PDA

View Full Version : Using timers in loud conditions

MDS
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
So, I shoot mostly in indoor ranges (unfortunately!) and I often run into two problems related to the noise.

First, my timer is sometimes triggered by a particularly loud neighbor. Any long gun (other than 22lr) in the lane next to me can set it off. Sometimes I can mitigate this by putting the timer in my shirt pocket, with the microphone against my chest. But if it's a 308 next door, I'm pretty much at their mercy. CCT125US has a good idea for this. From a different thread:

@ mariadsantana ...... I have somewhat of a solution when I run into the loud range problem. I bring several strips of the aggresive double sided tape (the kind that you can stick a brick to a wall) and place a pad over the sensor. I have the pocket pro 2 and the sensor and mic are in the same area so this does also muffle the start beep as well. This seems to block out almost everything but the AR10 next to you.... but with a little timing and kind words that can be mitigated as well.

Another problem that comes up is hearing the beep. If a gun goes off right before the timer beeps, my muff's electronics cut off and I don't hear the beep. Or, I'll only hear the last .2s of the beep, and it throws my game. I've been working on going ahead with the drill if I hear those last .2s of the beep, just to throw a curve ball in my routine. But often I don't hear the beep at all. Not that big a deal, since I just restart the timer when I notice it, but it's pretty annoying because it happens frequently, because my muffs cut off even if it's a 22lr on the other side of the range. I've tried plugging my timer into my earpro's line in, but the electronics cut that off, too.

How do you all deal with these issues?

JV_
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
How do you all deal with these issues?

Nothing works 100%, at least for me. If it's one of those days where too many other shots are picked up, I don't use the timer. I can still get a lot of work done with the edge/face target at the NRA.

I often wonder if I use the timer too much...

orionz06
01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Use a phone app and run it into your input jack on the ear pro. Work from a par time instead. You should be able to tell when you make it and when you don't, or well enough to get by.

Stuffbreaker
01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
On crowded days, I set my CED 7000 to silent mode with an instant start and start it manually. I wait for a lull in the action to avoid picking up other shooters. If the range has a bench, I put the timer on the shelf in front of me and push the Start button with my trigger finger before going directly to the holster. My draw times from this type of manual start are reasonably similar to those from an audible beep. My timer doesn't pick up too many other shooters if set to the lowest sensitivity.