PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Control

Tom Givens
10-04-2017, 03:42 PM
RE: Tom’s Health

In late September I had a colonoscopy, something I have to do every few years because of a family history of colon cancer and a personal history of polyps. During my September procedure, the doctor removed two of what he described as “big, ugly polyps”. Awaiting results from the pathology lab, I went to Franklin, TN, to conduct a class.

Arriving in Franklin on this past Thursday, I set up the classroom, went to dinner with one of the AI’s and went to my hotel room. Around 8:30pm I started passing copious amounts of bright arterial blood, in scary quantities. I called my Florida doctor, who sent me to the ER. At the ER I was immediately admitted, then sent to the ICU.

I was treated in the ICU until Friday afternoon, then transferred to a regular room for the remainder of Friday and Friday night. At 7:00 am Saturday I was discharged, so at 8:30am I was able to be on the range teaching the scheduled class.

I’m back home now, and we went today to see the GI doctor who did the colonoscopy. The lab said the removed polyps were adenomatous, the type that turn into cancer if not found in time. These, however, were found and excised, so I am fine. The bleeding episodes are believed to be caused by something breaking the scabs formed over the two excisions in my colon where the ugly polyps were removed. It happens.

I’m fine and back on my regular schedule.

Many thanks to everyone who inquired about me and sent positive vibes my way. Lynn was in Florida and was very worried and upset, so your support and concern helped her tremendously. Thank you very much.

Tom

Wondering Beard
10-04-2017, 03:57 PM
This must have been very scary and I'm overjoyed that everything is ok

Keep up the colonoscopies. I have to do those as well and while no fun at all they can be a life saver as you've experienced.

RJ
10-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Very much thinking of you Tom, and Lynn.

Gail and I will keep you in our prayers.

EricP
10-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Glad all is well.

Bigghoss
10-04-2017, 04:12 PM
My dad had a similar episode a few years ago. Had a colonoscopy and a few polyps removed. Said the doctor forgot to tell him to be careful what he ate for a couple days so he went out right after the procedure to chow down at his favorite breakfast spot since he hadn't eaten in 24 hours and next thing he knows he's passing blood. Glad to hear everything it OK.

Mark D
10-04-2017, 04:42 PM
That's pretty scary. Glad everything is OK.

LOKNLOD
10-04-2017, 04:44 PM
You’ll be in our prayers, Tom!

BJJ
10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Tom,

I had no idea this had happened. I am so glad that you are doing ok. Please continue to take care of yourself. We need you around for a long time to come!

Zincwarrior
10-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Good news. Also ixnay eating the ghost peppereys...

BillSWPA
10-04-2017, 05:13 PM
That must have been quite a scare, and glad you are okay. Another vote for keeping up the colonoscopies. Even when things go perfectly, the prep is no fun, but the possible alternative is far, far worse.

WobblyPossum
10-04-2017, 05:23 PM
I’m glad to hear you’re okay Tom. I’m looking forward to training with you again in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lex Luthier
10-04-2017, 08:39 PM
This is perhaps the first time in my half-century that I've experienced the quashing of a rumor I had not even heard yet.

Glad you are well and on the mend, Tom! Your podcasts and writing have made a more aware and better prepared man out of me.

SeriousStudent
10-04-2017, 08:42 PM
My goodness, I am very relieved to hear that you are mending.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

StraitR
10-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Scary stuff. Glad you're on the upswing, Tom. And good on you for seeing that Doc regularly.

okie john
10-04-2017, 10:39 PM
It happens.

That is a masterful understatement.

Welcome back. It's impressive that you didn't let a little thing like shitting arterial blood keep you from teaching a class.

Okie John

blues
10-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear everything's turned out okay. Bottoms up! ;)

Willard
10-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear you are ok Tom. Hope you stay that way. All the very best.

FrankinCA
10-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Best of health to you Tom.

11B10
10-05-2017, 07:32 AM
This is the first I heard of your trials, Tom - so very glad everything is good to go!

RE: the prep - I was pleasantly surprised when I had my last cscopy, about six months ago. It's nothing like it used to be, at least with my Dr.

Jared
10-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear you're ok. My grandmother passed of colon cancer 6 years ago. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, ever.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Ditto on all the good wishes!

psalms144.1
10-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Best wishes - hope you stay 100% for a long, long time!

Guinnessman
10-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Tom,

Glad to hear you are doing well! We lost my Father in Law and Grandfather to colorectal cancer. Stay healthy and thank you for all you contribute to the forum!

GJM
10-05-2017, 01:58 PM
My wife and I are on the every five-year colonoscopy program, due to family history for each of us. Please don't avoid these checks, even if there can be complications like Tom experienced. Most people make a choice to die from colon cancer, given how preventable it is with regular examinations.

Kyle Reese
10-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Glad that you're okay, Tom. We'll be keeping you and Lynn on our prayers.