PDA

View Full Version : Dry Fire reps... they add up...

hufnagel
10-25-2017, 08:57 PM
So lately I've been getting semi-serious about putting in dry fire rep time. I don't always get a session in every day (i'm 9 days for the month of October, but almost 4,900 reps over that time period.) I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to need to order some spare parts for my P30 soon, like a trigger return and hammer springs. :D

That's it; nothing else earth shattering.

GCBHM
10-25-2017, 09:07 PM
https://youtu.be/beOVo1HQd30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clobbersaurus
10-25-2017, 11:24 PM
So lately I've been getting semi-serious about putting in dry fire rep time. I don't always get a session in every day (i'm 9 days for the month of October, but almost 4,900 reps over that time period.) I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to need to order some spare parts for my P30 soon, like a trigger return and hammer springs. :D

That's it; nothing else earth shattering.

Parts wear won’t be as bad as you think, keep rockin’ it and report back in 90 days. :D

Worst thing for me is the tennis elbow in my left arm, but I have taken care of that with regular use if the TheraBand.

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Resistance-Tendonitis-Tendinitis-Epicondylitis/dp/B01MU2Y93T

Bigghoss
10-25-2017, 11:29 PM
This is why it's recommend to have one carry gun and an identical training/practice gun. If a part suddenly breaks on the training gun during dry fire or at the range it's not a big deal, order a replacement part or send the gun in for repair. If you only have the one gun, that can be a problem.

Ptrlcop
10-25-2017, 11:46 PM
This is why it's recommend to have one carry gun and an identical training/practice gun. If a part suddenly breaks on the training gun during dry fire or at the range it's not a big deal, order a replacement part or send the gun in for repair. If you only have the one gun, that can be a problem.

This.

I broke a striker on my duty glock during an unknown dry fire session. It was a week between live fire sessions. Striker broke somewhere in there and I was carrying a dead mans gun for 1-8 days... not smart.

RevolverRob
10-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Dryfire is the only thing keeping my gun skills from being completely non-existent.

I dryfire on average 3x a week for 20 minutes at a time. And when I don't dryfire for a couple of weeks, I notice it the instant I pick up the gun and go to fire. Whereas if I dryfire regularly, I can go cold to hot and know exactly where the gun should be hitting when the first round breaks the page.

The worst time in my adult life, was the first 8-months I lived in Chicago. Where I was gunless, and also completely without a GLO (gun-like object) to use for dryfire practice. Dryfire is like zen meditation for me and I can at least duplicate it, with an airsoft pistol, if I don't have my real gun available.

Bigghoss
10-26-2017, 12:03 AM
I also bought an airsoft Glock to practice with in my apartment, a good one that looks and feels exactly like the real thing. The trigger is really light though but it's still a nice thing to have to work into training.

hufnagel
10-26-2017, 06:46 AM

I have 3... got that aspect covered. :D

I have been meaning to put together a spare parts kit list, and consider placing an order to HKCS for them.

GCBHM
10-26-2017, 07:00 AM

Unless your only gun is a Glock. [emoji6]

hufnagel
10-26-2017, 07:05 AM
Unless your only gun is a Glock. [emoji6]

yea. having a glock is like having no gun at all. :D

GCBHM
10-26-2017, 07:07 AM
yea. having a glock is like having no gun at all. :D

You’re joking, of course. [emoji54]

lwt16
10-26-2017, 07:15 AM
Without a doubt, dry fire practice is probably my number one drill for accuracy and not pushing shots left with Glocks.

I dry fire a whole lot. My wife and son tire of the clicks and slide resets during t.v. time.

GCBHM
10-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Without a doubt, dry fire practice is probably my number one drill for accuracy and not pushing shots left with Glocks.

I dry fire a whole lot. My wife and son tire of the clicks and slide resets during t.v. time.

