PDA

View Full Version : Google pixel 2 released today for pre-order

Gray222
10-04-2017, 06:46 PM
I pre-ordered mine. Apperently you get a free home mini when you order directly from Google.

Looking forward to it.

UNK
10-04-2017, 06:49 PM
I pre-ordered mine. Apperently you get a free home mini when you order directly from Google.

Looking forward to it.

No google link with millions flowing to Tom?

Gray222
10-04-2017, 06:56 PM
No google link with millions flowing to Tom?

Pretty sure the only place to order it right now is via Google store. So I doubt PF will profit from there.

NickA
11-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Voodoo- just wondering if you'd gotten your phone yet, and if you've had any of the various issues being reported?
I held off ordering, but am still on the fence. At this point I'm seriously considering the Pixel 2 instead, due to the comparative lack of problems and I actually think the smaller size might work better for me.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

JodyH
11-03-2017, 08:56 AM
I always wait at least 6 months before buying the latest generation phones, that's about when the user beta testing results are in and hardware revision 2 is hitting the pipeline.
I've been burned too many times buying on release day.
For now my Pixel XL is still taking a full charge and is still running the latest Android version with zero lag or hiccups.
I figure in 6 months or so after a couple of OS updates and a few hundred more battery cycles it'll be just about the perfect time to upgrade.

NickA
11-03-2017, 09:12 AM
I always wait at least 6 months before buying the latest generation phones, that's about when the user beta testing results are in and hardware revision 2 is hitting the pipeline.
I've been burned too many times buying on release day.
For now my Pixel XL is still taking a full charge and is still running the latest Android version with zero lag or hiccups.
I figure in 6 months or so after a couple of OS updates and a few hundred more battery cycles it'll be just about the perfect time to upgrade.That's pretty much where I'm at. Now they've extended the warranty to two years, and are promising 3 years of software updates, so waiting a few more months won't hurt. I'm confident that the issues will get solved, just don't want to go along for the ride especially for that kind of $.
Plus my 3 year old Moto X still works fairly well, and it's nice not having to worry about if it gets damaged.

Gray222
11-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Voodoo- just wondering if you'd gotten your phone yet, and if you've had any of the various issues being reported?
I held off ordering, but am still on the fence. At this point I'm seriously considering the Pixel 2 instead, due to the comparative lack of problems and I actually think the smaller size might work better for me.

Preordered mine the moment it launched (literally watched the launch).

Zero issues, not a single hiccup or anything else. Yeah I've heard of people having issues like clicking speakers or the XL's screen ghosting or whatever. I have not experienced those issues, or any issues.

When it comes to Google's phones, I owned the original nexus, the nexus 5x, the pixel and now the pixel 2. The only issue I had with any of the phones was the 5x bricking on me after 2.5 years of use (my wife was using it) and that is a known problem which LG warrantied and I got her phone back within two weeks. Thankfully I have a scheduled backup for every mobile device and we did not lose anything.

I'd recommend getting the Pixel 2 and if you want the Pixel XL, just understand that there might be an issue with it which Google will warranty/replace without hassle (other than you not having your phone for a week or two). I generally do not like any XL or Note 8 style "phablets" as they are just too big for my purposes and do not offer anything above the standard sized phone which I care for or need.

NickA
11-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Preordered mine the moment it launched (literally watched the launch).

Zero issues, not a single hiccup or anything else. Yeah I've heard of people having issues like clicking speakers or the XL's screen ghosting or whatever. I have not experienced those issues, or any issues.

When it comes to Google's phones, I owned the original nexus, the nexus 5x, the pixel and now the pixel 2. The only issue I had with any of the phones was the 5x bricking on me after 2.5 years of use (my wife was using it) and that is a known problem which LG warrantied and I got her phone back within two weeks. Thankfully I have a scheduled backup for every mobile device and we did not lose anything.

I'd recommend getting the Pixel 2 and if you want the Pixel XL, just understand that there might be an issue with it which Google will warranty/replace without hassle (other than you not having your phone for a week or two). I generally do not like any XL or Note 8 style "phablets" as they are just too big for my purposes and do not offer anything above the standard sized phone which I care for or need.Thanks for the info. I figure it's just like we see with new gun launches, there will be a few fleas and they'll get blown up on the net but odds are you'll get something that works just fine.
And I think I agree on the size thing. Pixel 2 is the same size as what I'm using, which is actually fine since I don't watch video or anything that calls for a bigger display. After playing with my wife's S8+ I think it's just bigger than I want to carry around. Plus the price is way more palatable on the smaller model.

texasaggie2005
11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm curious to see how the new Pixels do over the next couple of months.

I'm on my third OG Pixel factory replacement in the last year. I like the phone, just not sure they're up to snuff.

Gray222
11-03-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm curious to see how the new Pixels do over the next couple of months.

I'm on my third OG Pixel factory replacement in the last year. I like the phone, just not sure they're up to snuff.

What's wrong with the other two?

One thing I found is that having a good case and going out of your way not to get them wet or dropping them goes a really long way towards keeping them working.

Pixel 2 is IP67, which I've already tested by being out in a rain storm at a crash with the phone (sans case) on my belt for about an hour. I was drenched and the phone was fine.

texasaggie2005
11-03-2017, 12:00 PM
What's wrong with the other two?

One thing I found is that having a good case and going out of your way not to get them wet or dropping them goes a really long way towards keeping them working.

Pixel 2 is IP67, which I've already tested by being out in a rain storm at a crash with the phone (sans case) on my belt for about an hour. I was drenched and the phone was fine.

1st - Bought within month of first release. Had issues right out of the box. Took myself, Google & Verizon a few weeks of back and forth to diagnose an out of spec 3.5mm jack registering ghost inputs; turning down media volume, pausing movies, ending phone calls, etc.

2nd - Dead fingerprint scanner within a week.

3rd - Severe screen burn-in after 6 months of use.

4th - 3 weeks old, no issues yet.

I've used this Incipio (https://www.incipio.com/cases/smartphone-cases/google-smartphone-cases-accessories/google-pixel-cases/dualpro-google-pixel-case.html) case for all of them. I even used that brand & style of case on the previous few model phones I've had.

But that being said, I really like the Pixel phone, if the hardware was decent.

Gray222
11-03-2017, 12:12 PM
1st - Bought within month of first release. Had issues right out of the box. Took myself, Google & Verizon a few weeks of back and forth to diagnose an out of spec 3.5mm jack registering ghost inputs; turning down media volume, pausing movies, ending phone calls, etc.

2nd - Dead fingerprint scanner within a week.

3rd - Severe screen burn-in after 6 months of use.

4th - 3 weeks old, no issues yet.

I've used this Incipio (https://www.incipio.com/cases/smartphone-cases/google-smartphone-cases-accessories/google-pixel-cases/dualpro-google-pixel-case.html) case for all of them. I even used that brand & style of case on the previous few model phones I've had.

But that being said, I really like the Pixel phone, if the hardware was decent.

Sounds like you got the short end of the stick of those pixels. I have several friends who have pixels and now pixel 2's and they had zero issues. Unfortunate but I'd almost have to say it is not indicative of that particular model.

Anyway, pixel 2, good to go.

texasaggie2005
11-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Sounds like you got the short end of the stick of those pixels.

For sure. The dead fingerprint scanner was rare, but the other issues are fairly common with the OG Pixels.

Gray222
11-03-2017, 02:23 PM
For sure. The dead fingerprint scanner was rare, but the other issues are fairly common with the OG Pixels.

Embrace the future ;)

MGW
02-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Time for a new phone. Everyone still like their Pixel 2’s? I haven’t gotten my hands on the standard Pixel 2. How does the size compare to the iPhone plus?

I’m currently using an iPhone. My first iPhone was a 3g but I upgrade rarely. Just ready for something that isn’t an iPhone. I’ve looked at everything and Google’s stock OS appeals to me the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk