PDA

View Full Version : re-chambering carry ammo after dry fire

Gorris
10-24-2017, 06:47 AM
I have a question about re-chambering the same round in my carry gun. At the present moment I only have one handgun and I use it for everything including dry firing, range practice and concealed carrying. Dry firing is usually done every day give or take two. I rotate the carry rounds in the mag so its not the exact same round but is this going to hurt my carry rounds? I haven't noticed setback with any of my rounds. Is there a different way to go about re-chambering a round after dry fire practice or cleaning?

martin_j001
10-24-2017, 06:53 AM
I use a method that, if I remember correctly, I originally heard about from Claude Werner. Each time a round is to be chambered, I mark the back with a sharpie. When a round has 4 marks on it (a "cross" around the primer basically), it can no longer be rechambered. I rotate through the mag until all rounds have 4 marks on them. This full mag is then shot at the range on my next trip out, and new rounds are loaded up to repeat the process.

RJ
10-24-2017, 07:10 AM
Some additional info here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13191-Effect-on-Ammo-of-Frequently-Reloading-HD-Weapon

I use the method suggested by martin_j001.

Gorris
10-24-2017, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try this because this seems a lot more reasonable and cheaper than never re-chambering a round.

voodoo_man
10-24-2017, 07:41 AM
I've been rechambering my carry / duty ammo for more than a decade/daily. Never had a single issue, highly doubt I'll ever have a single issue. Use quality ammo and you won't either.

Gorris
10-24-2017, 07:47 AM
I've been rechambering my carry / duty ammo for more than a decade/daily. Never had a single issue, highly doubt I'll ever have a single issue. Use quality ammo and you won't either.

I carry HST 124gr. which is high quality to my understanding.

voodoo_man
10-24-2017, 08:49 AM
I carry HST 124gr. which is high quality to my understanding.

I had HST for duty ammo for many years, it's good.

I'd only recommend cycling out your carry ammo once a year or if it's been in water for a long period of time.

Nephrology
10-24-2017, 08:53 AM

You definitely can have an issue depending on the caliber and firearm type, even with good quality ammo.

Way way back when I first got my carry permit, I carried a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP. I definitely noticed bullet setback with repeat chambering; likely a product of the nose of the round hitting the feed ramp. 9mm in Glock pistols, not so much of an issue. I still try to avoid it out of principle.

voodoo_man
10-24-2017, 08:58 AM
You definitely can have an issue depending on the caliber and firearm type, even with good quality ammo.

Way way back when I first got my carry permit, I carried a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP. I definitely noticed bullet setback with repeat chambering; likely a product of the nose of the round hitting the feed ramp. 9mm in Glock pistols, not so much of an issue. I still try to avoid it out of principle.

A 1911 having an issue with something? I'm surprised /s

Seriously though, I've done this with a gen2 17, multiple gen3/4 19s, gen3 21 and now a gen3 17. Zero issues.

HCM
10-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Pistol rounds can be re-chambered a few times and be fine.

Bullet set back is one issue. Repeated "taps" on the primer causing failures to fire are another potential issue. There is a documented case of this occurring with a pistol round in an LE incident but follow up investigation revealed the Officer had been unloading and reloading the same round daily for nearly a year.

Primer "tap" is more of an issue with AR's due to free floating firing pin. Rifle rounds in an AR are one and done for me.

Nephrology
10-24-2017, 09:15 AM

Seriously though, I've done this with a gen2 17, multiple gen3/4 19s, gen3 21 and now a gen3 17. Zero issues.

I believe you. I've never had any setback issues with my 9mm glocks either - just that 1911 with 230gr Gold Dots.

I was broke and carrying a 1911 so I definitely rechambered my cartridges more than a few times... Probably dozens.

HCM
10-24-2017, 09:26 AM
I believe you. I've never had any setback issues with my 9mm glocks either - just that 1911 with 230gr Gold Dots.

I was broke and carrying a 1911 so I definitely rechambered my cartridges more than a few times... Probably dozens.

In the GA case tehnofficer likely chambered the round at least 200 times. He had small kids and unloaded / r-loaded his duty pistol every day. This is why we issue our people lock boxes instead of cable locks.

OnionsAndDragons
10-24-2017, 10:20 AM

Bullet set back is one issue. Repeated "taps" on the primer causing failures to fire are another potential issue. There is a documented case of this occurring with a pistol round in an LE incident but follow up investigation revealed the Officer had been unloading and reloading the same round daily for nearly a year.

Primer "tap" is more of an issue with AR's due to free floating firing pin. Rifle rounds in an AR are one and done for me.
Tom Givens is currently not recommending more than 2 re chambering due to the possibility of multiple hard impacts crumbling the primer wafer. Remember that upon chambering, that round is taking 3-4 hard impacts from the breech face, feed ramp and slide locking up.

I would bet his rec is on the conservative side of things, and Claude's method is likely pretty safe. I mark my cases with a sharpie and will dump them into the training bin after the second or third mark. So far I have only had one FtFire from one of these rounds and it was with Golden Sabre from when I still carried a 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
10-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Same. No measurable setback with my 147 HST.

Wondering Beard
10-24-2017, 10:32 AM
When I carried a G23, it took about ten rechamberings for the bullet (federal 165gr Tac) to set back.

4gallonbucket
10-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Tom Givens is currently not recommending more than 2 re chambering due to the possibility of multiple hard impacts crumbling the primer wafer. Remember that upon chambering, that round is taking 3-4 hard impacts from the breech face, feed ramp and slide locking up.

I would bet his rec is on the conservative side of things, and Claude's method is likely pretty safe. I mark my cases with a sharpie and will dump them into the training bin after the second or third mark. So far I have only had one FtFire from one of these rounds and it was with Golden Sabre from when I still carried a 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So does anyone else out there just follow the slide home softly on a full magazine to gently feed the top round in the chamber? I follow it up with an open palm to the backplate (gadget in my case) to make sure I’m in battery, of course and then top the magazine back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAZ
10-24-2017, 11:11 AM
I use a method that, if I remember correctly, I originally heard about from Claude Werner. Each time a round is to be chambered, I mark the back with a sharpie. When a round has 4 marks on it (a "cross" around the primer basically), it can no longer be rechambered. I rotate through the mag until all rounds have 4 marks on them. This full mag is then shot at the range on my next trip out, and new rounds are loaded up to repeat the process.

This ^^.

I’ve measured and measured OAL in my Glocks, MP9, P30 and VP9 and have yet to note any setback (Hornady, HST and Gold Dot). I still do the above for a few reasons. 1. Better safe than sorry. 2 Primer damage and better safe than sorry. 3. If you dry fire enough it should give you a stream of defensive rounds to run through during live fire days. This IMO is probably just as important as the safety ones.

Irelander
10-24-2017, 11:59 AM

I do this as well. I figure if rounds in a revolver can take 4 or 5 solid whacks from the other rounds going off then my 9mm rounds can take 4 or 5.

Gorris
10-24-2017, 12:12 PM
There is a lot of good info here. I think I will follow suite and start marking my casing with a sharpie. Thats basically 2 months of reloading everyday before I would wear out a single mag in my carry weapon.

Gorris
10-24-2017, 12:13 PM
I had HST for duty ammo for many years, it's good.

I'd only recommend cycling out your carry ammo once a year or if it's been in water for a long period of time.

Do you still carry HST? If not, is there a reason why you switched? The only issue I have with it, is its super hard to find on the shelves. Seems to always be out of stock.

WobblyPossum
10-24-2017, 12:39 PM
I also use the Claude Werner method of marking the cartridges with a sharpie. I have separate carry and training guns and carry two spare magazines so I've never actually come close to rechambering the same carry rounds four times before I shoot them off and cycle the ammo once a year. By the time I'm ready to shoot off the ammo I've carried for the past year, I have maybe a mag and a half of rounds that have one mark on them.

Nephrology
10-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Do you still carry HST? If not, is there a reason why you switched? The only issue I have with it, is its super hard to find on the shelves. Seems to always be out of stock.

sgammo.com and bonefroggunclub.com routinely stock HST for very reasonable prices.

TiroFijo
10-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Lots of good advise.

