PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Not Like Halloween?

Chance
10-14-2017, 03:14 PM
If Halloween were restricted to a day's worth of kids having fun in silly costumes, I'm all for it. And let's not forget the perks of "Dress Up Like A Whore Day" amongst the age-appropriate merrymakers. But when people turn it into an entire month of stuff like this:

...No. Someone up at the office goes nuts with Halloween decorations. If they were cutesy, Grim Fandango-ish, Dia de Muertos decorations, that's fun. The aforementioned decorations just make my skin crawl.

And then there's the "fun" creepy commercials randomly interspersed during TV shows. A creepy commercial in the early afternoon would be amusing, but at 9:30pm before I'm about to go to bed? Not amusing.

Just me?

hufnagel
10-14-2017, 03:17 PM
what is this "commercial" thing you speak of? my PVR actively skips such things and my downloads don't even contain them. :D
(solves that problem.)

the rest, eh, I dunno.

11B10
10-14-2017, 03:38 PM
You've hit a nerve with me on this subject. I have many neighbors who spend small fortunes on Halloween stuff. Their properties, especially their yards, are nearly completely covered with it. Then, on what I consider to be a more significant holiday weeks later - nothing. BUT, it gets better. When a certain Deity's birthday arrives on December 25th, they MIGHT put a wreath up, or a token string of lights. They obviously believe Halloween is far more important than Christmas. I also decorate for Halloween, but with a bit more taste - and - it's up for only a week or so. After all, Thanksgiving is near, followed by Christmas. Priorities. When I was growing up, we never had anything but a carved pumpkin and trick or treated one time.

Darth_Uno
10-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Live and let live. I'm "bah humbug" with all of em, but my wife decorates for every single one. Even Cinco de Mayo...and we're not Mexican (she is from San Antonio though...). There's a lot worse things people could be doing with their spare time.

PFranklin
10-14-2017, 04:01 PM
I am with you 100% on this one. Sorry, kids, its one of the most dangerous National holidays there is - perhaps second to Memorial Day in South Beach.

Chance
10-14-2017, 04:09 PM
I have many neighbors who spend small fortunes on Halloween stuff. Their properties, especially their yards, are nearly completely covered with it.

I have also seen that. I know some folks that keep a pile of miniature caskets in their backyard all year so they can make a "fun" graveyard in their front yard during Halloween.

Most of the time, that nonsense irritates me. A handful of times, it manages to be pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/GUAV_1jBJB4

I think Halloween is an event that inherently appeals to our collective irreverence, whereas other holidays are linked to something somber.

LOKNLOD
10-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Like free candy as much as the next kid, but yeah I hate Halloween. I hate costumes, on me or on other people. I hate the entire concept of trick or treating. I really hate it when it bleeds over into the glorification of gore, grotesque, and especially of "evil". I hate that it seems like every tv show has to have a shitty, campy, "spooky" Halloween episode in October. Maybe it fulfills some sort of valuable "release valve" for society. I dunno. But I think it's f'ing stupid.

It's a black eye on the otherwise best season of the year.

RevolverRob
10-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Halloween is a lot more enjoyable if you 1) Are an adult and go to adult Halloween parties. 2) Have kids/nieces/nephews/etc to take trick or treating.

Christmas is similar in my opinion no young humans makes it more about drinking eggnog and watching Die Hard. The latter isn't bad, mind you, but kids do make it fun.

Personally, Thanksgiving is probably my favorite, because it involves food and football.

critter
10-14-2017, 04:20 PM
I think Halloween is an event that inherently appeals to our collective irreverence, whereas other holidays are linked to something somber.

You may be on to something there. I'm pretty sure that is why it appeals to me. It's the one day a year I can scare the daylights outta people and act like a general all around juvenile ass and not only have it be considered acceptable behavior but be lauded as greatness! It's by far an away my favorite holiday of the year. Plus eating all the remainder candy is a plus. Even my yellow-eyed black cat loves prancing around with her bat wings and drawing attention from all the kids.

The month of decorations I couldn't care less about. I do like to deck out a bit 3-4 days ahead so prepared for the little spooks, goblins, and ghouls coming around.

TheNewbie
10-14-2017, 05:25 PM
I find it odd that so many adults LOVE Halloween because I thought it was for kids.

The last time I thought Halloween was cool was in elementary school.

Casual Friday
10-14-2017, 05:45 PM
As a lifelong fan of horror movies I've always liked it because all the good movies are on tv during the same month. Now that I have kids I enjoy their enjoyment of it while still indulging my inner child of the 80's desire to watch masked men slaughter teenagers.

Hambo
10-14-2017, 05:47 PM
I'm a Halloween Grinch. The little kids are cute. If you're older than that I think you have problems. If you're an adult (not taking your kids around the hood), you're a moron.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-14-2017, 05:53 PM
I love halloween and would trade christmas for a second halloween in a heartbeat.

https://imgur.com/aXw1jPA.jpg

It's an excuse for every girl I know to dress like a hooker. Plus some friends of mine throw insane halloween parties. One year the sponsor was an absinthe company.

Erin is actually working on a costume right now. We can't make the big halloween party we usually hit because I'm working all weekend but we'll still be at one because halloween parties are the best parties of the year.

Therefore, your thread is wrong. I can prove it with umpteen pictures but I really do not think PFC is the right venue for that. But I was there and remember two thirds of it and you're all wrong and that's that.

holmes168
10-14-2017, 05:54 PM
I liked Halloween as a kid- it was fun getting the candy. In my 40's I don't understand adults dressed up and going to parties.
This year we will celebrate Halloween like we have the past few.....I'll eat a ton of sugar while hiding from my wife on the porch. Eventually, I'll grab a beer in a plastic cup, she will bring the dogs on the porch and we will pass out what candy I didn't eat.
Halloween is definitely for kids and is a fun tradition, but after 10 years old- time to give it up.

Hambo
10-14-2017, 06:53 PM
It's an excuse for every girl I know to dress like a hooker.

That's every Friday/Saturday night in Miami, but I guess Canada isn't a big party place. ;)

Major points for the Hunter Thompson look.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-14-2017, 07:17 PM
I like girls dressed like hookers, but not enough to spend time in Florida.

Totem Polar
10-14-2017, 07:20 PM
I dig Halloween. But mostly because I dig fall. And parties. And spooky stuff. And pumpkin pie.

andre3k
10-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Please put me in the "I could care less" camp. If folks want to deck their house or business out to celebrate a holiday then let them have at it.

OlongJohnson
10-14-2017, 10:19 PM
I have a couple of friends who like Halloween so much they got married 10/31. Turned out an unexpected side benefit was easy availability of the church. Good people, always a good party.

Then they got involved with 24 Hours of LeMons, which combines Halloween with motor racing, and took a lot of the shine off regular Halloween. Still worth it.

Even my yellow-eyed black cat loves prancing around with her bat wings and drawing attention from all the kids.

I'm sure you know this, but make sure you keep an eye on her constantly if she's outside the house.

My mom will soon be losing her black kitty. She's been very lucky - he's lived with her longer than I did before I went off to college.

ReverendMeat
10-14-2017, 10:28 PM
I don't care about any holidays but other people seem to and I don't feel the desire to shit on them for it. Good on them for being able to enjoy things.

olstyn
10-15-2017, 12:07 AM
24 Hours of LeMons, which combines Halloween with motor racing,

Sort of off topic for the thread, but that event sounds like an insane amount of fun. :)

When a certain Deity's birthday arrives on December 25th, they MIGHT put a wreath up, or a token string of lights. They obviously believe Halloween is far more important than Christmas.

Far be it from me to tell anyone they can't be a grumpy old man, but unless you have other specific issues with the people you're referring to, the amount of scorn/disapproval you're throwing their way is far out of proportion to their supposed infractions.

