PDA

View Full Version : Lefty shooting to the right

ClintHall
01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Having recently returned to the M&P platform, it seems that I shoot my M&P9fs consistently 1-2" to the right (I'm a lefty) at 5 yards or so, and I'm trying to figure out if it's the gun or if it's just me. Here're my data points:

1. I shot around 150 rounds through another M&P9fs using the medium backstrap earlier this summer. It was easy to get centered hits, even at range. This particular model had a pretty good trigger.

2. I put 150 rounds or so through my M&Pfs w/ thumb safety over the past two weeks or so. I shot right with both the medium and small backstraps. My M&P9fs has a heavier trigger for an M&P.

3. To see whether it was the gun or me, two days ago I rented an M&P9fs with no thumb safety and the medium backstrap. This model had a pretty good trigger--definitely lighter and crisper than mine. Didn't shoot to the right at all--again, very easy to make centered hits.

4. I also rented an M&P9c for comparison purposes. This model had the small backstrap, no thumb safety, and a lousy trigger. I shot to the right, to the same degree as with my M&P9fs.

Oh, and I have small hands and the M&P just barely fits in terms of proper trigger reach, even with the small backstrap.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

jkm
01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
I have small hands and the M&P just barely fits in terms of proper trigger reach.

Sounds like your "proper trigger reach", and the 'heavier triggers' may be causing you to push the trigger a bit moving the sights off target. You should be able to see that tho', if you're calling your shots.

JDM
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
What size gloves do you wear?

ClintHall
01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
What size gloves do you wear?

Between small and medium, depending on the brand.

Nephrology
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I also have tiny hands but you can work around the size of the pistol. Remember there are some shooters like 16 y/o Tori Nonaka who can manipulate a Glock 35 no problem. It's all about how you postion the meat of your strong hand palm in order to maximize the freedom and mobility of your trigger finger. Try to make sure that the length of your index finger isn't "dragging" along the frame of the gun ad you prress the trigger to the rear. I used to (and still do) pull my shots in the same manner. Reexamining my grip has done wonders, along with some focused time with a .22 pistol.

JDM
01-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Between small and medium, depending on the brand.

Me too.

Put the large backstrap on your gun, and if you can still operate the controls, shoot 500 rounds before you take it off.

It's going to feel weird, and bulky. However, for me at least, it positions my finger in the exact right place to pull the trigger directly to the rear without having to think about it, and I can still reach the mag release and slide stop with minimal effort.

With the large backstrap it becomes impossible for me to put too much finger on the trigger (a common cause of pulled shots).

The large backstrap also allows you to put much more of your support hand meat on the gun.

What feels the best isn't always what you shoot the best.

jthhapkido
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Having recently returned to the M&P platform, it seems that I shoot my M&P9fs consistently 1-2" to the right (I'm a lefty) at 5 yards or so, and I'm trying to figure out if it's the gun or if it's just me.

It's you. Your trigger control sucks.

:p

Now that I've been really rude, I'd like to say I'm not serious, but I am. And the reason I can say that is because MY trigger control sucks in the same way. (I'm a lefty, and when I'm not careful, which is all too often, I have great sight alignment and a perfect sight picture, and then I yank that trigger back in a way that moves it out of alignment to the right.)

Getting a better trigger helps---but it is really just masking the problem, not fixing it. A lighter trigger means that poor trigger control won't have as much effect, because your finger doesn't move as much, with as much force. However, while you may be shooting better, your trigger control isn't any better. If you ever have to shoot a gun with a worse trigger, the problem will still be there.

Several people have put forth good ideas toward getting a better, consistent, straight-back trigger pull. Try them all, and hopefully one will click and fix the problem, given enough careful practice.

For me, the main thing that made a difference was the realization that I needed to have the trigger move in one direction for the entirety of the pull. I would press through the take-up, then just crank the trigger when my sights were finally aligned. Said "crank" would of course pull everything off. It was a "duh" sort of realization, but what I needed. Then I spent hours working on it. I'm haven't fixed it yet, but I do occasionally have flashes of competence, so it can be fixed.

JAD
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
With the large backstrap it becomes impossible for me to put too much finger on the trigger (a common cause of pulled shots).

Me three, on small-to-medium. If the large backstrap doesn't allow too much finger for two-hand supported shooting, though, it won't work as well for me in SHO and WHO shooting. For me to get good hits SHO/WHO, I have to reposition my finger near the crease. Don't know why, just works.

This has led to 1911s with short triggers and slim stocks. The slim stocks may not be necessary or even wise -- I owe myself some benchmarking on that -- but I'm pretty sure about the trigger.

Pasanova
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I have medium-large hands and am left handed too. I had a similar problem with a gen3 Glock 21 (not SF model). When gripping the handgun, a portion of the pad of my trigger finger would press against the left side of the trigger face. As I pressed the trigger to the rear, this would push the muzzle slightly to the right causing my rounds to impact right. It wasn't real noticable at 5 yards, however I was impacting 2-3 to the right at 25 yards. I figured this out one night while dry firing.

If I changed my grip slightly and concentrated on placing the pad of the my finger squarely on the trigger face the problem would go away and I was impacting dead on at 25 yards. The problem with this was that my grip did not feel natural.

I ended up selling the Glock 21 and getting a different glock.

Pistolero
01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Having recently returned to the M&P platform, it seems that I shoot my M&P9fs consistently 1-2" to the right (I'm a lefty) at 5 yards or so, and I'm trying to figure out if it's the gun or if it's just me. Here're my data points:

1. I shot around 150 rounds through another M&P9fs using the medium backstrap earlier this summer. It was easy to get centered hits, even at range. This particular model had a pretty good trigger.

2. I put 150 rounds or so through my M&Pfs w/ thumb safety over the past two weeks or so. I shot right with both the medium and small backstraps. My M&P9fs has a heavier trigger for an M&P.

3. To see whether it was the gun or me, two days ago I rented an M&P9fs with no thumb safety and the medium backstrap. This model had a pretty good trigger--definitely lighter and crisper than mine. Didn't shoot to the right at all--again, very easy to make centered hits.

4. I also rented an M&P9c for comparison purposes. This model had the small backstrap, no thumb safety, and a lousy trigger. I shot to the right, to the same degree as with my M&P9fs.

Oh, and I have small hands and the M&P just barely fits in terms of proper trigger reach, even with the small backstrap.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

In a way you've answered your own question: The heavier trigger is causing you to break the shot to the weak (inside) part of your gun hand. What's happening is the heavier trigger is causing you to ever so slightly torque the pistol; and you are losing control of the, 'magic spot' on the backstap that is supposed to prevent something like this from happening.

I would suggest two things: (No, I'm not sure that simply changing a backstrap is going to make this right.) First, slightly turn your wrist into a, 'quarter homie'. This will take the tension out of the upper tendons in your forearm and make aiming and controlling the pistol a little bit easier. Second, slightly change how you are pulling that trigger. Move your trigger finger more toward the outside of your gunhand. (You're tapping it straight back, right now, aren't you.)

The real key to making all of this work is to maintain a firm and steady control over the, 'center point' on the pistol's backstrap - OK. Additionally, if a heavier trigger keeps throwing you off, either polish the components or get it stoned.