I would like to add that (for pistols, where primer is not an issue) depends on:

- Feeding profile/caliber. Some guns in some calibers are "hit" the ogive harder against the ramp than others while loading.
- Crimp. Normally quality defensive ammo has more than adecuate crimp for several loads from the mag, but it can vary from lot to lot. Trust but verify.

voodoo_man
10-24-2017, 03:44 PM

In my off duty mag I carry various rounds, one of which is an HST.

My dept switched from HST to a winchester LE-specific round (though you can buy it anywhere), probably because of $$.

Kyle Reese
10-24-2017, 04:30 PM
sgammo.com and bonefroggunclub.com routinely stock HST for very reasonable prices.Yup. 50 round boxes of HST in 9x19 are $17.75. Cheap enough to shoot a box on a regular basis.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

critter
10-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Instituted something similar back in the 90's when I had a Corbon .40 set waaaaay back. Possibly back far enough to have a severe mishap had I actually fired the weapon. It didn't happen gradually (noticeably anyway). Just looked fine one day, and was driven back into the casing the next. Freaked me right on out. I had reloaded that same cartridge many times. I guess it just loosened up and gave up the ghost. I haven't been marking them, but have swapped them out regularly.

I hadn't heard of screwing up the primers until reading this thread. I may have to be a little more deliberately diligent with my methodology moving forward, you know, Murphy and all.

JustOneGun
10-24-2017, 05:31 PM
I have not seen a problem with my GD's in Glock's. But some platforms do cause problems and it's a, "Thing"

DocGKR
10-24-2017, 05:50 PM
The problems with repeatedly chambering rounds has also been noted in OCONUS combat the past decade and a half. Below is a comment written by a highly skilled combat veteran regarding his experience fighting OCONUS with ammo that had been re-chambered:

“My first shooting in Iraq I threw my M4A1 on semi and ATTEMPTED to fire a controlled pair (first round functioned striking the threat and the second round did not function). I then transitioned to my secondary (Glock 19 shooting ball) and had a failure to fire on my first round....I was Waaaaaay behind the power curve at this point. At this point I was contemplating all of my various bad life decisions which had lead me to that point in my life and grabbed an M240B and solved the problem. I AM VERY LUCKY TO STILL BE UPRIGHT AND BREATHING TODAY....the cause of these malfunctions you ask? Repeated chamberings of the same ammo. I made a decision that day that my life was more important than following archaic rules written by those who sit behind desks and started shitcanning rounds after I was forced to clear weapons on U.S. Military installations. The .gov can fuckin bill me.”

GyroF-16
10-24-2017, 06:39 PM
The problems with repeatedly chambering rounds has also been noted in OCONUS combat the past decade and a half. Below is a comment written by a highly skilled combat veteran regarding his experience fighting OCONUS with ammo that had been re-chambered:

Okay- I was about to comment about measuring rounds with a caliper and not seeing any measurable setback, so no worries...
Then I read this and... wow. A situation I never want to be in, especially since my secondary weapon is a SF pen. Guess I’ll be tracking chambered rounds now.

HCM
10-24-2017, 07:41 PM
In 2011, a Gwinnett county Georgia LEO had a round fail to fire during a use of force incident as a result of repeatedly cycling and loading the same round over and over. An LE teletype was sent out regarding the incident.

You can read the teletype here: http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2012/03/08/ammunition-failure-warning/

Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department
Training Bulletin
January 1, 2012

In September of 2011, a GCPD officer was involved in a situation which quickly became a use of deadly force incident. When the officer made the decision to use deadly force, the chambered round in his duty pistol did not fire. Fortunately, the officer used good tactics, remembered his training and cleared the malfunction, successfully ending the encounter.

The misfired round, which had a full firing pin strike, was collected and was later sent to the manufacturer for analysis. Their analysis showed the following:

“…..the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times.”

GCPD also sent an additional 2000 rounds of the Winchester 9mm duty ammunition to the manufacturer. All 2000 rounds were successfully fired.

In discussions with the officer, we discovered that since he has small children at home, he unloads his duty weapon daily. His routine is to eject the chambered round to store the weapon. Prior to returning to duty he chambers the top round in his primary magazine, then takes the previously ejected round and puts it back in the magazine. Those two rounds were repeatedly cycled and had been since duty ammunition was issued in February or March of 2011, resulting in as many as 100 chambering and extracting cycles. This caused an internal failure of the primer, not discernable by external inspection.

