PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Multitool

ASH556
10-24-2017, 04:11 PM
I’ve never had one. Some friends back in scouts had Gerbers. I’d like to get a quality one. Main concerns: pliers, wire cutter, Phillips and flat drivers, a punch for Glock pins would be cool but not a must have.

Clusterfrack
10-24-2017, 04:22 PM
I've had a few, but the Leatherman Wave (http://a.co/8OXgizy) is my favorite.

PNWTO
10-24-2017, 04:24 PM
I like my Leatherman Wave as a back-up to my SAK. I have broken a few Gerbers and seen a SOG one rust, but that was all years ago. I have heard really good things about the Victorinox SwissTool (?) but have no hands-on with them.

flyrodr
10-24-2017, 04:30 PM
I have several, but almost never carry one. I always have a small Swiss army knife in my pocket, and a single blade locking folder, but the multi-tool doesn't make the cut for carry. There's a 1911-specific one in my range bag (which almost never gets used), and I think one in my car (which likewise never gets used as there's a much handier small tool kit that I rely on there). I have one that's designed for fly fishing, as well as a nice fly fishing pocket knife; they're both at home. Instead, my fly vest has tippet nippers, a small sharpening stone for hooks and a hemostat for removing hooks.

So I've tried several, but just didn't feel the love.

flyrodr
10-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Sorry. Double tap.

H&KFanNC
10-24-2017, 04:45 PM
I liked all my multi tools. Mostly cause the were issued (free). Through hard use, I would expect the flat tip to wear out, same for the Phillips screwdriver.

I keep an AR specific Leatherman in my range bag. I like it and it comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamonL
10-24-2017, 05:18 PM
The Victorinox ones are nice.

critter
10-24-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm partial to the Leatherman Skeletool. I have several but this is the one I carry every day. Pliers, wire snips/stripper, 2x Phillips, 2x Flat, partial serrated blade. that's pretty much it.. well, also carabiner and bottle opener built into the handle. Just the stuff I actually need to take care of most pop-up situations. If it only had a Glock punch... :cool:

ETA:
Skeletool (https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Skeletool-Multitool-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000XU9NXW/ref=sr_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1508884219&sr=1-4&keywords=leatherman+skeletool)

Crawls
10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
I've had a few, but the Leatherman Wave (http://a.co/8OXgizy) is my favorite.

Ditto.

txdpd
10-24-2017, 05:33 PM
I'll second the Skeletool. I never carried a multitool for more than a week before the Skeletool, just too heavy and bulky for me.

I would recommend the CX version. The 154CM blade is worth the extra money over the 420HC blades. The 154cm still isn't a great blade, but it holds an edge a lot better than the 420hc ones. Texas Tool Crafters used to sell 154cm blades for $25.00, if they're still available you can upgrade a regular skeletool.

ASH556
10-24-2017, 06:21 PM
This one seems pretty cool. Thoughts or experiences?

https://www.brownells.com/emergency-survival-gear/tools/multi-tool/multitasker-series-3x-prod104805.aspx

leathermaneod
10-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Another vote for the Skeletool CX! I have two regular Skeletools that I carry regularly but I really want a CX!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redhat
10-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Like lots of guys here, I was issued many in the military...Gerber, SOG, Leatherman and used them daily. Bar none, the best I have found is the Victorinox...but you have to pay good money for it.

Cookie Monster
10-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Leatherman, pick your flavor.

I have carried a Skeletool never a full sized one, got them in all the cars though.

critter
10-24-2017, 10:00 PM
This one seems pretty cool. Thoughts or experiences?

https://www.brownells.com/emergency-survival-gear/tools/multi-tool/multitasker-series-3x-prod104805.aspx

That thing *is* pretty damn cool. I want one (surprise surprise). I can't imagine actually ripping off a properly installed castle nut with a multi-tool wrench, but, obviously, I've never made the attempt. I think, in reality, after a few days, weeks of thinking that's the coolest thing ever it would wind up in your bag but wouldn't be something you'd sport around with you ever day. Of course I could be dead wrong there.

critter
10-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Texas Tool Crafters used to sell 154cm blades for $25.00, if they're still available you can upgrade a regular skeletool.