Willard
10-15-2017, 01:07 AM
You've hit a nerve with me on this subject. I have many neighbors who spend small fortunes on Halloween stuff. Their properties, especially their yards, are nearly completely covered with it. Then, on what I consider to be a more significant holiday weeks later - nothing. BUT, it gets better. When a certain Deity's birthday arrives on December 25th, they MIGHT put a wreath up, or a token string of lights. They obviously believe Halloween is far more important than Christmas. I also decorate for Halloween, but with a bit more taste - and - it's up for only a week or so. After all, Thanksgiving is near, followed by Christmas. Priorities. When I was growing up, we never had anything but a carved pumpkin and trick or treated one time.

Actually, if you look at this from an unbiased historical perspective, you can't truly claim to be upset. Like Halloween, Christmas originated in pagan sun worship ceremonies. Christmas is based on venerations surrounding the winter solstice, such as those taken from Babylonia, Druidism, Roman Saturnalia celebrations, and others going back into antiquity. Also, based on the scriptural account, December 25th was almost certainly not the actual birthday of Christ.

Most contemporary holidays and their customs originated in ancient sun worship celebrations, including Easter (previously Eostre, Ostera, Astarte, or Ishtar) and Halloween (Samhain from Gaelic and Celtic traditions). Ever wonder what pagan fertility signs (bunnies, eggs, etc) have to do with Christ's resurrection or evergreen trees, yule tide logs, and mistletoe have to do with Christ's birth? That's the link.

These holidays and customs were accepted by the Catholic Church, and incorporated into their religious observations and calendar, after attaching a new "Christian" meaning. The "sun" became the "son," symbols of rebirth and immortality are interchanged, etc. The initial intent was supposedly to gain/retain/appease pagan converts who refused to abandon their traditional festivals. At the same time, church leaders could claim that their church had triumphed over the pagan peoples' religion and given these festivities a new meaning.

In the internet age, information is readily available for those curious about the historical origins of their holidays. Just google 'Saturnalia and Christmas,' 'Samhain and Halloween,' 'Easter and pagan fertility,' 'Sun worship and Christmas (or Easter or Halloween),' etc...None of these holidays originated in Christianity or the Bible.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-15-2017, 01:57 AM
Actually, if you look at this from an unbiased historical perspective, you can't really claim to be upset. Like Halloween, Christmas originated in pagan sun worship ceremonies surrounding the winter solstice, such as those taken from Babylonia, Druidism, Roman Saturnalia celebrations, and others going back into antiquity. Also, based on the scriptural account, December 25th was almost certainly not the actual birthday of Christ.

Most contemporary holidays and their customs originated in ancient sun worship celebrations, including Easter (previously Eostre, Ostera, Astarte, or Ishtar) and Halloween (Samhain from Gaelic and Celtic traditions). Ever wonder what pagan fertility signs (bunnies, eggs, etc) have to do with Easter or evergreen trees, yule tide logs, and mistletoe have to do with Christmas?

These holidays and customs were accepted by the Catholic Church and incorporated into their religious observations and calendar after attaching a new "Christian" meaning. The intent was largely to gain/retain/appease pagan converts who refused to abandon their traditional festivals.

In the internet age, information is readily available for those curious about the historical origins of their holidays. Just google 'Saturnalia and Christmas,' 'Samhain and Halloween,' 'Easter and pagan fertility,' 'Sun worship and Christmas and Easter,' etc...None of these holidays originated in Christianity or the Bible.

if we're delving into epistemology, can I say I really feel like we're not adequately addressing the "dressing like hookers" facet?

it's not that there aren't skimpy Santa's Elf costumes...but they're nowhere near as socially acceptable as literally "slutty anything" for halloween.

Evidence:

http://www.welovedates.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/sexy-corn-halloween-costume.jpg

Gun Mutt
10-15-2017, 08:35 AM
I love halloween and would trade christmas for a second halloween in a heartbeat

https://imgur.com/aXw1jPA.jpg.

Props, I still love HST!

I worked in bars during my 20's-late 30's and hated Halloween at the time. Fucking impossible to properly card people, assholes carry real weapons with their costumes and every-fucking-one acts out as their alter ego; great when it's sluts, sucks when the werewolf gets his load on & wants to hump the unicorn or try to kill it. Fuck ever again being in a bar with a bunch of of 18-35yr olds in a bar on Halloween.

Other than that, enjoy yourselves. I'll be at home on 10/31 until my kid is old enough to wanna T/T.

Stephanie B
10-15-2017, 08:52 AM
I like Halloween. People can get pretty creative with their costumes.

It's a fun holiday with no political, religious, historical or nationalistic significance. And if you don't want to play, nobody shives a git.

ragnar_d
10-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Personally, I don't much care for the holiday but I won't begrudge anyone that does enjoy it. Growing up, I never really enjoyed it and didn't warm up to it later in life. When I was single, the house was blacked out and I was back in the office/work room either watching a movie or working on a project. My wife wants to go full-on Buddy the Elf for every single holiday. Hopefully there's some balance to be found going forward.

In the fall, my idea of a great party is a few (emphasis on a few) good friends BS'ing around a bonfire with a good supply of libations and cigars.

Wise man. Very wise man.

LOKNLOD
10-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Maybe I would have a better appreciation for hoe-lloween more if the Venn diagram of my life had ever had more overlap in the "slutty anything" crowd, but that's not my fate.

http://www.welovedates.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/sexy-corn-halloween-costume.jpg

If you'll excuse me, I need to get these out of my system:

If that product isn't being titled and marketed as "Me So Corny" I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Unless it's titled "Wanna Shuck?" in which case I'll allow it.
Ironically it's not available in husky sizes.
...something something...cream of corn... something something.
...corn on my cob...
...cold in here, your kernels are showing...
...butter... lots of butter-based comments.

Whew. Glad that's over.

Truth is, I've got a house full of little girls, so my goal is somewhat focused on keeping them from growing up and running around in slutty corn outfits so pervy dudes say those things about them :/

Guinnessman
10-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Canadian girls talk the talk, and walk the walk! :p

A guy that looks like Harvey Weinstein, and has a wallet like his, can score in South Beach. A "Fabio," albeit a middle class working man, not so much.

Then again, that's why single, middle class, American men should branch out a little more. ;). Think Latina.:p

WobblyPossum
10-15-2017, 09:39 AM
I don't care about any holidays but other people seem to and I don't feel the desire to shit on them for it. Good on them for being able to enjoy things.

I like this sentiment so much that I’m quoting it so it appears twice in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chance
10-15-2017, 10:35 AM
I like Halloween. People can get pretty creative with their costumes.

I'm not clever enough to get this one. What is she supposed to be?

Sherman A. House DDS
10-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Maybe they’re not Christian?

I think it’s fun to celebrate secular holidays. And I enjoy the heck out of Halloween.

Stephanie B
10-15-2017, 11:06 AM
I'm not clever enough to get this one. What is she supposed to be?

Carol Burnett in Went With the Wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKhw-v5h2I

It's probably the most famous dress that Bob Mackie ever made (https://youtu.be/qWafivH0kYI). Supposedly, when Burnett appeared at the top of the stairs, the audience laughter was so loud and so sustained that they had to edit much of it out.

The dress is now in the Smithsonian

Stephanie B
10-15-2017, 11:18 AM
I have a couple of friends who like Halloween so much they got married 10/31. Turned out an unexpected side benefit was easy availability of the church. Good people, always a good party.

My cousin did that. She wore a black dress, too. The marriage is now into its fourth decade.

11B10
10-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Maybe they’re not Christian?

I think it’s fun to celebrate secular holidays. And I enjoy the heck out of Halloween.

