PDA

View Full Version : Request for information about YFA H.I.T.T. class

Andy T
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I noticed Louis Awerbuck will be teaching his H.I.T.T class in Southern Exposure. I am thinking of taking it, but haven't been able to find many reviews of this specific class. I took his Stage 1 Handgun six years ago and enjoyed it.
I would appreciate if anyone can share their review of the H.I.T.T. class.

Thanks.

lcarr
01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
I would appreciate if anyone can share their review of the H.I.T.T. class.

A HITT class doesn't have a specific curriculum that's repeated class after class; it's more like a "special topics" class for which Louis comes up with a lesson plan for the areas to be covered for that particular HITT. I've taken at least three of them: carbine/handgun, shotgun/handgun, and backup handgun. All three were completely different and used equipment and facilities that were peculiar to the training location.

Lincoln

SLG
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Everyone is at a different point in their training, and everyone has different interests and needs. Having said that, I would not take another HITT class. Todd and I took one a number of years ago, on my recommendation, and it was pretty bad. Most of it was the students, NOT Awerbuck, but I won't risk it again.

ToddG
02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Agreed. I believe it's simply the nature of the class. Because each HITT is tailored to the group, you're at the mercy of the group. In our class, after SLG and I were warned repeatedly that we might not be up to speed enough for the class, we showed up to see a lot of very poor gun handling and Louis needed to spend a great deal of time doing remedial work on fundamentals.

Having taught a couple of classes where the majority of folks failed to meet the basic prerequisites, I'm completely sympathetic from the instructor standpoint. There's not much you can do when 2/3 of the class can't hit the side of the barn at the beginning of your Uber Shooter class.

Tony Muhlenkamp
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
The folks that train at Southern Exposure tend to be pretty dialed in but you never can tell until you get on line. You might just call Irv Lehman and ask about who else is taking the class, share your background, and get his opinion. I've never known him to not have an opinion, nor to be shy about sharing it. :) He also manages to fill his classes so won't blow smoke trying to get your training dollars; he does it for the fun of it at this point.

I've never met him, but I have corresponded with him periodically, so you can tell him I suggested you call if that helps.

Southern Exposure Training Facility
Irv Lehman, Class Coordinator
12425 Old Dade City Road
Kathleen, FL 33849
Phone: 305-934-1818