move, reload, transition, whatever, safety ON first.

I see this as more shades of gray than black and white. For example, if I locked open with the Benelli M2, I would not put the safety on, load a shell into the action, release the action, and then go off safe to fire. If I was topping off administratively, the safety would be used.

For my typical use, I would be fine if my Benelli shotguns had no safety, since I am most often condition 3, and can easily block the trigger guard with my finger straight if desired when a round is chambered. This would also work better for my wife who is left handed and could be using my shotgun.

Back to the OP, in my experience, there is significant loaded chamber work in a course setting, and much of that involves loading and ready positions using a tactical sling. So, start low ready safety on and manipulate the safety as the shotgun comes up onto target.

RevolverRob
10-27-2017, 03:49 PM
So, start low ready safety on and manipulate the safety as the shotgun comes up onto target.

This is my method.

Safety on until the gun comes up on target. The push button safety of most shotguns is easily manipulated off for right handed shooters as you bring the gun onto the target, by pressing it off and sliding forward onto the trigger.

I re-safety before coming off target, by keeping the gun in the shoulder pocket and support hand bracing, then move my hand off the stock, under the gun, and manipulate the safety into the on position, then I reestablish shooting hand grip and bring the gun down off target. This is slower than manipulating the safety with the support hand, but keeps extra fingers away from finger-fucking the trigger. Also, by using my firing hand, I have to break the hand away from the firing position, thereby decreasing the chance for an ND. - This is where I lose time playing the 3-gun game and I'm okay with it.

Pistol grip stocks do work better for allowing those with large thumbs the ability to manipulate the safety back on, without breaking the firing grip. But I don't have huge thumbs and prefer Magpul stocks...

When engaging multiple targets or shots on a single target, safety is off, until off target. If you have to move between targets, safety on, move, safety off. Basically, if I break the gun down to low ready, it gets safety on.

I was trying to find it, but the video appears to have been moved/deleted. It was bodycam footage of an LEO shooting with a shotgun. Everything happens within seconds, but you see the shotgun wielding officer bring the gun onto target, safety off, go to move, safety on, reaching under the gun and manipulating the safety. It didn't take much additional time.

Erick Gelhaus
10-27-2017, 04:36 PM
While I have other shotguns, the only one I actually use is the Rem 870. As I mentioned in the carbine thread on safety use, I am firmly in the Off Target - On Safe / On Target Shooting - Off Safe camp with any weapon that has a usable safety. My shotguns are set up to accomodate my left handedness. Could be a different story with other make/model shotguns but I don't have the experience with enough others to have a legit opinion at the moment.

I also hit on some of the (freakin' unconscionable) tragedies that have happened with not safed firearms in the hands of cops. The first involved a shotgun on a high risk warrant service. One pre-teen was killed by the shotgun discharging and California ended up with a state-wide commission tearing into SWAT teams & standards.

HCM
10-27-2017, 04:55 PM
I am also in the "Off Target - On Safe / On Target Shooting - Off Safe camp with any weapon that has a usable safety" camp. Especially slung long guns.

A year or two ago one of our FL based guys put a 12 gauge slug through his instep during training with a loaded, slung, dangling, and off safe 870.

I've had no issues manipulating the safety on Mossberg's, Ithaca 37's, 870's or Benelli's.

I shot my Dad's Ithaca as a kid, we use 870's at work and I've had my Benelli M1 for nearly 30 years. It helps that Ithaca 37's, 870's and Benelli's all have the safety in the same location, at the rear of the trigger guard.

I've been messing around with a Beretta 1301 and my number one issue with it is the safety is in front of rather than behind the trigger guard. Nothing really wrong with the safety in front of the trigger guard unless you have small hands, it's just not what I am used to after decades years of Ithaca /870/ Benelli.

A 1302 and a Winchester 120 / 1200 would make a good forward of the trigger guard combo.

