PDA

View Full Version : GP AR Variable Scope Ideas

Bratch
10-06-2017, 11:19 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on a new scope for an old AR I'd like to breathe some life back into. I have a WOA 18" SPR build I bought on a whim 5-10 years ago that has been sitting in my safe getting absolutely zero use. I'd like to get it cleaned up and usable.

It has a cheapo 3-9 on it now just for something but I'm not happy with it. Im thinking something in the 2.5-10 to 3-15 range. Would like to stay with a 1" tube to utilize an existing mount. Uses would be general shooting, maybe some varmint hunting and possibly competition if I ever get off my butt again. Really it will fill the roll of a semi precise AR, I have others set up with RDS and LPV.

Looking to buy a nice quality useable scope without dropping a house payment to do it. What's out there I should be looking at?

MSparks909
10-07-2017, 12:12 AM
What's your budget? I'd also consider 30mm scope tubes...that will open up your options a lot compared to 1" scope tubes.

Sigfan26
10-07-2017, 12:15 AM
I'm looking for suggestions on a new scope for an old AR I'd like to breathe some life back into. I have a WOA 18" SPR build I bought on a whim 5-10 years ago that has been sitting in my safe getting absolutely zero use. I'd like to get it cleaned up and usable.

It has a cheapo 3-9 on it now just for something but I'm not happy with it. Im thinking something in the 2.5-10 to 3-15 range. Would like to stay with a 1" tube to utilize an existing mount. Uses would be general shooting, maybe some varmint hunting and possibly competition if I ever get off my butt again. Really it will fill the roll of a semi precise AR, I have others set up with RDS and LPV.

Looking to buy a nice quality useable scope without dropping a house payment to do it. What's out there I should be looking at?

What's your budget? I'd also consider 30mm scope tubes...that will open up your options a lot compared to 1" scope tubes.

This. Define house payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maple Syrup Actual
10-07-2017, 12:30 AM
I don't have any specific suggestions but I will say that personally I can't really tell the difference between 3-9 and 2.5-10.

I was just now playing with one of each on a 308 project gun and for me it's really, really subtle. Maybe there would be situations in which I'd notice the difference but I'm not sure.

I guess I'll say that I've got a Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-12 that has a 1 inch tube and seems to work pretty well, but I don't really like the lack of side focus. But for a non-house-payment scope I think it's decent.

MSparks909
10-07-2017, 01:41 AM
I don't know your budget but the Vortex Viper PST 2 2.5-10x is a solid offering. I've got a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x on my .308 DD but wouldn't feel underscoped at all with the Vortex

BillSWPA
10-07-2017, 07:40 AM
If you don't need an illuminated reticle, Leupold makes a nice 3-9x scope with a 1" tube. It is in their Rifleman line. I paid about $200 for one on sale from Optics Planet last year. Light gathering ability is excellent.

Bratch
10-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Let's set the budget up to $750 if needed. I'll open up to 30mm tube but will need to factor a mount into the equation.

1911nerd
10-07-2017, 10:17 AM
If I were you, I would also keep an eye on places like MidwayUSA that sell blemished scopes. You can still get a scope in good working order from a reputable brand at a substantial discount that may bring something otherwise out of budget into budget.

JM Campbell
10-07-2017, 10:35 AM
CS Tactical

I’d look to CSTactical for some advice, forum sponsor with their own sub forum.

Vortex pst gen II would be a decent option.

MistWolf
10-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Take a look at the Leupold VX-3i at Midway. The cheapest version is the 3.5-10x40mm with a 1 inch tube for $399, free shipping and a $75 gift certificate. It's a plain scope with no parallax adjustment, but you won't find a scope with better glass for the money. Midway has other versions of the VX-3i within your budget that have the parallax adjustment. The $75 gift certificate will help pay for a new mount, if you decide to go with the more versatile 30mm tube

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=leupold+vx-3i&userItemsPerPage=48

EricP
10-07-2017, 11:34 AM
I'd also take a look at SWFA website. They have very inclusive inventory and a great filter. Select what features are important to you, including price, and see what pops up.

Clusterfrack
10-07-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm very pleased with the Burris XTRii 3-15x50 on my 6.5 Grendel.

Bratch
10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
The scope market has exploded since the last time I was actively shopping.

Is this a fairly accurate ranking of the different models? Last time I was shopping it was a VX-2, VX-3 or a Mark 4.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

schüler
10-07-2017, 04:27 PM
I'd also take a look at SWFA website. They have very inclusive inventory and a great filter. Select what features are important to you, including price, and see what pops up.

I was going to mention the 3-15 and 3-9 HD.

ASH556
10-07-2017, 04:35 PM
The scope market has exploded since the last time I was actively shopping.

Is this a fairly accurate ranking of the different models? Last time I was shopping it was a VX-2, VX-3 or a Mark 4.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Even that's a little dated. I agree with others on Leupold. For weight and glass quality they win hands down. Take a look at the Custom Shop for turret and reticle options. In your situation I would choose a 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 VX3i with your choice of reticle and turrets. Will be under your budget for sure.

SecondsCount
10-07-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm very pleased with the Burris XTRii 3-15x50 on my 6.5 Grendel.

Agreed. I have several XTR II scopes and have been happy with them. Currently running a 1.5-8 on my DMR. These have a 34mm tube.

I have a couple Vortex scopes as well and they have been solid.

littlejerry
10-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Trijicon Accupower 3-9 is very reasonably priced and has good reticle options.

Lost River
10-08-2017, 10:11 AM
I would take a serious look at the SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope.

I have 2 of them, and both track properly when doing box drills using bolt action precision rifles. Both have replaced Leupolds on the rifles they are on. It is extremely hard to find a sub $1K rifle scope that is repeatable and reliable, but the SWFA line has really impressed me these last few years. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.

I also have a fixed 10X on my sporter weight T3 300 win mag that I use as my elk rifle, and it has held up to both the recoil and field abuse quite well. Quite a rock solid scope in my observation.

Overall, I think they are the best deal going if you don't want to drop Nightforce coin.

3-15:

https://i.imgur.com/hWXupAW.jpg

10X

https://i.imgur.com/xkg8aLg.jpg

When I am in a good financial spot, I fully intend to put another 3.5-15 on an AR.

OlongJohnson
10-08-2017, 10:52 AM
It's a 30mm tube and a little spendier than some of the other options proposed in this thread, but I think this is hard to beat for an all-around optic. The clearance pricing is better than any other I've seen and makes it a phenomenal value.

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx-6-2-12x42mm-cds-zl-firedot-wind-plex-matte.html

The CDS means once you get your DOPE set up for your load from your gun, you can send it to Leupold and they'll custom engrave an elevation turret so you can just dial in yardage directly.

At 2x, it's a low-power red dot, and the 12x will let you reach long enough for most uses short of very-long-range target competition. Top-shelf glass. Not too big or heavy overall.

I haven't shot it yet, but I have already put my money where my mouth is on this one. It's going on top of a .308 semi.

Another good option is the EuroOptic Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Very clear glass and a great value, but the unit is big and heavy compared to similarly spec'ed Leupolds.

Apart from that, I generally shop Leupolds starting with VX-3. Below that level of content, it seems you're paying a premium for the brand name and there are better values available elsewhere.

P.E. Kelley
10-08-2017, 04:59 PM

Hmmm, General shooting could be any fixed, variable or red dot. Varmint...running like a coyote or more stationary like marmot?...What kind of competition? 3 Gun?

Hard to make a reasoned recommendation without more info.

Cheap scopes are worth very little if they fail. But, Burris and Vortex warranties are solid and good value for money.

CS Tactical
10-09-2017, 10:37 AM
CS Tactical

I’d look to CSTactical for some advice, forum sponsor with their own sub forum.

Vortex pst gen II would be a decent option.

I agree! At that price point I'd say go with the new Vortex PST Gen II with their ridiculous warranty or the Burris XTR II with almost as good of a warranty :cool:
Vortex https://www.cstactical.com/viper-pst-ii.aspx
Burris https://www.cstactical.com/XTRII.aspx

schüler
10-09-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm a big fan of capped turrets, at least for the side turret.

Crews
10-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Just for the fun of it, keep a look out for a deal on a Bushnell LRHSi or LRTSi. They make them in a 3-12. I have been using the big brother 4.5-18 for a couple months and have been very happy with the features vs cost. Seems like a pretty robust construction, turrets have tracked well so far. Windage locks or is capped. .5 mil hash marks. Glass is acceptable. A slightly used one could fall into your price range.

And I suggest the illuminated reticle only if you're going to be shooting low light. Really no need for the extra dollars if not.

Bratch
10-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, General shooting could be any fixed, variable or red dot. Varmint...running like a coyote or more stationary like marmot?...What kind of competition? 3 Gun?

Hard to make a reasoned recommendation without more info.

Cheap scopes are worth very little if they fail. But, Burris and Vortex warranties are solid and good value for money.

Varmint let's call it stationary coyotes. Competition would be more run and guns if I ever get back to them, last one I shot with a 1.5-5 and did fine but would like a little more umph on this rifle.

I've continued to look and read and haven't really narrowed much down yet.

Thanks for the suggestions I'm seeing lots of stuff that is new to me

Unobtanium
10-12-2017, 04:56 AM
I hate to come off as snobbish, but I have cost myself more money buying "almost as good..." gear than any other habit. What I would advise is to wait until you see an optic that you want pop up on the second-hand market for a killer deal. A pre-owned Kahles or Nightforce of Leupold is better than a neva been done befo! Vortex or whatever. Yes, Vortex is quite nice, I grant! However, I really just think that glass should never be skimped on. It is like a bullet. The bullet is the only thing from your weapon that touches the target. Not the fancy BCG, or the sexy charging handle. THE BULLET. Similarly, the optic is what allows you to place the bullet. Those two things are king, in my book, provided the rest of the system is functional.

CS Tactical
10-12-2017, 10:35 AM
I hate to come off as snobbish, but I have cost myself more money buying "almost as good..." gear than any other habit. What I would advise is to wait until you see an optic that you want pop up on the second-hand market for a killer deal. A pre-owned Kahles or Nightforce of Leupold is better than a neva been done befo! Vortex or whatever. Yes, Vortex is quite nice, I grant! However, I really just think that glass should never be skimped on. It is like a bullet. The bullet is the only thing from your weapon that touches the target. Not the fancy BCG, or the sexy charging handle. THE BULLET. Similarly, the optic is what allows you to place the bullet. Those two things are king, in my book, provided the rest of the system is functional.

Depending on what Vortex we're talking about, I'd say the Razor line does quite well against comparable high end scopes in its class durability wise and the IQ of the glass.

schüler
10-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions I'm seeing lots of stuff that is new to me

Are you looking for FFP or SFP?