Well, I didn't see a $25.00 154cm blade, but Oh yeah... now we're talking (https://txtoolcrafters.com/search?type=product&q=*skeletool%20blade*).

Gater
10-25-2017, 04:59 AM
Like lots of guys here, I was issued many in the military...Gerber, SOG, Leatherman and used them daily. Bar none, the best I have found is the Victorinox...but you have to pay good money for it.

My experience as well (coming from issued Leatherman tools). I really like my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X.

martin_j001
10-25-2017, 05:35 AM
I've had a few, but not that I ever really carried on my person daily. I keep a Leatherman Wave and a Multitasker Twist in my backpack that goes just about everywhere with me though. They have come in handy plenty both at work and at the range in the past.

Hambo
10-25-2017, 05:36 AM
I’ve never had one. Some friends back in scouts had Gerbers. I’d like to get a quality one. Main concerns: pliers, wire cutter, Phillips and flat drivers, a punch for Glock pins would be cool but not a must have.

I've had a number of Leatherman tools, plus a couple from SOG, Gerber, Victorinox. I still carry the original Leatherman design because it's relatively light and thin.

The Vic was really nice, kind of heavy, and the wire cutters were not the greatest. I can't remember what I was cutting, but the cutters were kind of fucked up after that. You can get tools with replaceable carbide cutters, but they're on the big/expensive side.

Multitools are the jack of all trades and masters of none, but are handy to have with you. Buy one that you can stand to carry, not necessarily the one with the most stuff. If you really need to do a lot of work with a specific tool, buy the specific tool.

SamAdams
10-25-2017, 08:37 AM
I have a bunch of Leathermans and a Swiss Tool. For me, the Leatherman Wave is about the biggest/heaviest multi-tool I'm likely to carry. I have bigger Leathermans and they see little use. I'm even more likely to throw the Wave into a pack than the bigger multi-tools.
I use multi tools for small, quick tasks and for emergencies. They don't match the capabilities of actual full size tools. For a car kit, I'd rather have a few of the latter.
I do carry a Swiss Army Knife and a small folding knife with me wherever I go. They offer the combination of utility and weight that is likely to meet my daily requirements.

beenalongtime
10-25-2017, 08:40 AM
I carry a pocket knife. I have an original Leatherman, as well as a Gerber that at the time, you could buy three different pliers heads for. Between OK bombing and 9/11, the carry aspect of them suffered, and they got relegated to the consoles of vehicles for rare use. I can keep a pocket knife, deep enough in the pocket to grab when needed, and it doesn't grab attention when not.
I also tend to get tools out of the toolbox in the car, when I need something like pliers, rather then the either tool.

LtDave
10-25-2017, 03:28 PM
The Victorinox Swisstool Spirit is my favorite multitool. Leatherman Core is a close second. Like some others, I don’t carry one daily. I carry a Victorinox Explorer SAK in my back pocket next to my wallet.

ASH556
10-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. At this point, with EDC being mentioned so much, I feel inclined to say that my intent is not to EDC a multi-tool. I work in an industry where tools are very prevalent. This is something to put in a pouch on my go-to/range OWB belt setup. With my armoring certs and experience, something like the multi-tasker with multiple firearm-specific implements is quite appealing. I do have a full tool box full of parts and tools dedicated to armoring needs, but sometimes it would be nice to just have something on my belt with more ready access without having to pull out the whole box.

leathermaneod
10-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. At this point, with EDC being mentioned so much, I feel inclined to say that my intent is not to EDC a multi-tool. I work in an industry where tools are very prevalent. This is something to put in a pouch on my go-to/range OWB belt setup. With my armoring certs and experience, something like the multi-tasker with multiple firearm-specific implements is quite appealing. I do have a full tool box full of parts and tools dedicated to armoring needs, but sometimes it would be nice to just have something on my belt with more ready access without having to pull out the whole box.

With this in mind, maybe look at the firearm specific Leatherman MUT. It has a punch, not sure but I’d guess it would work on Glocks...

critter
10-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Well now, with this addition, please allow me to be the ultimate enabler... you really need that cool ass AR tool for your bag. No question about it. It's a "must have" item for any serious shooter. :cool: