PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat SureShell carrier

Lon
10-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Anyone have this polymer side saddle? Not happy with my Esstac cards.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/SureShell-Carrier-6-Round-Rem-870_1100_1187-Left-Side-Polymer/productinfo/NW508/

SamueL
10-25-2017, 07:35 PM
That appears to be a Mesa Tactical side saddle that WC is reselling.

https://mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-polymer-carrier-for-remington-6-shell-12-ga/

We use the aluminum ones at work. Other than replacing the elastomer tubes, they do the job well. I suspect the polymer ones will get the job done. I have been considering getting a polymer one myself.

Lon
10-25-2017, 07:45 PM
That appears to be a Mesa Tactical side saddle that WC is reselling.

https://mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-polymer-carrier-for-remington-6-shell-12-ga/

We use the aluminum ones at work. Other than replacing the elastomer tubes, they do the job well. I suspect the polymer ones will get the job done. I have been considering getting a polymer one myself.

I was just looked by at the Mesa and wondered if they were the same. How hard is it to replace the tubes and how often does it need done?

SamueL
10-25-2017, 08:35 PM
The elastomer tubes are not hard to replace. Remove the carrier from the receiver, unscrew the back plate, and replace the elastomer tubes.

I can't give you a timeframe for replacement as there are several factors. I replace ours as needed, bascially when they no longer provide retention. You can rotate the tubes so the parts that become compressed from the shells are replaced with fresh elastomer. After a while, the tubes will have no more elasticity and will need replaced. I am replacing the elastomer tubes in ours after probably 8 years. I recently assumed responsibility of weapons maintenance and would not recommend going that long.

Lon
10-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Thanks. That helps.

Lester Polfus
10-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Anyone have this polymer side saddle? Not happy with my Esstac cards.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/SureShell-Carrier-6-Round-Rem-870_1100_1187-Left-Side-Polymer/productinfo/NW508/

What do you dislike about the Esstacs?

Lon
10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
What do you dislike about the Esstacs?

They don’t hold the shells very well. Even brass up. I guess I got spoiled with my 3gungear.com side saddles. Too bad they aren’t in business anymore.

Lester Polfus
10-25-2017, 09:31 PM
They don’t hold the shells very well. Even brass up. I guess I got spoiled with my 3gungear.com side saddles. Too bad they aren’t in business anymore.

Gotcha. Thanks.

txdpd
10-25-2017, 09:50 PM
I had some Esstacs that didn't hold shells well and they replaced them 2 for 1 with some new ones that have held shells fine. I had a Mesa saddle and it wasn't bad, as long as I remembered to take the shells out on my weekend the insert held up for two years.

10-27-2017, 02:58 PM
I am going to have to try one of these. I ran a Mesa several years back and eventually ditched it because I didn't feel like the shells were held securely enough, even with a new rubber insert. Outside of that though, I really liked it. The older versions, or at least the one I had, only had one insert though. From the pictures, it looks like these have two inserts. I may have to revisit it and see if that improves shell retention enough for me.

Lon
10-27-2017, 03:38 PM
I had some gift card $$ left over on amazon, so I ordered one of the polymer ones to try. For $22 I figured it was tough to pass up. I’ll update the thread after I get it with detailed pics.

Wake27
10-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Please do, I need a side saddle and this seems like a decent option, though the QD-C or whatever it's called looks kind of neat (but heavy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherman A. House DDS
10-28-2017, 11:24 AM
I like the Aridus Industries sidesaddle for a 6 shot solution, but I like the Mesa type for a 4 shot.

My issued 870 on the armored truck had an old adventurer’s Outpost polymer sidesaddle, and the daily use and continuous UV exposure made the plastic retainers (which my scientifically biased WAG tells me) contained UV labile halogens, which caused them to weaken with time. If you fired one round (with the spares brass down) it turned into a garage sale.

I like Tom Givens’ use of the Velcro shot card on the rear of the stock, OR a leather butt cuff. That puts the shells away from the torque and the axis of rotation of the gun. That allows you to carry brass down without losing shells all over the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk