PDA

View Full Version : YouTube banning gun modification videos due to LV shooting

HCM
10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
While not surprising with regard to slide fire stocks etc. this is concerning as part of a general trend of YouTube de-monetizing and marginalizing gun related content.

YouTube is starting to ban certain video tutorials explaining how to modify guns, including those teaching viewers how to turn semi-automatic rifles into weapons that mimic fully-automatic guns.

https://ijr.com/the-declaration/2017/10/993925-youtube-banning-gun-modification-videos-las-vegas-shooting/amp/

David S.
10-09-2017, 10:39 PM
You wanna get replaced? Cuz this is how you get replaced.

TGS
10-09-2017, 10:49 PM
You wanna get replaced? Cuz this is how you get replaced.

Even the YouTube gun channels with the highest volume are fucking sparklefarts compared to the regular sort of content channels (fashion, cars, fail videos, viral video channels, etc). Wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to YouTube if every gun channel was shut down, and they'd still retain enough of the marketplace that you wouldn't be able to replace them with a competing service.

David S.
10-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Even the YouTube gun channels with the highest volume are fucking sparklefarts compared to the regular sort of content channels (fashion, cars, fail videos, viral video channels, etc). Wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to YouTube if every gun channel was shut down, and they'd still retain enough of the marketplace that you wouldn't be able to replace them with a competing service.

I do see now that the OP referred specifically to the "gun industry," but the gun industry isn't the only form of "hate speech" being demonetized and marginalized by YouTube and Google.

GardoneVT
10-10-2017, 02:29 AM
While not surprising with regard to slide fire stocks etc. this is concerning as part of a general trend of YouTube de-monetizing and marginalizing gun related content.

https://ijr.com/the-declaration/2017/10/993925-youtube-banning-gun-modification-videos-las-vegas-shooting/amp/

Good!

I think occasionally YouTube is the worst thing that's ever happened to modern gun ownership. Instead of seeking qualified advice on the serious subject of gun mods and pistol training,people instead call up YouTube and listen to some fat dude in a basement. That's how you get 3lb connectors in FPB safety-less guns being hauled around openly your local Subway.

For every positive video from a pro like Ernest Langdon (among others), there's tons of superstitious BS.

UNK
10-10-2017, 05:54 AM
delete

SC_Dave
10-10-2017, 06:56 AM
If they do ban gun related vids I'll delete my channel. Not as protest, because thats 90% why I'm there. It won't make two shits to them anyway. For that matter I'm on the verge of deleting it anyway because of their liberal leanings.

blues
10-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Hurry, there's not much space left on the bandwagon...

Odin Bravo One
10-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Good!

I think occasionally YouTube is the worst thing that's ever happened to modern gun ownership. Instead of seeking qualified advice on the serious subject of gun mods and pistol training,people instead call up YouTube and listen to some fat dude in a basement. That's how you get 3lb connectors in FPB safety-less guns being hauled around openly your local Subway.

For every positive video from a pro like Ernest Langdon (among others), there's tons of superstitious BS.

This is not a YouTube phenomenon . It didn't begin with the introduction of cell phone and video technology.

Joe in PNG
10-10-2017, 11:02 PM
This is not a YouTube phenomenon . It didn't begin with the introduction of cell phone and video technology.

Ah, the stupid things I read in the gun rags back before the internet was a thing...
Didja know that JHP ammo sucks, because it's like throwing an egg at someone, whereas FMJ is more like a rock!

TheNewbie
10-11-2017, 02:06 AM
I work with guys who could watch the FAIL videos all day. I could live with never watching one again.

Cory
10-11-2017, 07:26 AM
I hate this. Because it's just the first step, and in a few years there won't be any more videos from Lucky Gunner, Gabe White, MAC, Tim Herron, Ben Stoeger, or any of the other channels on youtube that put up decent content.

What's going on with the banning and blocking of videos and information on guns today is the modern equivalent of banning books. If we block the knowledge then maybe somehow we can stop bad people. And that just isn't how it works.

-Cory

spinmove_
10-11-2017, 07:39 AM
I think the answer is that content creators need to start moving away from YouTube. They shouldn’t disappear from YouTube completely, but they should be diversifying where they put their content. Where should they go?

https://youtu.be/sOHyP6viLa4

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

JV_
10-11-2017, 07:52 AM
I hate this.
Agreed. This is not a net positive for the firearms industry.

It's not "Good" because you classify some of it as "superstitious."

GardoneVT
10-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Strictly my perspective- the benefit of "freely" available YouTube gun knowledge is not greater then the quantity of BS also available. Guns aren't toys or tools- they're weapons with major legal and social consequences associated with their use. For every Tom Givens video,there's probably ten Hocus Pocus videos of clowns posting seriously whacked out stuff.

Considering the data on my tiny YouTube channel suggests a core group of American males watch it, I'd wager it's not a very good outreach vehicle for people unaware or undecided on guns. Its more like an in-club group of videos made by gun owners for other gun owners entertainment ,most of whom are in need of professional instruction themselves. Deleting these videos removes the opportunity for bad advice to propagate , and also removes a glaring risk to American gun ownership.
If Feinsteins aides ever find the Tactical Response YouTube channel we're toast- picture the PR coup of a public use video showing a group of "training professionals" violating NRA safety regulations on tape.

Odin Bravo One
10-11-2017, 09:29 AM
You win.

LOKNLOD
10-11-2017, 09:48 AM
“I believe in only one thing and that thing is human liberty. If ever a man is to achieve anything like dignity, it can happen only if superior men are given absolute freedom to think what they want to think and say what they want to say. I am against any man and any organization which seeks to limit or deny that freedom. . . [and] the superior man can be sure of freedom only if it is given to all men.”
--As quoted in Letters of H. L. Mencken (1961) edited by Guy J. Forgue, p. xiii.

Widespread derp is the price of free thought and information sharing, and unfortunately the internet’s chief export. Hiding everything in hopes of hiding it doesn’t make it go away, it just prevents better ideas the opportunity to outshine the dumb.

critter
10-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Once a corporation (or hell, any corporation -- corps should not be afforded the same 'rights' as individuals) becomes ubiquitous and/or provides services of public sector speech then the 1st amendment should apply. It should be a civil rights violation to quell legal speech, i.e., any speech which doesn't intentionally incite violence. This should apply to Twitter, facebook, YouTube, and all the rest. The free and fertile marketplace of ideas will always (and absolutely should) be a potentially "offensive" place which often "triggers" people. Oven, heat, GTFO.

JV_
10-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Strictly my perspective- the benefit of "freely" available YouTube gun knowledge is not greater then the quantity of BS also available.

That means you should stop going to Youtube to watch gun videos. It does not mean that it's good that they're banning them.

ETA: Look at Sean's reply to you, then go read this post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27953-SME-improving-the-situation&p=659612&viewfull=1#post659612

GardoneVT
10-11-2017, 01:14 PM
That means you should stop going to Youtube to watch gun videos. It does not mean that it's good that they're banning them.

ETA: Look at Sean's reply to you, then go read this post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27953-SME-improving-the-situation&p=659612&viewfull=1#post659612

Disagreeing with an SME on a particular point is not a sign of disrespect.

JV_
10-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Neither of my posts mention "disrespect."

Odin Bravo One
10-11-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm no longer an SME at pistol-forum.

Cacafuego
10-12-2017, 03:31 AM
I'm no longer an SME at pistol-forum.

Of course you are.