HCM
10-27-2017, 05:03 PM
My understanding is that most shotgun safeties only block the trigger. If so, could the incident described by JHC have been caused by the jolt of the SG coming to a sudden stop at the end of a single point sling, like dropping the SG on its butt plate?

I have to think that a chambered round in a SG requires greater care than in an AR, even with the safety on....

Like most shotgun safeties, the AR safety also only blocks the trigger. Both can be discharged by sufficient inertia, normally a hard blow to the rear of the gun and both require equal care with a round chambered even with the safety on.

In my experience, the force generated by dropping a slung SG a foot or less is not sufficient for an inertia discharge. I would be very surprised if the discharge JHC mentioned was caused by anything other than something getting in the trigger guard as the homeowner dropped the SG to hang on the sling. Even more so if it was a bungee sling.

NH Shooter
10-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Like most shotgun safeties, the AR safety also only blocks the trigger. Both can be discharged by sufficient inertia, normally a hard blow to the rear of the gun and both require equal care with a round chambered even with the safety on.

In my experience, the force generated by dropping a slung SG a foot or less is not sufficient for an inertia discharge. I would be very surprised if the discharge JHC mentioned was caused by anything other than something getting in the trigger guard as the homeowner dropped the SG to hang on the sling. Even more so if it was a bungee sling.

Thanks, the clarification is appreciated!

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 05:50 PM
I see this as more shades of gray than black and white. For example, if I locked open with the Benelli M2, I would not put the safety on, load a shell into the action, release the action, and then go off safe to fire. If I was topping off administratively, the safety would be used.

For my typical use, I would be fine if my Benelli shotguns had no safety, since I am most often condition 3, and can easily block the trigger guard with my finger straight if desired when a round is chambered. This would also work better for my wife who is left handed and could be using my shotgun.

Back to the OP, in my experience, there is significant loaded chamber work in a course setting, and much of that involves loading and ready positions using a tactical sling. So, start low ready safety on and manipulate the safety as the shotgun comes up onto target.

I am fine removing the safety, it's the putting it back on that I feel like would cost me a lot of time. I do exactly what you state even when I'm dicking around at my "range" at home. My garage's life matters, too! Always safety first!

I guess my question is...is it worth it to put the safety back on/is it "required" in these courses/am I just doing it all sorts of wrong that it's costing me so much time/movement?

I only have cross-bolt safeties (Benelli, and soon Beretta 1301, that Aridus company finally talked me into it).

Hambo
10-27-2017, 05:56 PM

Benelli specific info: with some of their autos a hit to the buttstock causes the bolt to go out of battery and it won't fire.

Same as with carbines, bolt actions, 1911s, etc, I'm safety on if I'm not in the act of shooting a shotgun.

txdpd
10-27-2017, 06:20 PM
https://ryanjarcy.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/how-i-blew-off-a-leg-with-a-12-gauge-shotgun-part-one/

This guy blowing his leg off?

Not from a sling. Looks like he dropped it and grabbed it.

GJM
10-27-2017, 06:53 PM
I am fine removing the safety, it's the putting it back on that I feel like would cost me a lot of time. I do exactly what you state even when I'm dicking around at my "range" at home. My garage's life matters, too! Always safety first!

I guess my question is...is it worth it to put the safety back on/is it "required" in these courses/am I just doing it all sorts of wrong that it's costing me so much time/movement?

I only have cross-bolt safeties (Benelli, and soon Beretta 1301, that Aridus company finally talked me into it).

How come the concern about the time to reengage the safety? Typically you will look around, depress the muzzle, engage the safety, add more shot shells, and then let it hang on the sling.

David S.
10-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Dagga Boy.

I keep my shotgun in condition 1 while it’s in my hand or slung. Condition 3 while it’s in the safe or transport mode.

The 870 Vang dome safety vastly improves my ability to deactivate the safety. With it, I’m willing to operate the safety with the same philosophy as a carbine or handgun. Sights on target, safety off. Sights off target, safety on. (My context is personal defense, not hunting or games.). With a less ergonomic safety, like the factory button, I’d be more inclined to deactivate the safety earlier, including safety off while in low ready.

