PDA

View Full Version : crkt Argus

11B10
10-14-2017, 01:33 PM
I'm checking out the Argus from crkt. It appears to be a very good blade and is currently available on crkt's site for $34.95. First, is it as good as it's hype - and, if it is, why the low price? What can anyone tell me?

Wondering Beard
10-14-2017, 02:00 PM
CRKT makes good solid knives, not as fancy as many (witness the use of AUS 8 steel in most of their blades -a fine steel, easy to resharpen but not terribly sophisticated). I don't know this particular knife but going by the reputation of the company, it should serve you well.

11B10
10-14-2017, 02:22 PM
CRKT makes good solid knives, not as fancy as many (witness the use of AUS 8 steel in most of their blades -a fine steel, easy to resharpen but not terribly sophisticated). I don't know this particular knife but going by the reputation of the company, it should serve you well.

Thanks, WB, I'm asking mainly because I have zero experience with crkt as a brand. I carry a Benchmade Gryptilian.

Cypher
10-14-2017, 02:41 PM
My daily carry is a CRKT Ignitor. Again, it's not a fancy knife but it came from the factory sharper than any knife I've ever owned and it hold the edge well. Shortly after I bought it I damaged the clip CRKT sent me a new clip free of charge. For 30.00$ it's definitely worth the money.

Wondering Beard
10-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Thanks, WB, I'm asking mainly because I have zero experience with crkt as a brand. I carry a Benchmade Gryptilian.

That Benchmade is an excellent folder and I don't know if the CRKT folder is going to be as good but it should do the equivalent type of work well.

I have a few CRKT knives and I've never been disappointed.

11B10
10-14-2017, 03:27 PM
That Benchmade is an excellent folder and I don't know if the CRKT folder is going to be as good but it should do the equivalent type of work well.

I have a few CRKT knives and I've never been disappointed.

As good as my Benchmade is, I've been less than thrilled with the sharpness, even when new. About 6 months ago, I sent it back for their lifetime sharpening and maintenance. The knife came back and was like new as they replaced all the fasteners, tightened everything and sharpened it. The level of sharpness still didn't impress. After I got it back, against all common sense, I sharpened it with a "Sharp n Easy" sharpener, which did make a difference. I love everything about the Benchmade's operation - what can you recommend for a sharper edge? I have zero experience with sharpening knives.

Wondering Beard
10-14-2017, 03:46 PM
My experience in sharpening knives is about the same as yours.

The CRKT knives I've bought have all been shaving sharp (i.e. arm hair shaving sharp; I test that). Otherwise, Spyderco knives are always very sharp as are Cold Steel's.

Wheeler
10-14-2017, 04:05 PM
I carried a CRKT M16 for about twelve years. I'd lost it twice and would find it about the time I bought a replacement. It has gotten very loose and sloppy so I finally retired it. I've had several other CRKT knives and commend them on having a broad range of folders that are lefty friendly, unlike many of the higher priced knives.

critter
10-14-2017, 04:41 PM
As good as my Benchmade is, I've been less than thrilled with the sharpness, even when new. About 6 months ago, I sent it back for their lifetime sharpening and maintenance. The knife came back and was like new as they replaced all the fasteners, tightened everything and sharpened it. The level of sharpness still didn't impress. After I got it back, against all common sense, I sharpened it with a "Sharp n Easy" sharpener, which did make a difference. I love everything about the Benchmade's operation - what can you recommend for a sharper edge? I have zero experience with sharpening knives.

To take the blade to the "next level" without going overboard (40 grades of Japanese water stones, etc, etc) just get you a leather strop and compound. You can get knives pretty darn sharp with a stone where they'll knock off some hair, but they're never ultra impressive until you finish the job by stropping. Sharpening takes a little practice and paying close attention to blade angle but it's not that difficult of a skill to, um, hone.

CRKT knives are decent quality for the money workhorses.

11B10
10-14-2017, 08:05 PM
As usual, I got exactly what I was looking for here! Thanks to all for the information you gave me. I'd love to be able to get the Benchmade really sharp by doing it myself. Now I'm inspired.

critter
10-14-2017, 09:34 PM
As usual, I got exactly what I was looking for here! Thanks to all for the information you gave me. I'd love to be able to get the Benchmade really sharp by doing it myself. Now I'm inspired.

Be careful... knife sharpening can be yet another money hole with gadgets, expensive stones, etc. :cool: You really don't need all that to get a fabulous edge on a knife. Of course, if it turns out you enjoy doing it, investing in some decent quality stones makes it more enjoyable.

I have these: Norton Waterstone Starter Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XK0FMU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A37KLPQG0QTZGU&psc=1)
I love these but there's no necessity to spend nearly that much -- and you could spend a helluva lot more on stones or entire systems if you felt the urge.

Here is a pretty decent video for some starter tips.. a quick search on YT pulled up a ginormous number of sharpening videos, and, like with anything, opinions vary but the primary necessity remains the same -- consistent correct blade angle. This one just happens to include the stones I use. The main thing about the video is to watch for the technique he uses to keep the blade angle consistent. This will help tremendously while you're getting the hang of it. Later you'll pretty much be able to sharpen a knife hanging upside down from a ladder if you wanted to impress your friends with sharps object at a keg party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8WxarmQmIY

UNK
10-17-2017, 08:20 PM
As good as my Benchmade is, I've been less than thrilled with the sharpness, even when new. About 6 months ago, I sent it back for their lifetime sharpening and maintenance. The knife came back and was like new as they replaced all the fasteners, tightened everything and sharpened it. The level of sharpness still didn't impress. After I got it back, against all common sense, I sharpened it with a "Sharp n Easy" sharpener, which did make a difference. I love everything about the Benchmade's operation - what can you recommend for a sharper edge? I have zero experience with sharpening kht herenives.

Epic thread right here

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21077-Best-value-knife-sharpening-system&p=461258&viewfull=1#post461258

11B10
10-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Epic thread right here

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21077-Best-value-knife-sharpening-system&p=461258&viewfull=1#post461258

UNK - I KNEW I had read something great on p-f recently, searched, couldn't come up with it - thanks for bringing it back for all of us!

UNK
10-18-2017, 06:32 PM
UNK - I KNEW I had read something great on p-f recently, searched, couldn't come up with it - thanks for bringing it back for all of us!

Your google fu is weak grassshopper. And you are welcome. Thank you.

Nephrology
10-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Just sharpened my PM2 (second pm2, cuz i lost the first one, obviously) and my mini grip with the Sharpmaker last night. I actually get the most use out of it for my kitchen knives, where it really excels. Buy one!

11B10
10-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Just sharpened my PM2 (second pm2, cuz i lost the first one, obviously) and my mini grip with the Sharpmaker last night. I actually get the most use out of it for my kitchen knives, where it really excels. Buy one!

It ain't for lack of wanting one that I haven't!

Nephrology
10-21-2017, 10:10 AM
It ain't for lack of wanting one that I haven't!

Tell the wife it's for the kitchen knives :)

11B10
10-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Tell the wife it's for the kitchen knives :)

Man, you're good! Is that ^^^^ the voice of experience talking?