PDA

View Full Version : Is There Really Any Hope Left For This Country?

blues
10-09-2017, 01:36 PM
I think my head is about to explode...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41556542

How can US rapist win joint custody of victim's child?

The case of a Michigan man awarded joint legal custody of a child whose mother he sexually assaulted when she was 12 has provoked universal outrage.

Many are incredulous that Christopher Mirasolo, 27, could be granted parental rights after a DNA test established his paternity.
The victim's lawyer said the case was set in motion after her client received child support from the state.
The case is thought to be the first of its kind in Michigan and maybe the US...

I mean, who the fuck is sitting on the bench in these cases? I'm truly flabbergasted.

schüler
10-09-2017, 01:48 PM
I wonder if the court had all their paperwork in order (RSO, etc.) or just wasn't reading the package fully. I hope that's thr case...

blues
10-09-2017, 01:53 PM
I wonder if the court had all their paperwork in order (RSO, etc.) or just wasn't reading the package fully. I hope that's thr case...

There should be a reasonable man / woman standard in these cases in which one might query the judge as to whether he or she would want their own daughter subjected to this abomination?

(Of course then the liberal justice would all of a sudden be in favor of capital punishment.)

Chance
10-09-2017, 01:57 PM
It gets worse. From BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41556542):

In 2010, he sexually assaulted another victim between the ages of 13 and 15 and was jailed for four years, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections.

Mirasolo was released in March 2012 and is a registered sex offender.

His supervision conditions include having a "responsible adult" present if he is with a minor.

schüler
10-09-2017, 02:07 PM
There should be a reasonable man / woman standard in these cases in which one might query the judge as to whether he or she would want their own daughter subjected to this abomination?

(Of course then the liberal justice would all of a sudden be in favor of capital punishment.)
I was referring to the human element in court staff. As you may well know these cases are sometimes heard or processed in sessions, one after the other. Staff may overlook case details or not perform due diligence prep.

blues
10-09-2017, 02:27 PM
I was referring to the human element in court staff. As you may well know these cases are sometimes heard or processed in sessions, one after the other. Staff may overlook case details or not perform due diligence prep.

I understood your meaning, 'mano. I didn't intend for my reply to imply that I disagreed or to overlook the validity of your thoughts.

I'm just bellyachin'.

SD
10-09-2017, 02:31 PM
seen this story in the news and was like, are you joking. Then looking back, this criminal received a sweet plea deal and only did 6, months jail time for this offense. So it makes me want to ask the question, how do we take politics out of the District Attorneys Office? Believe it on not, some people should never be able to get out of prison. Civil confinement after the court sentence is complete, if an individual displays a likelihood to offend again. Example, lets say John Doe is a rapist, after attacking seven people he gets caught. Out of the seven victims we never learn of three of them, for whatever reason they fail to report the crime. Two other victims are of questionable character, lets say drug addicted criminals, with behavioral health problems . Now lets focus on the 2 victims we have left. Victim one attack occurred thirty-six months prior to Victim two's, something minor has happened to one of these two victims evidence, that could come into question at trial. ADA now decides to offer up a plea deal. Rapist John knows by taking the plea he can be on the streets hunting again in 60, months or less. Hey John got a little surprise for you. Two psychologist's now get to interview you, they will determine if you are a threat to society, if so it's off too civil confinement and treatment until a time you are no longer a threat to anyone!

blues
10-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Now, now, $teve, you wouldn't want to offend the offender or deny him his right to offend again, would ya?

Trukinjp13
10-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Sad situation all around. I just keep becoming more crotchety the older I get. Feel bad for the next generation. They are porked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hufnagel
10-10-2017, 06:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub792aeMjlM

'nuff said.

Totem Polar
10-10-2017, 07:03 AM
I think my head is about to explode...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41556542

I mean, who the fuck is sitting on the bench in these cases? I'm truly flabbergasted.

Dude, I saw that story earlier today. I clicked on it in some deperate hope that maybe he was 13 at the time of offense or something, maybe a consensual statutory thing; no dice.

I had to shut down the browser, and walk away from the computer, straight up.

11B10
10-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know who appointed this judge?

Duh - he was elected. My laziness is showing!

Mntneer357
10-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Two things...

1. The Town is an awesome movie. Highly recommended.

2. What the hell is it going to take to see some real "judicial oversight" (if that's even the proper term)? Decisions like this shouldn't happen and, maybe it's just me, but judges like this shouldn't be allowed to continue sitting on the bench. WHY is the issue of shitty judges not more of a topic? Shouldn't they get fired for being bad at their jobs?

STI
10-10-2017, 10:09 AM
I don't know how effective these change.org petitions are, but there's one with the aim of disbarring Judge Ross.

https://www.change.org/p/attorney-general-remove-judge-gregory-s-ross-from-the-bench?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&j=151611&sfmc_sub=560776040&l=32_HTML&u=28626621&mid=7233052&jb=256640

Vinh
10-10-2017, 12:45 PM
It is easy to understand how this occurs. The judge may have a son with a propensity for similar behavior, so the judge did what a parent might do, just in case the son is ever caught. The judge is merely paying the professional courtesy forward.

BehindBlueI's
10-10-2017, 01:25 PM
I get the outrage, but we also complain when judges "legislate from the bench". Per the article:

In 20 states and the District of Columbia, a rape conviction is required before termination of parental rights is allowed.
Critics argue this leaves victims vulnerable in cases that are not prosecuted.
Seven states have no laws barring rapists from asserting their parental rights over a child.

So what's the law in the judge's state? Is he following the law?

hufnagel
10-10-2017, 03:14 PM
I think the bigger outrage is 6 months served for raping and impregnating a 12 year old. Then getting out and doing it again to someone else, to land a 5 year stretch.

Odin Bravo One
10-10-2017, 09:35 PM
I have a solution.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Here's a take on America:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/11/is-the-american-idea-over/540651/

hufnagel
10-11-2017, 01:43 PM
I have a solution.

Something tells me I have an idea as to your solution, and I'll like it a lot.

Zincwarrior
10-11-2017, 02:22 PM
If I am reading this correctly, this sounds like the woman now lives in Florida. She needs to have the Florida courts rule the sperm donor's rights are ended, which they can do (translation a Florida court can tell Michigan to go F itself). She should also move, obtain a permanent RO against him, and arm up.

I'd bet good money the Michigan case adjudication occurred without representation for the woman. Michigan, you gots some 'splainin to do.

idahojess
10-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Sounds like a screw-up, mostly by the attorneys handling the state assistance case...

Michigan Supreme Court spokesman John Nevin told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross didn't know 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo had two criminal sexual conduct convictions, including one concerning the woman.

Nevin says the judge put the order on hold Tuesday after learning of Mirasolo's criminal past.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/11/courts-custody-case-judge-unaware-father-was-sex-offender.html

It's unclear whether prosecutors handling the state assistance and paternity case knew about Mirasolo's criminal history. They didn't respond to such questions Tuesday from The Associated Press. Kiessling also didn't return messages from the AP.

Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross, who signed last month's order, agreed Tuesday to put the order on hold. He set a hearing for Oct. 17.

. . . .

Detroit-area divorce lawyer Robert Cassar said the order granting joint legal custody to Mirasolo could have been an example of such orders being "rubber stamped" because judges and prosecutors "do so many."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/michigan-judge-halts-order-granting-custody-convicted-sex-offender-n809716

critter
10-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Good lord...

NH Shooter
10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Hus-on-first.jpg

SD
10-12-2017, 06:12 AM
Judicial System @ it's finest, from alpha -> omega.

TAZ
10-12-2017, 07:09 PM
I have a solution.

Which car we takin??

hufnagel
10-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Which car we takin??

I soooooooooo hate you for using that now. I couldn't since I used it elsewhere already.
I'm on board, too.

Odin Bravo One
10-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Not to nit pick, but... it is :

"Whose car we gonna take?"

Totem Polar
10-12-2017, 11:35 PM
We’re gonna need a fucking bus. With a cooler and snacks.

RichY
10-13-2017, 12:32 AM
Something tells me I have an idea as to your solution, and I'll like it a lot.

Me too!

hufnagel
10-13-2017, 06:17 AM
We’re gonna need a fucking bus. With a cooler and snacks.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_8sgccoDdQ0/VaXxsqtlOKI/AAAAAAAAP_4/Kc2y6ePKt8U/s640/smokey9.jpg

more carrying capacity. I think we're gonna need it. Also we can use one to stack the bodies in for transport to a dump.