This advisory is to inform all sworn personnel that repeated cycling of duty rounds is to be avoided. As a reminder, when loading the weapon, load from the magazine and do not drop the round directly into the chamber. If an officer’s only method of safe home storage is to unload the weapon, the Firearms Training Unit suggests that you unload an entire magazine and rotate those rounds. In addition, you should also rotate through all three duty magazines, so that all 46 duty rounds are cycles, not just a few rounds. A more practical method of home storage is probably to use a trigger lock or a locked storage box.

DocGKR
10-24-2017, 11:15 PM
The most practical and safe way of storing a daily carried handgun is to remove the holster along with the still HOLSTERED firearm from the belt and place the holster and holstered firearm into an appropriate lockable storage box.

Likewise, get an identical firearm to exclusively use for training so the duty/daily carried firearm is not excessively handled, stressed, or worn-out.

Mike C
10-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Not to detract from the thread but after reading the postings here I think I want to change my method of storage to loaded and chambered vs cycling rounds out. It's just that I have a little one in the house and another one on the way so I am a bit apprehensive to store a loaded firearm. Are there any favorites that are felt or proven to be the most secure against little hands? I presently have two GunVault MV500's then my larger safe. I am thinking about just throwing my carry gun in one of the MV500's at the end of the day and then putting it in the larger safe while keeping another identical gun with two mags in the other lock box and just putting it in an accessible location.

HCM
10-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Not to detract from the thread but after reading the postings here I think I want to change my method of storage to loaded and chambered vs cycling rounds out. It's just that I have a little one in the house and another one on the way so I am a bit apprehensive to store a loaded firearm. Are there any favorites that are felt or proven to be the most secure against little hands? I presently have two GunVault MV500's then my larger safe. I am thinking about just throwing my carry gun in one of the MV500's at the end of the day and then putting it in the larger safe while keeping another identical gun with two mags in the other lock box and just putting it in an accessible location.

We issue these : http://www.franzenint.com/?product=armloc-ii-magnum-handgun-safety-system

But a few days ago LL started a thread on this topic HERE:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?28196-Help-me-pick-a-bedroom-pistol-safe

Mike C
10-25-2017, 09:09 AM
I completely missed that thread thank you. The issued lockbox looks fantastic.

Gorris
10-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Went to the range today and put a mark on the chambered round then put it in the bottom of the magazine. Once the rounds have 4 marks they will go in the range pile. I will also be ordering some of the defensive rounds online to save money.

PhillySoldier
10-26-2017, 07:49 AM
As far as my carry gun, I do chamber/unchamber a round when entering/exiting the house. This is mainly due to this being my only gun that isnt secured in a lock box and just sort of follows me around the house. Even if not for this, I would still wind up chambering even more often with 2-4 dry fire practices thoughout the night. I have leg problems so will periodically pace around to walk it off, I usually make this my dry fire practice. Hence the frequent amounts.

Anyway my normal routine is this, on the weekends when I hit the range I will rotate my top round to the bottom of the mag. So on average it will be chambered multiple times throughout the week before being rotated. I cant say I do it every week but I try to remember too. I have seen times (when I didnt rotate them) it visibly get setback and others that I didnt visibly see but measured the difference.

As a personal rule all my carry ammo is fired off and replaced at least twice per year. I usually wind up doing it about 3 times per year but clock changes (forward or back) is my personal reminder to change ammo.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
10-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Do it with one of the 357 Sig models from Glock and let us know how things go.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
10-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Instituted something similar back in the 90's when I had a Corbon .40 set waaaaay back. Possibly back far enough to have a severe mishap had I actually fired the weapon. It didn't happen gradually (noticeably anyway). Just looked fine one day, and was driven back into the casing the next. Freaked me right on out. I had reloaded that same cartridge many times. I guess it just loosened up and gave up the ghost. I haven't been marking them, but have swapped them out regularly.

