PDA

View Full Version : Week 239: Acceleration

Mr_White
10-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Week 239: Acceleration

Results may be posted until November 20th, 2017.

Designed by: JV
Range: 7 yards
Target: 8" circle, IPSC A-zone, or sheet of paper
Start Position: mid-draw (see below)
Rounds Fired: varies

The goal of this drill is to push draw speed both in terms of mechanical and visual control of the pistol.

You will need a shot timer with a PAR time function.

First, time yourself to draw and get six shots on your target at 7yd. If you do not get all six hits on your first run, repeat until you get a time for six shots, six hits. Write this time down. It will serve as a reference.

Next, you'll begin the actual Acceleration drill.

Start position for each string of fire will be the mid point of your drawstroke where your support hand contacts the gun. You are specifically working on improving your draw so don't cheat yourself. Keep this starting position constant throughout the drill.

Set your timer to a PAR of 1.0 seconds.

For the first string of fire, on the buzzer present the gun from your starting position and fire one round. Repeat for a total of ten runs (ten rounds). Record the number of hits and any instances when you went over PAR.

If you got at least 90% of your hits under PAR during string one, you'll move on to the second string. On the buzzer present the gun from your starting position and fire two rounds. Repeat for a total of ten runs (twenty rounds). Record the number of hits and any instances when you went over PAR. Note: the PAR time does not change, you just have to get more hits within the same amount of time.

If you got at least 90% of your hits under PAR during string two, you'll move on to the third string. On the buzzer present the gun from your starting position and fire three rounds. Repeat for a total of ten runs (thirty rounds). Record the number of hits and any instances when you went over PAR.

Repeat this process adding one shot to each presentation (ten tries at 4 per, then ten tries at 5 per, etc.) until you can no longer get 90% of your hits within the PAR time.

Once you've reached the failure point, reshoot the test from the beginning of the drill: draw and fire six shots on your target from 7yd. Record your results and compare with your starting time.

If you cannot draw from the holster, instead use a ready position for the entire drill (both the tests before & after and the Acceleration drill).

If you cannot consistently get at least two hits on the target within the 1.0 second PAR time, increase the PAR by half a second and complete the entire exercise at that PAR time instead.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

- starting position for the "test" phases (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
- number of misses for each string
- number of times over PAR for each string
- time for pre-drill 6 shot "test"
- time for post-drill 6 shot "test"

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

WobblyPossum
10-21-2017, 05:45 PM
- starting position for the "test": concealed AIWB under a closed front button front shirt

- number of misses for each string
I could only fire one round within he 1s par and I couldn’t even do that guaranteed. I missed 3 shots. Only 4/10 were hits under par. I missed the portion of the instructions where I was supposed to use a 1.5s par time for my skill level

- number of times over PAR for each string
I went over par 3 times by a couple hundredths of a second each

- time for pre-drill 6 shot "test":
Average time for 6 hits was 1.72s

- time for post-drill 6 shot "Test”
I pushed too hard and got 3 hits and 3 misses. My average time was 1.52

I wasn’t sure what was meant by starting he strings at the position where my support hand contacts the gun. I didn’t know if that meant having a complete two handed grip or just at the point where my support hand index finger indexes on the trigger guard so I chose the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holmes168
10-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Beretta PX4CC w/a crappy $10 Galco holster
I shot the Bill Drill in 5.28 with 6/6 hits. I had shot the Gabe White Standards to start my day- and this was in line with what I shot previously. Not sure I had done the Bill Drill @ 7 yards until today.
Shot from the high ready.
First string
- time for pre-drill 6 shot "test"- 5.28
- number of misses for each string- 8 misses at 1.0 PAR
- number of times over PAR for each string- over PAR 9 times
- number of misses for each string- 9 misses at 1.5 PAR
- number of times over PAR for each string- over PAR 0 times
- number of misses for each string- 7 misses at 1.5 PAR
- number of times over PAR for each string- over PAR 0 times
- time for post-drill 6 shot "test"- something worked......3.76 seconds from concealment @ 7 yards 6 out of 6 hits

This was a fun drill- I ended up shooting another Bill Drill- this time at 3.51 all hits, but @ 5 yards
- number of misses @ 5 yards and 1.0 PAR time- only 1
- number of times over PAR for each string @ 5 yards and 1.0 PAR time- 6

From what I can see on this drill- I need to test myself at 7 yards, but build confidence at 5 yards. I usually keep my DOTW at 5 yards or less- mainly for confidence reasons. I realize where my skills are at right now- 7 yards is a stretch goal with 5 yards being my target goal. More dry fire and DEFINITELY a better holster.

Xhado
10-28-2017, 04:48 PM
- starting position for the "test" phases (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
AIWB concealed under a polo.

- number of misses for each string: 0
- number of times over PAR for each string: 2
- time for pre-drill 6 shot "test": 4.59
- time for post-drill 6 shot "test": 4.12

Didn't pass the first string, tried a couple of reps in round 2 but stopped since I was just wasting my time.

http://i.imgur.com/S8Dx0J8h.jpg (https://imgur.com/S8Dx0J8)

holmes168
11-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Shot a Bill Drill @ 6.61 6 out of 6. Then only shot one string of 10 rounds, PAR at 1.5.

PX4CC, crappy Galco holster, shot from the low ready

- number of misses for each string- 1
- number of times over PAR for each string- 1
- time for pre-drill 6 shot "test"- 6.61 no misses
- time for post-drill 6 shot "test"- 4.57 5 out of 6

Great drill- i went with only one string at a PAR of 1.5 based on the scores the last time I shot. Missed my first shot on the string, then on the second shot- I was over PAR. After that- it went great.

Duelist
11-13-2017, 11:27 PM
This one intrigued me, and I really wanted to do it right, but ... I'm way too slow.

GLOCK 26 gen 3.

Did the Bills from the same ready position as the shorter strings. First one was 5.46, six hits.
The next ten were all singles from the ready position, and varied from 1.29-2.10, and only had 5/10 hits. The 2.10 was a miss, sadly and pathetically.
I didnt even bother with trying to cram more rounds through in the same amount of time I was already failing miserably. Just did another Bill. 5.76, 3/6 hits. Said, crap, that sucked, and ran another one. 7.11, 5/6. Better, but slow. Did another. 6.15, 5/6.

Had enough beating myself up for the day and moved on to other things. I'll definitely come back to this. Maybe I'll run it with my Beretta and see if anything is better.

scw2
11-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Ran this with a G19 from concealment AIWB.

I was overly conservative to start: First attempt was 5.12 sec with -1 called. Re-ran and got a 3.59 sec slow and clean run

String 1 I got 9 of 10. String 2 I only went 6/10 with some misses and some over time. I ran it again just to see if I could improve, and ended up with 8 or 9/10, with 1 overtime and one possibly missed.

Shot the test at the end, with 2.55 seconds clean. The 1.24 second draw was a bit slower than I like, and I should probably focus work on bill drills at some point to get splits and trigger & recoil control down better.