PDA

View Full Version : Truck Guns

SC_Dave
10-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Just 2 questions;

1. Do you have one?

2. How is it secured?

SCD

PS I put this in the rifle and carbine section but I guess I need to point out that for the purpose of this thread I'm talking about a rifle or carbine.

BillSWPA
10-20-2017, 07:03 AM
No.

I have a concealed handgun on my person unless I am going somewhere that I cannot bring it.

I don’t want to have to worry about a car gun when my mechanic has my car.

With two kids in school, I may need to park my car on school property.

If I can get to my car, it would be a rare circumstance in which simply getting in and driving away would not be a better option than retrieving a car gun.

I do not want to put a gun in the wrong hands by having it stolen from my car, although admittedly there are times when the gun on my person must be left in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
10-20-2017, 07:18 AM
No.

One of the #1 places guns get stolen from are vehicles. The only time I leave a gun in my vehicle is if I am in a known secure parking lot and only if i have to for professional reasons. Otherwise the only guns in my car are either in the trunk, en route to the rage, or on my waistline in the driver's seat.

OlongJohnson
10-20-2017, 07:20 AM
There was a thread on this topic recently, where all responses one could likely imagine were hashed out. Search is your friend.

SC_Dave
10-20-2017, 07:31 AM
There was a thread on this topic recently, where all responses one could likely imagine were hashed out. Search is your friend.

Thanks for the reminder, never thought of that.

RoyGBiv
10-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Why? - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24309-Purpose-of-The-Car-Gun

How? - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18293-Securing-a-car-truck-trunk-gun-effectively-and-efficiently

blues
10-20-2017, 08:48 AM
No. I keep a Lock'er Down console safe in the 4Runner for those times it may be necessary to secure my carry firearm temporarily.

Otherwise, nothing but a spare mag remains in the vehicle.

I do not store a long gun in the vehicle.

Cookie Monster
10-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Gone back and forth. I have a strong aluminum professional made custom lockbox underneath the back seat of my truck. I now have two rear-facing car seats on top of the seat. It would be a 5 to 10 minute process to get in there now, so no long guns.

When traveling to classes (back before the car seats) and other trips it eased my mind to have the box. Putting a long gun in there again might happen but most of my thinking goes to any sort of issue I need to resolve is a come as you are event.

Hoping my mind and my body and a G42 with 2 spare mags will be enough.

HCM
10-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Just 2 questions;

1. Do you have one?

2. How is it secured?

SCD

PS I put this in the rifle and carbine section but I guess I need to point out that for the purpose of this thread I'm talking about a rifle or carbine.

Is this in a duty capacity or personal use ?

For work, a lock box bolted into the vehicle during work hours. Long Gun is not left in the vehicle overnight. I'm in a plainclothes assignment and the long gun is only deployed proactively. In a reactive situation I'm unlikely to have time to get it out of the box.

Personal - I do not keep a long gun in my POV. On the rare occasions I do I use the tool box or put it under the back seat and cable lock it or it's case to the frame.

As note in the threads linked above "Truck Guns" are generally a bad idea. Theft from vehicles is the number one source of crime guns in my area. The idea you are going to have the time or opportunity to retrieve a long gun from the car in a defensive encounter is unrealistic at best.

JodyH
10-20-2017, 12:27 PM
I have a rifle in my truck probably 75% of the time.
It's usually my H&K MR762 in a soft sided case on the back seat.
I can get away with doing this because when there's a rifle in my truck I'm always within 10 or 15 feet of the truck since my truck is my office most days. The farthest I'm away would still be within eyesight, like from a convenience store counter to the truck parked and locked right in front of the store.
I'm almost always in very remote rural areas by myself and there are some days I can go several hours without seeing another person. The days when I'm well south of I-10 in west Texas and southern New Mexico the people I do see are often the kinds of people I want to avoid if at all possible and are the reason I carry a rifle.
I also have a case of bottled water, multi-day bug out bag, satellite phone and Level IV plate carrier for when I'm headed into certain areas south of I-10.

MSparks909
10-20-2017, 03:26 PM
There's often an AR in my truck, but moreso during the fall and winter months (hunting season). I've got locking storage under my back seat, truck is tinted and I live in a low crime area. If I'm on a road trip I bring along my 11.5" BCM "Pistol" and it rides shotgun unless I've got a passenger. It's just a more capable tool should the need ever arise.

Trukinjp13
10-20-2017, 03:39 PM
No.

I work for a school district

Never lock my truck

If there is a long gun, it is hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andre3k
10-21-2017, 04:05 PM
I keep a weapon in the vehicle sometimes. I had a friend who owns a car stereo shop fabricate a space for it using fiberglass and plywood. It's not in view and only I know how to acess it. Not the fastest to get to, but I could access it from the drivers seat in a pinch. Even if my vehicle were stolen the car would need some serious disassembly to locate it. Luckily I drive a car that's almost never stolen. You will never see it on a top 10 list.

It's good for what I use it for and it's secure. If I need some side money I could probably fit about four kilos in there as well. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JodyH
10-21-2017, 06:44 PM
I keep a weapon in the vehicle sometimes. I had a friend who owns a car stereo shop fabricate a space for it using fiberglass and plywood. It's not in view and only I know how to acess it. Not the fastest to get to, but I could access it from the drivers seat in a pinch. Even if my vehicle were stolen the car would need some serious disassembly to locate it. Luckily I drive a car that's almost never stolen. You will never see it on a top 10 list.

It's good for what I use it for and it's secure. If I need some side money I could probably fit about four kilos in there as well. [emoji16]

That sounds like a great way to get to spend a few hours in secondary inspection at one of the Border Patrol checkpoints I pass through every week or two.
Even if you showed them the compartment and how to access it they'd still spend the next few hours looking for the rest of the hidden compartments...

andre3k
10-21-2017, 07:52 PM
That sounds like a great way to get to spend a few hours in secondary inspection at one of the Border Patrol checkpoints I pass through every week or two.
Even if you showed them the compartment and how to access it they'd still spend the next few hours looking for the rest of the hidden compartments...Haven't been through a border checkpoint as long as I've been on this earth and probably never will. I'm in bad juju if a dog hits on my vehicle and I would never give consent to search anyway. Regardless the weapon I keep in my vehicle is probably more secure than any weapon in my house. It's hidden secured storage in a vehicle that's probably better than most alternatives available.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rex G
10-22-2017, 07:37 AM
1. No. (This assumes we mean a dedicated weapon, that remains inside the vehicle much or most of the time. My truck is for transportation, not storage.)

2. Not applicable, as #1, above, is “No.”

El Cid
10-22-2017, 09:25 AM
I don't see myself leaving a firearm in my POV on a regular basis. But if I was going to do so it would be in something like this:
http://www.truckvault.com

Or this:
https://www.pro.tuffyproducts.com/c-12-under-seat-storage.aspx

JodyH
11-20-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm almost always in very remote rural areas by myself and there are some days I can go several hours without seeing another person. The days when I'm well south of I-10 in west Texas and southern New Mexico the people I do see are often the kinds of people I want to avoid if at all possible and are the reason I carry a rifle.
I also have a case of bottled water, multi-day bug out bag, satellite phone and Level IV plate carrier for when I'm headed into certain areas south of I-10.
This (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?28599-USBP-Agent-beat-to-death-in-Van-Horn-Tx-(I-know-him)) is why I posted the above...

Beat Trash
11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
I live in the Mid-West and police in an urban environment. For me, the concept of a truck gun doesn't have enough merit to counter the potential theft risk. But I do travel by car to go on vacation or to meet up with my wife who is a travel nurse. So for those trips, I do toss an AR in the trunk. Basically the same setup as I would use on my Patrol Rifle at work.

Reading the comments posted by JodyH and the area in which he frequents causes me to think about the concept of a truck gun as it would relate to those living near the border. Or various other places that are remote and have a history for lawlessness. There are areas within a one take trip to me that are popular with hiking and camping. And also known for robberies and sexual assaults.

Maybe a new topic on the concept? Long gun and pistol choices and setups. Accessory gear that you keep to go with the guns. Any interest...?