And therein lies the problem with 'rotating' chambered rounds, even if they measure perfect OAL moments before you rechamber them... that LAST CYCLE you just did putting that round in the chamber CANNOT BE VERIFIED to have not caused dangerous setback. Therefore, there is no way of knowing any time you are practicing this that the one you just chambered is OK to fire.

I tend to agree with Tim Sundles (as so often I do for things ammo related) of Buffalo Bore, who claims you should probably throw a round away that's been chambered more than twice...

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=171

"Bullet “Set Back” In Semi-Auto Pistol Cartridges
Bullet “Set Back” In Semi-Auto Pistol Cartridges
Causes, Dangers and Remedies

CHAMBERING IS VIOLENT

When semi-auto pistols chamber a cartridge, it is a violent action to the cartridge that applies undesirable forces to the cartridge i.e. the slide moves rearward at hyper velocity, bottoms out and comes forward just as fast as it moved rearward, picks up a cartridge from the magazine lips and slams that cartridge, nose first, into the feed ramp and then up into the chamber and into battery. Depending on how the bullet nose shape/profile fits with the angle and other dimensions of the feed ramp, anywhere from a great deal of damage to no damage can be done to the cartridge. The most common type of damage is what we call “bullet Set Back”. This means that because the bullet nose was slammed into the feed ramp, the bullet may have been driven more deeply into the casing……again, there is no way to measure the “Set Back” ahead of time as each make and model of pistol, will use differing feed ramp angles and dimensions and each bullet nose profile will match-up differently with each feed ramp.

SET BACK IS DANGEROUS

Bullet “Set Back” is dangerous. Most pistol cartridges have casings with very small powder capacity, so if you drive the bullet more deeply into the case, it crowds that limited powder capacity, which is the very same dynamic as adding powder, even though you did not actually add powder. So your chamber pressures will rise above what they were before that bullet was Set Back. If you are already firing a high pressure load and your bullet gets Set Back, your pressures may raise beyond what the case web or the barrel can withstand. This is not safe to the shooter or that pistol.

HAND CYCLING DOES NOT REPLICATE FIRING

Friends, Why is it that some folks insist on chambering and then rechambering and then rechambering the same cartridge over and over? If you chamber that same cartridge more than once, you should consider throwing it away. Since we are on this subject, hand chambering a cartridge to check the feeding/cycling characteristics is a waste of your time and cycling that slide by hand will not replicate the cycling and feeding characteristics of actually firing the gun……hand chambering tells you nothing except how the gun cycles any given ammo when hand chambering…….which means nothing about how the gun will cycle with that ammo when it is actually fired………never mind, you are probably ruining your ammo. Then, after hand chambering that poor cartridge multiple times and noticing it is getting shorter due to bullet Set Back, I’ll get the nasty email telling me I do not know how to make proper ammo. The situation I’ve described above is purely user error and not the fault of the ammo or the pistol.

Actually firing the pistol in question with the very ammo in question is the only way to learn how that pistol will function with that ammo—there is no other way to know.

AVOIDING BULLET SET BACK

How can we remedy bullet Set Back? Again, the potential for Set Back varies from gun to gun and with various bullet nose profiles mating with various feed ramps, but there are things we can do to make Set Back less prevalent. Straight walled semi-auto pistol cartridges are designed (the 357 Sig and 30 Luger have shoulders to head space on, so this does not apply to them, but only to straight walled casings) to head space on the case mouth, so you should not apply a heavy crimp to that case mouth, like you can with revolver cartridges. Instead, you can to two things; you can undersize the casing so that when a bullet is seated/loaded into that casing there is substantial case tension on the bullet shank, thus holding the bullet in place firmly…..not as firmly as a decent roll crimp though. Also, if you can find a powder with the correct density/burn rate, you can fill that casing with a powder that has to be slightly compressed by the seated bullet. This gives that bullet nowhere to “Set Back”. The bullet may still drive slightly deeper into the casing, but it will be slight and should not be sufficient to raise pressures. Of course finding a powder that will give the velocities you want at the pressures you can live with that is flash suppressed and fills the casing sufficiently, with a given bullet weight/length, can be very difficult.

In short do not keep rechambering the same cartridge over and over, unless you are willing to throw away that cartridge after a couple chambering’s.