First, I'm aware of the history of the holiday and it's relevance in today's world. In response to one post, it didn't seem to me that I was piling scorn on anyone - if that's what was perceived, I apologize. Perhaps if you folks could see what I see, your perspective might change. Look, we celebrate the holiday and get a charge out of Halloween. We have kids at our door long after our neighbors have turned off their lights and closed their doors. In my neighborhood, I happen to know the folks I'm referring to are Christians. That's why the "saturation approach" to their Halloween decorations turns me off - just as it would at Christmas. In the words of my older-than-me neighbor: "They're shouting at us!" But, as I stated, their Christmas decorations are very subdued. Moderation, anyone?

JAD
10-15-2017, 11:41 AM
I like Halloween as a kids holiday. It’s super fun, plus since it’s within a couple of days of my boy’s birthday it’s an excuse to go to Phoenix and hang out with the grands and our best friends.

It’s pretty easy for me to bin “holidays,” “Holy days,” and liturgical seasons. We celebrate the last two mindfully and the first ones mindlessly and it works out fine. For my own self, and in terms of the effort and thought our family puts into it, it’s the seasons (Advent and Lent especially) that matter.

RevolverRob
10-15-2017, 02:43 PM
In the words of my older-than-me neighbor: "They're shouting at us!" But, as I stated, their Christmas decorations are very subdued. Moderation, anyone?

Might I proffer a suggestion to help you and your neighbor out?

Next time you feel irritation at the neighbors decorations, go inside and dryfire for 15-minutes. If you still feel ire, add another 15-minutes. Do so, until ire is exhausted or you are.

It's more productive than getting twisted up about the neighbors' decorations relative to your own.

Or do what I do...build a 12-foot fence, with topped with iron spikes, put visible cameras on concrete parapets and hidden cameras every where else. Come and go at odd hours of the day/night. Never acknowledge, wave, or talk to your neighbors. Mow your lawn with a sycthe and every holiday put up the biggest, most ostentatious, decorations in the neighborhood and blast house music from 6-foot tall speaker you erect just inside your fence line, from 8am-10pm every single day.

Within 5 years your neighbors will move away and you'll have no worries about their decorations anymore.

ragnar_d
10-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Then again, that's why single, middle class, American men should branch out a little more. ;). Think Latina.:p
Yeah . . . that's like playing with fire while juggling grenades in a puddle of gasoline. My wife's friends are mostly of Cuban, Venezuelan, Puerto Rican, etc. heritage . . . those ladies get heated and there's a minimum safe distance measured in counties.

SeriousStudent
10-15-2017, 02:53 PM
...snip...those ladies get heated and there's a minimum safe distance measured in countries.

Fixed it for you.

ragnar_d
10-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Fixed it for you.
Yup, that's pretty much it.

Joe in PNG
10-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Usually I just watch "The Thing" and call it good.

Kyle Reese
10-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
10-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Slightly OT, but, something I tell all my college kids... that always gets them thinking (if not a bit freaked out):

I note that the average life expectancy for men in the USA is a little over 76 years, and for women is a little over 81, currently, for an overall number of roughly 78. That means, for someone who is 18 (freshman), they can expect 60 more years, plus or minus. I then note that that's a lot of years and a lot of days, but if something only comes once a year, like Halloween or Christmas–or that first really nice day of spring–then that's not 60 more years, that's 60 more times. Moreover, when you get to your late 40's like me, that could be only 18-20 more parties and costumes, unless I draw the short straw.

So don't fuck around, and make sure you celebrate every yearly event you can, to the fullest extent you can, with people you like–because they really are precious.

I go on to note that when the first really nice sunny day comes–and they'll all know it by the fact that everyone is outside with frisbees and random boom boxes after class–that I will be playing hooky, and to expect it. There are presumably lots of nice sunny days in store for me, if all goes well, but only 18 more first-of-the-season ones.