Check out the video I posted above. You don’t have to rack and click! [emoji54][emoji16]

PhillySoldier
10-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Wow you count & log dry fire? I thought I was anal with logging all my live fire sessions. I think Id scare myself to know how many times I dry fired my gun(s). I dont think its that big of a deal and not something anyone needs to run out and buy duplicates of all there guns for. If its a concern, keep some replacement springs and such on hand and simply fix as needed. With that said unless your getting light primer strikes I think its a good thing to break in things such as your hammer spring

lwt16
10-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Check out the video I posted above. You don’t have to rack and click! [emoji54][emoji16]

But aggravating family is 1/4 the fun of it!

Bigghoss
10-26-2017, 10:42 AM
I dont think its that big of a deal and not something anyone needs to run out and buy duplicates of all there guns for. If its a concern, keep some replacement springs and such on hand and simply fix as needed. With that said unless your getting light primer strikes I think its a good thing to break in things such as your hammer spring

I'm not saying have a dedicated dry-fire gun, I'm saying have one gun that gets vetted and then left loaded for carry/HD/duty and a separate gun that gets shot and trained with (and dry-fire) so that the training gun takes the wear and tear and your primary gun is fresh and less prone to breaking at the worst possible time. Then you don't have to worry about it. And then a third in case something happens to either of the first two.

PhillySoldier
10-26-2017, 10:49 AM
I'm not saying have a dedicated dry-fire gun, I'm saying have one gun that gets vetted and then left loaded for carry/HD/duty and a separate gun that gets shot and trained with (and dry-fire) so that the training gun takes the wear and tear and your primary gun is fresh and less prone to breaking at the worst possible time. Then you don't have to worry about it. And then a third in case something happens to either of the first two.

I see your perspective buddy and im not saying its wrong. I just have a differing view. I rather train w the gun I actually carry/use. I go to the range 2-3 times per week and although I bring multiple guns each time, I always do at least some firing w my primary weapon. Its nothing for me to change out a hammer spring etc if I start getting light primer strikes etc. In fact I just changed the hammer & recoil springs on my gun within the last week.

WobblyPossum
10-26-2017, 12:17 PM
I see your perspective buddy and im not saying its wrong. I just have a differing view. I rather train w the gun I actually carry/use. I go to the range 2-3 times per week and although I bring multiple guns each time, I always do at least some firing w my primary weapon. Its nothing for me to change out a hammer spring etc if I start getting light primer strikes etc. In fact I just changed the hammer & recoil springs on my gun within the last week.

I think a lot of the reasoning behind having a dedicated training gun is that if your signal that you need to do a parts swap is some kind of problem manifesting itself (light strikes, broken trigger spring, worn out recoil spring, etc) that problem may manifest itself in a defensive firearm use instead of at the range. Ptrlcop provided an excellent example. If your firing pin broke on the last round of your range session and you don't do a full detail strip of your gun after every time you shoot it, you won't know it broke until the next time you pull the trigger trying to fire off a round. If you're trying to fire off that round at a person because you need to shoot someone to prevent your own death, that's a pretty bad time to find out you have a broken firing pin.

P30
10-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Maintenance-relevant data from Todd Green's P30 test:

hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/150475-recommended-spare-parts-usp-expert.html#post1122843 (http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/150475-recommended-spare-parts-usp-expert.html#post1122843)

Irelander
10-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Is it beneficial for dry fire to stick something like a rubber band into the breech end of the barrel to set the slide slightly out of battery, then pull the trigger and have complete trigger movement but no click? Is this better practice than getting one click then mimicking a trigger pull on a dead trigger.

GCBHM
10-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Is it beneficial for dry fire to stick something like a rubber band into the breech end of the barrel to set the slide slightly out of battery, then pull the trigger and have complete trigger movement but no click? Is this better practice than getting one click then mimicking a trigger pull on a dead trigger.

Idk...I’ve never done that, so I really can’t speak to it, but, depending on band strength, it seems like it may work.