PDA

View Full Version : J frame questions

GJM
01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I posted a question about trigger placement on the J frame in your training journal, although it may have gotten lost in the thread. Are you open to responding to questions about best practice in running the J frame here, or alternatively, have you posted information on this topic elsewhere on the web?

Bumdog
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I assume you are talking about trigger finger placement when shooting the J Frame. If not...there is no need to read on.
First of all, I don't consider myself an expert on the subject of trigger finger placement. I am however a former Firearms Instructor from a Mid Sized Police Department and have attended many NRA shooting schools and normally qualify each year in the 296 to 298 area out of 300 on the standard police qualification range. That being said, I 'll ask you a question. What feels comfortable and natural for you when you fire the weapon? Is first finger joint more comfortable or second finger joint more comfortable? A J Frame S&W is a small version of the larger frame guns. This poses a few advantages and a few disadvantages. Concealment is your big advantage. Loss of grip area and sight radius is your disadvantage. Holding a J Frame and firing is not like holding a K Frame and firing. Two different animals. The smaller J Frame puts your hands on smaller grips. Usually lets the little finger dangle out there in space and is somewhat shorter between the grip and the trigger. I have found that for me, the best placement on a J Frame is a death grip on the grips and second joint on the trigger. This, of course, is for double action shooting. I do not shoot my J Frames in single action. They are defense guns and defense of life has no need for single action shooting. Learn to shoot your gun in a way that is comfortable for you. Then learn to shoot it accurately from that comfortable grip. Read all you can on others styles and techniques, try them out and you may find some that work for you. I wouldn't go doing anything too funky just cause someone say's it's the latest style or phase of defense shooting. In a tense situation, you will always revert back to what feels good and is natural for you. Practice that way and improve on it and you should not go wrong.

GJM
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info -- I should have been more specific. I have been shooting wheel guns, mostly N frames for years, and taken two Gunsite course plus a Morrigan Consulting course with various N frames (629, 625 LC and 610). To avoid the "I am a guy, I know everything about firearms syndrome," and what could be different about shooting a J frame than N frame, I am interested in best practice for shooting a J frame, and especially if these techniques are different than with larger revolvers. Start with three questions:

1) I use the crease between the first two joints to pull the trigger with a larger revolver, and assume that is the same with a J frame?

2) I tuck both thumbs down in my normal revolver grip, which works well with the Hogue rubber grips (finger grooves buzzed off) I favor on N frames, but if I am not careful, my trigger finger runs into my support thumb (through the trigger guard) when running a J frame?

3) My two hand grip with a J frame doesn't feel as strong as when shooting a semi-auto, and wonder if that is normal, or there is something I am missing?

TGS
01-19-2012, 10:16 PM
With regards to your grip, one tip that I got from TCinVA was to cross your support hand thumb over your firing hand. It helped, and kept the support hand thumb out of the way. Something to try.

lcarr
01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't use it myself, at least not yet, but you might want to check out Jerry Miculek's J-frame-specific technique at http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html.

Lincoln

TCinVA
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Seeing Jerry's tip on the TV show prompted me to give it a try, and that's the grip I've been using on small handguns (and even medium-sized revolvers) ever since. It works better than anything else I've ever tried.

Small guns have less to hold on to, which leads to less control and more difficulty in holding the little thing steady while you work a heavy trigger. Jerry's grip solves those problems nicely.

GJM
01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks, guys -- the J frame specific technique solved my problems 2 and 3 above.

Spr1
01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
If you have a Centennial style like a 642 or 442, another trick is to get your hand as high as possible on the backstrap.

GAP
10-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Good morning, I just recently purchased my first S&W 642. I played around with ammo and got the POA/POI sorted out, now I'm curious about grip.

I was wondering if you guys are doing what is described here: http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

Over lapping your thumb behind the j-frame, or if you've moved on to something else since this post in 2012?

I have large, strong hands, long fingers. Over lapping my thumbs seems to keep everything "organized" and out of the way. Thoughts?