Let discuss one very current and prevalent pistol/cartridge combination that causes dangerous Set Back. Years ago (as of this writing-11-01-15) Sig introduced the 357 Sig. cartridge chambered in their famed P229 pistol. The combination of the Sig pistol mated with the 357 Sig. cartridge works and works very well with almost zero bullet Set Back caused with multiple rechambering of the same cartridge as the magazine was designed to sit high inside the frame, so when the slide comes forward to pick-up a new cartridge, that cartridge is fed almost straight into the chamber with very little feed ramp contact. Sig designed this cartridge specifically for their pistol and did it well………Enter Glock! From the onset of this discussion I need to make it clear that I use and rely (stake my life) on Glock carry pistols, except those models of Glock that fire the 357 Sig. I am going to speak in very general terms on this subject, so I do not end up writing a book here. Glock basically used their standard designed 40 S&W pistol models to chamber (retrofit) in the 357 Sig. This design does not cause the magazine to sit high in the frame like the Sig. P229, so when that Glock slide slams home and picks up a cartridge from the magazine, it rams that cartridge into the feed ramp and whereas the Sig. P229 will not cause bullet Set Back, the Glock design exacerbates Set Back. This situation is due in part to the design of the 357 Sig. cartridge having a very short neck, which even if you undersize that neck prior to bullet seating, (and we do) it is not long enough to give a tension fit to the entire bullet shank and there is very little of anything holding that 357 Sig. bullet in place in the casing, thus it is easily driven back into the case upon chambering in the Glock models. Because of the way Glock pistols work (don’t work) with the 357 Sig. cartridge, we have considered not loading 357 Sig. ammo as the Glocks are cheaper than the Sig. P229 and therefore they have become very prevalent in the market place and I get tired of nasty emails accusing our 357 Sig. ammo of being prone to bullet Set Back in Glock pistols, especially by the folks that insist on rechambering that same cartridge over and over. Now, I need to be very clear again………Glock, like any maker of any product, will over time, modify (upgrade) their pistol models that fire the 357 Sig. cartridge. So what I have just written, will probably not apply to Glock pistols chambered in 357 Sig. forever. However, at this writing, (11-01-15) what I have written, does apply across the board to Glock pistols that are chambered for the 357 Sig. cartridge. Again, keep in mind that I love and rely on Glock pistols for many uses in many chambering’s, but not when chambered in 357 Sig., as of today. Do I need to say again, that I really like Glock pistols in all other chambering’s!?

Hopefully, this little essay has explained, in general terms, the dynamics of bullet Set Back and will be of some use to our customers.

As always, God bless and good shooting.

Tim"

Unobtanium
10-27-2017, 04:58 AM
It depends on what you carry. If you carry an outdated design like a 1911, you will notice setback fairly soon vs. something like a Glock/M&P/VP9, etc. It also matters what ammo you carry. Different ammo resists setback to varying degree. There is no "correct" number of times. It varies.

Robinson
10-27-2017, 07:47 AM
It depends on what you carry. If you carry an outdated design like a 1911, you will notice setback fairly soon vs. something like a Glock/M&P/VP9, etc. It also matters what ammo you carry. Different ammo resists setback to varying degree. There is no "correct" number of times. It varies.

I've never noticed setback of HST rounds chambered in my outdated 9mm 1911s. Even so, I only rechamber the same round once or twice just in case.

Mark D
11-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Since I heard about the LEO who had a ammo-related malfunction, I've used the magic marker method too. Four black marks and that round goes to the bottom of the mag, to be fired on the next range session.

However I recently picked up a "training gun" which is nearly identical to my carry gun. Unloading my carry gun is no longer needed before daily dryfire.

GlockenSpiel
11-28-2017, 06:55 PM
I have seen noticeable setback with Federal HST 124 and 147 grain in a Glock 19 and 43. It takes at least half a dozen chamberings I'd say, but it absolutely does happen. What I have been doing is dropping the round into the box next to a fresh one to see if it was noticeably shorter (then throwing the round away if it was), but I like the sound of the sharpie method and will try that.

I have seen some people say they put the round in a cup to shoot at the range once they see visible setback, and I don't like that idea - taking rounds you already know have a problem and rechambering them again, then shooting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk