PDA

View Full Version : First 3-gun match - debrief, lessons learned, observations

gtae07
10-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Shot my first 3-gun match today. Had a great time but man I'm beat.

Today was 5 stages. I did the best on the last stage--two small poppers and 10 bowling pins at around 100 yards for the rifle, then a spinner with the shotgun, and run some more to a set of steel plates for pistol. I got hits with fewer shots on the rifle stage than anyone else I saw shoot that stage, and got the spinner going with three shots. I don't know how my absolute time played out but I think it was my best performance of the day (relative to everyone else on the stage).

Worst stage, I missed two rifle shots and a pistol shot (all on paper) and both of the flying clays.

I also received an injury--I was resetting one of the steel falling targets, and it fell again and hit the inside of my elbow. Got a nice little bruise and some blood for that one. Another guy patched me up with a pad and some gauze and tape.

More observations:
I need a LOT more work on rapid pistol shots. Didn't do terrible there but not what I should be managing with the pistol practice I've been trying to do. In fact, I need to work on rapid shots period.
My shotgun needs to get broken in and I need a better loading method than "grab one shell at a time from a cargo pocket". It needs a magazine tube extension, too.
The people that come to these are great, helpful, friendly folks that will loan you anything you need to get through the day. I hope to be able to pay it forward in the future.

Lessons learned:
Make sure your red dot is turned up to appropriate brightness before starting your first round. I had it dimmed for night/low light, couldn't see it, and wound up transitioning to cowitnessed irons (small aperture, check that too!) on the first stage.
Bring sunscreen!
Get a cart for all the stuff--one guy was generous enough to share space in his cart (notes on the cart: a beach umbrella and folding chair are wonderful ideas).
Bring more water--half a gallon wasn't enough.
Pack some snacks next time. I was so hungry when I left that I ate at McDonalds on the way home and didn't care...

gtae07
10-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Results are in... 13th of 23. And my thoughts on the last stage were correct; I placed 7th on that one. Let's not talk about one or two of the other stages :p

Looking at the total scores, my biggest goofs were the misses on that one stage, and just my incredibly slow shotgun work. A larger magazine tube would have helped, as well as a better loading system, and if it had been broken in. Just the shotgun fixes probably would have moved me up a place, and not missing targets would have gotten me another one. Oh well, stuff to practice. I guess it's not too bad for a rank beginner...

Darth_Uno
10-22-2017, 08:17 PM
13th out of 23, not bad at all. Just showing up the first time and getting out of your comfort zone is half the battle.