That always blows the students' minds... :D :D

:D

https://m.popkey.co/b7fed3/kWyG7.gif

MistWolf
10-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Slightly OT, but, something I tell all my college kids... that always gets them thinking (if not a bit freaked out):

I note that the average life expectancy for men in the USA is a little over 76 years, and for women is a little over 81, currently, for an overall number of roughly 78. That means, for someone who is 18 (freshman), they can expect 60 more years, plus or minus. I then note that that's a lot of years and a lot of days, but if something only comes once a year, like Halloween or Christmas–or that first really nice day of spring–then that's not 60 more years, that's 60 more times. Moreover, when you get to your late 40's like me, that could be only 18-20 more parties and costumes, unless I draw the short straw.

So don't fuck around, and make sure you celebrate every yearly event you can, to the fullest extent you can, with people you like–because they really are precious.

I go on to note that when the first really nice sunny day comes–and they'll all know it by the fact that everyone is outside with frisbees and random boom boxes after class–that I will be playing hooky, and to expect it. There are presumably lots of nice sunny days in store for me, if all goes well, but only 18 more first-of-the-season ones.

https://m.popkey.co/b7fed3/kWyG7.gif

Tom, can you fix it so I can Like this twice?

orionz06
10-15-2017, 05:09 PM

I dressed up like a hooker for halloween once.

11B10
10-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What I should have said ^^^^^^. As usual, my vision is 20/20 only in hindsight.

Guinnessman
10-15-2017, 05:23 PM
I dressed up like a hooker for halloween once.

Pics or it didn't happen! Did you get your ideas from McKees Rocks? ;):p

RevolverRob
10-15-2017, 05:46 PM

I have something that's a bit of an inverse to what you tell them.

When they stress over exams, I point out, "This is one exam, in a college career of exams, that will be over sooner than later."

Also, when my students are studying too hard or asking ridiculous questions before an exam, I like to offer an extra credit assignment. It is the following, "Go to a museum, a movie, a party, for a nap on the quad, out to dinner with friends and/or family family; ask someone to tell you a story. Without providing incriminating details, provide a 1-2 paragraph summary of the story/movie/museum exhibit/nap on the quad, for 5-extra points on your next exam."

I've got some stunningly insightful pieces from students this way. Just reminding them to experience life is a good reminder for me too. After all, life is serious business, so serious that no one gets out alive...

I'm just sayin', if you find yourself, "Not liking X, Y, or Z." You are either, not doing it right or caring too much." Unless it is "Not liking X, Y, or Z" where X = Paying Taxes, Y = Having a prostate exam/mammogram, or Z = Getting bit on sensitive body parts by venomous animals.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Shit...this is really important.

That's good thinking.

JAD
10-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Usually I just watch "The Thing" and call it good.

We call that babysitting.

Joe in PNG
10-15-2017, 07:37 PM
We call that babysitting.

I have a standing threat that if forced into child care, the kiddies will be subject to a viewing of both "The Thing" and "Aliens".

DocGKR
10-15-2017, 10:30 PM
I despise Halloween--people do even more stupid things than usual, and often require much more effort to care for them...

TGS
10-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Halloween is my least favorite holiday.

You're not alone.

Stephanie B
10-16-2017, 03:22 PM
I have a cat that likes to get out. I might just dump a big mess of candy in a box, label it "Honor System Candy" and then see what happens. Might put a game camera up, too.

critter
10-16-2017, 03:41 PM
I have a cat that likes to get out. I might just dump a big mess of candy in a box, label it "Honor System Candy" and then see what happens. Might put a game camera up, too.

Don't forget the speaker hidden somewhere so you don't miss out on potential shock and awe scare moments. Nothing like a good growl from nowhere to get that Halloween spirit cookin'.

Shotgun
10-16-2017, 03:59 PM
If you mean the practice where 16 to twenty-something year old "kids" drive to entirely different neighborhoods to go door to door until after midnight asking for free candy? No, don't much care for it. We keep our lights off after dark and the dog in the house.