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 07:19 PM
How come the concern about the time to reengage the safety? Typically you will look around, depress the muzzle, engage the safety, add more shot shells, and then let it hang on the sling.

Because transitioning from target to target that's gonna slow me wayyyy down. I was trained that when you're shooting and moving, safety on with a carbine...even if "moving" means taking 3 steps to the right to engage another target, simulating moving down a long hall with rooms on the side. Kyle Lamb was very specific about ENGAGE THE SAFETY on that drill, using a carbine. Engaging the safety, I estimate, would double the time on that drill. That said, if that's the way to do it...that is the way I will do it.

HCM
10-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Because transitioning from target to target that's gonna slow me wayyyy down. I was trained that when you're shooting and moving, safety on with a carbine...even if "moving" means taking 3 steps to the right to engage another target, simulating moving down a long hall with rooms on the side. Kyle Lamb was very specific about ENGAGE THE SAFETY on that drill, using a carbine. Engaging the safety, I estimate, would double the time on that drill. That said, if that's the way to do it...that is the way I will do it.

Our work 870's have the speed feed pistol grip stocks. One benefit is it makes it quicker and easier to re-engage the safety with the strong hand thumb for a right hander without having to change grip.

GJM
10-27-2017, 07:41 PM
I have always found that the limiting factor with shotguns is keeping them topped off, and I think you will find that and not putting the safety on is your speed bump. All those I have trained shotgun with (Randy Cain, Clint Smith, Bill Jeans, Louis Awerbuck, and Gunsite) have been adamant about safety on before the shotgun hangs from the sling.

Interesting how preferences vary, as I removed all large Vang safety buttons from my 870 shotguns. With a standard safety button, I work it with the middle of my trigger finger, and can feel it flush with the frame and verify it is in the fire position. Not so with the Vang.

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 08:02 PM
I have always found that the limiting factor with shotguns is keeping them topped off, and I think you will find that and not putting the safety on is your speed bump. All those I have trained shotgun with (Randy Cain, Clint Smith, Bill Jeans, Louis Awerbuck, and Gunsite) have been adamant about safety on before the shotgun hangs from the sling.

Interesting how preferences vary, as I removed all large Vang safety buttons from my 870 shotguns. With a standard safety button, I work it with the middle of my trigger finger, and can feel it flush with the frame and verify it is in the fire position. Not so with the Vang.

I feel like I have done a poor job communicating my question.

I have always done this, my main question was/remains regarding drills like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55MHk8Q-2E

At 2:26ish, I would have gone to "SAFE" were I using an M4 type rifle to perform this drill.

I know you aren't going to b e running this high round-count of a drill in this format with a shotgun, but t his is the type of movement I am talking about. With a carbine, I'd safe for it, no questions asked. What about with the shotgun?

Edster
10-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Dagga Boy gave some very good and useful guidance during the recent one-day class in Dallas.

I really appreciated the structure of that course and his teaching style: Enough guidance to point me in the right direction followed by enough stress to force me to work things out.

I ended making a few minor adjustments to my safety manipulation.

Shooting an 870, I find it natural and useful to rotate the gun slightly counter-clockwise and place the stock on my deltoid as I'm coming off the target and putting the safety on. Doing this, the safety is easily accessible to my index finger with less "feeling around" (that's bad near a trigger). The trigger is also within my peripheral vision to help ensure I'm not poking in the wrong place.

A few other bonuses from this:

Resting the butt on the deltoid lets my right hand focus on manipulation rather than supporting the shotgun

With a two-point sling on the left side, it's easy to control the gun down into a slung position

I'm in something like a "short-stick" position from which I can still fire if necessary. Transition back to a full hold is quick, too.

If I have to diagnose a problem, I can see the chamber. If the chamber is empty, it's an easy position to drop in a shell.

David S.
10-27-2017, 09:31 PM
I'd be interested in what Tom Givens has to say on this too.

David S.
10-27-2017, 09:47 PM
FWIW. I haven't found a way to safe my 870 without breaking my grip. My safing technique is to rotate the gun inboard about 45*, and reach under the gun and apply the safety with my index finger. It seems quicker and less fumbly than reaching over the top with my thumb.

RevolverRob
10-27-2017, 11:01 PM
At 2:15'ish here in this old school Gunsite video on Tactical Shotgun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbJj6GUmois

The shooter engages, comes down, does a scan, breaks the firing hand, and safeties the shotgun. That's how it's done.

Bill Jeans (who may well be the demonstrator in that Gunsite Vid) shows it in greater detail here at 6:37-38 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP8-kS7I408

BehindBlueI's
10-27-2017, 11:35 PM
FWIW. I haven't found a way to safe my 870 without breaking my grip. My safing technique is to rotate the gun inboard about 45*, and reach under the gun and apply the safety with my index finger. It seems quicker and less fumbly than reaching over the top with my thumb.

We are trained to use the trigger finger from underneath as well. I reach under and re-safe before I dismount it from my shoulder.

NH Shooter
10-28-2017, 05:42 AM
The shooter engages, comes down, does a scan, breaks the firing hand, and safeties the shotgun. That's how it's done.

Bill Jeans (who may well be the demonstrator in that Gunsite Vid) shows it in greater detail here at 6:37-38 -

I find this works the best for me and my small hands.

gtae07
10-28-2017, 08:07 AM
When engaging multiple targets or shots on a single target, safety is off, until off target. If you have to move between targets, safety on, move, safety off. Basically, if I break the gun down to low ready, it gets safety on.

What you describe is how I found myself doing things in my first 3-gun match last week, at least with the rifle. If I broke cheek weld and/or it came off my shoulder, the safety went on. Seemed the most logical way to do things. Still working on getting consistent with that on the shotgun.

I suppose one could get really pedantic and re-engage the safety even between targets on the same sheet of paper, but going to that level seems a little silly.

Erick Gelhaus
10-28-2017, 02:04 PM
At 2:15'ish here in this old school Gunsite video on Tactical Shotgun -

In the second video, at the 6:37ish mark, Bill Jeans re-applies the safety by breaking his grip & reaching under the grip/trigger guard area with his thumb to do it. Pretty common, as is rolling the shooting hand off the grip and re-activating the safety with one's index finger.

Fwiw, the first video has Chris Caracci then Jack Furr with a brief cameo (coming out of the closest) by Bill Jeans before the former owner of Gunsite and then Ted Yost make their appearences.

HopetonBrown
10-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Louis Awerbuck had us ride the safety with our index finger, disengaging during presentation, then re-engage before slinging. I don't recall Rob Haught covering use of the safety at all.

txdpd
10-29-2017, 01:23 PM
At 2:26ish, I would have gone to "SAFE" were I using an M4 type rifle to perform this drill.

I know you aren't going to b e running this high round-count of a drill in this format with a shotgun, but t his is the type of movement I am talking about. With a carbine, I'd safe for it, no questions asked. What about with the shotgun?

If you're just dressing up like GI Joe on the weekend to play square range gun games and your goal is to just be fast, I wouldn't worry about using the safety. If the goal of the drill is to develop some sort of "tactical" gun handling skills, then the safety needs to go on. In the latter, the timer is there to measure individual progress and induce a measure of stress, but the total time on the drill is largely irrelevant and never trumps good safety practices.

Usually in the real world, engagements with firearms are short and decisive affairs, and hopefully the game is not over at the end of the gunfight. If it's not an ingrained practice that weapon could be subject to extensive handling and spend hours off safe.

GJM
10-29-2017, 05:06 PM
What is black and white for me, is when the shotgun is slung or the immediate shooting is over, the shotgun goes on safe or is put in condition three. Shades of gray cover how I use the safety when in the process of shooting.