If you are talking about the nice neighborly trick or treating done in the light of day or just at dusk where the neighbors from our street bring their young kids to the door, then yes, that is a fun thing to participate in.

NEPAKevin
10-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Or do what I do...build a 12-foot fence, with topped with iron spikes, put visible cameras on concrete parapets and hidden cameras every where else. Come and go at odd hours of the day/night. Never acknowledge, wave, or talk to your neighbors. Mow your lawn with a sycthe and every holiday put up the biggest, most ostentatious, decorations in the neighborhood and blast house music from 6-foot tall speaker you erect just inside your fence line, from 8am-10pm every single day.

Within 5 years your neighbors will move away and you'll have no worries about their decorations anymore.

I was with you right up to the part about mowing the lawn with a scythe. (unless you have sickle girl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFAZMolCCJk)doing it) Depending on your neighbors, since you already have the speaker up, blasting the Adhan at the appropriate hours might have the desired effect.

Personal feelings.... JAFD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbn9MD-9k6c) (NSFW F-bombs)

Drang
10-16-2017, 06:34 PM
It's a fun holiday with no political, religious, historical or nationalistic significance. And if you don't want to play, nobody shives a git.
I disagree.
In the first place, there are plenty of fundamentalist Christians out there who object to the pagan origins of Hallowe'en.
In the second place, I grew up in Detroit, and there were gits getting shivv'd all over the place.

critter
10-16-2017, 06:38 PM
If you mean the practice where 16 to twenty-something year old "kids" drive to entirely different neighborhoods to go door to door until after midnight asking for free candy? ...

Those are my favorites. Have to be nice to the little ones by not traumatizing them or scarring them for life... but the teens after dark? It's open season on those around here.

ubervic
10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
I’ve been a firm believer for many years that Halloween is strictly for 1) young kids and 2) for chicks.
And for no one else.

I ridicule the 6’ 2” 16-year-old dudes who knock on my door for candy on October 31st.

Stephanie B
10-16-2017, 08:33 PM
I disagree.
In the first place, there are plenty of fundamentalist Christians out there who object to the pagan origins of Hallowe'en.

Which is pretty funny, given the pagan origins of a number of their own holidays.

Bucky
10-17-2017, 05:25 AM
I love Halloween, it’s my favorite time of year. In fact, I was married on Halloween. :)

Drang
10-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Which is pretty funny, given the pagan origins of a number of their own holidays.

No argument here.

Shotgun
10-17-2017, 10:28 PM
It's an excuse for every girl I know to dress like a hooker.

Therefore, your thread is wrong. I can prove it with umpteen pictures but I really do not think PFC is the right venue for that. But I was there and remember two thirds of it and you're all wrong and that's that.

Don’t post “umpteen.” Just post a few.

Carol Burnett in Went With the Wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKhw-v5h2I

It's probably the most famous dress that Bob Mackie ever made (https://youtu.be/qWafivH0kYI). Supposedly, when Burnett appeared at the top of the stairs, the audience laughter was so loud and so sustained that they had to edit much of it out.

I remember that skit. I looked it up, and that skit aired in 1976.

And, because I am old enough to remember Carol Burnett’s Gone with the Wind skit from 76, it really brings home Sideshooter’s comment.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-18-2017, 12:52 AM
Don’t post “umpteen.” Just post a few.

Well, just sticking with fairly innocuous stuff...

Pumpkin carving before one party:

https://imgur.com/ADQjPN2.jpg

One party they had this pretty cool photo booth set up. It printed out these little polaroids.

https://imgur.com/COKtA5z.jpg

I think this was the same year at the beginning of the night. I think that's the photobooth background.

https://imgur.com/LO2ioyE.jpg

It's fun. I don't play in a rock band any more so I take my excitement where I can get it. We used to play shows most halloweens. They'd be berserk. Anything could happen, anything at all. Nothing was safe for work.

A good party with a bunch of Seattle hipster vets (which for some reason is the majority of the scene I'm part of now) is pretty casual yet pretty fun.