RevolverRob
10-29-2017, 08:52 PM
If you're just dressing up like GI Joe on the weekend to play square range gun games and your goal is to just be fast, I wouldn't worry about using the safety.

This appears to largely be the case for the high-end competitive 3-gun guys.

I spent about an hour last night watching highlights from various shotgun stages for 3-gun from over the past 5-years. All of the competitors move with the guns having safeties off...BUT in an hour of footage, I watched only one stage where a single shooter moved with the shotgun, with the action closed on a live round and safety off. Because of the design of the stages, most guns are empty as shooters move between targets, and loading is occurring in movement or once the new position is established. The number of rounds for the targets needed is loaded and the gun is shot empty and moved empty from station to station. It was definitely quite interesting to watch.

All that said, if I'm not immediately shooting, the gun goes on safe. So in the case of the "Zig-Zag" carbine drill shown above, I would only break and safety where there is the deliberate backwards run. But I'm also not sure I would move that way (I know it's the point of that drill, but I'm not sure why I would do it with a shotgun)...

David S.
10-30-2017, 11:39 AM
It's worth noting that "combat" or "defensive" shotguns are being forced into a role that they are not intended for. Carbines, particularly the AR platform, are ergonomically designed to quickly activate the safety between shot strings (i.e. the zig-zag movement in your VTAC drill). Shotgun safeties, on the other hand, are not designed for that, and as such you can expect to give up some time when working them as you would a carbine.

Xrslug
10-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Louis Awerbuck had us ride the safety with our index finger, disengaging during presentation, then re-engage before slinging. I don't recall Rob Haught covering use of the safety at all.

This is also what the LAPD SWAT guys at ITTS taught during the shotgun course I attended there. Low ready, index finger on safety. Decision to shoot, disengage safety as muzzle comes up on target. Back to low ready, safety is reengaged. Relatedly, my one gripe with the Magpul 870 stock is that I can’t comfortably have a good hold on the pistolgrip portion of the stock and have the tip of my index finger on the safety in the low ready, because of the angle and position of the pistolgrip relative to the 870 safety and trigger. I have to take the safety off with the middle knuckle of my trigger finger, which I don’t find to be as positive.

RevolverRob
10-30-2017, 11:55 AM
It's worth noting that "combat" or "defensive" shotguns are being forced into a role that they are not intended for. Carbines, particularly the AR platform, are ergonomically designed to quickly activate the safety between shot strings (i.e. the zig-zag movement in your VTAC drill). Shotgun safeties, on the other hand, are not designed for that, and as such you can expect to give up some time when working them as you would a carbine.

I was actually thinking the same thing.

Remember folks - the shotgun - loaded with buckshot - is a weapon for dominating the ranges typically seen in pistol fighting, not rifle fighting. A shotgun loaded with slugs can be used to fill in some gap to ~100 yards or as a specialty tool for hunting/four-legged predator defense. It isn't a weapon meant to replace the role of a rifle or carbine in offensive weapon usage.

THAT said - I did find something interesting on the aftermarket - https://www.s2-usa.com/collections/frontpage/products/870-model-safety-selector-switch

To be honest - My initial response is "this looks like a hardware solution to a software problem", one that will also require a pistol-gripped stock. BUT I want to keep an open mind and I'm tempted to put together an 870 with a Mesa stock and this safety and try running it for a bit. After all, many argue The Gadget is a "hardware solution to a software problem", when we recognize that it is something that extends beyond that and is a piece of hardware that allows us to rewrite software to be better. Maybe this is a solution in a similar vein?

ETA: They have a Benelli safety too - https://www.s2-usa.com/products/benelli-safety-selector-switch

Xrslug
10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
That looks interesting. Let us know if you get one to test. One potential issue I see just eyeballing it is potential interference with the round closest to the stock in a sidesaddle. Hard to tell how far the safety selector protrudes out to the left.